Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    >> 2015 Mercedes GLA 250 4MATIC [..] 138k miles,
    Must be nice to drive! That's an average of 4 miles per hour, around the clock, or fast walking speed.
    Take a deep breath; not a lot of love in the market for miled-up Germans.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    ...looking for realistic trade-in value for our 2015 Mercedes GLA 250 4MATIC Black/Beige leather, panoramic sunroof, heated seats, 138k miles, in MA, tires decent, exterior clean, missing front badge, interior ok, some dog hair from our Eskipom...thanks in advance...
    $11k would be pretty fair. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

sfrat said:
    8500 and 9500, respectively, as long as they check out and need nothing. 
    Seems pricey? Wouldn't leasing a new one make more sense?
    I think the new ones are ugly. Besides, I prefer buying used and the flexibility of ownership and not dealing with mileage restrictions and damage.
    Food for thought: a 2013 Pious C III with 75k miles could be had for that same $9500.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    138K on a 2015 GLA? Hell, where the heck do you drive that thing? Thems a whole lot of miles to be honest. Guess my 12K to 13K is a lot.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I wouldn't touch that car.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,428
    138K on a 2015 GLA? Hell, where the heck do you drive that thing? Thems a whole lot of miles to be honest. Guess my 12K to 13K is a lot.
    That is impressive indeed!  I thought I drove a lot!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    edited February 2019

I wouldn't touch that car.

Didn't Terry used to say there's a rear end for every seat, or something like that? :p At that mileage, it's getting close to being BHPH lot fodder.
    edited February 2019
    Well sure, any car will sell if the price is right. But that car is in the last 1/3rd of its life, and it's not going to be the best "third" either. I'd hit that car at about $9500 tops. That would give me about a $2K cushion to invest for current needs and also allow me to bail and break even if the car proves troublesome.
  • tottenham_coystottenham_coys Member Posts: 5
    ...dealers are hitting me at $6-8k for the 2015 GLA with the light year mileage...assuming they're going to send it straight to the auction...anything I can do to squeeze more juice out of this lemon?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,543
    Private sale it? Maybe shop it to some local BHPH lots. Or, depending on why you are dumping it, if that is the best you can do drive it a couple more years a whole lot cheaper than buying a new one and getting slaughtered on depreciation again

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

It's hard to bargain away high miles.
    ...dealers are hitting me at $6-8k for the 2015 GLA with the light year mileage...assuming they're going to send it straight to the auction...anything I can do to squeeze more juice out of this lemon?
    Wow. You sure it has a clean history? That is way way low. I have 3 examples with 99k miles that each got $14k on different dates at different auctions. Meanwhile, 60k-mile units are only $2k more. Well...do the math, right? I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised by $10k offers, but 6-8? Something is wrong with the car you don’t realize or aren’t telling me.

edited February 2019
    ...the Millennium Falcon mileage 2015 GLA is clean inside and out - the reason we are dumping it is that the turbo was recently replaced, and our mechanic advised us that it is a ticking time bomb...no way for the dealers to know this and what they don't know can't hurt me - can it? ;)
    That’s why dealers don’t want it. They have to dump it at auction, which is a crapshoot. And if something goes wrong with it before it Dan sell, they are stuck.

So, if it is something they would never buy at auction, or sell on their lot, they are knocking trade offer down to build in a cushion for unexpected gotchas, and some profit.

Try carmax or some local places that advertise they buy cars. New dealers often seriously lowball trades.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    stickguy said:

That’s why dealers don’t want it. They have to dump it at auction, which is a crapshoot. And if something goes wrong with it before it Dan sell, they are stuck.

So, if it is something they would never buy at auction, or sell on their lot, they are knocking trade offer down to build in a cushion for unexpected gotchas, and some profit.

Try carmax or some local places that advertise they buy cars. New dealers often seriously lowball trades.

138K miles.. I'm surprised you even received $8K for an offer.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Once the odometer rolls over 100K on a German car, you are in entirely different territory. It may all be psychological, but perception is reality in the used car market. If that same SUV had "Toyota" written on it, it'd be gone in a flash.
    Craigslist, ebaymotors, or one of the Mercedes specific forums would probably be good places to list it. 
  • sptyp90sptyp90 Guest, Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2019
    Qbrozen, do you have any recent auction data for a 2010 BMW 328i sedan RWD, gray/gray, automatic, looks pretty loaded with sport/premium/cold pkg, 44k miles, 2-owner clean carfax, San Francisco area?

Looks clean inside, outside small parking lot scrape on the front bumper. Otherwise looks great. No records though. He is asking 11k private sale. What do you think?

thanks in advance
    low miles, but that price is insane. That is double trade-in value and $5k over auction value. Even a dealer would be brazen at that price. I'm afraid that owner has little interest in selling and you won't be able to get it for a reasonable or fair price. $7500 is what I'd be looking to pay. $8500 would be the absolute max I would suggest if you just can't live without it.

edited February 2019
    qbrozen said:

low miles, but that price is insane. That is double trade-in value and $5k over auction value. Even a dealer would be brazen at that price. I'm afraid that owner has little interest in selling and you won't be able to get it for a reasonable or fair price. $7500 is what I'd be looking to pay. $8500 would be the absolute max I would suggest if you just can't live without it.

Wow thanks, Q. Didn't imagine how far away 11k was from reasonable. Thank you for setting me straight, I really did like the car since it is loaded with M-sport and even rear door shades which are rare, but not 3k worth.
    edited February 2019
    I agree, but there aren't many 2010 3-series with such low mileage. It might be closer to being worth paying more than book if it were a higher end model.
    Low miles aren't by definition always a good thing, so if you're pursuing a car because of ultra-low miles, that shouldn't blind you to a complete PPI, regardless.

Low miles aren't by definition always a good thing, so if you're pursuing a car because of ultra-low miles, that shouldn't blind you to a complete PPI, regardless.

You are right on the PPI regardless. What called my attention was that its a super loaded example, with the rare M-Sport package even. Most 3 series are very basic on options, so I need to keep looking I guess.

You are right on the PPI regardless. What called my attention was that its a super loaded example, with the rare M-Sport package even. Most 3 series are very basic on options, so I need to keep looking I guess.
    If it only had a stick-shift....

I don't think it's as overpriced as the rest of the crew, here. Yes, it's high, but that doesn't mean you can't make a reasonable deal on it. Does it have xenons?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

My attitude is that if it's really the car of your dreams, with all that special equipment you've found so hard to find, then paying a reasonable premium over book is fine---presuming you're in for the long haul. I wouldn't pay over book on a car that you might get bored with in 6 months.

Just for kicks..

Autotrader
    BMW 3-Series (newest year 2014)
    Within 100 miles of Cincinnati
    Under 60K miles
    Under $20K asking

Search results in:
    33 units.
    Exactly two of them are under $10K. ('06 330, '08 wagon).
    Next cheapest unit is $12,900.

Obviously, it's the mileage that really whittles down the field.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

If I cut the mileage at 75K, and just search 2009-2011, I get 27 cars.
    And, four of them under $11K

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

I don't think it's as overpriced as the rest of the crew, here. Yes, it's high, but that doesn't mean you can't make a reasonable deal on it. Does it have xenons?
    Yes on Xenons. vindecoder lists Premium, Cold weather, M-Sport, lighting packages. If it were manual, I would definitely pay a premium.

kyfdx said:

Yes on Xenons. vindecoder lists Premium, Cold weather, M-Sport, lighting packages. If it were manual, I would definitely pay a premium.
    Sounds pretty nice. I'm not in love with that engine. My wife had that one in her 2011 X3.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited February 2019
    Need a quick price review.

2004 B6 S4 with the V8 and auto transmission. Red, clean, 99,100 miles.

Cons: No timing chain service yet, and said to need new front control arms (other then that, said to be tip top and looks clean in photos.

Asking $4K. What's it worth? San Diego CA
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    WTH is a "B6 S4"???
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    Audi's code for that generation of S4.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    Oh, gee, that S4 is a grenade with a loose pin. Unless you find a starry-eyed buyer who is willing to risk the timing chain failure, you should just take the first offer, whatever it is.

Basically, a timing chain tensioner repair will total the car, as you know, since you have to remove the engine to do it. And they do fail quite regularly, so you're wise to bail out now.

If you wanted to do the cruel math to come up with a value (book value minus chain repair), then $4K seems optimistic.

Oh, gee, that S4 is a grenade with a loose pin. Unless you find a starry-eyed buyer who is willing to risk the timing chain failure, you should just take the first offer, whatever it is.

Basically, a timing chain tensioner repair will total the car, as you know, since you have to remove the engine to do it. And they do fail quite regularly, so you're wise to bail out now.

If you wanted to do the cruel math to come up with a value (book value minus chain repair), then $4K seems optimistic.

I wanting to do the cruel math as a buyer! LOL.. I don't mind a grenade if I can do the repair and put the pin back in the grenade before it explodes! But, I want to temper my offer accordingly.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited February 2019
    Quite frankly, and in all seriousness, they should give you the car for salvage value.

Meet your opponent:

I think the repair cost at the dealer is in the range of $6,000 to $8,000.

andres3 said:

Need a quick price review.

2004 B6 S4 with the V8 and auto transmission. Red, clean, 99,100 miles.

Cons: No timing chain service yet, and said to need new front control arms (other then that, said to be tip top and looks clean in photos.

Asking $4K. What's it worth? San Diego CA

And you complain Chryslers are unreliable? hahahahah.
    Anyhoo... worth high 3s at auction, so $4k wouldn't be hurting nobody... for now.

Here's the easy way to do it:

While you’re in there....

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    Holy ****
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,428

Quite frankly, and in all seriousness, they should give you the car for salvage value.

Meet your opponent:

Unreal

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Meet your opponent:

Yes

It's more like a nuclear option than a grenade.

Remember I have one of the best and lower cost Audi shops at hand near me.

Even they said $4,500 labor with a $4K to $8K range for parts to fix things "while your in there." That's very possibly over $10K... for a very efficient shop!!!! Not the dealership!

Never mind.
    Not sure why they put the timing chain facing the fire wall, but......
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Here's the easy way to do it:

Holy Smoly Batman! That looks like what you had to do, back in the day, to replace the head gaskets on a Northstar Cadillac. Which is why I junked mine back around 2005. And it was a VERY nice car, really, I loved that car. But ...
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,317
    One of my ex neighbor's had a yellow S4. Saw it for sale on craigslist...'Probably needs timing chain'. :(
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    Holy ****
    +1
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    And here I thought the timing belt on my B5 was bad...
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    Oh B6 is much worse due to engine config. Everything on an Audi seems to be a royal pain. They aren't designed to be easy to work on, that's for sure. My friend has a nice older TT and geez, it's $1,000 bucks every time he drives in for service---and that doesn't include the $1600 timing belt and the worn bushings in the shifter, which was extremely expensive to fix. (couple thousand I think). The Haldex needs frequent maintenance, too. Audis strike me as very fussy cars.
    It appears the suspension on my coworker's old A8 has given out. Front end is riding the ground and she usually drives a different vehicle. It's old enough that I'm sure it's not worth fixing. Ever since I've been at the company, it's gone in for a yearly service at the Audi dealer, which generally takes a week, because that's how long I see the loaner car in the parking lot.
    ...update on the Millennium Falcon 2015 Benz GLA with 138k miles...started stalling and running rough a week after the turbo was replaced - was able to limp it on back roads to a VW dealership where we got $8k on it as a trade on a certified 2016 Tiguan SE AWD with 21k miles for which we paid $18.7k (~$20k total with additional 5yr/100k CPO warranty - it has a turbo, timing chain, and haldex to worry about)...were lucky to be able to show them an $8k trade-in offer from another dealer...dodged a bullet - for now...
    A8 is pretty rare so parts are sometimes going to take awhile. Still, a suspension job seems easy and not very expensive, but who knows with an A8.

I imagine the '16 Tiguan has an easy Timing Belt/Chain job.