Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,032
    stickguy said:

the front end of that E class reminds me of a Buick.

The grille assembly reminds me of current Cadillacs, with the rectangular sensor box (I presume) in the center reminiscent of where the badge would be on a Caddy. Of course the headlight treatments are totally different so overall it doesn't have a huge resemblance.

Lots of room in the wagon for all your hockey gear, Fin!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    kyfdx said:

Funny... I bought my son a vehicle that had the ABS and stability control disabled, along with airbag removal. I guess I'm a bad Dad. ;)

My son drove a 1975 2002 with NO nannies- deactivated or otherwise. He did attend three days of training- two at the BMW Performance Center and one day at Street Survival.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    Heck, I didn’t even have shoulder belts in my first 2 vehicles. And didn’t have ABS until I was 25. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,358
    edited March 2019
    qbrozen said:

Heck, I didn’t even have shoulder belts in my first 2 vehicles. And didn’t have ABS until I was 25. ;)

Pretty much the same boat...

1st car 66 Mustang. Lap belts only. 4 drum brakes will teach you a few things too, especially in the rain

2nd 89 Chevy Beretta. Shoulder belts of course but no airbag or ABS

3rd 95 Tacoma 4x4. Drivers airbag and I think ABS but only on the rear

It was my 99 Explorer before I had 2 airbags and 4 wheel ABS. I think I was 27 or 28 when I got that.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

ab348 said:

stickguy said:

the front end of that E class reminds me of a Buick.

The grille assembly reminds me of current Cadillacs, with the rectangular sensor box (I presume) in the center reminiscent of where the badge would be on a Caddy. Of course the headlight treatments are totally different so overall it doesn't have a huge resemblance.

There’s something very stately about an E wagon. Not sure I could ever bring myself to DD one. An E63 wagon on the other hand...

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,225
    My 1963 Corvette split window coupe is officially a beater. No nannies, no disc brakes, no power steering or power brakes.  Manual transmission. 

I am now wondering why I smile when I drive it. 
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    First car, 89 Grand Marquis had no airbags and no ABS. My next car a 93 Taurus LX 3.8 (yeah, it sucked) had dual bags and ABS and aside from my 89 Town Car and 79 Continental everything since has had ABS.

I think at this point I'd really need to be careful in a non-ABS vehicle. Like mentioned above I've become conditioned to "Stomp and Steer".

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,440
    Ah. Drum brakes. I remember one day with my duster, coming out of a parking lot there was a dip, and after a rain storm was full of water. Hit that, big splash, then right after was a stop sign at the exit onto a busy road. Blew right through that without a hint of slowing. Oops. Became a big fan of disk brakes that day.

Now, I like info helpers, like BLIS. Not a fan of active lane keep stuff, that’s annoying. Auto emergency brakes, good in theory, but I still don’t trust it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,225
    edited March 2019
    Drum brakes are interesting. You never know which tire will lock up. But it is what it is. I just have much more situational awareness when I drive it. It is an absolute blast though. 
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    That happened to me in the fintail a few years ago, when cruising down 405 at ~60, a road work truck blindly pulled out from the shoulder in front of me, and I went for the brakes. It was not the straightest slowdown - but I kept it in line. Not a fun experience where in a modern car it would have had little drama.
    tjc78 said:

I think at this point I'd really need to be careful in a non-ABS vehicle. Like mentioned above I've become conditioned to "Stomp and Steer".

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    The "luxury" trim shnoz is a little unique, but I like a traditional grille and hood ornament. I suspect cars with such trim are under 10% of E volume.

That one is even better with brown interior, drivers assist, and optional 19" 10 spoke wheels I've never seen in person before. Rare bird, and it would be good for hauling things. Unfortunately, big MSRP and they lease poorly.
    ab348 said:

stickguy said:

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

kyfdx said:

Funny... I bought my son a vehicle that had the ABS and stability control disabled, along with airbag removal. I guess I'm a bad Dad. ;)

My son drove a 1975 2002 with NO nannies- deactivated or otherwise. He did attend three days of training- two at the BMW Performance Center and one day at Street Survival.
    With all those active safety features, you aren't "driving"--you will never learn some basic control skills. Every jet airliner pilot or fighter pilot learned to fly no doubt, on a little Cessna.
    Not today. They learn on video games and simulators.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    mjfloyd1 said:

My 1963 Corvette split window coupe is officially a beater. No nannies, no disc brakes, no power steering or power brakes.  Manual transmission. 

I am now wondering why I smile when I drive it. 

That sucks. You should just give it to me.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,032
    My '68 Cutlass has drum brakes which are sort of OK around town but scary if you need to use them hurriedly at highway speeds. I remember when I first bought the car, the power assist was really touchy, feeling like it could put you through the windshield if you stomped on it. A couple of years into ownership the master cylinder leaked on a steep downhill (what fun) and after it was replaced, the brakes weren't so touchy. I have all I need (I think) to replace the front drums with discs, down in storage. I will never do it myself now so I might have to persuade someone to do it for me for compensation.

Being an early production '68 model (built Sept/67) it also does not have shoulder belt, just lap belts. Apparently GM Canada held off until production ended in calendar 1967.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea in here, but my accountant has a 2010 Lexus RX 350 AWD. Put into service in 2009, so effectively a 10 year old car (I think he bough it in 2011 as a CPO unit). He doesn't drive very much. There are less than 50K miles on it. I'm impressed with how solid, quiet, & well built it is. Even the "OH NO" handles have soft closing hinges.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,146

kyfdx said:

With all those active safety features, you aren't "driving"--you will never learn some basic control skills. Every jet airliner pilot or fighter pilot learned to fly no doubt, on a little Cessna.
    When we go to Colorado Springs in the summer, we see the cadets at the Air Force Academy actually start with a glider, then upgrade to a small prop plane.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    nyccarguy said:

I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea in here, but my accountant has a 2010 Lexus RX 350 AWD. Put into service in 2009, so effectively a 10 year old car (I think he bough it in 2011 as a CPO unit). He doesn't drive very much. There are less than 50K miles on it. I'm impressed with how solid, quiet, & well built it is. Even the "OH NO" handles have soft closing hinges.

The RX is a nice SUV, no doubt. Drives very similar to our Enclave quiet and isolated.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

When we go to Colorado Springs in the summer, we see the cadets at the Air Force Academy actually start with a glider, then upgrade to a small prop plane.
    You could ride small waves and be a safer surfer.
    Funny sighting running an errand at lunch. I approached a light and saw that there was a nice looking, blue E36 already stopped. Got a little closer and lo and behold its an IS couple. End up next to it, ready to give the driver a nod or thumbs up as this thing was really pretty and I’m shocked. The driver is a little old Snow White haired lady easily in her 70’s with her hands perfectly at 10 and 2. She never glanced my way and I chucked to myself for thinking it would have been driven by some guy like me or younger. She took off smooth as silk too, Were’nt all of the IS models sticks?

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    au1994 said:

Funny sighting running an errand at lunch. I approached a light and saw that there was a nice looking, blue E36 already stopped. Got a little closer and lo and behold its an IS couple. End up next to it, ready to give the driver a nod or thumbs up as this thing was really pretty and I’m shocked. The driver is a little old Snow White haired lady easily in her 70’s with her hands perfectly at 10 and 2. She never glanced my way and I chucked to myself for thinking it would have been driven by some guy like me or younger. She took off smooth as silk too, Were’nt all of the IS models sticks?

I think you could get an auto in an E36 325iS coupe. But, not sure. I wasn't following along that closely, once the E36 came around.

I mean, you could get an automatic in an M3 Coupe.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    kyfdx said:

Funny... we just replaced our Goodyear runflats with Pirelli.

Not ALL Pirelli tires have to be garbage just because some are... just like all the other brands out there! Man, those Potenza RE-92As they used to put on Subaru were so terrible, yet there are plenty of good Bridgestone tires out there.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    fushigi said:

My feelings there are a bit different (which probably makes no sense) - when someone is learning to drive, they need to learn how a car feels without a bunch of systems interfering or doing the work for them. I'd probably turn a lot of them off initially if the car had it for a new driver and then enable them later.

You'd be doing a huge disservice to the new driver.

Car tech advances and becomes the norm quickly. A new driver today, unless they're very cash-strapped and can only afford 15+ year old beaters, absolutely will have more and more of the safety systems. Much better for them to learn to drive while knowing how those systems work and how they change the driving dynamic than to encounter them and have to adjust on the fly, potentially in an emergency situation.

The easy example is ABS. Non-ABS has lockup, lots of noise, and generally a major loss of steering capability. With ABS the stopping distances are indeed a little longer but we're explicitly taught to "stomp and steer" and expect the pulsing/shudder from the system as it works (as designed). A driver who has to make an emergency maneuver to avoid a collision does very different things with v. w/out ABS.
    I hope to do my children an incredible disservice in this regard. In doing so, may they be the most competent drivers of their generation... a generation otherwise without drivers at all.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
     Nice on the E 35 siding above, 
     West, agree with the above but you wrote. Type your comment
     Agree with the others above, I can’t drive but just sitting in the passenger seat of the Thunderbird, makes me smile, and over drives it loves it. They say we could drive in this thing all day. 
     So we dropped off my mom‘s road yesterday for service. That’ll do some recall with the emergency braking system, and they replaced the sensor in the front that controls it. Also there was a check engine light that kept coming back on. So it was some sensor in the guest think they have to change, but the guy just called me before, he said the sensor was part of the whole fuel pump assembly so we had to change it all. I said I kind of figured that, I’m not surprised at all. Hopefully now she should be good to go, all they had to  and they have to replace the seal at the bottom of the steering column, because there was some vibration when you turn the wheel in either direction my mom had said. Obviously I couldn’t experience that unfortunately ha ha Ha. So going to pick it up tomorrow. They give us a loaner rogue exactly the same just silver, was hoping to give us something else. Oh well Type your comment
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    xwesx said:

I hope to do my children an incredible disservice in this regard. In doing so, may they be the most competent drivers of their generation... a generation otherwise without drivers at all.

My mom bought a used 1950 Chevy in 1953 to learn how to drive and pass the driver's exam. She learned well and got her license and a new car. But for next 24 years and 4 children my parents kept that car and used it to teach us kids how to drive.

First. You have to really want to learn to drive when you get behind the wheel of a 1950 Chevy. 3-speed on the column, pull out choke, key ignition, starter button (those have made a comeback now) and no turn signals. Except for hand signals. And the vacuum wipers.

My sister could never figure out the manual trans so mom gave up on her and let her drive "newer" old Corvair! (At least it had an automatic. Little T-handle on the dash.) When my sister passed her driver's exam with that my mom gave her the Corvair and my sister drove it until 1974.

My brothers and I learned to drive on that '50 Chevy and none of us wanted it when mom and dad offered it to us! I was the last one to use that old beast as a daily driver until I bought my own car in '76.

One of the last times I drove it was to a Stop-N-Go convenience store and one of the older clerks (She must have been at least a 40 year old dinosaur!) pointed out the window and said, "Old Chevys never die." I laughed and said "That's my ride!"

Another time and place compared to now but some things never change. I'm reminded of the story of Neil Armstrong taking manual control of the Eagle to land safely on the moon with just 30 seconds of fuel remaining. And both he and Buzz had to train for that possibility.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Current issue or R&T includes a test of the 2019 GTI w/DSG.
    Quarter mile in 14.5 @ 99.7.
    Hmmmmm...
    - Ray
    Wonder if that will be quick enough for my golden years?
    2022 X3 M40i
    au1994 said:
    All E36 coupes were designated “is.” Automatics we’re available in every flavor- 318is, 323is, 325is, and 328is as well as the M3. 

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    Watched last week's Top Gear The Grand Tour. Was very surprised the side airbags on the ZR-1 didn't spontaneously deploy as Clarkson was spinning it around the track. Apparently that is a common problem on late-model GM vehicles (Canyon/Colorado, Camaro, etc.). Had it happened, I'm sure they would have had a field day documenting it and the inevitable GM fumbling to find a replacement car for filming.
    this is not a bad looking JMonroe mobile. Not my preferred color combo, but loaded. Miles a touch high, but price is pretty good for posing.

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2009-hyundai-genesis-used-18678474.html

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    edited March 2019
    Had to drive to PA and back yesterday for work. Had the cruise set to 79 most of the time, and off-highway was maybe 10% of the time. OBC had me at 31.5 mpg by the time I got home (and it has been pretty accurate so far, so real-world should be at least 31). That amazes me. My 2nd most efficient car ever, yet in the top 6 or so for quickness, plus it has AWD. Manufacturers have certainly come a long way in recent years in terms of fuel efficiency.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    qbrozen said:

Had to drive to PA and back yesterday for work. Had the cruise set to 79 most of the time, and off-highway was maybe 10% of the time. OBC had me at 31.5 mpg by the time I got home (and it has been pretty accurate so far, so real-world should be at least 31). That amazes me. My 2nd most efficient car ever, yet in the top 6 or so for quickness, plus it has AWD. Manufacturers have certainly come a long way in recent years in terms of fuel efficiency.

It is impressive what they do with turbo 4s and 8 speed transmissions.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Agree. With the above! Guys. All cool stuff thay. Are. Doing! Now! Happy friday. All.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    rayainsw said:

Current issue or R&T includes a test of the 2019 GTI w/DSG.
    Quarter mile in 14.5 @ 99.7.
    Hmmmmm...
    - Ray
    Wonder if that will be quick enough for my golden years?

I'm having a bit of GTI fever, which seems to come about for me every couple years or so. :)

At this point, I'm anxious to see the next gen (I believe for 2020?). I think it'd probably be quick enough for you - but it may be more of a matter of whether you are good with the FWD dynamic.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Happy Friday to you as well @marcogallo1986

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    I am familiar with that fever, @breld
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    omarman said:

xwesx said:

My mom bought a used 1950 Chevy in 1953 to learn how to drive and pass the driver's exam. She learned well and got her license and a new car. But for next 24 years and 4 children my parents kept that car and used it to teach us kids how to drive.

First. You have to really want to learn to drive when you get behind the wheel of a 1950 Chevy. 3-speed on the column, pull out choke, key ignition, starter button (those have made a comeback now) and no turn signals. Except for hand signals. And the vacuum wipers.

My sister could never figure out the manual trans so mom gave up on her and let her drive "newer" old Corvair! (At least it had an automatic. Little T-handle on the dash.) When my sister passed her driver's exam with that my mom gave her the Corvair and my sister drove it until 1974.

My brothers and I learned to drive on that '50 Chevy and none of us wanted it when mom and dad offered it to us! I was the last one to use that old beast as a daily driver until I bought my own car in '76.

One of the last times I drove it was to a Stop-N-Go convenience store and one of the older clerks (She must have been at least a 40 year old dinosaur!) pointed out the window and said, "Old Chevys never die." I laughed and said "That's my ride!"

Another time and place compared to now but some things never change. I'm reminded of the story of Neil Armstrong taking manual control of the Eagle to land safely on the moon with just 30 seconds of fuel remaining. And both he and Buzz had to train for that possibility.
    I learned to drive in a 55 Plymouth and a 1951 Chevrolet pickup. The Plymouth was automatic, the Chevy pickup was a standard transmission with a floor shift. To start it, you mashed the accelerator to the floor, and that engaged a big button underneath the accelerator which worked the starter.

The first car I "owned" was a 1949 Chevrolet, much like the 1950 you describe above. I put "owned" in quotes, as I never had a title for it. A friend of my father's gave it to him in payment for a $35 debt. My father and I dropped the pan and shimmed the bearings with aluminum foil to get the oil pressure up, and I drove it for 2 years until I turned 16 and got my driver's license.

About half way through that 2 year span, the starter gave out. Some previous owner had converted the car from a 6 volt system to a 12 volt system, but did not replace the starter which eventually burned out. For several months, I drove the car with no starter. At home, I parked it on a hill. At school, my friends would give me a push start (by hand, didn't take much). After a few months, I saved up $5 and bought a used starter at the junk yard. My friends were appreciative. :)

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    Thank you Breld 
     Wow interesting story about, Type your comment
    edited March 2019
    omarman said:

Touche! So true, too. And, while none of you may have enjoyed driving that beast, You can basically get behind the wheel of anything and move it with competence.

@henryn I love stories like that! Reminds me of some of the crazy stuff we did in our youth as well. I think that my craziest driving moment may have come when I drove my Econoline home one dark blustery winter night, temperature at 5F, snowing, and without a windshield. I am not sure I have ever been as cold as that in my life.

A close second on crazy may have been when I had the front quarter of the van cut off, but I felt I just had to use it, so I built a rickety wooden scaffold to hold the battery so I could drive it across town to load up some furniture to haul home. I'm not sure that driving it 1,200 miles to Alaska without brakes counts. Or maybe it does. :D
    Nice on the small road trip with the C30 today
    edited March 2019
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    On the upshot, you could carry your C30 with you in the hatch of that thing. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    699,989 miles? Really?

That would have to be a typo, no one had odometers that went over 100k back in those days.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    I'm sure it's a typo. Nice old thing. Photos suggest an old or rather slapdash restoration. I don't think it is worth anywhere near the asking price. This would be a great resto-mod, though, wouldn't it. Put in some power, brakes and suspension and hit the road. The perfect tank to challenge the SUVs out there. If you had an accident, you wouldn't even know about it unless someone sent you an e-mail.
    I know I'd end up regretting buying it, but I really do like this Italian siren.