Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid "red triangle" car stops FIX

shemmy2shemmy2 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2019 in Ford
Here is a new one ... I have a 2006 FEH, last month wife was leaving a friends house, 1 minute later the car stopped and she told me the "red triangle" was displayed. Had the car towed by AAA home. After searching the web for "red triangle" car stopping ... one solution was to replace a bad fuel pump. That evening, I unscrewed access to the fuel pump, checked the electrical connections ... voila! The 4 contacts were corroded! Cleaned them off with contact cleaner and the car has been running fine for the past month. On other boards, owners had new hybrid battery installed ($$$), new MECS pump ($$), new fuel pump($). Clean the fuel pump contacts first ($0).

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Congrats! Nice job.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    shemmy2 said:

Cleaned them off with contact cleaner and the car has been running fine for the past month. On other boards, owners had new hybrid battery installed ($$$), new MECS pump ($$), new fuel pump($). Clean the fuel pump contacts first ($0).

It doesn't actually work that way. While that might have been the solution for you that has no bearing on what is going on with someone else's car. You took a blind guess and it happened to be right, nothing more, nothing less.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well not quite blind--he did find a discernible problem. But yeah, the red triangle often does mean battery issues.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745

Well not quite blind--he did find a discernible problem. But yeah, the red triangle often does mean battery issues.

Correct, even in this case it actually does too. With the fuel pump failing, the engine possibly doesn't run at all so the hybrid battery system is forced to propel the vehicle as well as be relied on to try to start the engine which depletes the battery quickly. The system is then designed to try to limit how much the battery get's discharged and that's why it shuts down and the high voltage warning system lamp illuminates.
  • GreenbugGreenbug Member Posts: 4
    Had my car in storage and would not start. Read the manual for jump start and it had info on red triangle and button for high voltage batt! It worked!