Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry XLE-V6

darryldarryl Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Considering buying a 2000 Toyota Camry XLE-V6.
Anyone have any negative comments?

Comments

• juzefjuzef Member Posts: 37
    darryl:

I pick up a 2000 Toyota Camry XLE V6 today with
    HZ,MG,WZ,TN options for $25,692. The color I'm
    getting is cashmere beige. I'll post any problems I
    notice on this site. From what I hear and have seen,
    it's a beautiful car inside and out. Reliability and
    quality are excellant.

Joseph
    in Vermont
  • abt2abt2 Member Posts: 2
    PRAY TELL------ WHAT ARE THE OPTIONS HZ-MG-WZ-AND TN---WHERE CAN ONE FIND THESE LISTED:::::::::::::
  • gusgus Member Posts: 254
    Be advised that 6-cyl maintenance costs, over the long term, are usually greater then 4-cyl maintenance costs. This seems obvious when you hear it, but it's something many people gloss over when they choose a 6 cylinder model of a car over the 4 cylinder model.
    obt2:

I've found that there are three BEST places to find out about the details regarding options, specs, invoice, reliability and such.

1.) Ultimate Accuracy-> the specific auto website
    it'self. For the Camry, http://www.toyota.com
    lays out the details but one may find their webpage a bit unuserfriendly.
    2.) Ultimately Simple-> Kelly Blue Book is as simple as Edmunds but Kelly lays out the standard equipment and options much cleaner. Thats:
    http://www.kbb.com
    3.) Ultimate Information and Power to Consumer->
    Edmunds is by far the most informative of all. They provide the consumer with easilly accessible knoweldge that is KEY to purchasing an auto with
    a sense of confidence. http://www.edmunds.com

By the way..
    HZ->extravalue package for XLE(sunroof, leather seats, 6cd changer, side airbags, power seats..
    MG-> Mud Gaurds
    TN-> Traction Control
    WZ-> Alloy Wheel Locks

Have Fun
    Joseph
    in Vermont
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    Good call on the Traction control. :)

Living in Vermont, I can imagine cars without TC will have a hell of a time thru the winter. Even cars here in South Eastern Michigan are having a hard time without it.
  • bechtelbechtel Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 XLE. Now has 22,000 miles on it. Never been back to the dealer and have not had one problem of any kind. Great quiet ride.
    I got my new Camry on Monday 10/25/99. It is a dream.
    Sweet car. 2000 Camry XLE V6 with sunroof, leather,
    climate control, traction control, 6CD changer..the works.
    I payed $25,800 including doc fees excluding 6%
    tax/registration. I think this car fits me well..and I love
    the color Cashmere Beige.

Joseph
    in Vermont
  • billmahanbillmahan Member Posts: 68
    This is the first I've heard that 6cyl maintenance is more expensive than a 4cyl. I'm not disagreeing, or saying you are wrong, but...

It seems to me that the 4 will be worked much harder over the same miles than a 6 would. Just look at the difference in RPMs at 60mph on a 4 compared to the RPMs on a 6 at 60 mph. It's like the little engine that could. It can, but it has to work a whole lot harder to do it.

I would never own a 4cyl. I drive on 2 lane highways and the additional passing time required by the 4 is not something I can afford. I have a '94 Camry XLE, a '97 Camry XLE, and a '00 Camry Solara SLE. All V-6s. On the first two we have had no unscheduled maintenance 70,000 and 26,000 miles respectively. The engines have been perfect.

I rent 4cyl Camrys from Hertz almost monthly on my job. Good cars.....but not nearly as good as the 6cyl. Cost a little more upfront, but worth it.......in my opinion.

Good luck and I would sincerely appreciate any knowledge regarding why a 6 cylinder maintenance would be more than a 4. It never hurts to learn something you don't know.
    1.) How do I increase range of remote?
    2.) How can I increase loudness of remote beeps?

As many of you know, I own a 2000 Camry XLE V6.
    Does anyone know how, or if it is possible at all, to
    increase the distance effectivness of the remote
    unlock/lock/panic? It only works for about 15 or so
    feet. What's the point of the panic button at that
    distance?? Also, I was wondering if it is possible
    to increase the beep sounds that occur when you
    press a button. They are very dim and too low
    to be heard. This is useful when you can't
    see your car in a dense parkinglot.

Your help is appreciated.

Joseph Maroun
    in Vermont
  • phild2phild2 Member Posts: 2
    The RS3000 remote on my 99 works at distances more than 25 feet away. There is some directional dependence though. It works best when approaching the vehicle from broadside. If I approach the vehicle from behind, the range is somewhat shorter. Also, there may or may not be a "pointing" factor when operating the remote at long ranges. I haven't decided yet, but it seems to me that if I am close enough (say 10 feet), I can operate the remote while it is in my pocket, but at longer ranges (20+ feet), it seems as though I have to point the remote at the car for reliable operation. Just my observations...

I can't help you with the volume of the beeps. No ideas there. Presumably the lights still flash on the 2000 models as they do on the older models (once=alarm on; twice=alarm off). If you can't hear the beeps from far away, you should still be able to see the lights flash, no?

Phil
  • phild2phild2 Member Posts: 2
    I just checked the manual for my RS3000 remote. It claims a maximum operating range of 50 feet. The caveats are that the range may be reduced by weak batteries, your position relative to the vehicle's antenna wire, and any surrounding infrastructure (buildings, hight tension power lines, etc)...

Phil
  • zeeboopzeeboop Member Posts: 1
    From what I have heard about the 6.I have owned 2 4 cyl a 84 LE,92 LE.The 6 cost more when you do a timing belt change and if you need a transmission rebuilt or replaced it costs a moderate amount more.From what I was told was that the timing belt replacement is more involved with the 6 and the automatic is a different unit than the 4 cyl.model.I think if you don't plan to keep the car over a long time >10000 mi, then some of these repair costs wouln't matter.
  • seturiseturi Member Posts: 1
    I placed an order for XLE 4 cyl. with HZ, MG and Fog lights for 24000 + tax etc. I am sure this is a high price I am paying but can someone tell me if I am paying too much or just a little more? The dealer is charging ad fee, hold back, wholesale fin serv. fee etc.

Seturi
  • pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    There are a whole bunch of topics in our Sedans conference and our Smart Shopper conference on all trim levels of the Camry. These are much better places to find pricing information.

Why don't you use the Search feature at left to find them. This conference focuses on maintenance and repair through the life of the vehicle.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • billmahanbillmahan Member Posts: 68
    I have a '94 XLE, a '97 XLE and, of course, the '00 Solara. On the '94 and '00 everything is working fine.

On the '97 I am hearing what I can only describe as a "groaning, grinding" noise when I apply the brakes. Even if you brake only moderately hard, the front end noses down a little and when the car comes back up this noise is heard. But only if you continue to apply the brakes. If you let off the brakes as the car comes back, the noise is not present.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this? I tested all three cars today and only the '97 made this noise. The '94 XLE and the '00 Solara were perfectly quiet.

Thanks in advance,

Bill
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Friends, in the interest of helping our members find the right information fast, we're trying to consolidate similar topics into one. Let's continue this conversation in topic #597, Camry Problems. Thank you!

carlady/roving host
  • mustangomustango Member Posts: 1
    My mom just purchased a 2000 Camry XLE V6 with Value Package #2 (side airbags, cd changer, leather, sunroof, etc), Factory Alarm, Wheel Locks, Mudguards and Sunroof Wind Deflector for $25K flat + tax and fees. We used CarOrder.com's pricing in price negotiation. My only regret is forgetting that $150 voucher which Edmunds advertises :(
This discussion has been closed.