Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Limited slip

BusyTowncarBusyTowncar Member Posts: 1
edited February 2019 in Lincoln
I brought a 2003 lincoln town car and i love it, only thing is i can only drive it while in limited slip. When not activated it will not accelerate, but as soon as i activate the limited slip it drives like a brand new car... Can any give me a idea of whats happening?

Answers

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100

I brought a 2003 lincoln town car and i love it, only thing is i can only drive it while in limited slip. When not activated it will not accelerate, but as soon as i activate the limited slip it drives like a brand new car... Can any give me a idea of whats happening?

Are you turning off the traction control, to make it move?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If you turn TCS off, you'll get more power and more wheel spin, which might allow you to dig out of certain situations by spinning the wheels. TCS prevents wheel spin and applies braking as needed.

If you turn TCS off, you'll get more power and more wheel spin, which might allow you to dig out of certain situations by spinning the wheels. TCS prevents wheel spin and applies braking as needed.

Sounds to me like something is wrong with his traction control. A sensor, or something like that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    kyfdx said:

Sounds to me like something is wrong with his traction control. A sensor, or something like that.

That is the most likely explanation. False activation of the traction control system. This could be a wheel speed sensor issue or even excessive noise from the alternator creating a false wheel speed signal.

Or he's turning off TCS and not getting anywhere even with wheel spin.

Or he's turning off TCS and not getting anywhere even with wheel spin.

In North Carolina...

The doc says I'm probably right.. :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Your guess is as good as mine. The original description needs a lot more detail. I didn't see anything about a TCS light or about any codes being read.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    That's one of the problems techs often encounter, attempting to figure out exactly what the owner is describing. If you think diagnosing and repairing cars is difficult, try to do it when the symptom as described doesn't make much sense.
    That's what a service writer or shop manager should be doing...interrogating the owner and getting as much data as possible. Of course, the tech still has to verify the complaint.