Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,268
    At $300K, it would have to be my year-round home.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,763
    kyfdx said:

At $300K, it would have to be my year-round home.

Hahaha, yeah, same here! Maybe even a timeshare or something, where I rent out the extra beds.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited April 2019
    Oh, I failed to mention: Appraisal was about $80K at the time.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The one I'm looking at is a 2008. Sold for $650,000, now worth about $230K. Did I just say $42,000 a year depreciation?

Yeah, I did. :'(
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    Wow, just wow.

Sounds like something to buy used for sure.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    650? WHOA!! Is it one of those crazy deals where the lifeboat car comes out from underneath it?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited April 2019

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,258
    Maybe a race car driver or band? They buy some high dollar RV's.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    They do indeed. This might be too low rent for them, though. They like makes like Prevost. You can get a high mileage used one for $500K.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,238
    They seem to become outdated relatively quickly, just like the infotainment on modern cars. Did you need a flat screen TV as soon as they became widely available? Probably not. But in a motor home, with limited space, the argument is easier. And it's really weird to see older used ones with giant spaces dedicated to tube style TVs. Not easily upgraded.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Let's hear it for early adopters.

Or not.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    This 2008 is a 45 ft diesel pusher---600HP, and it has, of all things--a collision avoidance system. I would think every other car it meets on the road should have it instead.
    To avoid collisions with cruise ships, I suppose

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,156
    Probably a rotating radar dome on the roof...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Probably something like the C-class I rented in the United Kingdom last year--a red light would appear on the instrument cluster if you were following the car ahead too closely, and I think that was about all it would do. Pretty quaint, by today's standards.
    Well whatever "collision avoidance" was in 2008, the buyer paid $8,800 for that option !!

Well whatever "collision avoidance" was in 2008, the buyer paid $8,800 for that option !!

Yeah, but what was that.... 1% of MSRP? We pay way more than that for options on our cars (relatively).
    I can’t fathom over a million bucks for something with over 300k Miles.

https://www.rvt.com/Prevost-Florida-Coach-XLII-2014-Madison-TN-ID8581995-UX286973

I remember talking to one of the driver's dropping a load off at the warehouse my FIL managed.
    His tractor was 4 years old with 900,000 miles on it.
  • VinriderVinrider Member Posts: 7
    I think it may be a better approach to view things like KBB value as the upper end of what you could get if you sold it directly to someone else. As far as trading in, I doubt you ever get much of the true value.
    tjc78 said:

I can’t fathom over a million bucks for something with over 300k Miles.

https://www.rvt.com/Prevost-Florida-Coach-XLII-2014-Madison-TN-ID8581995-UX286973

top o' the line rig.
    edited April 2019
    OK, for grins here - looking for private party value on my mom's car.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS with the 2.7L V6.

Burgundy over beige cloth (I think - could be leather). Sunroof, alloys, AM/FM/CD/Cassette.

I'd say average to below average condition - a few scratches and dents, and the passenger mirror housing is cracked. So far as I know, the tires are relatively new and there aren't any issues with the major mechanical systems.

EDIT - actually, the cruise control doesn't work

Here's the kicker - only 35,000 miles on it.

She'll be 81 in about a month, and isn't driving much now.

Any guesses as to what we could get in a private sale?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Michaell said:

OK, for grins here - looking for private party value on my mom's car.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS with the 2.7L V6.

Burgundy over beige cloth (I think - could be leather). Sunroof, alloys, AM/FM/CD/Cassette.

I'd say average to below average condition - a few scratches and dents, and the passenger mirror housing is cracked. So far as I know, the tires are relatively new and there aren't any issues with the major mechanical systems.

EDIT - actually, the cruise control doesn't work

Here's the kicker - only 35,000 miles on it.

She'll be 81 in about a month, and isn't driving much now.

Any guesses as to what we could get in a private sale?

Oh, geez, I sort of left out the most important bit - this is in SoCal, between LA and Santa Barbara.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Just drive it to New York and @oldfarmer50 will snatch it up!

I’d bet someone will pay $3500 for it.

$995

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited April 2019
    kyfdx said:
    $995
    No way that low

I think $2,500-$3,500 is about right. People go crazy for low mileage cars that were driven by an elderly person.
    A 16 year old Hyundai? No matter the mileage, it's not a $3000 car.

And, yes, the $995 was for effect. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited April 2019
    I'm thinking I may take it when the Jetta lease is up. It has needs, but given how little I drive it would be a good car for me.

And, the 1100 mile road trip back to Colorado would do it, and me, some good.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

1,100 miles in it would definitely be a good shakedown to see whether there are any problems resulting from its light usage, although it might get tedious without cruise control. Has the timing belt been changed?
    corvette said:

1,100 miles in it would definitely be a good shakedown to see whether there are any problems resulting from its light usage, although it might get tedious without cruise control. Has the timing belt been changed?

1. When I moved to CO in 1993, the 1991 Sentra SE I owned did not have cruise. So, in theory I could do it again, but I'd likely have it looked at by the dealer in CA.
    2. Ooo, good point. Pretty sure the timing belt hasn't been done. My folks weren't able to keep up with the maintenance on it the last few years, beyond normal oil changes and such. I think the tires are a few years old, as well, but still with decent tread.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    Definitely give it a thorugh going though before you leave

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited April 2019
    Ask $2150, take $1500-$1900 to the first person waving cash. Send 'er down the road.

This presume no "turn-off" glaring mechanical defects that would discourage a buyer on a test drive--like no brakes, horrible screeching noises etc. Older drivers tend to ignore stuff like this.

Prediction: Perfect for a working man's young daughter's first car as she starts junior college. Dad will fix up the little problems. They will live near Carpinteria. (I'm a used car criminal profiler) B)

In this price range/model type, I don't think mileage is a strong hole card.

I think it is a fallacy that old retired people that drive very little, are good at maintaining their vehicles, generally.

Every relative of mine, no matter how much money they have, how nice of a car they've bought, or how good they were at doing it 40 years ago, ask: "Do I really have to have that done? I only drove it 5000 miles, last year."

And, they are at the worst for buying premium fuel, even if it's required.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Age does count. Most definitely. Tires will dry rot, it is a common problem with motor homes which don't get driven a lot. And every piece of rubber will deteriorate. Radiator and heater hoses. Belts. Valve cover gaskets. The trim around the doors.

And plastic. Especially any plastic that is exposed to sunlight. Has this car been kept in a garage? If so, that would help. Over in the Cadillac forums, they talk about finding a "garage queen", a 10 or 12 year old Caddy that was kept in the garage, driven very little (never when it rained), dealer maintained, extremely low mileage. Such cars do exist, especially in the area of used Cadillacs.

Back to your case. If you're really thinking about driving this thing 1100 miles back to Colorado, I would first take it out on the freeway, run it at least 30 minutes at 70 mph to get the tires hot and see if they survive.

People talk about picking up a cheap older car for second duty. But have you thought about the cost of insurance, and registration, maintenance, etc, etc?
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    I'll driveit to Colorado for you in August but you pay gas and room and board and give me permission to abandon it just north of Moab if I have to.
    I loved Moab, it’s like “keep Austin weird” without the traffic jams of Austin. 

Ask $2150, take $1500-$1900 to the first person waving cash. Send 'er down the road.

This presume no "turn-off" glaring mechanical defects that would discourage a buyer on a test drive--like no brakes, horrible screeching noises etc. Older drivers tend to ignore stuff like this.

Prediction: Perfect for a working man's young daughter's first car as she starts junior college. Dad will fix up the little problems. They will live near Carpinteria. (I'm a used car criminal profiler) B)

OK, that profile is funny. I can see the car commuting from Carpenteria to Santa Barbara City College 3 days a week.

The car has lived in a garage it's whole life. It looks good from 30', when it's clean.

There is one known problem --- the fuel filler neck has some sort of problem that prevents the pump nozzle from staying in the locked position. I've heard it's a recall item, but nobody has pursued it.

No rush on this - and, I'm not 100% convinced that I'll take it. I could get away with comprehensive insurance only, I suppose, and I'm putting gas in the Jetta about once a month, so that cost won't be too great.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

OK, that profile is funny. I can see the car commuting from Carpenteria to Santa Barbara City College 3 days a week.

The car has lived in a garage it's whole life. It looks good from 30', when it's clean.

There is one known problem --- the fuel filler neck has some sort of problem that prevents the pump nozzle from staying in the locked position. I've heard it's a recall item, but nobody has pursued it.

No rush on this - and, I'm not 100% convinced that I'll take it. I could get away with comprehensive insurance only, I suppose, and I'm putting gas in the Jetta about once a month, so that cost won't be too great.
    Liability only. Why would you need comprehensive?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

Michaell said:

Liability only. Why would you need comprehensive?
    Yeah, that's it. You can tell this is an area I've not played in before.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    For me, where I live, on an old car, liability insurance is the biggest bite, by far. Full coverage is only going to pay out a maximum of maybe $3k, if the car gets totaled, so they aren't (or shouldn't) charge much for that. But the damage you could do, what you could be liable for, that doesn't change in the slightest.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    In my experience, a low total value doesn’t save much on collision/comprehensive. We pay about the same on an ‘06, as a ‘17 model, and it’s $7K vs $37K value.

Thinking about doing liability only on the ‘06. Would save $400/yr.

Of course, if you have a young driver with higher rates, you can save a lot more.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Thought about posting this on project cars....but since the Profiler is among us .... ;)

I'm not asking for valuations, I just thought it's a remarkable ad. Esp now CL costs money, might as well get a 3 for 1 deal..

https://lansing.craigslist.org/cto/d/eaton-rapids-bmw-roadster-bmw-z3/6870999370.html

Happy Easter.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    I want a garage like that.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I love the old tractor in the foreground. Man, that brings back memories.
    edited April 2019
    steine13 said:

Thought about posting this on project cars....but since the Profiler is among us .... ;)

I'm not asking for valuations, I just thought it's a remarkable ad. Esp now CL costs money, might as well get a 3 for 1 deal..

https://lansing.craigslist.org/cto/d/eaton-rapids-bmw-roadster-bmw-z3/6870999370.html

Happy Easter.

Well not too bad a deal if the cars have been squared away. The M Roadster is underpriced, the '98 Z3 is about right and a bit of a bargain if it's a 2.8L, and overpriced if it's a 1.9L. The Crossfire is just a lump and would be hard to flip, but eventually you could sell it for what you paid I think.

Of course, if any of these cars have serious/semi-serious needs, you can throw all this out the window.

If it were me, I'd just focus on inspecting and snagging the M Roadster and leave the rest to CL vultures to pick over.

Truth be told, I'd be most interested in the tractor and if I wanted a 2-seater, I'd buy a more reliable Honda S2000.
    kyfdx said:

In my experience, a low total value doesn’t save much on collision/comprehensive. We pay about the same on an ‘06, as a ‘17 model, and it’s $7K vs $37K value.

Thinking about doing liability only on the ‘06. Would save $400/yr.

Of course, if you have a young driver with higher rates, you can save a lot more.

You can get comprehensive without collision, and that's really cheap. That covers things like vandalism, theft, fire, tree falling on it. If you get a fairly high deductible, the premium for this is....peanuts.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Re: Insurance.
    I agree with the general statements about insurance costs, dependence on car value etc... but...

Mostly it's a racket. I just went from some midwestern teacher's outfit that used to be quite competitive to Progressive... the former jacked me up 12% in six months... repeatedly... until I paid, wait for it, $105/month in collision coverage for my leased Cruze. Now I'm paying $20/month. That is such a difference that it changes the calculus for used vs. new -- whether I turn in my lease early, for example.

I was with these guys six years and didn't have a single claim. Three drivers, including a teen, nothing, no violations... up and up and up the rates went. Can't nobody tell me that's based on 'risk'.

My old 2003 Sienna that hasn't had collision for years now has it again. Costs $5/month. My total cost went down by more than half. I don't get this business model -- we were a cash cow for the old company, why couldn't they leave it alone?

Can't wait until the new guys double my rates to see what the market will bear. [end rant]
    The rates could be tied to who they are underwriting.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,336
    stickguy said:
    I want a garage like that.
    I absolutely have enough height in my garage to do this, but would have to replace the garage door as they have it suspended fairly low. 

If we choose to stay in Seattle forever, I’ll probably do it. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible