Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591

steine13 said:

Thought about posting this on project cars....but since the Profiler is among us .... ;)

I'm not asking for valuations, I just thought it's a remarkable ad. Esp now CL costs money, might as well get a 3 for 1 deal..

https://lansing.craigslist.org/cto/d/eaton-rapids-bmw-roadster-bmw-z3/6870999370.html

Happy Easter.

Truth be told, I'd be most interested in the tractor and if I wanted a 2-seater, I'd buy a more reliable Honda S2000.
    I used to think this until I test drove a S2K. Over six feet? Forget about it.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    edited April 2019

You can get comprehensive without collision, and that's really cheap. That covers things like vandalism, theft, fire, tree falling on it. If you get a fairly high deductible, the premium for this is....peanuts.

Comprehensive includes zero-deductible glass replacement in my state, which is a nice bonus. I always laugh when the glass company sets up a three way phone call with the insurance company's out of state glass administrator and they ask me if I want to try to repair the windshield first - "we'll even waive your deductible!" :p
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    tifighter said:

steine13 said:

Thought about posting this on project cars....but since the Profiler is among us .... ;)

I'm not asking for valuations, I just thought it's a remarkable ad. Esp now CL costs money, might as well get a 3 for 1 deal..

https://lansing.craigslist.org/cto/d/eaton-rapids-bmw-roadster-bmw-z3/6870999370.html

Happy Easter.

Truth be told, I'd be most interested in the tractor and if I wanted a 2-seater, I'd buy a more reliable Honda S2000.
    I used to think this until I test drove a S2K. Over six feet? Forget about it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also my problem with most 2-seater drop tops. My legs hit the steering wheel when I work the clutch. Impossible for me to drive the (older) Miata, Boxster, Cayman, MR2, Z3, S2000. Well I CAN drive them but it isn't very comfortable. Not the MR2 though--can't even drive that one.
    Rule of Thumb: If you want to flip cars for a living, buy what other people like to drive, not what you like to drive.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,761
    jmonroe1 said:

Man, anybody that has that many questions about cars shouldn't even be driving them let alone trying to sell them.  :'(

jmonroe

Yeah, no doubt. What a dingbat way to spam us. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Sheldon4710Sheldon4710 Member Posts: 3
    I'm trying to help my brother-in-law who is not a computer user.

He wants to sell his Pontiac 2005 GTO. It's fully loaded; mint condition; 8100 miles ; Corvette engine; 400 HP; auto transmission; limited production car; red with black interior; chrome rims; garage store; purchased in 2005 off showroom floor.

He lives outside of Tampa, FL. Can anyone give me any advice on the best way of going about advertising this car for sale? Also, what might the value be?

Thanks for your help.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    I’d see if Bring a Trailer wants to auction it.  

Sounds like the perfect candidate for that venue. 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    At dealer auction, only 1 similar car has gone through. It had 13k miles and scored $19,200. Figure that dealer maybe lists it for $24,995 and fetches $23k. Maybe.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited May 2019

He wants to sell his Pontiac 2005 GTO. It's fully loaded; mint condition; 8100 miles ; Corvette engine; 400 HP; auto transmission; limited production car; red with black interior; chrome rims; garage store; purchased in 2005 off showroom floor.

He lives outside of Tampa, FL. Can anyone give me any advice on the best way of going about advertising this car for sale? Also, what might the value be?

Thanks for your help.

https://bringatrailer.com/

They get some pretty strong prices on that site but he's going to need assistance, it sounds like, to compose a good description and post lots and lots of photos. I think it's worth the investment in time to try an online auction for this particular car.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,465

Thanks for your help.

Maybe I'm a little biased about this but I'd see what Carvana would do on this since they floored me with what they gave me for Mrs. j's Legacy last month. Then again they might not deal with this type of car but it can't hurt to try. It's always best to check a few places before you sell.

That sounds like a very nice car. Good luck.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    jmonroe1 said:

Thanks for your help.

Maybe I'm a little biased about this but I'd see what Carvana would do on this since they floored me with what they gave me for Mrs. j's Legacy last month. Then again they might not deal with this type of car but it can't hurt to try. It's always best to check a few places before you sell.

That sounds like a very nice car. Good luck.

jmonroe
    Actually, not a bad idea. The big Carmax closest to me usually has at least one "exotic" or what I would call exotic car on their showroom floor. And those have to come from somewhere, so ...

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited May 2019
    @qbrozen

Q- 2018 Lava Red Honda Crv exl , 2500 miles bought in NJ, Sept 2018. Garaged.

Any idea on a fair & good Trade in. Kellys instant cash offer thru dealership was $24,114

KBB's ' range on this vehicle's..... cash or Trade-in is........................... $23,263 to $24,818

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    that didn't last long. good thing it is a Honda that probably holds it's value the best

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Does anyone in this forum have access to Galves pricing?

brian125 said:
    Nope. But my I’m usually really close with my calculated values. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

brian125 said:
    @qbrozen Q- 2018 Lava Red Honda Crv exl , 2500 miles bought in NJ, Sept 2018. Garaged. Any idea on a fair & good Trade in. Kellys instant cash offer thru dealership was $24,114 KBB's ' range on this vehicle's..... cash or Trade-in is........................... $23,263 to $24,818
    AWD, yes? That’s a bit light. $25.5k would be more accurate. Have you tried carvana and vroom?

qbrozen said:

brian125 said:

@qbrozen

Any idea on a fair & good Trade in. Kellys instant cash offer thru dealership was $24,114

KBB's ' range on this vehicle's..... cash or Trade-in is........................... $23,263 to $24,818

AWD, yes? That’s a bit light. $25.5k would be more accurate. Have you tried carvana and vroom?

Tks Q ...Yes AWD.. I'll check out those other 2 sites

qbrozen said:

brian125 said:

@qbrozen

Caravana...... has the CRV listed as...........$25,677..... I'll try to get selling dealer to match.

TKs ......Q

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118
    brian125 said:

qbrozen said:

brian125 said:

@qbrozen

Caravana...... has the CRV listed as...........$25,677..... I'll try to get selling dealer to match.

TKs ......Q

Doubt that will happen, but keep us posted.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I did not get a dealer to match Carvana. Carmax was about $700 back of Carvana, and one dealer offered that exact same amount (without prompting to match it) but unfortunately not the one I bought from.

• preternaturalpreternatural Member Posts: 61
    2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T
    15071 miles, White with Black interior 
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118

Condition?
    Location?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

brian125 said:

TKs ......Q

I think they will. What are you replacing it with?

• preternaturalpreternatural Member Posts: 61
    Michaell said:

Condition?
    Location?
    very good condition, 98502 zip code, PNW

qbrozen said:
    Caravana...... has the CRV listed as...........$25,677..... I'll try to get selling dealer to match. TKs ......Q
    I think they will. What are you replacing it with?
    Friend is replacing his 18 model with 19 model. I will try to make deal with same Honda dealer as last time with a caravana match on trade in 

Condition? Location?
    very good condition, 98502 zip code, PNW
    About $24k trade, if that is the question, if there was a question.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    qbrozen said:

brian125 said:

Nope. But my I’m usually really close with my calculated values. 

"I'm not a forum host, but I play one on edmunds."

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@qbrozen  Tks....your pricing was right on target.  Here are price quotes  from both sites   Carvana offered $ 25,677 . Vroom  offered 26k for...2018 CRV EXL . I originally negotiated friends deal oct ,18 for 3k below models invoice, about 26k for his  exl. He’s lucky it’s a Honda his depreciation hit to upgrade  would be worse.  

If my friend trades back this new 2019 vehicle before 1st oil change should we let @Breld know there’s a new kid on the block. :'(  

• bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    https://cadillac.com/certified-pre-owned/search-inventory#!#%3FdealerID=7DO9CkJ_vAU=&stockNum=CP3998&distance=4.02

Hi Guys: Referred here from the Chronic Car Buyers Forum:

I need some advice if I may. I've decided I'd like to have a Cadillac XTS. I found this certified car at my nearby Cadillac dealer. The CarFax seems clean. It is a color combo I really like. I think their asking price of $33,995 is high. Even certified. I noticed it's been on their lot about 3 months. Maybe they'd like to move it?

I would sincerely appreciate some sage advice from the folks here as to what would be a fair price for me to offer if I decide to pursue the car. Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance.
    brian125 said:

If my friend trades back this new 2019 vehicle before 1st oil change should we let @Breld know there’s a new kid on the block. :'(  

Neh. He has to do that 5 times in a row before it counts. Bonus points for getting rid of it BEFORE the license plates come in.
    bryan said:

https://cadillac.com/certified-pre-owned/search-inventory#!#%3FdealerID=7DO9CkJ_vAU=&stockNum=CP3998&distance=4.02

I need some advice if I may. I've decided I'd like to have a Cadillac XTS. I found this certified car at my nearby Cadillac dealer. The CarFax seems clean. It is a color combo I really like. I think their asking price of $33,995 is high. Even certified. I noticed it's been on their lot about 3 months. Maybe they'd like to move it?

I would sincerely appreciate some sage advice from the folks here as to what would be a fair price for me to offer if I decide to pursue the car. Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance.

Makes sense as an asking price for CPO. Auction value is right around $29k-30k. Not too familiar with Caddy CPO nor what kind of warranty it provides, but I'd probably be looking to pay around $33k.

qbrozen said:

bryan said:

Makes sense as an asking price for CPO. Auction value is right around $29k-30k. Not too familiar with Caddy CPO nor what kind of warranty it provides, but I'd probably be looking to pay around $33k.
    Thanks for this information. What I've read is that the Caddy certified warranty is 6 years from original date car is put into service and 100,000 miles. Since this particular car is the Luxury trim level with no other real options, I thought I might be a little high based on my limited research. Thanks again for your quick reply!
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    A good number of the XTS were put in rental fleets. You may want to confirm what type of ownership it had. If a rental and checks out good, perhaps negotiate the price even lower.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

A good number of the XTS were put in rental fleets. You may want to confirm what type of ownership it had. If a rental and checks out good, perhaps negotiate the price even lower.

I noticed that during my research. All the CarFaxes of those XTSes I was potentially interested in indicated they were rental cars. Except for the particular car I'm interested in. CarFax shows the car was put into service in the Mid-West and had two routine service visit records in a neighboring state. If I decide to pursue driving the car, I'll see what other info I can find from the dealer.
    Just realized the link I provide earlier did not link to the car I'm considering. I think it's time for me to have that Cadillac I've always wanted...I ain't getting any younger! I think I may drive it tomorrow, and if that goes well, make an offer of $32K and go from there.

https://www.lindsaycars.com/searchused.aspx?Cpo=true&Year=2018&Make=Cadillac&Model=XTS

Sharp looking car. Love the color combo.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    edited May 2019
    @qbrozen - Could you give me a rough trade-in for the following

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
    70,700 miles
    Auto trans
    Black Exterior
    Saddle/Tan Interior
    Vector Steering
    21" Wheels
    Burmester Audio
    Nav

Original MSRP was in the neighborhood of $165k (currently on second owner).

No runs, hits, or errors - garaged kept in excellent shape. Only ~5k miles put on it in the last 2 years. Philly Metro area.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    Its OK. I found it by googling the stock number. :)

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591

@qbrozen - Could you give me a rough trade-in for the following

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
    70,700 miles
    Auto trans
    Black Exterior
    Saddle/Tan Interior
    Vector Steering
    21" Wheels
    Burmester Audio
    Nav

Original MSRP was in the neighborhood of $165k (currently on second owner).

No runs, hits, or errors - garaged kept in excellent shape. Only ~5k miles put on it in the last 2 years. Philly Metro area.

Ok, I'm looking forward to this one.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

I wouldn't - one dealer pegged it at 38, Carvana at 39, and still waiting on Vroom. I'm guessing Q is going to say 40k is all the money on this one, which is crazy to me.
    Some quick math ... it's lost 76% of it's value in 5 years. Really bad stuff.
    Yeah - the current owner bought it for ~$62k a couple years ago which, by itself, is a pretty steep hit. That said, another drop of $22k in 2 years is pretty freaking brutal.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    @qbrozen; any idea on a fair price for this Z4?
    Asking for a friend; they never did anything for me.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

link not working for me RB.

Yeah - the current owner bought it for ~$62k a couple years ago which, by itself, is a pretty steep hit. That said, another drop of $22k in 2 years is pretty freaking brutal.

well, it sounds like a lot. but that is what, about $900/month? probably would pay more than that to lease one, though it would be new.

A new cayenne turbo would be way way way more. This also has 4 years and 40k miles left on a bumper to bumper warranty (which he could get refunded). 
    Yeah... $39k is the number. $40.5k is the auction value.

@qbrozen; any idea on a fair price for this Z4? Asking for a friend; they never did anything for me.
    Not workin for me neither

Woof. That’s a hit.