Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Inconsiderate Drivers II (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited January 2019
    Yup back to back x 2, 45 degrees days are not supportive for higher elevation snow to skiing.
    So given the POLAR VOTEX/s, it seems almost ironic to pray for storms to support snow for skiing to snow camping. But ironically enough, the storms are hitting the areas where a lot of those people that believe in global warming live.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-cold-wave-lingers-lose-bite-weekend-095656237.html

Us heathen/sinners pray for record snow! Even the global warmists take showers, use toilets, & drink water, from the Sierra snow pack!
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    kyfdx said:

xwesx said:

It IS balmy!

-3F here this morning, and it feels pleasant enough. :)

Same here.. :(
    Well, I'm glad you're enjoying it! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    ruking1 said:

Yup back to back x 2, 45 degrees days are not supportive for higher elevation snow to skiing.
    So given the POLAR VOTEX/s, it seems almost ironic to pray for storms to support snow for skiing to snow camping. But ironically enough, the storms are hitting the areas where a lot of those people that believe in global warming live.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-cold-wave-lingers-lose-bite-weekend-095656237.html

Us heathen/sinners pray for record snow! Even the global warmists take showers, use toilets, & drink water, from the Sierra snow pack!

No doubt! When I hear news of storms expected in the Sierra, it sounds like nothing but good news to me!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited January 2019
    Yes ! God answers pray! I guess something shifted (missed the technical TMI weather terms) and the local news are expecting 3 to 5 feet of snow in the Sierras, Friday to Monday. I say AMEN to yippee, yahoo! The local news mentioned that we are currently at 98% (vs 68% last year) of the snow levels!
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    fintail said:

This is both very believable and also hard to believe - from my experiences, OR is no better for driving than WA.

Oregon and Washington, at least in the I-5 corridor, both suffer from the same "queueing" mentality as Wisconsin. There can be a long queue of cars in the left lane, at or barely above SL, just "waiting" for the next overtake, with LOTS of open real estate in the right lane. And they get really nasty if someone attempts to overtake on the right.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,143
    I've had that happen, dolt speeding up as I pass. Fortunately, most of these drones chicken out around 70-75, and enforcement is mostly lax, so bring it on B)

Cruising down I5 in non-jammed traffic can be entertaining, often the second to the right lane is the most open, and easiest for real speeding.

ronsteve said:

Oregon and Washington, at least in the I-5 corridor, both suffer from the same "queueing" mentality as Wisconsin. There can be a long queue of cars in the left lane, at or barely above SL, just "waiting" for the next overtake, with LOTS of open real estate in the right lane. And they get really nasty if someone attempts to overtake on the right.

edited February 2019
    Yes, that’s been my experiences also. I’ve easily past 25 to 30 cars @ a time before getting back into the (real) SLOW lane. (if you know what I mean.)
    edited February 2019
    I've been stuck behind a line in the left lane going the speed limit on the nose, with sparse traffic beside it. Eventually I will become irritated, and start passing on the right - often moving past 5-10 in the queue, just dilly-dallying along, nobody having the desire or courage to pass on the right. I know passing on the right is technically verboten in places where driving is treated more seriously, but this isn't western Europe in many ways.
    fintail said:

I know passing on the right is technically verboten in places where driving is treated more seriously, but this isn't western Europe in many ways.

Well, if they didn't want to be passed on the right, then they would not be driving in the left lane. ;)
    edited February 2019
    Ditto on the above two posts.

If anybody has ever been stuck behind a fully loaded tractor trailer trying to PASS another FULLY loaded tractor trailer should be able to understand the concept of keeping right EXCEPT to pass. Just because one in the passing is going faster than an overtaking vehicle is a GROSS misunderstanding.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    fintail said:

I've had that happen, dolt speeding up as I pass. Fortunately, most of these drones chicken out around 70-75, and enforcement is mostly lax, so bring it on B)

Cruising down I5 in non-jammed traffic can be entertaining, often the second to the right lane is the most open, and easiest for real speeding.

ronsteve said:

Dolts that speed up when you go to pass them (usually forced on the right) don't get an opportunity to compete with me on acceleration. I am stage 1 tuned in either vehicle, and I'll be 2 shifts into my acceleration before they get it kicked into gear or have any throttle response.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    As I think I've stated before, in undisclosed laboratory tests on US Freeways and Highways, almost all humans will pass on the right when impeded on the left. Slower pokes passing slow pokes. Slowest pokiest being passed by the slower and pokey.

In some situations, these were left lane campers being out left-lane camped. Test results indicate that even they would quickly pass on the right, in almost every instance.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Makes sense. Nobody likes being in knotted up traffic... it just doesn't feel comfortable. Why? Well, probably because we inherently realize that it is less safe than traveling in more open conditions. So, we seek those conditions. Perfectly reasonable.
    In Europe, it is a faux pas at the least (if not simply illegal) to pass on the right, and many are unwilling to do it. Of course, their more developed driving culture has far less LLCs than freedomland, so maybe that makes sense.
    edited February 2019
    In the USA, passing on the right/middle, etc., when the situations presents, makes all the practical sense. Passing on the right, while technically against the law, in SOME states, has exceptions that literally tractor trailers have driven through, of course.

I’ve even seen HP leo’s pass LLC’s on the right rather than code them to move right or pull them over.

So for example, you could almost never enforce that in the LA metropolitan freeway system. But then LA, CA has the best speeding, chase, bumper car, crash, flee & arrest videos !🤪
    edited February 2019
    We have around 5" of snow here this morning, best snow event for at least a few years as far as I know. Nowadays they actually plow and treat the roads (didn't happen 10 years ago) but still funny to see local "drivers" dealing with it. Overcompensator 4x4s flying along without a care (until there's a curve in the road with a ditch), timid people who shouldn't be driving in dry sunny conditions creeping along with no idea where they are on the road. And I am sick, so I have a real excuse to not go out in it, although I am sure the office is empty anyway.
    edited February 2019
    South Lake Tahoe, CA reports 19 in (1.5 ft +) in the last 24 hrs. https://www.skiheavenly.com/
    I’m not sure what that does to the overall Sierra snow pack, since last report of @ 98%.

We get something like this plowing our streets. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grader

Hope you are both getting better & feeling so. Going to the office when no one is there is a good thing in many ways.
    I'd have gone in if I wasn't sick, snow doesn't scare me. An empty office can be good indeed. I am better than yesterday anyway, I will drive in tomorrow no problem.

I just saw an interesting way to clear streets - large ladder fire truck fully chained with a sanding truck behind it. My street is now slushy with no real issues.

Another thing - cars completely covered other than a 1x1 viewing hole for the windshield. Insanely stupid.
    edited February 2019
    Down here the nurses almost twist your arms & mug you to get the lastest version flu shots ! Over the last 20 years, I’ve passed almost every year. I’ve never caught the flu, nor colds for that matter.

The asset is normally sitting around, so for a few more maintenance $$’s, it’s probably a good secondary application, benefiting the taxpayers.

This situation described is an all around safety hazard for the actual driver and those behind and around the arrogant driver. It probably masks the scofflaw’s tool box of bad habits.
    I think I might have got food poisoning. Awfully big coincidence I got sick after eating oddly one afternoon. I seldom get a bad cold or flu, lucky that way.

Should be well below freezing tonight, tomorrow morning might be fun, but I think most of the real arterials are clear now. After the 2008 snow boondoggle, there was pressure to finally get equipment.
    fintail said:

I think I might have got food poisoning. Awfully big coincidence I got sick after eating oddly one afternoon. I seldom get a bad cold or flu, lucky that way.

Should be well below freezing tonight, tomorrow morning might be fun, but I think most of the real arterials are clear now. After the 2008 snow boondoggle, there was pressure to finally get equipment.

Why did you eat oddly? :D
    edited February 2019
    A DQ Blizzard, of all things, for the first time in ages. 4 hours later I felt like I was on my last legs, and I was weak as a baby for the next 24 hours (although I tried to play hockey the next morning, bad idea, and driving was also an unusual experience).
    xwesx said:

Why did you eat oddly? :D

edited February 2019
    One nightly news indicates that BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) loses $ 25 M + a year to fare scofflaws! I’m sure if you put that together with pay for lane use would be even more staggering.

Speaking of blizzards, Highway 80, one of 2 major highways into the Tahoe, CA/NV area, has been closed due to heavy snowfall & blizzard warnings.
    edited February 2019
    Maybe it woud cost more to police and collect those fares than they are worth. I know in Europe they have random fare police on some trains, but it is generally a less armed and violent society, and probably less prone to incidents.

I plan on braving the roads in the morning, not too worried, I will take it easy.
    I’m not sure what % of the “take” $25 M + actually is. So $25 M by itself can mean a lot to peanuts, as might be implied.
    Yes, either lots of scofflaws there, or fairly steep fares!

As for the Blizzard.... shocking! I would never expect such a thing from a frozen treat, but it could certainly happen. Food poisoning is just terrible. Makes for one helluva 24 hours! :( Glad to hear you're on the mend.
    There will always be some kind of fare evasion, I think. Making it zero probably isn't cost effective.

I am doing better today, still a bit tired but came to work. Roads had a few icy spots but were generally fine. I notice the city did a better job clearing the arterials than the state did with their off-ramps - where an offramp meets my route was a weird border of bare to snow.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    edited February 2019
    fintail said:

I notice the city did a better job clearing the arterials than the state did with their off-ramps - where an offramp meets my route was a weird border of bare to snow.

We have the same situation here where city streets and provincial highways meet. Usually but not always the city does a better job. I never understood why the two govts never sat down and said one or the other would be responsible for the entire system in a given spot, and just bill back or otherwise account for whatever the excess cost is to the other body.

The number of freeze/thaw/freeze cycles we've had over the last month has really done a number on some areas of highways where maintenance was deferred last year. What were shallow craters in the asphalt are now bomber practice areas, a real mess.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited February 2019
    There was a big snow event here in 2008 that lasted a couple weeks. There was effectively no road clearing by most cities, and the state did no more than now. It created enough political blowback (mayor soundly lost the next election directly linked to the event) in Seattle to where they at least bought some plow attachments and sanding apparatus, and now many suburbs have it.

I fear what the roads will be like here in a month, as we could be in for a couple weeks of freeze/thaw too, and what are likely lowest bidder road surfaces seldom age well. Makes a truck or SUV look appealing, 2 years ago my car was damaged by a crater pothole, and telling the city about it was almost like dealing with a brick wall.
    ab348 said:

We have the same situation here where city streets and provincial highways meet. Usually but not always the city does a better job. I never understood why the two govts never sat down and said one or the other would be responsible for the entire system in a given spot, and just bill back or otherwise account for whatever the excess cost is to the other body.

The number of freeze/thaw/freeze cycles we've had over the last month has really done a number on some areas of highways where maintenance was deferred last year. What were shallow craters in the asphalt are now bomber practice areas, a real mess.

ruking1 said:

Got to love minus- 50 F to -60 F windchill.

Oh & I do remember being out for 10 hour days of minus- 50 F to minus-70 F! (upstate NY.)

South Lake Tahoe, CAvis a “killer” at 44° F.👌

Thing is, the wind chill calculation was changed in 2001, and now gives less weight to the wind speed. So the -50F wind chill we were hearing about last week was closer to -70F in old money.
    fintail said:

In Europe, it is a faux pas at the least (if not simply illegal) to pass on the right, and many are unwilling to do it. Of course, their more developed driving culture has far less LLCs than freedomland, so maybe that makes sense.

LLCing is also illegal in some US states, and more so in Europe.
    edited February 2019
    On highways 80/50 in and out of Lake Tahoe, NV/ CA, chains are required,except for: four-wheel-drive vehicles....http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi?roadnumber=80&submit=Search
    http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi?roadnumber=50&submit=Search
    I only get concerned when they do NOT let chained snow removal equipment run.
    Yup, illegal, but not well-enforced.

It's almost a social faux-pas as well in Europe, people usually refrain just to not look dumb. Here, looking dumb can almost be like a contest.
    ronsteve said:

LLCing is also illegal in some US states, and more so in Europe.

edited February 2019
    As in the Robert DiNero impression, WHAT!? You talkin to ...ME? What ? You got a problem with that ? 😜
    fintail said:

I'm trying to think of a similar faux pas in the US. Maybe the carpool/HOV lane. Speeders will often avoid crossing into the HOV lane illegally at all costs if they are all by themselves in the car (even if they break the speed law 100% of the time they drive). However, a particularly egregious left lane camper could cause them to do it, and I'd think most of the public at large would be more understanding of the faux pas in such a situation.
    The part of the public that wouldn't be understanding is the LEO's that would issue an expensive citation, not for VC 21654 (Slower Traffic Keep Right), but for the damn carpool violation which is big bucks in CA.
    fintail said:

I'd have gone in if I wasn't sick, snow doesn't scare me. An empty office can be good indeed. I am better than yesterday anyway, I will drive in tomorrow no problem.

I just saw an interesting way to clear streets - large ladder fire truck fully chained with a sanding truck behind it. My street is now slushy with no real issues.

Another thing - cars completely covered other than a 1x1 viewing hole for the windshield. Insanely stupid.

Those drivers generally don't look anyway, so what's the point of having a viewing hole if they don't view? :smile:
    fintail said:

Maybe it woud cost more to police and collect those fares than they are worth. I know in Europe they have random fare police on some trains, but it is generally a less armed and violent society, and probably less prone to incidents.

I plan on braving the roads in the morning, not too worried, I will take it easy.

You'd think something being "frozen" would kill the viruses in it that poison you. Still, I suspect ice cream gave me my worst food poisoning in my lifetime, and it was a 10 out of 10 on the pain scale for quite some time. I was in the fetal position completely immobilized.
    Killing the bugs depends entirely on how cold and how tolerant of cold they are. Things like freezers and refrigerators don't generally kill microbes, the colder temperatures just slow/suspend their activity. So, if the nasty was there prior the freezing, then it can "come back" after introduction to a nice, warm digestive tract! :(
    edited February 2019
    The products’ despenser/delivery system was probably to blame, i.e., poor cleaning procedures, to not done for a while or @ all.
    I've used the HOV lane to get around LLCs before (here most HOV are still just a stripe, no double lines or bumps etc dividing them from regular lanes). No cops around, it's not illegal if you don't get caught B)

andres3 said:

I'm trying to think of a similar faux pas in the US. Maybe the carpool/HOV lane. Speeders will often avoid crossing into the HOV lane illegally at all costs if they are all by themselves in the car (even if they break the speed law 100% of the time they drive). However, a particularly egregious left lane camper could cause them to do it, and I'd think most of the public at large would be more understanding of the faux pas in such a situation.
    The part of the public that wouldn't be understanding is the LEO's that would issue an expensive citation, not for VC 21654 (Slower Traffic Keep Right), but for the damn carpool violation which is big bucks in CA.

I suspect that was it, whatever it was just hibernated for a while. Then I came along, and it was time to party!

Funny thing, I told a coworker who lives near that location about my woes. He just shook his head, and said he knows better. Maybe the nearly empty parking lot should have been a clue.
    xwesx said:

Killing the bugs depends entirely on how cold and how tolerant of cold they are. Things like freezers and refrigerators don't generally kill microbes, the colder temperatures just slow/suspend their activity. So, if the nasty was there prior the freezing, then it can "come back" after introduction to a nice, warm digestive tract! :(

The NHTSA pads the “speed kills” myth by playing deceptive tricks with numbers.

On their current web page about the dangers of speeding, they claim 26% of all fatalities in 2016 were caused by speeding.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/speeding

This is inherently and explicitly false. Around 3% of all collisions and fatalities can be remotely attributed to speed.

If you look at their blue box of info with 3 button tabs, the first one states that 49% of their 26% figure comes from people that are so dumb they weren’t wearing their seat belts.

The third tab shows that another 37% of that 26% figure was from drunks.

How biased do you need to be to include drunks and non-seat-belt wearers in your stat to blame “speeders?”

So that leaves you with only 14% of the original 26% figure. This is all basic reasonable logic, and doesn’t require advanced math.

14% of 26% is 3.6%. That coincides with the buried studies from the NHTSA/Dept. of Transportation on the Causal factors of Collisions and Fatalities.

Question your sources…. follow the money for the motive. Insurance companies are run by evil humans, and they are running the government. Really no other way to call it.
    edited February 2019
    It also goes without saying, defacto the OVERWHELMING majority (96.4%) of fatalities and injuries are not due to “SPEED.”

It’s also becoming clearer that DWI/DUI, etc., are not confined to the stereotypical, Friday, Saturday NIGHT, popping just one, to commode hugging drunk episodes. Some non specific statistics indicate it’s a 24/7 phenomenon. In fact, I have not seen these statistics in a while, but the average person who drinks while they drive has been so approximately 2000 times before even a casual run in with the law.
    edited February 2019
    Speed is a good bogeyman to justify LEO work and insurance profits. In my opinion, it probably works like this: under the influence and speeding = speed. Distracted and speeding = speed. Mental issues and speeding = speed.
    edited February 2019
    While your post may or may not be true, it is also my perspective. To adjudicate a (CA) DWI/DUI, etc. I’m told & have readIt takes app $ 10,000 minimum. Insurance premiums naturally rise.
    edited February 2019
    I’m not sure I understand given: winter conditions, new tires, new oil change, normal choking commuting, 37.2 mpg (569 miles) /15.3 gal @ app 1,000 miles on new tires & oil change. We don’t add the DEF, (2.5 gal to 5gal +) till low lamp lights.Long story short, all these factors tend to shorten mpg figures.
    fintail said:

Speed is a good bogeyman to justify LEO work and insurance profits. In my opinion, it probably works like this: under the influence and speeding = speed. Distracted and speeding = speed. Mental issues and speeding = speed.

It turns out, even "Asleep at the wheel while exceeding the posted speed limit = speed.
    edited February 2019
    Asleep to my uneducated ( I’m not a professional in that industry) perspective falls under “distracted” driving.
    ruking1 said:

Asleep to my uneducated perspective falls under “distracted” driving.

I suppose an argument could be made for that. Asleep is the extreme of "drowsy/fatigued," which is also a major factor in collisions and death. Distracted by your sleepiness? I'll buy it.
    edited February 2019
    I’m looking at the ATT Pro Am, Pebble Beach, Spy Glass, Spanish Bay, golf courses. Monterey Bay, area, CA. They are taking just absolutely beautiful coastal Bay shots! CA can be a state of great contrasts. My daughter with friends, one doctor is from Georgia, are going to Lodi, CA for wine tasting. Further northeast, Heavenly Valley ski resort has a 198 in (16.5 ft) snow 86 in base. Snow for CA H20 is at 125% +. Skiing is EXCELLENT!
This discussion has been closed.