Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004 Pontiac Grand Am Starting Issue?

justynsmith24justynsmith24 Member Posts: 5
edited January 2019 in Pontiac
I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am with around 105,000 miles. It has the 3.4L V6 engine. It always starts. When it is cold (even -20) it will start right up, without me having to hold the key until it starts. The same happens if I were, for example, get gas, and let it sit for about 5 - 10 minutes. If I let it sit much longer, though, I have to hold the key for my car to start, sometimes for about 3-5 seconds. This always happens unless I let it sit overnight and cool completely down or only let it sit for a couple minutes. It has been like this since I bought it, and I don't know why it does this or if it is a large problem or not. What is wrong and how can I fix this?

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hard to point to just one answer here. It might be a good idea to see if any trouble codes are stored; also you might consider the last time you had the car tuned up. There could be a variety of things going on here--a faulty coolant temperature sensor for instance, or maybe old spark plug wires.