Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New car leftover residue from transport wrap

ShootnparShootnpar Member Posts: 2
edited February 2019 in General
Looking for advice on how to remove some leftover transport wrap residue from a new Honda Civic that we just purchased. Didn’t want to use my fingernail :). Any advice is appreciated.

Answers

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    I’ve always had luck using a product called Goo Gone and a soft cloth like a diaper. It’s orange oil and I’ve never had it harm anything I’ve used it on.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That might work--to be safe, though, test it on some obscure and hidden part of the paint surface.
    \
    You might also try WD-40. Soak the tape and let it sit for a minute--wipe off any drip-down that isn't part of the work area.

Then very gently use the edge of a credit card to scrape off the tape--don't apply lots of pressure, just enough to "catch" the edge of the tape to peel it off.

Then, when you're done, you can buff and wax if you need to.

Again, test the WD-40 on a hidden surface. I've never had it hurt anything, but better safe than sorry.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    Stop back at you dealer, show it to your salesperson and have the dealer remove it.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,705
    Yes, this is the dealer's responsibility. If you try and fix it, and something goes wrong, you can't get any help from the dealer.
  • ShootnparShootnpar Member Posts: 2
    Thanks everyone, dealer came through and did the right thing