Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Traverse Stabilitrak/Traction Control problems

Comments

• toetagntoetagn Member Posts: 3
    ray80 said:

toetagn said:

I have 2014 traverse the service stabilizer / service traction control keeps going on and off
    I take it to dealer he clears codes and tells me nothing is wrong .
    I was in a accident because the car would not stop proper it shook and shacked when holding break down .
    Lucky I wasn’t going to fast . after getting it fixed the dealer once again cleared codes and sent me on my way .
    Please help why wouldn’t the traverse not stop and how can we get this fixed proper.
    I have a 8 year old daughter and my wife in this car most time We don’t feel safe.

Find a better dealer . Shudder/pulsing brake pedal sounds like ABS system is detecting possible skidding is working to make safer stop (as designed). Did you hold your foot steady on brake pedal?
  • toetagntoetagn Member Posts: 3
    The sensors say service stabilizer control service anti skid control and yes I held it steady it didn't break and shakes when driving right before
    and after cant go over 45 miles a hr
  • speedyt86speedyt86 Member Posts: 3
    I have 2013 Traverse with 50K, bought it in Feb had it about 2 weeks. While driving it I heard 4 dings then got error stating traction control off, stab control requires servicing, then reduced engine power. Once I got off the road I turned it off and started it again, everything would reset and I could drive normal. It kept getting worse, what I mean by that it happened more frequently and then it just started stalling. I bought a scanner and would always get the same code. As an aircraft mechanic we trouble shoot before swapping out parts, well found out dealerships don't do that, they scan a code and then swap out parts pertaining to that code. Might work sometimes but not with this issue. It is a wiring issue, somewhere. I was getting frustrated because I could not get any schematics for wiring and all the shops around wanted to hook a computer up to see codes. I broke down and took it to a dealership cost me $300 to check codes and swap out 2 relays....DID NOT FIX PROBLEM. After a month found a very small dealership, they had the same thoughts as me.....Long story short. Starting checking grounds they were good, looked at wiring going thru manifold, all looked good. Finally they looked at the fuse box, took the top off to look at the wiring harness underneath, they found loose bolt that holds a harness to the fuse box, and fixed a bent pin. I have had the car over a week with no issues. Before I took it to them I would drive about 20 miles before it would act up, now its been a full week with no issues. Best part they treated me with respect, listened to my opinions, and took me serious. The repair cost me $15 for gas they had to put in while test driving it after the fix......If your in the Little Rock area check them out Gerren Chevrolet in England Arkansas.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    speedyt86 said:

As an aircraft mechanic we trouble shoot before swapping out parts, well found out dealerships don't do that, they scan a code and then swap out parts pertaining to that code.

First, glad you found a technician who has the skills and took the time to work through this and repaired your car. But. My neighbor is an aircraft mechanic and he tells me all the time about how they load up the parts cannon all the time and don't do anywhere near the kinds of diagnostics that cars require.
    speedyt86 said:

Might work sometimes but not with this issue. It is a wiring issue, somewhere. I was getting frustrated because I could not get any schematics for wiring

AlldataDIY.com

http://alldatadiy.com/?affiliate_id=93770&click_id=1970479346
    speedyt86 said:

and all the shops around wanted to hook a computer up to see codes. I broke down and took it to a dealership cost me $300 to check codes and swap out 2 relays....DID NOT FIX PROBLEM.

The problem, or a problem, some of the problem? For $300 they did more than just check codes. Checking codes is a starting point but has very little to do with random failure diagnostics. In your posts you mentioned that you think the code was P1862 which while that code specifically does not show in Mitchell on Demand for your model, it is in the group of codes associated to transmission/transfer case and there are several of them that could result from a loss of power to those control circuits so you are probably off a digit or two but close enough to try and get a picture of what was going on. At $300 they had their tech spend two to three hours and pulled the plug after that.
    speedyt86 said:

After a month found a very small dealership, they had the same thoughts as me.....Long story short. Starting checking grounds they were good, looked at wiring going thru manifold, all looked good. Finally they looked at the fuse box, took the top off to look at the wiring harness underneath, they found loose bolt that holds a harness to the fuse box, and fixed a bent pin. I have had the car over a week with no issues. Before I took it to them I would drive about 20 miles before it would act up, now its been a full week with no issues. Best part they treated me with respect, listened to my opinions, and took me serious. The repair cost me $15 for gas they had to put in while test driving it after the fix......

Here is where this really all goes sideways. Flat rate techs only get paid a percentage of what you are charged. Figuring the gas used amounted to some 6 gallons, that's 130 miles. Allowing for some of that on the highway as well as dealing with traffic and knowing just what it would really take to get the car to act up and perform voltage drop testing during the failure that easily took all day, a full eight hours. That can only mean the tech didn't get paid for his/her time to solve this for you. BTDT way too many times to count. Most of the time stuff like this gets spread across a few days while the tech does other work to try and still earn a paycheck for that week. But the end result is what is free to you from that dealer wasn't actually free because the tech and his/her family became the ones to pay for it.

• dlsibraydlsibray Member Posts: 1
    2010 Traverse - recently i have been getting error messages for everything...literally all at one time. I do not lose power as in speed or anything like that but things just stop working. flue gauge drops to E, blinkers stop, MPH to zero even if I am going 70, tire light comes on when pressure is correct. All this happens at once then magically comes back. Yesterday was the first time it did it continuously for a couple min then was fine the rest of my hour commute. History of the car it sat dormant for about 2 years until February (mother passed away) but other than recharging the AC, changing the oil all has been fine.

At a loss and can't afford to play replace this and that until it is figured out. Any suggestions???
    Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You might check to see if any of the technicians LISTED HERE are in your area. These are among the best trained techs in the business. Click on the tab "repair shops". Your dealer seems to be in over his head on this one.
  • cardad531cardad531 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 traverse LS with 94,000 miles onbt and just had this warning pop up today that the traction control was off and to have it and the stabilitrak serviced. Is this part of the power train? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. We literally bought the car a week and a half ago. 
    Stabilitrak isn't any one thing you can point to--it's a system of various sensors modules and wiring, any of which can trigger that light. So it has to be diagnosed part by part. There are many ways to guess wrong but a well-trained tech should be able to nail this down for you.
  • moreno77moreno77 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Chevy traverse. I didn't know much about cars. And got tricked into getting this awful vehicle. Since the first month I had it and they ignored my calls. And I have 2 years still too pay this car. Chevy sucks. I'm switching to Honda
  • reneearobsonreneearobson Member Posts: 1
    Wow wish I wouldve seen this thread before buying my used 2011 Traverse. Just had this happen to me while driving 70mph on the highway, in Dec. Luckily there was no car behind me or ice/snow on the road. And by the sound of everyones comments Im going to have pay a ton of money for nothing to actually get fixed. How many people does this need to happen to before theres a recall or a Class Action Law suit?? Clearly something went wrong with the production and GM should have to fix this before people start dying because of it!
    These problems can be fixed, but you need to be a skilled tech to do it right.
  • brhastlbrhastl Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for this post and all of the comments. I have a 2016 Traverse and today while crossing a bridge the "traction control off", "service stabilitrak" and "engine power restricted" notifications came on and the car would only go 35-40 and was shuddering like it wanted to turn off. I stopped, turned the car off, waited and resumed driving but this happened again and again, every 5-10 or so miles. This is a dangerous and alarming problem and I wish I had done more research prior to buying....

Has anyone in St. Louis area had any success with a certain dealer fixing this problem?
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    brhastl said:

Thank you for this post and all of the comments. I have a 2016 Traverse and today while crossing a bridge the "traction control off", "service stabilitrak" and "engine power restricted" notifications came on and the car would only go 35-40 and was shuddering like it wanted to turn off. I stopped, turned the car off, waited and resumed driving but this happened again and again, every 5-10 or so miles. This is a dangerous and alarming problem and I wish I had done more research prior to buying....

Has anyone in St. Louis area had any success with a certain dealer fixing this problem?

Have you gotten it scanned yet to find out which one of many components might have caused the reduced power message to come up? Also if it coming up all the time now best to get it somewhere for fix, I wouldn't keep driving it as you may be causing damage to engine or drive train.

• brhastlbrhastl Member Posts: 2
    I have not gotten the diagnostic. I am searching for a dealership/tech in the area that has a history of success with this type of problem.
  • my2010traversemy2010traverse Member Posts: 1
    RE: Traction Control/Stabilitrak Issue, Engine Power Reduction. Throttle body.

I just purchased a 2010 Chevy Traverse LT2 AWD, at the end of July 2017, from a dealership. It looked like, and drove like a brand new car.
    A week later, I left the radio on while doing some yard work, and the battery died. I figured all I had to do was jump the battery and everything would be fine. I jump the battery, and the car was back to normal, so I thought.

For the following few days, I noticed my Traverse was shifting hard, and at a higher RPM than normal. On the third day, my engine light came on. I went to a local garage up the road, and though the engine light was on,  there was no code, so they reset the engine light, and I was good to go, so I thought.

The car still shifted hard and it just wasn't running right. But, everyone kept telling me that it was all in my head. Well, 2 days before Thanksgiving, I was driving down the road, and my DCM displayed " traction control off, service traction control." Followed by " service Stabilitrak". After about a mile, it displayed " engine power is reduced". I was now in limp mode. Then the front of the car under the hood, started making some funny rumbling noises, so I pulled over. I tried restoring settings the factory. I shut the car off for a couple minutes, and started it again period before taking off, I restore the settings back to factory one more time. I was able to drive the 25-minute ride back to my house with no problems.
    After 58 miles, the same thing happened again. So I followed the same process with restoring the settings back to factory, and was all set. Then it happened again after another 50 miles. My husband and I started looking at the forum's, and saw that a lot of people had to replace the throttle body in order for it to stop happening. My husband is very mechanically inclined, so he took a look at the throttle body, it had so much carbon buildup around the outside, that my husband was in shock. So he spent about an hour cleaning what he could, without disturbing the unit. Once he did that, I was able to drive another 400 miles with no problems. The car still wasn't driving the way it was driving when I left the dealership in July.
    I came across an article about this issue. The article stated that if your battery has ever been disconnected, or has died, or you replace the throttle body unit, in the Chevy Traverse, you must do a throttle body relearn process. The reason being, is because if the battery dies/or is disconnected, the throttle body will not remember it's home idle position. It also has no memory whatsoever. It will open and close much more, making it work harder, makking the car drive hard, shift at a high RPM, and causes massive carbon buildup around the unit , causing issues. That's why the DCM messages came on for the traction control, Stabilitrak and engine reduction power. Had I did the relearn process back in August, when I accidentally killed the battery, none of these issues would have happened.
    To prove that this was the case, we cleaned the carbon buildup from around the outside of the throttle body unit, because once again it was really bad. We disconnected the battery, reconnected the battery, and did a relearn process ourselves. The dealership wanted to charge us close to $500 for the relearn process. The relearn process is only four simple steps. You start the car, let it idle for 60 seconds, then you drive at speeds of 45 miles per hour or higher, while going through stages of acceleration in de-acceleration for about 10 minutes. Then you park the car, let it idle another 60 seconds, and that is it. IT WORKED!! No engine light, Shifting the way it should, driving again like a brand new car. It has now been 448 miles, no issues whatsoever. We have also taken a look at the outside of the throttle body unit, and no carbon buildup at all. Before going to the dealership, and getting rooked into all sorts of different repairs to fix the problem, I suggest you try this also.
    We had called GM and Chevrolet, and it was the biggest waste of time. They will not help if the car is over 120,000 miles, and if you did not purchase the extra warranty coverage when you bought the vehicle. Even if you get a claim/case number, it will do you no good. I suggest trying what we tried. 
    Good luck!!
  • jblcustomjblcustom Member Posts: 1
    2014, 80k miles, first time this has happened and first time I have heard about this issue.  This is my wife’s vehicle that hauls around our three children in (the family vehicle). I replaced the accelerator pedal sensor/assembly, engine light came back on and derated the engine power again.  P2138 check engine code is what keeps coming back on.  I took the throttle body off and cleaned it.  Did not help either.  Extremely frustrated.  I am going to have to take it in to the dealership now.  I turned the traction control off when I first start it before I put it in drive and it didn’t derate the engine power, but that doesn’t fix the problem.  Being an engineer myself i am very disappointing in how GM is handling these issues and not correcting the design!!!!  This is an extremely scary safety issue that needs resolved.  The vehicle can not just lose power at 70 mph on the interstate within seconds and GM think that is acceptable!!!!!  They are putting lives in danger!
    P2138 is a correlation issue between the APP sensors. (pedal assembly) The code sets when the two sensor voltages disagree by 10% or more for one second, OR when both sensors are greater than 5% of the learned minimum throttle position.

What do the freeze frame and failure records show the APP sensor voltages at when the code sets?
    How long does the car have to be driven to encounter the symptom? How likely is it to occur on any one trip?

If it is not likely to occur to just about every time the car is used, how much time goes by between events? Are there any other details about the failure that could assist a technician in getting the fault to occur? (temperature, weather, duration of trip)

• tuppertimmtuppertimm Member Posts: 1
    This issue just happened to my 2011 Traverse tonight on the interstate.  First, the traction control off message, followed by the service stabitrak system and reduced engine power.  Fortunately, I was able to get over to the shoulder before losing all power.  Has anyone successfully gotten their Traverse fixed?
  • chdzutah123chdzutah123 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, I wish that I had read this forum prior to buying my Traverse.
  • jtc0972jtc0972 Member Posts: 1
    Our 2010 Traverse has been riddled with issues. Every time we bring it into the Chevy Dealer, we get one problem fixed and another appears. They deny it is them. They say it "just happens". Our latest is at 125000 miles, the gauge lights brighten and dim, we get messages about low tire pressure, the radio turns off, we lose control of the ac/heater, we get random messages that come and go including stability control, airbag, etc. I am at the point I simply can't trust the dealer anymore and I feel lost trying to get anyone trustworthy to give us a true diagnosis. Someone recently suggested thst flashing the electronic control unit would fix the issue, but after replacing the battery, starter and alternator, I am leary to trust anyone. This will certainly be the last Chevy I buy. They just don't seem to be a quality manufacturer. If anyone can shed any helpful suggestions, I am all ears. Thanks.
  • destiny1220destiny1220 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 Chevy traverse also same problem here my lights is not flashing its steady but with all of these comment I read and thousands of people are complaining about the same thing gm need to take responsibility and fix this problem these vehicles r for family's with children I have 5 of my own gm is waiting for a family to be destroyed before they fix this problem I will be contacting my lawyers early in the morning I will not stop until something is done I am now afraid to drive my vehicle home n I just left new York city which I go every week or twice a week because I am a make up n hairstylist I'm pulled over in right now at a rest stop scared for my life gm live up to y'all responsibility n fix these problem I'm calling the news and anybody that want to get involved please keep me in y'all prayers as I continue my journey to Maryland where I just move thank you and if you guys have any useful advice please help me and my children thank you
  • destiny1220destiny1220 Member Posts: 2
    Smh! I have the same exact problem just started an hour ago but the light is steady but the words is flashing I have a 2010 Chevy traverse it is frightening to have read these life threatening comments I am scared for my live I am a mother of five children who just moved from NYC to Maryland I travel back and fourth because I am a make up artist and a hairstylist  I have pulled into a rest stop in jersey because I am afraid for my life I glad I don't have my children with me right now I just pray that I can make it home safe my children father is meeting me so he can ride back with me if I reach home safely I will be contacting my lawyers the news channel and everybody else that need to b involved with this life threatening problem that gm seems to be doing nothing about they vehicle is dangerous and from my understanding they are aware of this ongoing problem it is heart breaking that gm will take a risk of putting families life on the line for a dollar gm is making big money off millions of families buy selling a vehicle that knows can kill us these vehicles r dangerousdangerous.! Gm need to recall these vehicles and fix the problems. Gm need to take responsibility of they action before they destroy a family if they haven't already. my life will be in danger until I reach home I do not have or own another vehicle I was just about to purchase another one of these vehicles next month. That will not happen I am going to put all my free time into letting the world know about Gm I promise and if there's anyone who would like to help me file a suit against Gm please I beg u help my family and your family These large companies don't care if were driving an unsafe vehicle so we have to care cause our lives matter I will keep each one of u in my prayers and I will keep y'all posted on any updates my lawyers have for me please keep us in y'all prayers as we travel thank yall
  • rustytransrustytrans Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2018
    2015 Chevrolet Traverse, 160 k miles. Car came in for a trans rebuild. Saved the customer $3000, didn’t need a rebuild; electrical issue.

I feel I need to post a comment in my solution since I have got useful info from this site more than a few times. 
    I work at a high volume tranny shop, we do rebuilds for many independent shops and a few dealers and used car lots. Electrical problems are the worst! Everyone hates tracing and testing wires, switches, solenoids, grounds, etc. Luckily, these Chevys aren’t as bad as a lot of euros that have cheap cracking wires everywhere, ie bmw, mini, Audi etc. 

anyway, on to my solution: 
    car came from the dealer, they couldn’t figure it out, it had the traction control problem like everyone else and would barely move. The trans was fully tested and looked good, so we knew it had to be an electric gremlin or a computer. Fuse for the TCM blew on contact, sometimes would hold for a few mins at most, so the scanner would only show “no communication with tcm”. Started inspecting wires and grounds, 15 mins later, I found the TCM harness melted by the exhaust manifold due to a poor job at routing wires either by the factory or previous technician, one harness holder was broken and not holding the wires up. So I peeled away the loom and saw the harness fused together into one big mess inside the loom. Took it all apart, cleaned it up, put new insulators on and put on the loom, taped it up. Wallah! Fuse goes in without blowing, car drives very nice even with 160,000 miles. And the dealer wanted to charge $6500 for a transmission. 
    This was the solution to my problem, hopefully it helps someone out. I know a lot of these display the same symptoms but have very different problems
    Hi Rustytrans. When you get a chance look into the training classes that we do for technicians when it comes to electrical diagnostics.
    http://www.ctionline.com/index.php/catalog-internal.html
    http://www.ctionline.com/index.php/cti-instructor-led-class-schedule.html

One of the routines that we use for a fuse failing like that is to use jumper wires to attach a headlight in place of the fuse and then measure the current that is flowing in the circuit with a low amps current probe. By installing the headlight at the fuse location, it controls the current flowing in the circuit and the "short" simply becomes a switch that is turning the light on.Then all you need to do is access different parts of the circuit to see if you can see the current flowing or not. If you can then the failure is further downstream, if not then it is back towards the fuse. It does always help when you can find visual damage as you did this time, but having a routine ready to apply when there is nothing visual makes the job a lot easier.
  • randers64randers64 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Chevy Traverse. I just recently had the power loss and white smoke, which turned out to be the water pump. Replaced that and now all of a sudden I have the ABS light and the Stability track control lights come on. No loss of power or loss of steering control, but I am almost afraid to drive it. Unfortunately it is my only vehicle. Maybe time to trade it off. Mileage is 115000.
  • jmilheiserjmilheiser Member Posts: 3
    I have a2009 Traverse. We bought it used back in February. We have replaced the throttle body, plugs, even the alternator as the dealer said these were the issues each time we took it there.
    REDUCED ENGINE POWER, SERVICE STABILITYTRAC, SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL. We will be cruising down the road at 75mph and BAM, we are now limping along at 35MPH in traffic with semis. I understand that this is meant to not do more damage to the vehicles motor, however this is ABSURD that it is still an issue. I have read through so many online threads and I need to know,

Has anyone actually figured this out? I see some guys saying how it is not a real issue because it could be different issues with each vehicle, I beg to differ. there is an obvious pattern here.

Any thoughts? My wife loves the car, but I am sick of sticking money into something that is such a dangerous pile.

thanks

I have a2009 Traverse. We bought it used back in February. We have replaced the throttle body, plugs, even the alternator as the dealer said these were the issues each time we took it there.

Did you take it there for the same set of symptoms, or was there a difference each time in how the vehicle was behaving?

REDUCED ENGINE POWER, SERVICE STABILITYTRAC, SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL. We will be cruising down the road at 75mph and BAM, we are now limping along at 35MPH in traffic with semis. I understand that this is meant to not do more damage to the vehicles motor, however this is ABSURD that it is still an issue. I have read through so many online threads and I need to know,

Has anyone actually figured this out?

Yes, absolutely. Some of the vehicles that I repaired fell into one of the known pattern failures and some of them did not. Each had to be diagnosed by what was occurring with that particular vehicle.

I see some guys saying how it is not a real issue because it could be different issues with each vehicle, I beg to differ. there is an obvious pattern here.

It is a real issue, but there are more possible causes than you might understand. The first thing to recognize is if the PCM (engine control computer) detects a failure in any circuit or system that could result in the vehicle accelerating uncontrolably, or against the drivers intentions the result is the system goes into limp mode and either reduces the engine power, or simply shuts the engine down. That's a safety feature and for now one that isn't going to go away. It's pretty easy to imagine what might happen if the engineers didn't design the system that way. As terrible as the system taking power away or forcing the throttle closed might be, consider how you would feel if the opposite occurred and you had a runaway engine.

Any thoughts? My wife loves the car, but I am sick of sticking money into something that is such a dangerous pile thanks

You need a shop/technician that has the tools and training required to take your vehicle and prove exactly what it is happening that is causing the symptom that you are encountering. That is the only thing that needs to be addressed and what they may have found on every car previous to yours is meaningless until what is going on with yours is proven. That might not be what you want to hear, but that is the way that it really works when dealing with computer controls that are this advanced.

If you have the tools, skills and training I can lead you through diagnosing this issue. The first step is to pull codes from every module on the car, and the second step is to capture a data recording from the PCM just before, during and immeadiately after one of the failure events. I'll tell you what the next steps are if you can get that information and post it.

We have an appointment back at the Dealer on Thursday morning.
    The codes each time were for random misfire detected. this is after it slowed us way down.
    the last time this happened, it shut off the car at 35MPH these were the codes:
    C0561 C0242 P216A P126D P0300 P2101 P0606 P0014
    Also, your first question, each repair was after a separate trip to the dealer.
  • Nikki FreemanNikki Freeman Member Posts: 1
    I had a remote start installed and now I'm have these same problems with the traction control and stabiltrak. It keeps coming on as an error. I see I'm not the only one who experienced this.
  • normagarza27normagarza27 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2014 Chevy traverse. bought it with 0 miles off dealership. recently it has started to do that to me. shakes, reduces speed while driving and then turns off. It is so scary since we have 4 kids and a 4 month old with us at all times. I have started to avoid getting on the highway because i am afraid this will happen again. So far its done it 3-4 times, and i've had to control the steering wheel to get into a shoulder lane and turn it off and on about 4 times until it stops shaking and gives me the "traction control on' message. My vehicle has over 125k miles i don't think any warranty remains. please help any suggestions? i do not have the means to get a new car right now.
    You might visit this website

http://www.iatn.net/

and click on "repair shops" to see if there is one in your area. These technicians are among the very best trained and should be able to repair this problem for you.

The problem, of course, is that the issue is intermittent, and very often diagnostic equipment needs to be in place while the incident is happening. Most dealerships or repair shops are not going to pay a mechanic to drive around all day, or for many days, with their scanners hooked up to the car--but sometimes, that's exactly what it takes to nail the problem.

Sometimes the car has to fail completely for the problem to be positively identified. But an initial scan and diagnosis by a well-trained mechanic might turn up some likely suspects and might even identify the problem right off the bat.

• Mmath0809Mmath0809 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2013 traverse awd I’m having the issue with the traction control light and engine light coming on.  Loss of power when they do.  I’m beginning to feel unsafe hauling my kids around. I have around 80000 miles on it.  I’ve had it since 2014 with only minor issues since purchasing.  I’m getting close to my extended warranty expiring and want to get this fixed.  Chevy dealership can’t duplicate the issue and blames it on a misfire.  They said random things can cause it to misfire.  This isn’t safe and could cause an accident.  Why hasn’t this been recalled.

It's complicated. "Traction Control" isn't a "thing"--it's a system--a network of things, any one of which can cause the problem.

If it's a "misfire" than the dealership should be able to track that down, even "random misfire". A car is a closed universe--it's not as if "random" means "infinite".

The the problem is that it might indeed require that the dealer techs drive the car around for a while, and of course the dealership is not going to pay the techs to do that, and the techs certainly don't want to do it for free.
  • jeh3404jeh3404 Member Posts: 1
    Same thing happening to my 2012 Traverse.
    The first time I was in a restaurant drive thru but sitting idle. Then several warnings flashed on my dash about traction control and stabilitrak and limp mode and it started to stink. We towed it to our mechanic and he could not tell what code was initiating the issue so he cleared the codes and it ran fine after that. After a couple additional trips to the mechanic, we did have a couple issues seemingly related and he ended up replacing a coil and all the spark plugs.
    Now, a few months later, my wife was driving up the road to our house and just before turning into our driveway, the same error messages came up on the dash. She turned off the car and called me. When I got home I started the car and got the same results. We had the car towed to our mechanic again. This time when the tow truck arrived, the car did not start. After it arrived at our mechanic, he could not start it, and he could only read one code and it said nondefining code and he could not determine what the problem is. He then cleared the code and it is running fine again.
    I am VERY concerned this is going to happen on the highway with my wife driving and she will be seriously hurt. I am shockingly surprised at so many other similar incidents and NOTHING is being done by Chevrolet. I will most likely trade mine for a NON-Chevy product and I will N OT EVER by another Chevy. :disappointed::angry::worried:
  • Chev10Chev10 Member Posts: 2
    Dangerous Issue with Chevy Traverse
    The check engine light has been on for two years in my Traverse and my local mechanic doesn't know why. for about the same amount of time, when filling the tank we have to turn all electronics off and then after the fill we have to pump the gas pedal and coax it into starting. Again, local mechanic doesn't know what to do that won't cost a fortune, so advised to continue driving if what we do works. For the last month or so the stabilitrak warning light has come on periodically and then the reduced engine power light also comes on. This happens when it is really cold. At first nothing else happened, but the last three times we did lose power. I went down to 40mph while driving on the interstate and then at 21 below last night we couldn't go over 10-15 mph. After turning the car off for a while it normally re-sets which it did last night and we finally made it home. I am taking the advice of a previous forum member and will call chevy tomorrow for a file number and then GM to complain. I also need to get from them the name of an auto repair shop in our small area that can get to the bottom of these issues directly without trying numerous things first that will cost me an arm and a leg.
    Yes, it does sound like your mechanic is in over his head here.

Try this website, and click on "repair shops" to see if there is one in your area. The people on this website are among the best-trained in the country.

http://www.iatn.net/

Good luck with solving this!
  • LuuminatorLuuminator Member Posts: 1
    Today on my way home from dropping my wife off at work in sub zero temperatures in Michigan, my 2013 Traverse made 3 beeps and said the traction control system is off. I did not lose any power to the engine, or anything else. I connected to onstar to get the code and they stated it was the stabilitaks/traction control code.
    Once you have the code read (a number) that might tip you off as to the general area of the problem. As we've noted before, there is no one "Stabilitrak" thing existing in the car. It is a network of sensors and modules, so any number of components can generate these types of codes.
  • dcmommacdcmommac Member Posts: 2
    In the last day have read through most of these posts. Thank you. We own a 2015 Chevrolet Traverse, NOT an AWD, and it is a LT.
    Bought this car after extensive research and NEVER came across this issue.
    A little more than a week ago my daughter (new driver) was driving and directly after remote starting the car and getting in, (we live in WI and it is -1 degree here), the car started displaying the Service Stabilitrak, Traction Control Off, Engine Power is Reduced Message. It also showed the parking assist off message, which is odd as I do not believe this version of the Traverse comes with parking assist. The check engine light went on. We did not experience a reduction in power on our way home. Left the car in the garage overnight. Next morning the codes and check engine light were gone until this past Saturday- 1-19-19- (exactly a week from first incidence). Left the car until today and called my local mechanic. Have owned the car less than 2 years and now has 68K miles on it. It was a CPO Chevrolet purchase. "Luckily" the car started displaying all the same codes as I drove to my local mechanic - Service Stabilitrak, Traction Control Off, Service Traction Control, Engine Power is Reduced and a new one - Speed Limited to 25 mph. The idiot lights for the engine the car skidding came on and stayed on. Did not turn car off as I arrived at my mechanic with a top speed of 22 mph. Asked them politely if they could run a diagnostic for codes which they did (very nice of them!) and came up with something with the accelerator and communication with the car. Hoping for the best but am very concerned as at least one other post indicated that they had this issue, but it did not resolve the problem.

I will repost once I get the car back. This severely impacts our life, like many others. Just thought I would add to this thread as it seems these issues started on cars in 2007, which would be 12 years worth of issues...granted 2019 is just under way....no joy in Mudville here.
    Might be related to the throttle positioning sensor (a likely cause) or the accelerator position sensor (another famous culprit). But the mechanic will have to test these things to zero in on it.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I kind of think the engine, electronics, etc - GM maybe overly complicated it all compared to competitors. It provided a nice vehicle, but maybe one that isn't so good for long term ownership?
  • dcmommacdcmommac Member Posts: 2
    RE: Mr_Shiftright's comment on 1-21-19: Might be related to the throttle positioning sensor (a likely cause) or the accelerator position sensor (another famous culprit). But the mechanic will have to test these things to zero in on it.

Received our car back today (see 1-21-19) and turned out that the accelerator pedal assembly and electrical connector needed replacing. Drove home on the expressway and have to say that the car seemed smoother than it has in awhile. (Maybe that is wishful thinking!?)
    If I am reading my paperwork correctly, I believe the actual error was CEL, reduced power P2138 accelerator pedal position issue.

Glad we did the repair because we are expecting up to 8" of snow starting in the next hour.

Will post again if needed, really hoping not.

p.s. I will add this, I believe this same contributor above recommended a site that then listed garages that could handle a fix like this, although we did not go to one of those, I will say that a garage we used for years was listed and that we were always impressed with that garage. We moved on, life, etc. and thus why we do not go there anymore, but would go back if I did not like my current local mechanic so much. Thanks for the replies and recommendations.

Hope any/all of the above can help someone else.
  • tiredasamothertiredasamother Member Posts: 1
    Everyone that's had this problem please please please file a complaint with NHTSA. This is happening far to often for far to long. We are all lucky to be alive. The throttle body should have been recalled YEARS ago. You can file a complaint at www.safecar.gov if they see lots of reports they will investigate and get a recall!
  • kirkK24kirkK24 Member Posts: 1

Today on my way home from dropping my wife off at work in sub zero temperatures in Michigan, my 2013 Traverse made 3 beeps and said the traction control system is off. I did not lose any power to the engine, or anything else. I connected to onstar to get the code and they stated it was the stabilitaks/traction control code.

Did you ever figure this out? I have a 2012 Traverse and am getting the same symptoms! Don't want to take to dealer and waste money.
  • MaureenKMaureenK Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed that a few people mentioned having this problem pop up after using their remote start. I have a 2011 Traverse and have had no issues with it until I used the remote start this weekend (never used it before).  Now I have all the same StabilTrak/Reduced Power issues everyone is complaining about. Could there be a link?
    Was this a factory installation or aftermarket?
  • CountryBeaCountryBea Member Posts: 1
    My 2012 Traverse is experiencing the same problem. It has 59,337 miles and it has now happened three times. The first time, the engine shut down completely and car would not restart for several hours. Once it did, everything was fine for several weeks. Next time it happened, we accelerated on an on-ramp when the Stabilitrak light came on, engine light flashed and the car shuddered before recovering. Again, nothing for several weeks until today while stopped at a red light. Stabilitrak light came on, engine powered down and engine light flashed for several seconds. Light changed, car accelerated slowly and within a couple of minutes recovered completely. Not sure what to make of it. Have not taken it to dealer yet, warranty is out and I am a widow with breast cancer and unable to afford much in way of repairs but will have to find a way I guess.
  • BraceyBracey Member Posts: 1
    Hello, .I have a 2017 Chevy Traverse and currently  am experiencing the same issues of stable traction problems.  Going in for service next week.  Anyone having this problem with newer year Traverses.  Thank you 
  • Michelle78Michelle78 Member Posts: 1
    I have been searching and found this forum. I have been experiencing problems with my 2014 Chevy Traverse. However, on yesterday the vehicle stopped while driving going 65 mph on the interstate really scared me. It also frustrated The hell out of me having to pay 120.00 out of pocket to have it towed.  The traction stability then the vehicle loses power has been a problem. However when I have the vehicle checked nothing can be found.  It's really frustrating paying for a vehicle that randomly shuts off and won't start for a couple of days and then it will start and drive like nothing ever happened. Could someone please help and guide me in the right direction to get this problem fixed