Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Have an 09 T&C and the starter will not disengage

Nomad1488Nomad1488 Member Posts: 4
edited February 2019 in Chrysler
Battery went bad in my wife’s T&C and I changed it. The next day when she went to start it the starter would not quit engaging. It will stay engaged until it for about 30 sec and then turn itself off. The motor will fire during that time but when it fires and try’s to start the starter will not disengage. I have taken the starter off and had it tested and it’s good. So can anyone tell me what’s going on.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    You most likely have a short. It's time to check the wiring (not in the starter itself).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Nomad1488Nomad1488 Member Posts: 4
    Would you have any idea where to start looking
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    When you release the ignition key, the voltage to the solenoid should turn off. If it stays on, you either have a short somewhere north of the solenoid that is feeding current when it shouldn't be (bad ignition switch? frayed "hot" wire touching another wire and feeding current into it?) OR you could have a bad solenoid (which is a kind of relay, that could be sticking).

Here's some DIAGNOSTIC ROUTINES you can try. These are for Ford but the general idea is the same.