Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Purchasing a new vehicle out of state and register in CA

jcfghjcfgh Member Posts: 2
edited January 2019 in General
I'm thinking about buying a brand new car out of state and register it in CA. I'm on the CA DMV website, and I don't see a formal list of instructions. Can someone direct me?

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316
    jcfgh said:

I'm thinking about buying a brand new car out of state and register it in CA. I'm on the CA DMV website, and I don't see a formal list of instructions. Can someone direct me?

What state are you planning to buy from, and why?

You'll have to pay the DMV fees (usually around 1.1% of MSRP) to get registered in CA.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    jcfghjcfgh Member Posts: 2
    i'm thinking about buying from Indiana or Ohio, because of the price.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316
    jcfgh said:

And then get it back to CA how?

I'd think the transport costs may eat up some of that savings you'll get.

I'm not saying it won't work - I had a friend of mine here in CO by a Honda Civic Type R in Kentucky and had it shipped, and still saved money over buying it local. This was when the Type R was routinely selling for lots over sticker, and they were rare.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    jcfgh said:

Ohio won't be a problem. They'll just give you a non-resident title. You'll then pay tax and registration in CA.
    Indiana has some weird sales tax regulations, and if you aren't in a contiguous state with reciprocity, I would avoid buying there.

Are you financing or paying cash?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator