Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura Owners Club - Meet the Members

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited March 2019 in Acura
Hello Acura owners! Welcome to the Edmunds forums.
Whether you're a first time Acura owner or having been driving them for years, take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your vehicle.

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Thanks! Owner of an ‘18 TLX A-SPEC. Have previously owned a TL.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Thanks! Owner of an ‘18 TLX A-SPEC. Have previously owned a TL.

What color? I kinda like the blue

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Gotta go with red

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Interior? :)

The whole package has to grab me!
    GG and I both have Red A spec TLX. Apparently it’s a “mature gentleman’s” sporty sedan!

Mines a 2019 4 cyl, with black leather/alcantara interior.

It resides in the garage next to my wife’s 2013 AWD RDX. So right now, we are 100% an Acura family.

Previously we had a 2000 TL (my sons car from HS all the way through college, inherited from my sister with 145k on it, sold with 175k). I also had a 2000 Integra hatch for about 6 months a few years back. Bought that with 175k on it.

Great cars overall. Next one likely is a new RDX to replace the old one, in about 3 years.

edited March 2019

“Arrest me Red”....in and out!
    My wife is coming to terms with a red car, but I never would have gotten her to sign off on the red interior too!

Red/red IS sort of a statement :)
    NY Auto Show starting tomorrow. The 2019 Acura NSX sort of changes the image of a hybrid, eh?

A $6,000 paint job upgrade? I don't know that I'd spring for that, even if I had the money.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Former Acura owner, '88 Integra & 05 TL. Two of my faves of all time. The Integra may have been the best screwed together car I've owned, closing the door I felt hermetically sealed in. Yes, even better than my '99 Chrysler 300M! :D

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I love that feeling of a good door closing :)

I know that sounds kinda dumb, but I think back to my '73 Vega and the feeling that if I closed a door or the hatch too hard, something MIGHT fall off
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    PF_Flyer said:

I love that feeling of a good door closing :)

I know that sounds kinda dumb, but I think back to my '73 Vega and the feeling that if I closed a door or the hatch too hard, something MIGHT fall off

I still have memories of my friend shoveling dirt from the driveway onto the engine fire after he started up his white '73 Vega just a bit before prospective buyers were coming to look at it!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Heh... I never had a fire, but I did have both rear side windows on the hatchback fall off of the car on the highway. The hinges that were glued to the front edge of the window unglued themselves.

What are you driving now?
    I’m curious about the interior. Plenty of pics for the exterior, but none of the interior. Not sure why there is such secrecy surrounding the drivetrain.
    Counting on the "tease" factor to increase interest and buzz??
    PF_Flyer said:

Counting on the "tease" factor to increase interest and buzz??

Well....they’re at Monterey. They got the buzz. They’re showing off the car. Want more buzz? Show the interior....show what’s under the hood. That will give them more buzz!

Maybe it's not set in stone yet :)
    So, finally there are some camo shots of the TLX interior. Looks to me like they’re using a version of the RDX interior, which I like a lot.

https://www.motor1.com/news/367197/2021-acura-tlx-spied-interior/amp/
    that does look just like the RDX. The ILX pretty much had the identical dash to my model RDX.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    I'm hoping they have a production ready version soon...only 12 payments remaining as of today. If they have a late summer 2020 release for the 2G TLX there's a chance we would consider an RDX so we can transfer over excess miles to that and then when the Tacoma goes back the following year I could look into a Type S for myself.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    I forgot about that miles thing. Might work if we ride out the TLX and move into an RDX, and I don't use them all up.

That link said it was going to be a late this year, early next year release for the new model as a 2020. Not sure if that means the type S at launch, but just based on current pricing, that is going to end up being what, $55k sticker?

That is curious. I don't really remember that many camo spy shots of interiors before. I'm sure there have been such things all along, but man, this stuff must be SECRET :)
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    I would guess between $50K-$55K with lower level models in the high to mid-40s. Acuras don't lease like some of the BMW loaners do so a Type S may really stretch the budget. To be fair though if you equipped a BMW with the tech that comes standard on most Acuras the value proposition for the Acura increases along with the sticker of the BMW.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    It isn't really so much that it is a secret, more just to get people buzzing about it. Once they take the wraps off, no more excitement!

Pen, i know my A spec was $40k, and I think the FWD V6 is $43, AWD ~45? Maybe a little more. Advanced runs up toward $47k. So an S type, with a HO motor and more goodies, will definitely hit $50K but maybe not much more.

pensfan83 said:

I would guess between $50K-$55K with lower level models in the high to mid-40s. Acuras don't lease like some of the BMW loaners do so a Type S may really stretch the budget. To be fair though if you equipped a BMW with the tech that comes standard on most Acuras the value proposition for the Acura increases along with the sticker of the BMW.

that reminds me. I did get an email last week from local Acura dealer, touting that they were doing leases on some CPO units. I assume could be out of the loaner fleet, but odd to see them CPO'd. Not sure the price was enough lower to make it worth while, but I would do that on an RDX if the numbers made sense, as a discounted buy with a deferred down payment!

Well, if they’re testing on the streets (as opposed to a closed circuit), they must be close to production.

Not sure how pricing shakes out. Understandable if they want to move a few grand more for the S-Type. But, they’re starting the current TLX in the mid-$30s for the base model. I would think they’d be hard pressed to move much higher than that to start, even with a massaged 2.0T (which in itself would offer 50+HP over the current TLX 4 Cyl).

Does a mid-level TLX (thinking Tech version) with a boosted 4cyl be in the high 30s to low 40s?

Advanced or A-Spec get a v6? Are they reserving the boosted V6 only for the S-Type? Where would that pricing be? $47K for an Advance or A-Spec? Would $50K for the S-Type move a potential buyer to and Audi or a BMW?

I’m a “fan boy”. So, they’ve got me looking hard. But, what about anyone who might be shopping around? Would $50K for a TLX scare them away?
    the A spec was $40k, and I think the tech was in the 37.5-38K range (all FWD). A spec is basically a tech with some sporty features on it. Base car was $35ish. the V6 added about $2K i think to each equivalent model.

Well, if they’re testing on the streets (as opposed to a closed circuit), they must be close to production.

Not sure how pricing shakes out. Understandable if they want to move a few grand more for the S-Type. But, they’re starting the current TLX in the mid-$30s for the base model. I would think they’d be hard pressed to move much higher than that to start, even with a massaged 2.0T (which in itself would offer 50+HP over the current TLX 4 Cyl).

Does a mid-level TLX (thinking Tech version) with a boosted 4cyl be in the high 30s to low 40s?

Advanced or A-Spec get a v6? Are they reserving the boosted V6 only for the S-Type? Where would that pricing be? $47K for an Advance or A-Spec? Would $50K for the S-Type move a potential buyer to and Audi or a BMW?

I’m a “fan boy”. So, they’ve got me looking hard. But, what about anyone who might be shopping around? Would $50K for a TLX scare them away?

Thanks! It’s been awhile since I bought mine and can’t quite remember the numbers.

I would wonder if Acura is just going to do a base engine (assuming 2.0T) and the S-Type engine (3.5TT?), what that means for the lineup.

Is there just base and S-Type? Does SH AWD go with the entire lineup? I can see them trying to slim the amount of configurations just because it helps with manufacturing complexity and costs.

I can see where all models get the safety an autonomous driving features. The rest? I guess the high zoot ELS stereo would be a part of the S-Type (but not the lower end models?).

In order to keep me interested, this trickle of info is not helping. Once the Cincinnati area finally gets its Genesis dealership(s) totally up and running, the G70 is on my radar, as is the GLI, maybe even the rumored TRD Camry/Avalon (if I decide to go less expensive and still get a little performance).

I assume fwd standard, AWD optional. Maybe standard with top engine. They might go to 2 motors though even with type S, so 4 banger will be 1 engine, AWD optional, and a couple trim levels. Type S a stand alone with big engine.

• mjoshi123mjoshi123 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I'm owner for Acura TSX Sport Wagon and love that car, owning for last 6 years with no issues apart from routine maintenance. I want to know if Acura is going to bring Sport Wagon back in near future ?
    Thanks
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    Not a chance.

I'm driving a TSX that I bought in '08 to replace a vehicle that needed to be disposed of. The theory, at the time, was that I'd buy the gas TSX (manual trans), then trade it in a year or two later after the diesel TSX was introduced and wrung out.

Well, none of that happened, and I'm still driving the '08 TSX, on its original clutch at 160K+ miles. Keep your car. You're not likely to find anything you like better in today''s market, unless you prefer driving a computer with wheels.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    odds are that if you want the spiritual successor it will be a small CUV.

I believe Acura views the RDX to cover the ground for the lamented departure of the TSX Wagon.

Take with a grain of salt, but visited my Acura dealer for an oil change last week. My sales guy grabbed me and showed me a rendering of the new TLX S-Type. As I suspected, it looks like a larger version of this year’s ILX.

He said pricing for the S-Type will be north of $50K. No idea of release date, nor of drivetrains. But, given Acura’s hints of a turbo 6 cyl, I would imagine that’s the S-Type’s engine. Not sure of the transmission as that will put out some torque. Not sure if Honda’s 10-speed can withstand it.

More speculation......base TLX will get the 2.0t from the Accord Sport, which eliminates the current 3.5L in its current form given power output is similar. $40K entry price?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    stickguy said:

odds are that if you want the spiritual successor it will be a small CUV.

Un-spiritual successor?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Seems like the all-new 2021 TLX is going to look very sharp—and have performance to match.

And for now there are good lease deals on the outgoing 2020 TLX, such as this lease offer on the nicely equipped base model....

2020 TLX 8 Speed Dual-Clutch Featured Special Loyalty/Conquest Lease.
    $279 Per month for 36 months. $2,499 Total due at signing. Option to purchase at lease end $17,352.

https://www.acura.com/tools/current-luxury-car-suv-offers-leasing
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    @benjaminh ...as is Honda’s/Acura’s way, scant info coming out about the new TLX. They’ve hinted the S-Type (if there is indeed going to be an S-Type, which isn’t a slam dunk) will have a turbo V6. I’ll assume it will be an offshoot of the current 3.5 with a turbo slapped on it...~350HP.

I live just down the road from the Marysville Honda plant where the TLX is made. Rumor (and it’s just that) has it from some of the people affiliated with the plant is the top trip TLX will be in the $50K neighborhood.

The lower levels will use the 2.0T 4 cyl from the Accord Sport. What’s not clear is the transmission they’ll use. Honda’s new 10-speed is probably the choice. What we don’t know is if that transmission would be able to reliably handle the added torque of the 3.5L with a turbo?

From what I’m hearing, if you like the current styling of the ILX, the 2021 TLX is just a bigger version with the current RDX’s interior.
    I am surprised they are not keeping the DCT that they invested a lot into perfecting. That is a really nice working transmission.

edited February 2020
    stickguy said:

I am surprised they are not keeping the DCT that they invested a lot into perfecting. That is a really nice working transmission.

From what I'm hearing, it may not be able to handle the torque of the 3.5L turbo V6. Works fine with the 4 cyl, though. Again, this is all dribs and drabs from the folks I talk to in Marysville. At best, these are rumors.

No one has seen under the hood, the undercarriage, or the interior of the 2021. At least, no one in the public has. Not a lot to go by. That could be a good thing (Acura keeping the lid on for a GRAND announcement), or a bad thing (so many issues that the testing, announcement and pricing is still changing at this late date).

If the 2021 is coming out in Spring/Summer, as has been expected, the plant will have to do their changeover in the next couple of months. So, will hear more then.

Additionally, I usually see some testing of new Honda vehicles on the surrounding interstates by now. Haven't seen anything, so far.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited February 2020

....I live just down the road from the Marysville Honda plant where the TLX is made. Rumor (and it’s just that) has it from some of the people affiliated with the plant is the top trip TLX will be in the $50K neighborhood.

The lower levels will use the 2.0T 4 cyl from the Accord Sport. What’s not clear is the transmission they’ll use. Honda’s new 10-speed is probably the choice. What we don’t know is if that transmission would be able to reliably handle the added torque of the 3.5L with a turbo?

From what I’m hearing, if you like the current styling of the ILX, the 2021 TLX is just a bigger version with the current RDX’s interior.

My family has owned a total of 5 cars made at Marysville—a 2002 Accord LX 5-speed manual, a 2008 Accord EXL 2.4 navi 5-speed manual, a 2013 Accord EXL navi 2.4 cvt, a 2016 Accord EX cvt, and now my 2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech. We only had scheduled maintenance on all of these cars, a couple of which (the 2002 and 2008) we kept until c. 90,000 miles.

By any chance have you ever gotten a tour inside of the Marysville factory? I think Honda used to do those, but discontinued them long ago. Toyota still offers tours of their huge factory in Kentucky not far from me, and I might go out of curiosity at some point.

Thanks for the rumors on the new TLX. I think it looks great from the previews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-uZwqDRtmk

I hope it doesn't affect Acura, but apparently behind the scenes at Honda there's some serious cost cutting going on, at least according to this article from a few months ago....

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/10/honda-ceo-streamlining/

"....In the United States, for example, Honda's 2020 Accord sedan comes in 13 versions, including three hybrids....At the two-day meeting in Utsunomiya, Hachigo and his procurement managers told suppliers to help Honda slash its range of cars and dumb down model types and options. They called on suppliers to use more common parts, from engines and transmissions to door handles, rear view mirrors and even knobs and switches, according to two people who attended the meeting and slides Honda used in presentations."

One of the things I like about my Acura TLX is that I can't find a single thing from the cabin to the driving experience that's the same as a Honda Accord. I know my 2.4 engine is a fancy and souped up version of the Honda 2.4, made to get more power out of high-octane gas, but otherwise everything is different.

I'm a little concerned about the possible impact on the new TLX, as well as on Acura going forward. But here's hoping that Acura is going to be insulated somewhat from cost cutting, because otherwise how will Acura compete with the other luxury makes?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    so, recently ( a week ago, just before it all hit the fan, so sorry to cause a pandemic!) a 2020 RDX SH-AWD tech package. For the wife, replacing her 2013 RDX base AWD that was coming up on 8 years old. Just ready for a new car for her recently lousy commute. She wanted modern tech goodies (navigation and BLIS mostly) so while we really liked the old buggy, it just felt like the right time. A couple days later of course it felt like the worst possible time, but by that point, it was just too darned late. So will ride out the restrictions with a really nice car in the garage!

white over espresso. Gorgeous interior color, and really looks good with white interior. and the car in general looks good in white.

just cracked 100 miles today. so far, impressed by it. really drives nice. Looking forward to someday getting out and taking a real trip with it.

also found that the issues with the real space touch pad are overblown. A little bit of a learning curve (salesman did a great job setting it all up and doing a tutorial) with some practice and it all makes sense. So while I was worried about that, no longer a concern.

looking forward to keeping this one at least another 8-10 years!

stickguy said:

so, recently ( a week ago, just before it all hit the fan, so sorry to cause a pandemic!) a 2020 RDX SH-AWD tech package. For the wife, replacing her 2013 RDX base AWD that was coming up on 8 years old. Just ready for a new car for her recently lousy commute. She wanted modern tech goodies (navigation and BLIS mostly) so while we really liked the old buggy, it just felt like the right time. A couple days later of course it felt like the worst possible time, but by that point, it was just too darned late. So will ride out the restrictions with a really nice car in the garage!

white over espresso. Gorgeous interior color, and really looks good with white interior. and the car in general looks good in white.

just cracked 100 miles today. so far, impressed by it. really drives nice. Looking forward to someday getting out and taking a real trip with it.

also found that the issues with the real space touch pad are overblown. A little bit of a learning curve (salesman did a great job setting it all up and doing a tutorial) with some practice and it all makes sense. So while I was worried about that, no longer a concern.

looking forward to keeping this one at least another 8-10 years!

Thanks. Not in the market, but the RDX is one of the two Acuras I’d consider. The other being the the TLX S-Type (which may, or may not, be released).
    I will say, for a "truck" it really drives well. Other than sitting a little higher, feels like a sports sedan.

and for me, the hip point is perfect. Not climbing up into it, or dropping down into the seat. step straight in or out.

• gpb59gpb59 Member Posts: 106
    Im close to leasing a 2020 tlx 2.4 with tech, my reservations are the city MPG, and the 2 screens, looks like I can get a great deal, looking at this vs the Audi A3 or 4 and Mazda 6, I like the way the other cars look on the outside, any insight from any owner appreciated
    Mileage isn’t bad. Certainly comparable to the other options.

And I like the 2 screens. Works fine. And when you are running navigation or CarPlay (top screen) it does not mess up your radio display on the bottom. Once you get used to what is where and how to control, makes a lot of sense and comes in handy. Plus the controls are easy to use.

I really don’t see where all the drama about the setup came from.

I agree about the two screens. Not sure why there was the original hand wringing over them. I like the way they work. Nav on one, Entertainment on the other. To me, it’s a clever way of displaying a lot of information on something other than split screens.

I have the 3.5L. I’m amazed at it’s all highway MPG. I regularly get into the mid-30s MPG when driving all highway.

In town, low 20s MPG. The 4 cyl will do even better.

Mine just passed it’s 3rd birthday. It has been one of the most reliable, most trouble free, frugal cars I’ve ever owned. And, I’ve owned Audis (which will be much more expensive to maintain).

Last Mazda I owned was an RX8. That was not their pinnacle of reliability. But, that was a long time ago. I like the looks of the 6. Never driven one, though.
    So, just saw the Car and Driver blurb about the 2021 TLX releases. Most of the info we already knew. It gets it’s own platform that’s not shared by any other Honda product.

However, it will use Honda Accord’s 2.0L Turbo motor (my guess it’s highly tuned to make somewhere in the 300HP arena) with Honda’s new 10-speed automatic trans, which is a good one. On upper end models, you’ll be able to get SH AWD.

TLX S-Type will be a turbo V6, probably with SH AWD.

The kicker...it was supposed to be released in June. With COVID 19, that may get pushed back to November with the TLX-S Type somewhere in mid to late 2021.
    Ouch on that timing.