Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz Owners Club - Meet the Members

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited March 2019 in Mercedes-Benz
Hello Mercedes-Benz owners! Welcome to the Edmunds forums.
Whether you're a first time Mercedes-Benz owner or having been driving them for years, take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your vehicle.

Comments

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited March 2019
    2014 MB 250 BT, bone stock, w/app 78,000 miles. So far it’s been great & loving it, for a CUV, compact. OEM “run flat” tires changed @ app 76,000 miles w app 3/32nd in of tread left.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Ah, a man after my own heart. Cars are for DRIVING not sitting around to be looked at!
    edited March 2019
    Indeed! But a debateable point: ANY car, PU truck, van, CUV can go to 100,000-150,000 miles before the first so called “major tune up”.
    I've kept most of my vehicles to 200K+
    edited March 2019
    So in the Mercedes engineering point of view, it seems to be engineered for bulletproofness (reliability & durability) to approximately the sixth year. Given the American drivers year average of 11,000 to 14,000 miles per year, that’s app 66,000 miles to 84,000 miles. I personally try to look for more in the reliability, durability department. This is one reason why I chose this particular CUV.
  • JustinSJustinS Administrator Posts: 58
    What is everyone's favorite 2019 (or 2020) Mercedes-Benz model?
    Edmunds Customer Care
    ruking1 said:

So in the Mercedes engineering point of view, it seems to be engineered for bulletproofness (reliability & durability) to approximately the sixth year. Given the American drivers year average of 11,000 to 14,000 miles per year, that’s app 66,000 miles to 84,000 miles. I personally try to look for more in the reliability, durability department. This is one reason why I chose this particular CUV.

I'm a big believer in preventative maintenance to help keep my cars "bulletproof" :)

I like 'em when they LAST as well
    JustinS said:

What is everyone's favorite 2019 (or 2020) Mercedes-Benz model?

We're actually going to be getting a new vehicle here soon. MB likely isn't on our radar, but I DO run ideas by my wife to see how she might react to different choices. WAY out of our budget, but I asked her what she thought of this

From how short and quick the "no" was, I'm taking that as a definite opinion :)
  • JustinSJustinS Administrator Posts: 58
    Ah, but the new G class is so nice.
    Edmunds Customer Care
    edited March 2019
    While I would probably not get one of these, it has a strange appeal. It might be the twin turbo V8?😝😎 This one screams a 965 miles/1,930 miles road trip & co pilot, just to get used to it.👍😱
    https://www.mboffremont.com/inventory/new-2019-mercedes-benz-amg®-gt-amg®-gt-r-rear-wheel-drive-2dr-car-wddyj7ka2ka024057
    I too, am attracted to "strange appeal". I saw one of those at the MB hospitality tent at the 2016 PGA at Baltusrol. It had that matte finish, which was also interesting. The silver matte appealed to me more than the white
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    I’ve owned or leased over 20 Mercedes-Benz sedans in the last 35 years, most of them since 1991.  I owned a 1987 420SEL and 15+ E Class Sedans.  My current vehicle is a 2018 S450 Sedan which I am leasing.  By far, my favorite brand of vehicle.

2021 Genesis G90

Over 20... that counts :)

Is there one you wished you could have again, brand new?
    edited March 2019
    That 1987 420 SEL would be the one I would love to have again - new.  But my favorite of all Mercedes vehicles is the one I am driving now - 2018 S450 - unbelievable car!

2021 Genesis G90

Certainly cars are better now, but I do miss being able to work on everything on a car without the need of computer diagnostic equipment. Dad used to take a long screwdriver, put it on the engine and against his ear to "listen" to what was going on inside the engine :)
    edited March 2019
    With all the attention being given to fuel economy and vehicle emissions, manufacturers have been forced to develop engines that are controlled by a myriad of microprocessors and computers.  Add to that the need to improve horsepower and torque in 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engines which have replaced the mighty V8, the advent of a variety of turbos have made it possible to maintain power while reducing weight.

My S450 is powered by a 3.0 Liter V6 twin turbo which delivers 362 horsepower with 367 lb ft of torque.  It moves my 4600 pound S450 like there was a huge V8 under the hood.

I test drove the S560 immediately after test driving the S450 and found the S450 was the better buy at $10,000 less than the S560 since both cars are identical except for the engines.  Been a happy camper now for 16-1/2 months. 🤪

2021 Genesis G90

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    @fintail Our resident Mercedes expert!

Where are you in this discussion???

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    edited May 2019
    I had no idea this forum existed.

I am on my 8th MB, a 2019 E450 wagon. This car has the same engine as the S450 of @abacomike. It's a fantastic car, refined and somewhat elegant for a modern car as well. It comes at a steep price, but driving it gives one the impression that there's substance behind the price.

I've been driving MBs since I was 18, I've visited the MB Museum in Stuttgart 4 times, toured the Sindelfingen plant three times, the AMG engine facility once, and the Vance Alabama facility once.

This is the current fleet - I still have the MB I bought when I was 18 (24 years ago now) - it was an old car then and is something seldom seen today:

edited May 2019
    @fintail These "clubs" are relatively new and a revival of owners clubs we used to have. Glad you found it, since, as someone pointed out, you are our resident MB go-to :)

That is a GREAT photo BTW
    Thanks :) I'll check in here now and then and see if anything is going on.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,232
    fintail said:

Thanks :) I'll check in here now and then and see if anything is going on.

Don't you have similar "family pics" with the other cars you've owned before the wagon?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

As luck would have it:

Michaell said:

Don't you have similar "family pics" with the other cars you've owned before the wagon?

fintail said:

As luck would have it:

Michaell said:

Please - no luck about that...

Great history there. Wheeler Dealers fixed up an '85 300TD. Pretty fascinating

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    @fintail, very nice pics.!
    carnaught said:

@fintail, very nice pics.!

Yes indeed. I like the "comparison" composition of the shots
    @fintail, for those folks looking at these pictures for the first time, can you give us a rundown of what you've owned over the years?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited May 2019
    From oldest car to newest (aside from the old car):

1989 300SE
    1998 C43 AMG
    2002 E55 AMG
    2013 E350 Bluetec
    2014 E350
    2016 E250 Bluetec
    2019 E450
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    I love the color on 2016. You just don't see that very often

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I pretty much like the color on all of them. An attractive automobile assemblage!
    I have consistent tastes, I suppose. A couple of those colors are rare.

300SE: "Diamond Blue" (uncommon)
    C43 AMG: "Brilliant Silver"
    E55 AMG: "Tectite Grey" (quite rare)
    E350 Bluetec: "Polar White"
    E350: "Iridium Silver"
    E250 Bluetec: "Indigo Blue" (uncommon)
    E450: "Diamond White"

The fintail is simply "Bright Blue".
    Fintail, you are an amazing Mercedes enthusiast. I drive them only because they are well-built and up to snuff when it comes to technology. You, on the other hand, drive them because you fall in love with every one you buy!

I've owned at least 15 Mercedes Benz vehicles in the past 30 years - mostly E Class sedans with a couple of CLS's and an S450, which I just turned in as the lease was 6 months from maturing (MBFS picked up 3 payments and the dealer the other 3). I replaced the 2018 S450 with a 2020 E450 4MATIC purchase because I got the deal of a lifetime due to the corona virus manufacturer's incentives and the dealership's eagerness to sell a car with deep discounts.

When I think back to one of my first Mercedes, my 1987 420 SEL, I remember it was built like a tank and truly owned the road. I fall in love with people and pets, but you love your MB's so much you created your own collection. Bravo fintail.

2021 Genesis G90

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    My first Mercedes was a 1985 300E bought new - red on dark beige. Unlike Fin, I switch back and forth on car brands. Plus, every so often I perfer not paying close to $300 for a routine oil change :( .