Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car 1988 - Signature Series Sedan not running smooth in 4th gear / High gear

RBA_2395RBA_2395 Member Posts: 2
edited January 2019 in Lincoln
Hello! I have 1988 Lincoln Town Car - Signature Series Sedan which has done 97,000 km. The problem is that when the car goes from 3rd to 4th gear, the car seems like taking to much power to run around 110 kmp/h - 120 kmp/h as it is V8 5.0 liters engine and it’s not running smooth as it does in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear and it also giving bad mileage. I also have changed the spark plugs and cables and also i have cleaned the fuel injectors. Kindly help me out in this regard.

Regards, 
Rayed, 
rayed_aslam@hotmail.com

Answers

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Since you're describing it as "taking too much power" to run in 4th gear, it sounds like you're saying the power from the engine is not making the car move efficiently, rather than the engine itself is starting to run rough. There could be a problem with 4th gear in the transmission. Do you have any of the same symptoms in lower gears?
  • RBA_2395RBA_2395 Member Posts: 2
    No, in the lower gears the car is running smoothly as it should be but the problem is that why not in the 4th gear? The smooth flow isn’t the 4th gear as it should be. And by “taking too much power” i meant that the car is V8 5.0 liters and it is acting like it’s just 2.0 V4 and acting like we are going on 170 - 190 kmp/h but in reality I’m going on just 110 -130 kmp/h.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You might have a torque converter problem here. I would have the car checked and road tested by a transmission shop, possibly one recommended by your dealer or your trusted repair shop.