Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Toyota Corolla Automatic - will no longer automatically shift from 3rd to 4th (overdrive) Why?

toolgal0toolgal0 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2019 in Toyota
Hey!
My 2012 Toyota Corolla (Automatic transmission) will no longer shift from 3rd to 4th (overdrive). I've noticed the TRAC OFF words, on the dash, are on. I've tried to depress the TRAC OFF button but it does not take the TRAC OFF indicator off of the dashboard and the transmission still will not shift farther than 3rd..... I'm going through gas like crazy! During the Winter I recall having to brake hard once and wonder if this issue has anything to do with that? What will the Toyota Dealership do? Is it something that can be overridden by pulling the codes from the computer and resetting? This car sat for 2 weeks without being started - could that be the cause? HeLp :(

Answers

• fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Is your Overdrive (O/D) button on off? My 2006 has the button on the shift lever.

• toolgal0toolgal0 Member Posts: 2
    There doesn’t appear to be an overdrive button.  I looked in the owners manual but it doesn’t show one.  The check engine light is on now and TRAC OFF light is on.  I don’t remember ever seeing that light on.   — and thank you for trying to help me.  I’m a single woman with a little more than basic knowledge about cars/trucks and engines.  I just don’t want to be taken advantage of if I take her to the dealer. 
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Are you sure the shift lever is in the "D" position and not in "3"?

You can take it to AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts and they can analyze why the check engine light is on. They do not charge for this service.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Autozone might not be able to read TCM codes. Is the ABS and/or Engine Light on as well?

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,742
    fredvh said:

Are you sure the shift lever is in the "D" position and not in "3"?
    You can take it to AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts and they can analyze why the check engine light is on. They do not charge for this service.

Pulling codes does not equal any kind of analysis, that is a common misconception. A trouble code only means that a sensor signal, or output circuit, or some other test that a module has run has failed or is outside of the expected voltage range for a given set of conditions. It does not determine why which is what a technician actually doing an analysis accomplishes.