Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Automatic transmission problems at 5000 rpm - '14 Wrangler Unlimited

marwanjk2014marwanjk2014 Member Posts: 7
edited December 2014 in Jeep
Hello, I have recently purchased a 2014 new wrangler unlimited. When I got it it had 0 miles so it's brand new. I used it for 2 weeks now, and suddenly I faced a problem with my gears. When I press the gas pedal all the way down, and the jeep kick off, the rpm stops at 5,000 and from that point on it goes really slow and the jeep feels like dying. It need about 10 seconds for the motor to go from 5000 rpm to 6,500 rpm and that's when it changes gears. It wasn't like that and I have no idea what happened.
Any idea of what might have happened?

Best Answers

Answers

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,742
    Why are you running the engine that hard? It's likely the engineers designed limits into the system to protect the drivetrain from abuse. If that is the case, then the system is likely recording these events and if you manage to break something it could easily be on your dime instead of being under warranty.
  • marwanjk2014marwanjk2014 Member Posts: 7
    So there is no problem whatsoever with the transmission? As far as I know it's working fine until I press the pedal all the way
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think your rev limiter is set for something like 6000--6200 rpm, so it sounds like you are just reaching the safe limits of the engine.
    The thing is that it just goes really fast till it hits 5000 rpm, and then the engine seems like suffering or chocking to reach the 6500 and to change gears
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well a misfire would probably have thrown a code, but a fuel starvation issue might not---it's hard to say without driving the thing. It might be you are just experiencing valve float. I don't know the extreme rpm behavior of that particular engine.
    With today's cars and the sophistication of the computer controls, those potential causes are easily eliminated based on the lack of trouble codes or warning lamps. Anything that causes the crankshaft to not accelerate under combustion would easily be recognized as a misfire. Combine that with a heavy throttle and the weighted strategy would result in a flashing check engine light as a catalyst damaging misfire. In the past the manufacturers didn't use full range misfire detection and they would have had to rely on the 1000 revolution counters and set the code as an emissions misfire.

The best part? If the system did generate a code, clearing it turns the light off, but doesn't completely eliminate the history of the event. Combine that with the snapshot data that is saved and the manufacturer will have a very good picture of exactly what was going on.
    You are absolutely right in what you said. There were some signs flashing on the dashboard and after I took it to the maintenance they were gone but the problem still existed. Whenever I drive normal, the gears are smooth as silk, but whenever I press the pedal to the floor it goes up to 5,000 rpm and then chokes, do you have any idea how I can fix this?
    Ok, so he takes it to the dealer and doesn't describe the conditions that the problem occurs under. How would anyone expect a technician to experience the symptoms in order to get a sense of direction for the diagnostics?

Meanwhile if the tech would go out and drive this in a manner that he/she could get it to act up how many people are going to stand in line waiting for their turn to criminalize the effort?

Meanwhile the tech likely got paid .3 for the first visit, and NOTHING for any repeat visits especially with "No Trouble Found."
    I described everything in details. They even drove it and said nothing was wrong but it's still there. I was wondering if I could get any help here so I would have an idea about what's wrong and how to fix it
    Diagnosing performance issues, or really any vehicle problem isn't as simple as some attempt to portrait it. This would have to be experienced by the technician, while a scan tool is connected recording a snap-shot of the data just to even get a starting point. It's safe to say that nobody is going to have any first hand experience with your vehicle (or one identical to it) other than a dealership technician, and they darn sure don't have the scan tool that would be required.
    (The WiTech)

Your best bet at this point will be to drive the vehicle with the dealer technician. The odds are that the high speed requirement might not have been passed onto the tech and even if it was there would be no shortage of people calling for the techs job if he/she got caught attempting to re-create the failure conditions.

If the tech doesn't experience the failure first hand, this will go no-where. Is there some randomness to the symptom or is it very repeatable? Is there anything else about the symptom that hasn't been mentioned such as exactly what warning lights came on? Did they stay on for some period of time before going back out? Did hey just come on, or flash?
    Well the check engine sign came on as well as the traction sign. And there was that red sign that looks like lightning that started flashing but they managed to turn them off. Now the signs are all off but thr problem persists
    The red lightning bolt sign is for the electronic throttle control. (#29 in your owners manual) so getting a check engine light, as well as traction control lamps all make sense. Now in the shop I'd take this additional information and have to start the diagnostic routine all over again. What codes were set in the different modules that control these systems? If the PCM generated a full code there would be freeze frame data that would also give me the operating conditions to assist in recreating a failure. If this is a non-continuous monitor, it could take two consecutive trips to generate a full code and store freeze frame data. So what could it be? There isn't enough information to really say. Any attempted guess, like a synchronization issue between the TPS sensors at wide open throttle, or an issue where the volumetric efficiency isn't plausible when compared to the throttle opening and the engine rpm could be in play but taking statements like those and running to the dealership with them only serve to make more noise in an already difficult challenge. Your Wrangler is likely the only one presenting with this system issue, virtually no one else runs their Wranglers that hard so even if there is an issue they wouldn't know and wouldn't be reporting it. You will need to drive this with the technician to be sure that it actually occurs so that they have a chance to diagnose it. Information that the tech will need is how often does this symptom occur? They need to know if they need to drive it more than what would be permitted in a normal diagnostic routine. Remember at this point the tech is likely to not be paid for any additional time that he/she spends with your car.
    I just took it to the tech and drove it with him. Hopefully he'll figure out the problem. Thank you so much
    Did it do it for him?
  • Minizaz79Minizaz79 Member Posts: 1
    I know this is 4 years later, but what was the issue?   My 2013 wrangler is doing the exact same thing..
  • NishwalNishwal Member Posts: 1

I have the same problem too on my 2014. Anyone found the problem?