Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Test driving cars in major metro areas is a pain. Your always stuck taking a sales person along. only 3 blocks is a bit short. When I test drove my OB, the sales guy (Eric) had a route that he liked. It consisted of some interstate, some twisty roads at about 35mph and some stop light intersections. When I asked for more, he gladdly said sure... We put on another 20+ miles and tested a bunch of on/off ramps. I wanted to make sure that 4 banger could merge with traffic.

For reference, where I live a GMC dealer let me take a new serria (50 miles on it) home for the weekend. Same thing with the dodge dealer we bought our van from.

I've asked the sales people about why they have to ride along. Guess its because of insurance. Too many stollen ones, and too many used in other crimes.

--Jay
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Test drive policies vary quite a bit by dealer. One Subaru dealer here in the Bay Area will simply take a copy of your license, hand over the keys and tell you to have a good time. Another, not too far away, will have a salesperson who won't shut up ride with you the whole time.

Ken
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    this time with Mike's format!

=)

-Lucien Walsh
    1999 Legacy 2.5GT
    1999 Outback (wife)
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Hi!

-Colin
    '95 BMW M3
    replaced a '99 Impreza 2.5RS and I *won't leave*
    ;-)
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    I'm sure you'll enjoy these boards. I'm going to try to chat tonight, so I hope to see you there!

Patti
    2K2 WRX + whatever they've given me to drive over the years.
  • miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    -Colin
    '95 BMW M3
    replaced a '99 Impreza 2.5RS and I *won't leave*

You better not! We need full gearhead and petrochemical representation! (that's a complement, btw)

Cheers,

..Mike

..Mike

• hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Ladywclass-
    Welcome :)

-Dave
    1998 SGP Outback Limited
    1999 GBP Outback Sport (Mom's)
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    Greetings and welcome to the show that never ends!
    (Who is it, for you rock fans?)

Serge (the only one)
    2002 WRX Wagon
    Wife has a 2001 Legacy GT sedan
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    welcome! time to boost our Subaru sorority!
    --Kate
    2001 Subaru Forester S Premium
    (1992 and 1993 Subaru Loyales prior to that)
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    I own a '93 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra S with 160,000 miles on it. The only reason I kept it when I bought the Outback was that I had a kid who needed a car.
    The Outback is the wintergreen color and I love it. I've put about 35,000 miles on it in about 2 years. I've made several trips of over 3,000 miles round trip in it. OCCASIONALLY I have wished for a bit more power, but for 99% of the driving I do, 4 cyl is fine. It has the all-weather package which I absolutely love. I am a Texas transplant, and bought the car shortly after moving to 'snow country'. We had something like 78" of snow that year by December 31. It started snowing in November and didn't stop. The car performed like a dream.
    ...Ladywclass!

Ken (I'll make the chat again one of these days!)
    1998 Forester S, sparking clean with Klasse ;-)
  • hgutsteinhgutstein Member Posts: 65
    Glad to see you are still on the boards.. Where are you located? If you are contemplating surgery, I have many contacts as this is my field. Can get you set up with a reliable (conservative) 2nd opinion at the very least. Email is best way to find me - I have not been able to check the boards much lately.

All the best,

howard
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Hi, I'm from NYC, I'm Mike.

-Paisan
    '88 Subaru XT6 AT (sold)
    '91 Subaru XT6 MT (sold)
    '92 Subaru SVX (just bought)
    '00 Isuzu Trooper LS
    others in my family:
    '97 Legacy L
    '97 Outback
    '00 Outback
    '93 Legacy FWD
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

For Serge's benefit, there is a line on the Emerson Lake and Palmer song Karn Evil 9, First Impression on Brain Salad Surgery which runs:

Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends,
    We're so glad you could attend,
    Come inside, come inside

There behind a glass is a real blade of glass.
    be careful as you pass,
    Move along! Move along!

Come inside, the show's about to start
    Guaranteed to blow your head apart
    Rest assured you'll get your money's worth
    The greatest show in Heaven, Hell or Earth!

You've got to see the show, it's a dynamo
    You've got to see the show, it's rock and roll

I've always suspected that part of the motivation was the PT Barnum philosophy (This Way to the Egress).

Now what really worries me is that I am word perfect (I think) on a song I have not heard for 25 years. I never even really liked it. However, there is a lovely rendition of Jerusalem, my favourite hymn, on the album (We had this at our wedding notwithstanding that it is actually a battle hymn) together with a zippy little ditty, Benny the Bouncer.

Now Benny was the bouncer at the Palais de Dance,
    He'd smash your granny's face up given half the chance,
    He'd sell you back the pieces, all for less than half a quid,
    He thought he was the meanest, until he met with Savage Syd....

And we worry about Rap artists.

Cheers

Graham

Cheers

Graham
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I intended to say something yesterday about the chat issues were supposedly fixed, but time got away from me. So, was it okay last night? Any problems?

Also, welcome to the Crew, ladywclass!
    Hi Karen,

The chat was up, but I'm not able to use it because the Java chat program requires an Internet-visible IP address (a security hole large enough to drive a bus full of hackers through). I'm behind a firewall using NAT so I don't have a unique Internet address. Windows Messenger, AOL IM, and Yahoo! Messenger chat programs work through SOCKS5 or HTTP proxies behind firewalls, Edmunds' should too.

The HTML chat is not user-friendly (I'm being generous); when refreshing over DSL, last night's chat with 8 participants quickly scrolled off the Lilliputian chat window.

Unfortunately, the HTML interface is not worth the agony so I won't make chats until the Java chat program works through a SOCKS5 or HTTP proxy. I realize firewall users may be the minority (well, if you exclude Subaru corporate users ;) and that my problem may not be a priority.

Cheers,

..Mike

PS - I sure wanted to talk about the 2004 Forester 2.5l turbo rumor!

..Mike

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    As with all chat format, trying to stay focused on any one topic is tough.

Bob
    Maybe my firewall isn't setup right but the Java works through my router w/o a problem.

-mike
    Bob, I'm comfortable with the dynamic nature of chats; it's the Edmunds' HTML interface that makes chat unusable (for me). Chunks of the conversation scroll past the unscrollable HTML chat window (over DSL; modem would would be exacerbate).

..Mike

..Mike

mike, Are you using NAT? A firewall doesn't require NAT (Network Address Translation), but it enhances security. With NAT, my computer (and network) isn't directly addressable from the Internet. I only have SMTP and web servers visible to the Internet (as they're the only ones that need it). The configuration is similar to most companies (at least those concerned about security). :)

..Mike

..Mike

My router is accessible I would think. but each individual PC can't be hit from the net on any ports.

-mike
    get into the chat again. It is very frustrating.

Patti
    I'm still not at work. I'll have a plan from a surgeon on 10/1. I'm getting a bit grouchy - I just want this fixed.

I'm in southern New Jersey. Feel free to e-mail me a name if you know of anyone that is good.

Thanks!

Patti
    You are correct...saw ELP in NY many years ago from the first row center...at the beginning of the concert, Keith Emerson came down from the ceiling tied to the piano seat, because he, the seat and the piano were upside down; he was playing as the whole contraption came down slowly and revolved in an upright position. Their rendition of O Jersalem is one of my favorites.
    Serge
    For those of you not watching the news, since last night, there has been a BOLO (Be on the lookout for some cars from Georgia headed to Miami..3 middle-eastern looking men were overheard in a Shoneys to be talking about some terrorist activity.."they will be mourning also on Sept 13th.." The 3 men, in 2 cars, were stopped on Alligator Alley (I-75 between Naples and Ft. Lauderdale) this morning and the TV stations have been showing the bomb-squad slowly taking things out of the cars. These guys actually blew thru the toll plaza at Naples...so far, they are only being detained and questioned, not yet arrested. Stay tuned.
    4am this morning there was a huge amount of fire-trucks a few blocks from my house and lots of wierd equipment showing up as I left for work...

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Loosh: looks like your feedback about Subaru.com worked! I'm glad it loads more quickly.

Steve: I fully agree about the L/SE. In fact I bet it'll not only steal away GT sales, but also some base Outback sales.

Sorry I had to miss the chat - our nanny is a grandma for the first time, and we took her to see her grandson.

Welcome Brenda. And no, it wasn't me that invited her to join, though I'm glad she did. Wintergreen is a wonderful color!

-juice

'98 Forester Project 2.5RS (inside joke)
    '02 Wintergreen Legacy L "juice Special Edition (*)"

* we added all the SE options ourselves!
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    Much happier experience test driving today with a great salesman at a different dealership (thanks Jay!). Salesman said the Legacy L/SE will kill GT sales, not that there was much to kill. You surely are right, Juice, that the SE will nibble into OB sales. To my mind, the SE is the best bargain in the Subie lineup.

I've really narrowed my search down. Now trying to decide between: used 02 Forester, 03 Forester, 03 OBS, 03 Legacy SE wagon or a used 02 WRX wagon. I turned 60 this summer, so I think I'm mature enough to own a WRX; I bet I could keep it down to one speeding ticket a month. Wow, what a beautifully nasty machine. In heaven we'll all get to drive WRXs and the highway cops will be stuck in clapped-out Saturns.

Steve
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Have any of you noticed that on the Subaru site base Outbacks are less expensive than everything else except base Imprezzas?

Somehow, I always expected Foresters to be less expensive than Outbacks...
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Belated blessings to all. Guess I was reflecting all week.

Lady - Welcome.

Greg
    01 Winestone OB, which picked up a nail in one of my new tires yesterday. arghhh!
  • subiedaddysubiedaddy Member Posts: 22
    are you a teacher? if so, whaddaya teach? im a teacher too-

jorge

extremely proud owner of 2003 Forester X manual

1994 Impreza 2wd sedan (mom)
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    I have teaching licenses for elementary education, music K-8, supervision, and mid-management K-12 (admin) with master's in elem ed and master's in secondary ed (the admin license) and working on master's in special ed .. lol
    I've taught general ed 1st grade, gifted ed K-6 for 10 years, supervisor of g/t program K-12 while teaching full time, general ed 4th grade, low income, high income, diverse population and 'white bread' (lol) A move to Indiana and the only job available is in the 'shortage' area of special education ... so here I am ... 3rd year in elementary special education on a severe disabilities license. I work a split schedule 1/2 time at one school, then 1/2 time in the other. I've done this the past two years, but this year was transferred to two different schools than the ones where I've worked. It's 'interesting'.
    So what do YOU teach jorge?
    the battery in the OB died yesterday. Thing is, the dealer insisted on "cleaning" it a week and a half ago. It came back clean but all wet. I assumed it was solvent that would evaporate, and forgot about it, But the battery was still wet yesterday, which leads me to believe the dealer somehow sprung a leak on the water reservoir while "cleaning" it. It wouldn't hold a charge no how no way. Jumped it, drove it 20 yards, died, jumped, parked it, died again. gotta go retreive it today. I suppose I will get 2 batteries since the GT is also a 1999 and will likely croak soon too. Any battery-buying suggestions out there? Just go to ITB?
    Susan's Legacy makes a gurgling noise for the first few minutes after startups, like some liquid going from one place to another, and then stops. The tech at Subaru couldn't reproduce it. Do any of you folks know what might be causing the noise and is it fixable?
    Any help would be appreciated...thanks
    Serge
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Your timing is pretty good! Newest Consumer Reports has a car battery test... NAPA batteries did OK, but I can't remember the rest of the details (CRS disease setting in), but it's there.

Cheers!
    Paul
    i ran out to NTB and picked up somne kind of Die Hard thing- 550CCA and installed it. Now the car has bells and whistles and lights etc. but still no spark. Won't even turn over. Just makes little noises. I must say this is very frustrating coming on the heels of $550 in dealer work. NOT upset with the car mind you, just highly suspicious of the integrity of the dealer's work- remember they chasnged the plugs and performed a "battery service." Hmmmm.......
    I got it running. Apparently a "battery service" doesn't include cleaning the bloody leads. The positive lead was corroded and covered in coppery white flakes. I cleaned it and reattached it to the new battery. Voila, purrs like a kitten. Let it run 2 minutes to reset the ECU. Now I gotta get Kirst and head back over to retrieve it.
    did you ever plus one your RS? If not, any particular reason?
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    one what? a battery?

...um, no I don't think I did. I did have a terminal get a little crusty though. never reached the point you described.

-Colin
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Loosh - In my experience, as long as a battery is maintained (not letting the water level get below the plates - juice?), good ones last five to seven years. You've just learned the other point-of-care: clean the connections (some people coat them with Vaseline AFTER everything is connected and tight).

I think your problem was induced by the service (probably NOT intentionally). Fluid level and clean connections are all you really need to do to a battery. If those things are good on your GT, at most, ask a trusted mechanic to check the battery but I wouldn't just change it. My $0.02.

Jim
    Jim- thanks for the peace of mind. I didn't get a new one for the GT, so I will follow that advice.

Colin- duh, my bad...I meant rims. Rota Subzeros are getting so cheap I am thinking of getting a set of 17"s, but then I don't think you ever bothered, did you?

heh heh I guess you got 'em now though.... =)
    Loosh,

Sounds like the dealer is suspect. A battery tune-up and the leads all corroded? Anyway, it's good to know you've got everything working now. If you're concerned about future battery lead corrosion, just get some dielectric grease.

Ken
    Brenda- what a wonderful series of accomplishments that you have! just goes to show subie drivers are something else

my career teaching spans the time you taught gifted ed i believe...this is my third year teaching first grade, a wonderful time of life

also did straight or combos of second, third and fourth for a few years apiece and some other stuff, categoricals, governance, etc.

i remember being at nsci a few years ago and hearing about "standards and accountability: texas style" it was actually more like "el paso style" but it seemed pretty harsh, like factory conditions during the 1800's

do you see education heading anywhere in particular?

regards, jorge
    got this last night, i did my 3k oil change "there" with "them" about two weeks ago...

To protect the value of your Subaru and keep it operating at peak

performance, it is important that scheduled maintenance be performed in

a timely manner.

After reviewing our service records for your 2003 Subaru FORESTER 2.5X,

we determined that your mileage should be approximately 3,195 and may

now require the following maintenance:

3,750 Mile Maintenance

Please call us at 805.371.5555 to schedule a maintenance

service appointment that is convenient for you.

We thank you for choosing Subaru of Thousand Oaks, and we look forward

to serving you soon.

We have special offers for you! Click here for details.

http://my.subaru.com/pgcoupons/coupons.asp?dealerid=140-537

aint that a kick in the pants?

best to all,

jorge

Ran it in the STX class. Took 1st in STX. Was running the same times as WRXs on streets. Not bad for an AT heavy car! :)

Downside was that my exhaust leak finally gave out :(

-mike
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    I missed that :(

-Dave
    Jim: I plead guilty. I let the water level run low and my battery died at about the same interval as Loosh's battery, 4 years or so. So let that be a warning to everyone else - buy some distilled water and top 'em off every year or so.

But I don't know about petroleum jelly, that stuff will just melt off when hot, won't it? I was at my brother-in-laws in CT when I swapped my battery, he had that spray stuff purpose built for battery terminals, so we used that.

1st in class? Nice run. Did you win a plaque or anything like that? Pics?

Base Outbacks run $22,895 at MSRP, plus freight, lots of Subies are cheaper than that: Legacy L, L/SE, Impreza TS, RS, Outback Sport, and Forester X. The GT and the XS are the same price.

What you might be seeing is steeper discounts on base models (someone mentioned a $1200 incentive to clear the 2002s) and little availability of the cheaper models. But I've seen tons of L/SEs in dealers.

-juice
    Hit the beach this weekend, took the Legacy. Managed 29.11 mpg on mostly highway driving in the rain, with 4 passengers a dog (not a cat) and tons of luggage! That's already close to Sandy's record, and Lucky ain't even broken in yet!

In fact, her average is creeping up slowly, currently 24.89mpg. Sandy's is 24.95mpg, but I have a feeling the Legacy will beat the Forester eventually.

More good news - the wife went to court over that speeding ticket and got off with PBJ. Peanut-butter and jelly? No, probation before judgement. No points! :-)

Saturday we got nice weather so we were even in the water. Sunday it rained so we hit the LL Bean outlet, natch.

-juice