Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    driver100 said:

ab348 said:

fintail said:

No system is perfect and no doubt there are issues there, but I don't personally know any Canadians (or anyone else in the developed world) demanding an American style system. I wonder why that is.

Jumping to an extreme case does not help one's argument.

Many Canadians would be happier with a system that is a hybrid and allows some sort of flexibility to get care faster/better if there was some supplemental coverage or a private component. But that is called "jumping the queue" which is deemed somehow evil by those defenders of the state system.
    Sometimes even free isn’t free. One of our drivers took a snow mobile trip to Canada and wrapped himself around a tree. I don’t have all the details but it seems the Canadian system couldn’t or wouldn’t accept his health insurance. He was presented a $50k plus bill and the collectors are now hounding him.
    Wait, it isn't free unless you are a Canadian citizen. Doesn't cover visitors. The problem is with his insurance...he should have had travel insurance. If you deliver cars to Canada you should have travel insurance too....some credit cards give you up to 15 days included.
    I thought Canada covers urgent emergency services for accidents that occurred in Canada.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    edited February 2019
    How does Scandinavia do it? They seem to have a good medical system and happy citizens.
    We provide them with military protection.
    Not Sweden or Finland. They aren't NATO. And even if you were in NATO, I wouldn't count on it coming anytime soon enough. Besides, who would attack Denmark? And Norwegians are among the world's richest people and spend the highest per capita for military, among European NATO members. They aren't slackers.
    If Sweden or Finland are invaded don't you think we wouldn't come to their aid?
    I can see it now - a carrier task force navigating the fjords to free the Scandinavians from the invading Russians.  :o

2021 Genesis G90

I know some that do, but they live in the city which is very densely populated with a good public transportation system. Uber and Lyft are used sparingly where public transportation isn't the best option. They also don't own cars and on the rare instances they need one the belong to a car sharing program, I believe it's zipcar.

abacomike said:

How does Scandinavia do it? They seem to have a good medical system and happy citizens.

Not Sweden or Finland. They aren't NATO. And even if you were in NATO, I wouldn't count on it coming anytime soon enough. Besides, who would attack Denmark? And Norwegians are among the world's richest people and spend the highest per capita for military, among European NATO members. They aren't slackers.

I can see it now - a carrier task force navigating the fjords to free the Scandinavians from the invading Russians.  :o

Well since they don't have Simo Hayha anymore they would need all the help they could get.

abacomike said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

bwia said:

How Much Gas Tax Adds to Cost of Filling Up

30. Massachusetts
    • State gas tax: 26.5 cents per gallon.
    • Gas price as of mid-Jan. 2019: $2.49 per gallon. (14th highest)
    • State taxes as pct. of gas price: 10.7 percent (14th lowest)
    • Annual miles traveled per driver: 12,265 (8th lowest)

29. Ohio
    • State gas tax: 28.0 cents per gallon.
    • Gas price as of mid-Jan. 2019: $2.06 per gallon. (16th lowest)
    • State taxes as pct. of gas price: 13.6 percent (23rd highest)
    • Annual miles traveled per driver: 14,873 (21st highest)
    Read more at https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/02/05/gas-tax-state-what-costs-fill-up-your-car-across-country/38908491/

Well, let me tell you about where I live.

Here we have a 10 cent federal excise tax and a 15.5 cent provincial fuel tax. To that is added a 15% retail sales tax, which is calculated after those taxes are included in the price, so it is a tax on a tax.

Oh wait, that is all per liter!

Multiply everything by 3.78 (L/US gallon) and you can approximate the amount per US gallon.

Today here, RUG is $1.00 per liter. If you roll back the various taxes in that calculation, the actual no-tax cost of gas here right now is about 61 cents per liter or $2.32/US gallon. But add in the tax and it is $3.78 per US gallon, with taxes representing about $1.46 of that amount per gallon.

Welcome to Kanada.
    WOW, and here in PA I thought we were being screwed.

I don't think anyone would blame you guys for changing the name of your country to Screwya or Taxada.

jmonroe
    We do have "free" health care.........and that is worth something. I think of the extra money I pay for gas as insurance for medical care.
    Are you serious? Do you really think your health care is FREE? Here in the US most of us were taught at an early age that there is no such thing as a free lunch. The rest have credit card debt that is out of sight.

jmonroe
    It's called Socialized Medicine and it is far from "free"! Hard to even get in many cases!
    Out of the 33 developed countries, 32 have universal health care.

It’s not universal health care that I oppose or question - it’s how can a country of 320 million people with a deficit of 22 trillion dollars afford to pay for health care for all?  Added to that is the fact that our wonderful country always seems to muck up anything it oversees.  I guess if the government raises taxes on everyone by 20%. they could provide universal healthcare.  
    My question is pursuant to the 10th amendment to the COTUS the Federal government can only do what the COTUS grant's it the power to do and the states can do whatever the COTUS doesn't prohibit them from doing. Since health care isn't in the COTUS the Federal government cannot institute a single payer system, but the states individually can.

Also if you want to see single payer system in practice look at the VA.

They created Medicare - a single-payer health care system for people over 65 and certain disabled people.  Not much of a jump to get to Medicare for all people!  Haven’t noticed Medicare in the COTUS - but yet there it is!  Leave it to Congress to create a universal healthcare system for everyone.  :DB)

I would respond but it will get way to political. You can guess what my response would be.

stickguy said:

Nope. But at least, for a change, they acknowledge this is a big city, urban concept. Not something for the majority of the country.

For some local stuff, ok. But it is a hassle to always be renting a car when you need to go out of town. And if I need to run to the store quick for something, tracking down Uber’s there and back, also a drag.

It’s great for vacations, getting to the airport, going to dealer to get car back for service, and going out a night if drinking. But I could never use it for daily use, or my wife’s commuting, or travelling.

My car might cost more, but their is value in the convenience and freedom (even if I wasn’t someone that liked to drive anyway).

If you are living in a big city urban environment a quick run to the store for something rarely exceeds a few blocks. So unless the weather is really bad or your buying a lot walking is the best option.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    henryn said:

When you say "Medicare for all", the key term is "Medicare". The government has been running Medicare since 1965, and based on my experiences, they are doing a pretty good job.

Can be done. Medicare is one of the gov’t programs that actually does what it was designed to do.

I was lucky enough to benefit from the last tax cuts. But, I’m more than willing to revert back to fund a one payer system for all.

Take the insurance companies skimming off and I think it’s very possible to do funding.

Easier said than done?....same thing said for the Hoover Dam, putting someone on the Moon, nationwide highway system, etc. We’re a country of doers.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    edited February 2019

henryn said:

When you say "Medicare for all", the key term is "Medicare". The government has been running Medicare since 1965, and based on my experiences, they are doing a pretty good job.

Can be done. Medicare is one of the gov’t programs that actually does what it was designed to do.

I was lucky enough to benefit from the last tax cuts. But, I’m more than willing to revert back to fund a one payer system for all.

Take the insurance companies skimming off and I think it’s very possible to do funding.

Easier said than done?....same thing said for the Hoover Dam, putting someone on the Moon, nationwide highway system, etc. We’re a country of doers.
    That's right we're Americans not American'ts. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? It's not like we're overweight lazy people swigging beers sitting on couches watching reality shows while complaining about first world problems..... oh wait.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    Cities with transit options and zip cars, fine. They however don’t exist out her in suburbia or in rural areas.

Best I could do probably is get rid of the 2nd car. More juggling in case we both need one at same time, but at least have wheels on hand for emergencies and travelling. As long as you can, conceptually, get away with being a 1 car family, using Uber and walking or biking as the 2nd car is plausible. .

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Sadly, one has to look at the real world golden rule, he who has the gold something something etc.

Regarding first world problems, getting less for more and having the specter of medically-induced financial ruin looming over you isn't a thing in the rest of the first world.

stickguy said:

Cities with transit options and zip cars, fine. They however don’t exist out her in suburbia or in rural areas.

Best I could do probably is get rid of the 2nd car. More juggling in case we both need one at same time, but at least have wheels on hand for emergencies and travelling. As long as you can, conceptually, get away with being a 1 car family, using Uber and walking or biking as the 2nd car is plausible. .

I was talking about urban areas. We have discussed our retirement and when that happens we will go to a 1 car household as we will only need one. Using bikes and walking would do for the second vehicle. Truth be told where I am in the burbs the only real reason we need cars is for work and bringing home large or heavy things or bad weather. We are within a half hour walk of 4 places where we can buy groceries, several places to buy clothes and household items, 2 dozen places to eat, a movie theater, my doctors office and recreational areas. If I didn't have to work or could work from home I could get away with no car.

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,163
    edited February 2019

Depends. Five years ago, I thought we would, today I have serious doubts even about NATO allies, especially those more "remote" countries (in minds of politicians and people), like Poland, Bulgaria, or Estonia. This president acts like those things are like his old company loan payments - optional and subject to renegotiation at any time.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Medicare for all would simply result in a two-tier health care system. One for the proletariat (medicare) and the other for the bourgeoisie class (private insurance). It's no different than how higher education is financed. In general those who can afford it go to private universities and those who can't go to public universities on the taxpayers' dime. For some reason, tax payers don't mind paying for tertiary education for all even if they choose the private option.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    edited February 2019
    I know that up here the universities in this province are all sorta-private but they get +/- 50% of their funding from the province. But they have their own management, aren't subject to the same policies about spending, hiring, etc as the government. Kind of the best of both worlds from their POV. They have tuition in the $3000-10000 range depending on program. The biggest one here is one I know a bit about and they are extremely top-heavy with very expensive management that often doesn't seem to do very much managing. And let's not forget the number of 6-figure salaried faculty who seldom teach. The place was paying their President about a half-million a year, and then included in his contract full salary/benefit continuation for a number of years following his resignation. Sweet deal, especially when he then went and got a senior position in govt for a few years shortly after leaving there.

Insurance company skimming in the medical system is likely true, but you haven't seen wasteful spending like govt wasteful spending. It is really a whole new level of waste. And when the govt hospitals are the only game in town you get zero worries about customer/patient satisfaction or service. They just don't have to care since there is no alternative.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

fintail said:

No system is perfect and no doubt there are issues there, but I don't personally know any Canadians (or anyone else in the developed world) demanding an American style system. I wonder why that is.

Many Canadians would be happier with a system that is a hybrid and allows some sort of flexibility to get care faster/better if there was some supplemental coverage or a private component. But that is called "jumping the queue" which is deemed somehow evil by those defenders of the state system.
    Sometimes even free isn’t free. One of our drivers took a snow mobile trip to Canada and wrapped himself around a tree. I don’t have all the details but it seems the Canadian system couldn’t or wouldn’t accept his health insurance. He was presented a $50k plus bill and the collectors are now hounding him.
    Wait, it isn't free unless you are a Canadian citizen. Doesn't cover visitors. The problem is with his insurance...he should have had travel insurance. If you deliver cars to Canada you should have travel insurance too....some credit cards give you up to 15 days included.
    I thought Canada covers urgent emergency services for accidents that occurred in Canada.
    I don't know first hand but I would imagine, if you were an American and were in a car accident, and need to be rushed to the hospital, they wouldn't refuse you treatment...our hospitals treat the patient then sort out the details. I think you would have to provide a credit card or proof of insurance at the first chance.

Up until a few years ago hospitals in England would accept not only citizens but also visitors...all got no cost healthcare.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

edited February 2019
    bwia said:

Medicare for all would simply result in a two-tier health care system. One for the proletariat (medicare) and the other for the bourgeoisie class (private insurance). It's no different than how higher education is financed. In general those who can afford it go to private universities and those who can't go to public universities on the taxpayers' dime. For some reason, tax payers don't mind paying for tertiary education for all even if they choose the private option.

This is a very difficult subject. Medical services are rare goods (in economic definition, i.e. goods where potential demand will always outstrip supply), so either way some people will not get all the service they need. Rationing is necessary, it can be done either by pricing, or by bureaucratic decisions (usually some combination).

My opinion about medical services in this country is that it's a racket to literally take all your money, unless you have somebody defending you (like insurance policy). If you ever read a hospital bill closely, you'd conclude that anybody else would go to prison for how they actually price their services. Here is 20 grand, but no, your insurance company will only let us bill you for 1 thousand, so OK, pay that. What kind of BS is that? So is it 20 grand or one? Nobody else would price it that way. Not to mention none of those prices are available anywhere other than your bill.

Imagine iphone store. You go "I want iPhone". OK, here it is, use it. Three months later bill arrives, it's $10,000, but wait - you are a member of some awesome iPhone protection club, so your price is only $1200. Since you didn't buy from this club yet, you're responsible for the whole thing. Your neighbor got an iPhone last month, so his next one is only $100. Isn't he a winner?

It's not really access, or insurance, if that lack of transparency that creates so much stress into the system, prices taken seeming out of rear ends of the billing departments, then "discounted" to some normal levels (or not). You never know how much you'll have to pay and they want it that way. Their general stance is "we saved your life (say), so now everything you own is ours, unless you got somebody behind you to help you with our ridiculous pricing. What kind of system is that? What bugs me, you hear zero about that particular issue, because all these reporters, history and social sciences, have math and finance comprehension at 4-grader level, so they are unable and unwilling to go in their "analysis" past "it's expensive and you need insurance".

2018 430i Gran Coupe

berri said:

Does that include Canada?

Nothing wrong in having a 2 tier healthcare system....even 4 or 5 tier.
    At the lowest level you get a hospital barrack with 25 people and concrete beds with straw. Gets better as you pay more....... ;)

That’s kinda how it works now driver.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562

henryn said:

That's right we're Americans not American'ts. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? It's not like we're overweight lazy people swigging beers sitting on couches watching reality shows while complaining about first world problems..... oh wait.
    I’m waiting for that new green deal where I’ll get paid to do nothing. Wait, that’s what I was doing yesterday. Got paid for 12 hours, slept in the van for 6. :p

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Speaking of medicine.....was looking for something to watch on Netflix or Prime and came up with episode #1 of Dr House on Prime. It was great, good story, lots of humor, very clever lines, good characters. I wasn't into series when it was on regular TV....really enjoying it now.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

fintail said:

I don't know first hand but I would imagine, if you were an American and were in a car accident, and need to be rushed to the hospital, they wouldn't refuse you treatment...our hospitals treat the patient then sort out the details. I think you would have to provide a credit card or proof of insurance at the first chance.

Up until a few years ago hospitals in England would accept not only citizens but also visitors...all got no cost healthcare.
    As I said, I don’t know all the details but I do know he required multiple orthopedic surgeries and at some point they must have put their hand out so he had himself shipped back to the states by ambulance.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

That’s kinda how it works now driver.

Instead of heart monitors they hand you a Fit Bit.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited February 2019
    abacomike said:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No--if Sweden or Finland were invaded they'd be up the fjord without a paddle. The West certainly didn't help Finland or Denmark last time they were invaded, and they botched Norway, too.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    driver100 said:

Speaking of medicine.....was looking for something to watch on Netflix or Prime and came up with episode #1 of Dr House on Prime. It was great, good story, lots of humor, very clever lines, good characters. I wasn't into series when it was on regular TV....really enjoying it now.

It's intelligent.
    driver100 said:

berri said:

Does that include Canada?
    Are you kidding? Every army in the world is afraid of Driver, Canada is safe.

driver100 said:

It's intelligent.
    Yeh, that is usually the kiss of death for most programs.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    driver100 said:

keep watching. it's good for a while but gets weird. I don't remember which season.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

stickguy said:

I was talking about urban areas. We have discussed our retirement and when that happens we will go to a 1 car household as we will only need one. Using bikes and walking would do for the second vehicle. Truth be told where I am in the burbs the only real reason we need cars is for work and bringing home large or heavy things or bad weather. We are within a half hour walk of 4 places where we can buy groceries, several places to buy clothes and household items, 2 dozen places to eat, a movie theater, my doctors office and recreational areas. If I didn't have to work or could work from home I could get away with no car.
    For heavy stuff look up an app called “Roadie” ( I think that’s how they spell it) it’s the Uber of package delivery.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    driver100 said:

dino001 said:

driver100 said:

One other things, I see way more police cars at home and my guess is fines are much larger. Very few uninsured drivers back home. In Florida the posted speed on I-75 is 75mph....I would say the average car is going between 82 and 86, and I rarely see anyone being stopped for speeding.

Used to be 70 mph maximum statewide on interstate, they just raised the upper limit, but I have not seen 75 mph anywhere around Tampa yet.
    My mistake...yes speed limit on I-75 is 70, but absolutely no one drives 70, I should have said the lowest speed people go is 75....but average is closer to 85.

They have talked about raising it to 75, but there is resistance because then people will drive 90.
    The solution to the "always drive 10 over the speed limit crowd" is to make the speed limit so high it exceeds the top speed of their car. :smile:

They will be completely lost out on the road, unable to go 10 over by default. :smile: It will cause a mental breakdown and meltdown. :worried:

Or... not.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    fintail said:

The brake lights thing is real. I can always tell a timid pensive inept local driver by their dopey braking habits - random taps when they become distracted, braking for gentle curves on highways, braking when someone changes lanes 500 yards ahead, etc. I remember when I was a little kid, my dad would point out the "bad" drivers as the ones who were always braking.

I can always tell a good driver in the USA, because they are so conspicuous. :p You notice things like good lane discipline, anticipating traffic moves in advance, good signaling, decisive patterns of acceleration and braking, good trailing distances, infrequent brake lights----I notice those things in other cars.

The worst braking violation comes from someone merging onto an empty highway or freeway, and yet, brake lights at the end of the merging lanes.

Then there is the brake-checker, deliberately trying to cause a collision.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited February 2019

andres3 said:

90 mph swerves are fun, too.

Who said anything about swerving? If you identify a hazard 750' away you'll have plenty of time to maneuver over one lane slowly; even at 90 MPH (which is rounding up).
    Ever try going the speed limit and not having to worry about all of this silly stuff?
    I think I mentioned that the drive was completely uneventful, with no lane changes that I can remember, so I'm guessing less than a couple lane changes over 20 miles of driving. I wasn't worrying. Chances are you won't run into two CHP's within a mile of each other :smile:

I was driving a company Toyota Tundra with 126,000 miles the other day. That was more eventful. First, the brakes caused shuddering, which doesn't inspire confidence. Second, I was driving very close to the speed limit at 70-75 MPH which is about as fast as I'd comfortably drive the big truck I was unfamiliar with.

What I found is that I interacted with a LOT MORE traffic at that speed by both passing and getting passed a lot. I realized that first, not everyone is speeding. There are some people doing 65 MPH out there, go figure! I worried more in the truck with lousy handling and braking than I do in my chosen vehicles. That remained true even though I was driving slower. Going EVEN slower wouldn't have helped.

Secondly, I was getting annoyed at the left lane campers forcing the speed demons to pass by my side instead of 2 or 3, or even 4 lanes over the way it is supposed to work.

I think slow pokes should be advocating for enforcement of lane discipline more so than the speed demons.
    tyguy said:

Almost got run over by a Tesla S at the market. The parking lot road in front of the store has crosswalks and stop signs and everything but whistles telling people to slow down but this guy decided to blaze right through at about double the standard 10-15mph parking lot speed.

The thing was, the car was so quiet that I didn’t hear him coming. I think I muttered something to myself about entitled rich guys but I may have just been jealous of him having a nice car.

Glad you weren’t hit, OF. Yeah, they’re definitely quiet. Usually just a little tire noise. Starting soon all the new EVs will have noise generators to help with this scenario.
    https://amp.timeinc.net/thedrive/tech/26455/nhtsas-flawed-autopilot-safety-study-unmasked

I know this is just a web link, but it points out another issue of what I believe is a combination of BOTH corruption and incompetence fully infected into the culture of the NHTSA, and it's related to Tesla too!

You mean the "speed kills" myth isn't the only corrupt influence over there?
    suydam said:

California charges a yearly surcharge to EV owners to help pay for road maintenance. So do several other states.
    I’m all for bicycles if they get more cars off the road. I’m too old to be riding one next to moving traffic (as opposed to a peaceful bike trail) but yay tomthise that do. Just come to a full stop at intersections like you’re supposed to.

Is the EV surcharge a flat fee, or based on some crazy MSRP or "value" calculation? May I ask what the fee is?
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I think it’s a flat fee. It’s new this year, so I’ll find out!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

andres3 said:

90 mph swerves are fun, too.

Who said anything about swerving? If you identify a hazard 750' away you'll have plenty of time to maneuver over one lane slowly; even at 90 MPH (which is rounding up).
    The death rate on Canadian roadways is less than half that of the United States — 5.2 per 100,000 residents versus 11.6 here — and even accounting for the fewer miles driven by the average Canadian compared to an American, Canada has 43 percent fewer traffic fatalities per billion kilometers traveled.

And, I doubt it is because we drive faster....if anything, I would say we drive slower and law enforcement is stronger.
    I have to say that on our trip to Toronto last summer that traffic moved slower in Canada than in the U.S. Not only were the speed limits lower but traffic stayed closer to the speed limit in Canada then in the U.S. Even on the expressways in Toronto they drove a bit slower than they do in most U.S. cities.
    You were in heavily populated areas where traffic moves slow a lot of the time. But, generally speaking, we have got bad drivers, but, not as wild as I see in Florida. Also roads are designed better, here you have fast moving traffic and people are cutting across or in front of you. A native Floridian explained it to me that first they build the new houses, then they try to figure out how to make the roads handle it....in most places it is the other way around.

One other things, I see way more police cars at home and my guess is fines are much larger. Very few uninsured drivers back home. In Florida the posted speed on I-75 is 75mph....I would say the average car is going between 82 and 86, and I rarely see anyone being stopped for speeding.
    Speaking of rare stops for speeding, how often have you seen someone pulled over for left lane camping & impeding?

And @snakeweasel please don't rehash your "you don't know what they were pulled over for" argument. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck! Pretty much everyone here has been pulled over for speeding before, so we all know exactly what it looks like.
    Well if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck the question is what type of duck is it?

Now I have been either a driver or a passenger in cars that have been pulled over for a variety of reasons. Including but not limited to speeding, improper lane usage, failure to use signals, failure to yield, failure to stop for both stop signs and lights, expired tags, burnedout headlights and taillights, broken down along the side of the road with a cop stopping to help and one time a cop just wondering why we were stopped in the middle of nowhere next to a cemetery at night. Guess what? They all looked the same. So there is no way you can tell why someone is stopped unless you saw them being stopped and sometimes not even then.
    Seeing the stop as it happens or is initiated helps, yes. I would argue that "stopped in the middle of nowhere" looks quite different than 3 cars side by side doing 80, 82, and 85 MPH on the I5 in CA. One gets pulled over. No signs to "blow through." No lights not on (it is daytime). Even when I was pulled over, or more accurately said, cited for lack of a front license plate, his initial "reason" for pulling me over was that I was speeding 10 over.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I think a road use tax for high gas mileage vehicles is only fair. I have trouble with a buyer of a $100,000 EV not paying any road use tax, especially when taxpayers may have subsidized the purchase.

For a Volt or other ICE/EV vehicle, the line is not as clear.

The only alternative is to go to a mileage based system where people pay based on how many miles their car goes in a year. And there's lots of room for cheating in that system. It would make the food stamp system look secure. We get a major bust of food stamp fraud here every couple of months with lots of others in between that don't make the news to much of a degree unless it's sweeps week.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

qbrozen said:

driver100 said:

keep watching. it's good for a while but gets weird. I don't remember which season.
    I get that feeling....that it will jump the shark one day and go downhill. It seems they run out of ideas and then go weird...hate when that happens. Wasn't Howie Mandell in this series? I imagine he could go off the rails eventually.

fintail said:

The brake lights thing is real. I can always tell a timid pensive inept local driver by their dopey braking habits - random taps when they become distracted, braking for gentle curves on highways, braking when someone changes lanes 500 yards ahead, etc. I remember when I was a little kid, my dad would point out the "bad" drivers as the ones who were always braking.

I can always tell a good driver in the USA, because they are so conspicuous. :p You notice things like good lane discipline, anticipating traffic moves in advance, good signaling, decisive patterns of acceleration and braking, good trailing distances, infrequent brake lights----I notice those things in other cars.

The scariest part is that anyone in America, no matter how inept, hapless, hopeless, crazy, near-blind--can walk into a dealership and drive out with a 700HP car. I know, cur the Darwin jokes, but sometimes these people take others with them.
    Licensing is supposed to represent that your not inept, hapless, hopeless, and near-blind.

Isn't that the very definition of licensing. I know DMV's of the world have a bad reputation.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    edited February 2019

We’re a country of doers.

Well, perhaps back in the day. Now I'm not sure whether your "we're" stood for we are or we were. I'm going with we were.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    edited February 2019

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

I thought China, Philippines, or Indonesia did that. I know, it was Korea and it started the Vietnam war, right? Was it South or North?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

qbrozen said:

driver100 said:

Last two or three. They needed a turmoil and one of the actresses wanted a raise.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @driver100,
    What part of Canada are to talking about protecting? :D
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    dino001 said:

qbrozen said:

driver100 said:

Last two or three. They needed a turmoil and one of the actresses wanted a raise.

Thanks...I'll stop watching once it goes off the rails.

@driver100,

Depends on where they attack from.

I think a road use tax for high gas mileage vehicles is only fair. I have trouble with a buyer of a $100,000 EV not paying any road use tax, especially when taxpayers may have subsidized the purchase.

For a Volt or other ICE/EV vehicle, the line is not as clear.

The only alternative is to go to a mileage based system where people pay based on how many miles their car goes in a year. And there's lots of room for cheating in that system. It would make the food stamp system look secure. We get a major bust of food stamp fraud here every couple of months with lots of others in between that don't make the news to much of a degree unless it's sweeps week.

The problem with that is you know that the gas tax wont go away. That means that we that have ICE's will get dinged twice.

driver100 said:

@driver100,

Depends on where they attack from.
    Won't be from the North.

@driver100,
    If not protected from someone to the south, who else is going to do it?
    Did andres3 make this video?

https://youtu.be/2Yd88whKZ28

Yesterday I was filling up as the gas station. Heard an engine rev then metallic clank and silence.
    Didn't think too much of it, but when I was leaving, I saw a 2005+ Acura TL with the flashers on sitting across the road like it was trying to enter the street.
    There was nobody around the car, otherwise I would have helped them push it out of the road.