Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Performance Tested - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2016 in Mazda
imagePerformance Tested - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

We take our long-term 2016 Mazda Miata to the track.

Read the full story here

Comments

• s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    plenty fast for most people. this vehicle is about making your every day drive a hoot; the best part of the day.

if you are looking to do some stoplight racing you are in the wrong car.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    The numbers are great, but how about a side-by-side comparison with the previous Miata that y'all had? I'm curious how it stacks up against it. Also, I'd like a "by the seat of the pants" comparison, where the driver has driven both the new Miata and the old one that y'all had.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    No slalom test?
  • subytrojansubytrojan Member Posts: 120
    +1 to what bankerdanny asked.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    How did it compare to the Taco parked next to it? What's it's RTI? ;)
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    2900 rpm at 70mph? That's going to get annoying on the highway :(
  • dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    banhugh said:

2900 rpm at 70mph? That's going to get annoying on the highway :(

I think it used to be something like 3500 rpm at 70! Big improvement. My GTI is turning I think about 3000 at 75 mph, so it's not a big difference, and my car is quiet on the highway.
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    Reving engine to 3600 RPM before a launch to achieve those acceleration figures is a problem. I assume there is virtually no low end torque, which would be a problem for me. I like it low and early.
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    edited February 2016
    I think the lack of body control on this Club variant is troubling. Also I note that this car, with its low CG and great f/r weight distribution, pulled only .90g on the skidpad, where the LT GTI, with a much higher CG, large front weight bias and the exact same tires, pulled .94. Yes, the GTI had wider tires, but it's 800 lbs heavier and using the front tires for everything.

If a low car like this with this excellent f/r bias is traction-limited on the skidpad, overloading its outside tires due to too much body roll, that's not good.

Also its braking performance was identical to the GTI's - again, with the better f/r distribution, the Miata should do better...he doesn't say it's experiencing too much nosedive, but I would bet more body control would help.

Finally, this is the sport version of a single-purpose car, and the LT GTI was the non-performance-pack (which includes better brakes) version of a hot hatchback/master of all trades, yet the GTI seems more capable. I realize the Miata is not going to compete with a Corvette or a GT350 (or even an Ecoboost Mustang) on a road course, but I would expect it to do better than a hot hatchback.

Car & Driver's Lightning Lap 2016 (where a PP-equipped GTI was a huge 6.2 seconds faster around VIR than a Miata Club) revealed these exact criticisms also. If they're going to charge an extra $3,500 for the Club version of the MX-5, it should have more serious suspension upgrades than just Bilstein shocks and a shock-tower brace.
  • MaurixespMaurixesp Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a homework to do...
    I need to know the braking force that a Mazda MX-5 performs, taking into account the force applied in the pedal, the brake system type, the number of boosters etc...
    Is there anyone that could help me?
    Please!!!!