Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Impala "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" message

191011121315»

Comments

• c42493c42493 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2017 Chevrolet Malibu LT 1.5L I-4 experiencing the "Reduced Engine Power" at around twenty-five thousand miles. I heard that newer cars such as this one produce more carbon buildup, and the brand of gas you use could greatly reduce the carbon buildup. Anyways, I had always used the gas from Rebel, or Arco because it was cheaper, and then switched to strictly Shell or Chevron gas, even just regular 87 octane, and it completely stopped, until my grandma used the Arco gas not knowing. I drove out that tank of gas, and filled it up with Shell gas and again I was good. I'd at least give it a shot, although I know it sounds kinda crazy, but if it worked for me it could work for you. Good luck.
  • c42493c42493 Member Posts: 2
    Use only gas from Shell or Chevron.

Do Not Use ARCO gas and definitely not gas from 7-11, Sam's Club or Costco.
  • Rros7Rros7 Member Posts: 1
    Exact same issue with my 08 Impala.  My car also had power cut including power steering when going 60-70 down the highway.  Cost is $410 for my Goodyear to repair.  Guess it will take someone killing themselves or someone else before GM owns up to this problem.  Not buying another GM vehicle again.
  • cfdrivercfdriver Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I drive a 2012 Chevy Impala with 84,000 miles. My drive time is usually uneventful. However, while on a trip last week, the check engine light came on with service stabilitrak, traction control, and engine power reduced messages. I could feel the car was not running with full power, but I was able to keep up the current speed. When I got to the next town I pulled over and dug out my manual. After a few minutes I started the car up, the messages were gone so I took off. That lasted a few minutes and they were back on. Still able to drive I crossed my fingers and made it the last 45 minutes to my destination.
    I've done lots of troubleshooting on-line and found some real horror stories of cars just quitting while on the road. I also read lots of different ideas about what caused this to happen and how people fixed their cars. I have talked with a couple of my mechanic friends and I now have a throttle body ordered.
    What I am wondering is this: How many of you that chose to keep your cars have had this reoccur again? And did anyone else who fixed it another way have it reoccur for them? I really like my car and it fits my needs well, but I am not interested in putting myself or anyone else in danger because of this issue. I hate car shopping, but I will do it if I need to. Thanks for any input you care to share.
  • ChinaChina Member Posts: 1
    Yes I have an 2009 chevy impala police and I had damaged my catalytic converter but its still been running but I started having an oil leak from somewhere on the passenger side. Everytime my oil get low the check engine light comes on. I add oil and in a day it goes back off til it runs low again. My check oil light never comes on. I needed an oil change so I got it done and they told me irt was possiblty fixed. Everything was fine for like 2 weeks. Now Im having more oil leaks and my car keep reading off an on engine power reduced and stsrt stalling. Sometime if I cut the car off and wait it will stop and now its ongoing and yesterday my car cut off. I started it back up and it kept bouncing back in forth engine power reduced and low oil pressure shut engine off. I checked oil and its empty and I had put some oil in prior to this happening. I was able to putt myself to the side of road. Can anyone give me any answers on where to begin?
  • TrondelloTrondello Member Posts: 1
    My wife has this same issue. Can it be resolved with an aftermarket peddle? I am thinking to take it to a local repair guy. It usually happens once a day and now its every 5 mins, she shuts her car off then starts it and its fine for the remainder of her ride to work 45 minutes. Today, she could not get 3 miles it happened 5 times.
  • ccthebartenderccthebartender Member Posts: 1
    bowana said:

I see that various people are having problems with the power reduction and issues regarding the Traction Control. I reported on this condition last October and indicated that replacing the gas pedal cleared the problem. I have not had any issues since the pedal was replaced and the only thing I would ask is that perhaps used pedals from a wrecker may cure the problem cheaper than taking it to a dealer or other repair shop. There is a cure so just follow up and look to the gas pedal. GM is not the only company with this type of problem. Just search under Google and you will see it effects almost every make and model with gas pedals that DO NOT HAVE cable or anything else connected to the throttle but work by sending information to the computers.
    Good Luck everyone!

I have a 2014 Impala and we changed the throttle body and still have the same issue... Changing pedal accelerator today and will let you know how that go
  • MsErv68MsErv68 Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 2009 Chevy Impala I see a lot of people have a problem with this car have anybody ever solve the problem reduced engine power light on and the engine is hot AC is off is on I change the compressor the alternator the starter oil change filter change throttle body gas pedal I still having the same problem did anybody get any help with this
  • MarkMGMarkMG Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2006 Impala with a 3.9 V. The motor and transmission was replaced on this vehicle. We are getting a Reduced Power Message. The code that come up is for the Throttle Body. The throttle body was replaced with numerous ones, all new. The throttle body is not the issue. The gas pedal was replaced. The computer was replaced. And the wires from the throttle body to the computer were checked. What else in in that loop I do not know.
    When you turn the key, you get the Reduced Power before the car even starts. The car runs very rough. We deem to be getting spark at all the plugs, but only plugs affect the idle of the car when the wires are removed. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • Doughboy79Doughboy79 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Markmg . I had exact same problem . It was the throttle body for me personally. I did not replace mine though , just cleaned it real good and I have not had an issue since and that was about 2 years ago . Let me know if this helps
  • Ms_hanna2019Ms_hanna2019 Member Posts: 1
    Same issue with my 2011 impala we just stalled out on a busy highway in Missouri going 60 mph our car just shut off. We barely made it to the shoulder. We actually had to pass over into the oncoming traffic lane to pull over because we were on the left side of a double lane with no way to get over. And there happened to be a gap thankfully or it could have been bad!
  • Kelsie31Kelsie31 Member Posts: 1

OMGGGGG HAVING THE EXACT SAME ISSIE AMD IT ONLY HAPPENS WHEN ITS HOT. NOT 1 TIME DURING THE WINTER DID IT HAPPEN. 1ST THEY SAID IT WAS THE THROTTLE SENSOR, REPLACED IT N IT STILL DID IT. THEN IT WAS THE TRHOTTLE BODY, REPLACED IT AMD ITS STILL DOING IT IM GETTING SO FRUSTRATED AT THIS POINT IM A SINGLE MOM I CANT KEEP THROWING MONEY AT THIS CAR HOPING IT FIXES IT. IMA TRY THIS, IF IT DOESNT WORK IM DONE WITH THIS CAR. THANKS SO MUCH