Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Starts and idles fine but dies when i give it gas

MorganmikeMorganmike Member Posts: 2
edited March 2019 in Mercury
My Mercury mountaineer 2001 dies when I try to accelerate.. it will idle fine and barely go as long as I'm not trying to go up Hill . there's a weird knocking coming from sorta behind or below the glove Box and my heater keeps coming on and off. Anyone know this problem? Electrical or fuses? Or Fuel pump, filter? or alternator

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like multiple issues going on here. This is the type of problem where you start with the basics. Test your battery and charging system, clean all your cables and ground, and hook up a professional scan too to read both codes and real time data.
  • MorganmikeMorganmike Member Posts: 2
    I'm hiking to avoid taking it anywhere  ..  I've been told it could be a wire touching something that's shorting  it out or  fuel pump or iac
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    More often than not, guessing proves to be more expensive than hiring someone who knows what they're doing. The trick is finding someone who knows what they're doing, and who is well-trained to assist you.

Even friends might have a simple fuel pressure gauge or a VOM meter. Working completely in the dark won't get you anywhere most likely.