Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

U.S. Auto Market News and Reviews

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,509
    If I had a business I would too. With the new deductions rules, it was practically like doing an EZ form.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Pretty sure HELOC interest is still deductible BUT it has to be tied to actual expenditures on the home. You can't deduct the interest if you use it for a vacation or to pay off other debt.

We were screwed by the new tax law as it caps property tax + state income tax at $10K .. That lost me around $6-8K in deductions. We owe about $2K more than we would in an average year. Which also triggers an underpayment penalty. :@
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    I feel your pain brother. I also lost my last college kid deduction, so double whammy.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,720
    If you take the $24K standard deduction, HELOC deductibility won’t matter

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    They did broaden the underpayment penalty to not apply if you withheld 85% instead of 90% for 2018 taxes only. The penalty also does not apply if you withheld your previous year tax liability amount. The whole tax thing just seemed rushed and not thought out to me
    I withheld more than last year, and was just about break even in 2017, so no penalty should apply based on that. The wife and I will both be reviewing our withholding elections tonight, and adjusting accordingly. I'll probably end up overcompensating and get a big refund, but at least I won't have to see the software tell me "you ain't going on a late winter vacation to someplace warm this year, buddy".

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I’m pretty concerned about our taxes this year too. I think a lot of middle class folks are in for unpleasant surprises.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    especially if you had high itemized deductions in the past.

though as much as I complain about getting whapped with a tax bill, it is still way less than the 2 tuition bills I did not have to pay in 2018! So still ahead of the game.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,720
    For most people, the total tax bill will have come down. But, that doesn't mean you will get a big refund. Those that no longer itemize (most of us) will likely have a smaller refund. If you count on that as forced savings, then you were doing it wrong. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The deficit is already ballooning from it like in the past. Since the 80's these things tend to blow up down the road. Personally, I think the tax changes were drawn up to penalize people who live in blue states, while rewarding those in red states. That kind of political stuff usually doesn't work out or last long.
    oh, it definitely was. And if they did not do it intentionally, that absolutely was the end result.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The elephant in the room is that, adjusted for inflation, average workers' pay has not increased in 4 decades.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,137
    edited February 2019
    Even worse than that, those inflation figures don't seem to include massive cost of living inputs like healthcare and education, and in many areas, housing, all of which are tremendously more expensive now than then. 40 years ago, normal working people could afford houses here within reasonable commutes at reasonable prices. Not so much anymore, where in my area anyway, houses that could have been bought for 50K then can be 1MM or more now. But hey, TVs are cheaper, so it must be OK.
    I was thinking of something, the most traditional American car is still the MB E-class. Available as a sedan, (hardtop!) coupe, convertible, wagon. RWD basis. 4 different powertrains from a 4 to a normal V6 to a hot I6 to a snarling V8. Enormous custom order possibilities if one has a car built. Only caveat is that they aren't the most affordable.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well maybe the new A Class will become the "American sedan" that more people can afford. Obviously Ford and GM are ditching sedans, leaving only FCA to soldier on with the 300 and the Charger.
    I meant "American" in terms of layout and choices compared to old traditional American cars. The A will indeed be more affordable, but is still a FWD based small 4 cyl, not the most American configuration.

IIRC, 75% of E sales are sedans.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,093
    edited April 2019
    In RWD's, only the Charger and 300 will remain from domestic nameplates, that's right.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    So, with the Performance pack level two a Mustang GT MSRP is $49K!!!!! :open_mouth:
    So is there like a $10K incentive, or am I missing something?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Korean brands top J.D. Power's Initial Quality auto rankings

Ford topped all U.S. brands at No. 4, with Lincoln at 5th, Chevrolet at 6th, Dodge at 8th, Buick at 11th, GMC at 12th, Cadillac at 17th, Jeep at 18th, Ram at 21st and Chrysler at 25th.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2019/06/19/korean-brands-top-j-d-powers-initial-quality-auto-rankings/1488480001/
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    Alas, my beloved Jaguar has fallen down a well...
    But, my two cars/8 years of Jag ownership has been reliable and fun!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Ford, GM don’t make the most 'American-made’ car. Here's who does.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/industrials/ford-gm-dont-make-the-most-american-made-car-heres-who-does

Of the top 15, nine are manufactured by Japanese firms Honda or Toyota. Ford’s F-150 pickup is the only vehicle from the Dearborn-based company to make it on the list:

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​1. Jeep Cherokee
    2. Honda Odyssey
    3. Honda Ridgeline
    4. Honda Passport
    5. Chevrolet Corvette
    6. Acura MDX
    7. Honda Pilot
    8. Chevrolet Colorado
    9. GMC Canyon
    10. Acura RDX
    11. Chevrolet Camaro
    12. Toyota Avalon
    13. Ford F-150
    14. Honda Accord
    15. Toyota Tundra
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Yes, these companies (and most other non-automotive large companies as well) are pretty much globalized at this point. How much is made locally isn't hugely correlated to where HQ is located.
    On top of that, it is quite likely that your 401K has a global stock presence rather than strictly domestic.
    Cadillac News - No Surprise.

DETROIT — Few American brand names have ever achieved the stature of Cadillac, which was once so closely identified with excellence and status that it became shorthand for anything that was top of the line. And few brands have fallen as far.

Cadillac’s Last Stand? Storied Brand Aims (Again) for Revival

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/27/business/cadillac-brand.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    Arrogance and bean counters (no offense to accountants intended); two factors sinking Cadillac and GM in general. Thanks, Roger Smith and the brain surgeons that priced Caddy's, e.g. Allante, XLR and ELR.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I think Detroit in general has a pricing problem, which perhaps correlates to a cost problem vice many competitors. I also think trying to mimic Germany is not all that wise for Cadillac. If you want European you will probably buy European unless there is a compelling bargain to be found.
    I don't think one trick pony DeNysschen's naming strategy is helping either, nor did his now-reversed (I think) HQ move help anything. I shudder at the thought of the golden parachute he received for doing nothing.

I also think Caddy needs to be unabashedly American, not a German wannabe. Maybe dealers could use work too, my friend who shopped a CT6 last year was really put off when it came time to talk.
    Can the strike continue the vicious circle that GM always seems to suffer from historically? At least they make money in China.
    And there is Ford...

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/09/as-ford-grapples-with-explorer-and-aviator-issues-one-reader-doesnt-like-what-he-discovered/

Will they strike at Ford? What about the corruption probe at UAW?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/13/uaw-corruption-probe-details-lavish-use-of-union-funds-for-alcohol-cigars-steak-dinners.html

I guess it's nothing new as VW and Nissan are no better. I chose Mazda the last 10 years.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    circlew said:

And there is Ford...

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/09/as-ford-grapples-with-explorer-and-aviator-issues-one-reader-doesnt-like-what-he-discovered/

Will they strike at Ford? What about the corruption probe at UAW?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/13/uaw-corruption-probe-details-lavish-use-of-union-funds-for-alcohol-cigars-steak-dinners.html

I guess it's nothing new as VW and Nissan are no better. I chose Mazda the last 10 years.

Also a Mazda fan here. Mazda is like Honda of the 1980s.
    Why haven't other automakers building in the U.S., other than GM, Ford, and Tesla, stated publicly their willingness to make ventilators? If I'm wrong, please enlighten me.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    the perceived good press is not enough yet to make up for the money they would have to invest?

Do other automakers have that ability?
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Not sure I'd trust a ventilator from all manufacturers B)
    edited March 2020
    I constantly hear how 'American' import car companies are, but it seems they'd be stepping up here.

I always remember during the unintended acceleration thing of several years ago, seeing Toyota's NA Head at a congressional hearing sitting next to Mr. Toyoda. The NA head looked like a deer in the headlights, deferring much to Mr. Toyoda.

Just an observation, not a criticism here, but when our local Toyota dealership was feted for their 50th anniversary, two execs from Japan came and presented them with a Samurai sword. Uh, OK.

I constantly hear how 'American' import car companies are, but it seems they'd be stepping up here.

I always remember during the unintended acceleration thing of several years ago, seeing Toyota's NA Head at a congressional hearing sitting next to Mr. Toyoda. The NA head looked like a deer in the headlights, deferring much to Mr. Toyoda.

Just an observation, not a criticism here, but when our local Toyota dealership was feted for their 50th anniversary, two execs from Japan came and presented them with a Samurai sword. Uh, OK.

Could it be because the "American" companies that get constant bail outs, special tax breaks, and interest-free loans (to disguise further bailouts) can afford to make ventilators with our tax money?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Oh, they all get tax breaks and perks if they operate here, no matter where they are based. Capitalism, dontcha know.
    edited March 2020
    Pssst andres...it's 2020 now.

I know, I know, you had a lousy Neon 25 years ago. :)

Even stripping away my personal (only) preference for Detroit product, I sincerely do think the lack of any mention of pitching in now from any of the foreign companies assembling here, is deafening.

That said, I will shout it from the rooftops if they do start helping in the issue now.

Even stripping away my personal (only) preference for Detroit product, I sincerely do think the lack of any mention of pitching in now from any of the foreign companies assembling here, is deafening.

That said, I will shout it from the rooftops if they do start helping in the issue now.

I'd rather the companies that are good at what they do, stick to their day jobs and keep making bullet-proof vehicles (or work on getting as close to bulletproof and flawless as possible.

While this is bad for business at Tow Trucks R US, it is good for my disposable income, and I can help out the economy more buying $4.50 Lattes and $10 gourmet Bacon Cheeseburgers at BURGER BENCH in Escondido (they use all locally grown product; you'll like that!). If you are ever in the area, recommend the Bench Burger highly.
    edited March 2020
    Daughter lives in San Luis Obispo. I couldn't live in a place where so much of my money would go to real estate and gas, but I'll concede to being a cheapskate. She enjoys it there.

When I moved her out there last August, we ended up driving on two-lane roads right past where James Dean was killed in his Porsche Spyder on 9/30/55. I love 20th century U.S. history and pop culture and I did get a chill going through there. There's a California state marker there (Cholame, CA). We wondered why about 30 miles back east of there was a Texaco station with enormous cutouts of Dean outside. When I got home and Googled it, that was the last place he stopped, to buy a Coke and an apple. It's called Blackwell's Corner.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

The toyota company is running a nice ad talking about caring and understanding during this difficult time here in SW Ohio.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Everybody's talking about it, but I do seriously wonder why I have heard absolutely nothing about any companies besides GM, Ford, and Tesla making ventilators for the problems brought on by this.
    I believe Nissan in the U.K. has talked about it. Making ventilators is not easy, however. Tesla is uniquely positioned to do so because the SpaceX company also makes air systems.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Although my wife was on the phone talking over it, so I couldn't hear it all, I heard that GM had to be pushed into ventilators today. I wonder if the foreign manufacturers operating here can't be forced into production a la WWII era, because those automakers aren't considered U.S. corporations? I have no idea.

I actually heard Lordstown mentioned in the press meeting today, but I couldn't hear details. My understanding was that the company which moved into the plant is called "Lordstown Motors" and is not related to GM, although GM plans to provide batteries from a nearby plant to them. Interesting to me as Lordstown is only about 40 miles down the road from me, and in fact was about that far from me where I grew up as well, just going the opposite direction.

I'm foggy on these details.
    I saw something today that Dyson had invented (or was working on) a new more efficient design ventilator that they would be cranking out soon.

my guess is that ventilators is a product that has not really changed in decades, because there was no incentive before now to do so. But looking at them, they really seem like antiques so very possible that pretty soon they will have made an evolutionary leap.

also seems like something that should be a central device (like a central vacuum system) where there is a big air device, and ports to hook hoses into at each bed. That way you only need the hose and a regulator either at the wall connection or part of the hose.

actually, that is like a garage where they have a giant compressor and lines running around the place that you just hooked your pneumatic tool into. Today's hospitals are the equivalent of every work space needing their own compressor.

I saw someone who can't shut up call out Barra, too.

MB has something on their facebook feed about 3D printing specialized medical gear, but I don't know where they are doing it.
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    GM (and Ford too) should not be shamed nor blamed for not being able to turn on a dime and produce products very far out of their core business. They can most likely do it, but it will take some time, and publicly shaming them (GM in particular) does absolutely no good and shows a lack of understanding of manufacturing and a lack of leadership. I’m about as far from a GM fan as you can find, but fair is fair and they do not deserve this type of treatment.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
    I'm pro-GM, but it was presented that they wanted more money. I guess they've come to an agreement.

Still, I sincerely wonder why the foreign companies who assemble cars here haven't made statements about doing the same. I haven't heard it, if they have.
    First, the government directly asked GM, not other automakers. Second, the auto unions were on board to make up for the plant closings. Third, the administration’s harsh criticism of GM’s attempts scared off both Ford and Chrysler, let alone anybody else. Now, finally, everyone seems to be cooperating. In the end, who cares who did what or offered what, the point is to get more ventilators up and running in this country.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Good chance GM with their various facilities was better suited to a side project like this.