Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think for most people doing what most people do all day in a car, paddle shifters are just a bit silly.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,305

I think for most people doing what most people do all day in a car, paddle shifters are just a bit silly.

Our Outback has paddles for the CVT. I've probably used them just a handful of times, mainly just to play around with them.

But, here in CO, it's nice to use them to downshift on slippery roads when you're going downhill and want to avoid the brakes.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095

They are, but they are a fun diversion sometimes. I've played with them on the ATS and it makes no sense to use them in normal driving. I suppose if you tracked it, that would be a different story.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948

Buuuuttt... the same can be said of a manual transmission. The only difference is that you are FORCED to be a bit silly with the manual. :p

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I will mention one thing I like -- Ford, in their pickups (don't know about the cars?) has a "gear indicator" on the dash. With 6 and 10 speed automatic transmissions, it's interesting to see what gear the computer has picked for you under what circumstances, and how far it drops when you lower the hammer.

It really doesn't matter, all that matters is how well the vehicle responds, but I still find it interesting.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Paddles. Get a new car with paddles.. play around with them for the first week. Then, never touch them again. (my experience)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,556
    that is what I do. Just try them once or twice. Still need to figure out the TLX. Not sure how to switch that to manual mode.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    stickguy said:

that is what I do. Just try them once or twice. Still need to figure out the TLX. Not sure how to switch that to manual mode.

In the Outback you don't have to touch the gear lever. Just paddle to downshift, then after a while, the computer figures out to return the car to D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    So far that’s all I have done with it. So maybe that’s all it does!

• Options
    stickguy said:

So far that’s all I have done with it. So maybe that’s all it does!

The Outback does have a manual slot for the gear lever, so you have complete control over the transmission.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    I don’t think the TLX even has that. I should dig out the manual and look it up.

• Options
    stickguy said:

I don’t think the TLX even has that. I should dig out the manual and look it up.

Your shifter doesn't have a gate to the side, so you can manually do the paddle thing, but with the shift lever?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stickguy said:

Just like I should dig up the manual for the Outback and figure out how to set up the memory seats, since the wife and I will be sharing it soon.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

Your shifter doesn't have a gate to the side, so you can manually do the paddle thing, but with the shift lever?
    Nope. Unless they hid it!

• Options
    stickguy said:

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

Nope. Unless they hid it!
    No "Sport" mode? If you have that, it usually makes the paddles behave differently.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    There’s some sort of drive mode selector. I don’t bother with it.

• Options
    stickguy said:

There’s some sort of drive mode selector. I don’t bother with it.

On cars that I've had, when you are in Sport, it will hold the gear, and not revert to drive. Although different vehicles have different methods to handle "out of range" issues. Older cars would bounce off the rev limiter, holding the gear, while others would automatically upshift at red-line.

Almost all of them will act like a regular automatic, if you go too slow for the gear.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556
    Putting the TLX into Sport+ mode requires you to use the paddles. I personally have only used them a handful of times. For most of the driving I do around town I don't see the point.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    qbrozen said:

Paddles are no longer slower. Well, not all. The ZF trannies are instantaneous, as are the PDK. And, yes, this is all about getting around faster. If I just want the feel of a car, then I’ll get an old 110hp miata with manual steering and manual brakes. 

Exactly. Not sure which 20th-century paddles you guys are complaining about ;) I find shifting with paddles on a auto-manual way more fun because they are right there, where both my hands are while i'm twisting around twists.

• Options
    ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    kyfdx said:

Paddles. Get a new car with paddles.. play around with them for the first week. Then, never touch them again. (my experience)

3 years into my paddle-car, I was still paddling... haha
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    Used them all the time in my 135, CTS, and Stelvio. Almost never in my 330. Just the type
    of driving I do now I guess. I’m more about fuel economy lately. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    If' I had paddle shifters that didn't shift immediately, I'd throw the car off a cliff. Thankfully, I don't buy CVT paddle-shifted cars.

Audi mastered the dual clutch as of 2006.... with the '06 A3. 106,000 miles on that puppy before I sold it, and the next owner took it to over 150K miles.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    stickguy said:

They are faster than a human can operate a clutch---no argument from me there!

The point is--are you driving or are you steering?

might be relevant if you are driving flat out on a track. In normal driving, even the rare spirited back road type, I bet most people (including me) don't push the envelope to that extreme, so the fraction of a second difference is meaningless. But the tactile experience and sense of control isn't. ATs are IMO much more likely to spend time trying to hold a much too high gear, or hunting around for the right one, than they are to be snapping off powershifts at the redline.

They are more relaxing in stop and go traffic though. Not that lightning quick gear changes matter much in that use!
    Lighting quick gear changes probably help contribute to the superior fuel economy though.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    andres3 said:

If' I had paddle shifters that didn't shift immediately, I'd throw the car off a cliff. Thankfully, I don't buy CVT paddle-shifted cars.

Audi mastered the dual clutch as of 2006.... with the '06 A3. 106,000 miles on that puppy before I sold it, and the next owner took it to over 150K miles.

Anecdotal evidence is just that, anecdotal. And even if none of them blew up, that still wouldn't mean they had "mastered the dual clutch". If the driving experience was not what most of the owners wanted or expected, then you couldn't really say "mastered".
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    henryn said:

andres3 said:

Anecdotal evidence is just that, anecdotal. And even if none of them blew up, that still wouldn't mean they had "mastered the dual clutch". If the driving experience was not what most of the owners wanted or expected, then you couldn't really say "mastered".
    Well, I think the "satisfaction" rating for A3 owners was VERY high. Also, there's a lot of high-mile A3's running around, so they must have done something right.

I would say reviews were "mixed" on the DSG, but a well-trained and calibrated DSG worked wonders in my opinion. Yes, the transmissions were trainable,and had a "learning" computer "brain." It's important to note they work like a manual, not like an automatic. I personally like the mechanical feel, whereas some people call it a "lurch" upon stopping.
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited June 2019
    For 2020 there is going to be a special hand-built TLX with special paint from the NSX. Only 360 will be built. Honda guy Jason has the details and a tour....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aB1tbQSUuk
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    Awesome

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    That limited edition hand-built TLX seems like a strange duck. My guess is that slow sales of the NSX mean that their elite team of people building those supercars have some time on their hands? And so why not make a rare TLX for the heck of it? But TLX sales, along with most other sedans, are on the weak side at the moment. Could be one of these special vehicles might be had at a big discount at some point. With only 360 being made that's less than 1 vehicles per Acura dealer, isn't it?
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    Good to hear from you benjaminh

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Acura's entry-level ILX has had two major refreshes since it was introduced in 2013, but obviously that was a very long time ago. But compared to 2013 Acura added a lot of standard equipment (larger 2.4 engine standard, AcuraWatch, etc.) while cutting the price by a couple of thousand dollars. The bottom line is that you can get an Acura ILX starting at c. $27k compared to c. $10-15k or so more for the admittedly more prestigious entry-level luxury cars elsewhere. This guy Tyson Hugie got one of the first of the new 2013 ILXs, which he still has and which now has over 200,000 miles, and he does a short comparison with the 2019 ILX, which overall he likes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_AMPws3Fv0
  • Options
    Tyson Hugie is obviously very careful with his Acuras, but here's his summary of his maintenance costs after owning his 2013 ILX 7 years....

"The car has cost me $7,600 to maintain over the course of 215,000 miles. That includes 29 oil changes, 8 air filters, 2 sets of rear brake pads, 2 transmission fluid changes, and 4 sets of tires."

https://drivetofive.com/2019/06/26/platinum-white-pearlescence-2019-acura-ilx-a-spec-review/

That sounds pretty good to me.
  • Options
    that ILX was also the 2.4 engine with the manual trans. Not the normal 2.0t automatic.

• Options
    Yeah. Our TLX 2.4s are very similar to the one he has in that 2013 ILX. He doesn't mention spark plugs or a tune-up, but surely he's changed those after 215k miles?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    "Ben Says:
    June 30, 2019 at 7:27 pm
    For your 2013 ILX how many times have you changed the spark plugs after 215k miles?

tysonhugie Says:
    June 30, 2019 at 8:45 pm
    They’ve never been changed!"

Hmmm. So I guess Acura's platinum-tipped spark plugs with the 2.4 can last and last.....Although I don't think his engine is direct injected, which is the biggest change since 2013 with the 2.4 v-tech.
  • Options
    Wow, 200K on the original plugs? That's impressive, IMO.

I think at this point I'd be replacing them. That can't be a hard job on that car.

• Options
    Is the current 2.4 in the TLX a DI engine? I didn’t think it was. But, since I have one, I probably should know!

• Options
    Entry Level Luxury sales for June....
    compact:

Aclass 2,015

ILX 1,312 +47.1%

A3 831 -58%

CLA 573 -72.6%

2series 473 -18.4%

midsize:

3series 4,927 +38.7%

ES 4,350 +25.8%

Cclass 3,951 -31.2%

A4 2,292 -41%

Q50 2,042 -22.4%

TLX 1,812 -17.8%

G70 1,193

IS 1,560 -19.7%

Giulia 768 -22%
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    stickguy said:

Is the current 2.4 in the TLX a DI engine? I didn’t think it was. But, since I have one, I probably should know!

Yes, the TLX's 2.4 is direct injected....

https://acuranews.com/acura-automobiles/channels/tlx-press-kit/releases/2018-acura-tlx-press-kit-powertrain

2.4-Liter Engine i-VTEC® Valve Control System
    The TLX's direct-injected 2.4-liter DOHC 16-valve i-VTEC® engine uses an advanced valve-control system to combine high power output with high fuel efficiency and low emissions. The system combines VTC (Variable Timing Control), which continuously adjusts the intake camshaft phase, with Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC), which changes valve lift, timing and duration of the intake valves.

At low rpm, the VTEC intake valve timing and lift are optimized for high torque and low fuel consumption. As engine rpm builds past 4,900 rpm, the VTEC system transitions to a high-lift, long-duration intake cam profile for superior high-rpm engine power.

The "intelligent" portion of the system is its ability to continuously vary the timing of the intake cam relative to that of the exhaust camshaft. This helps boost power and also provides a smoother idle (allowing idle speed to be reduced). The intake cam timing is varied based on input from sensors that monitor rpm, timing, throttle opening, cam position and exhaust air-fuel ratio. The result is increased fuel efficiency and lower NOx emissions.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    On a recent 103 mile highway trip from Cincinnati to Louisville my 2018 Acura TLX 2.4 got 39 mpg. This was mostly on the Interstate with speeds usually about c. 60-75 with the AC on. Pretty good mpg for a luxury car. The 20 mpg below that was for a short city stop and go drive.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    Nice! My M235i averages around 32 mpg if I keep speeds between 75-80.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    I don't get 39 on the highway, but my city is better than 20. I think it's about 24-25. My daily commute and weekend errands (about 25-50% freeway, 25-50% slowish freeway or stuck in traffic, 25% city streets) bounces between 29 and 30 mpg. Premium of course.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    My city is usually c. 25-30 or so. That particular stop and go was a very short drive of just a few miles with an uphill section in Cincinnati.
  • Options

So, do you?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Sales of ELL cars last month....

A-class 2,619
    ILX 1,224 +34.4%
    2series 662 +4.4%
    CLA 609 -57.2%
    A3 522 -74%

ES 4,960 +4.6%
    C-class 3,449 -10.2%
    3series 3,392 +6.5%
    A4 2,579 -25%
    Q50 1,895 -20.9%
    TLX 1,761 -13.9%
    IS 1,331 -38.2%
    S60 1,081+31%
  • Options
    I really think more people should be buying the TLX.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    stickguy said:

I really think more people should be buying the TLX.

Agree. And so you like yours now?

The TLX is a really good car for the money. And for me the most impressive feature is maybe the standard 4-wheel steering, which is something that's optional on a Porsche that costs more than twice as much. The ELS stereo is also quite good.

On the other thread there's the quote for the Infiniti Q50 for $487 a month, and my guess is that for significantly less you could get a loaded V-6 TLX. With the incentives like they are now you can lease a TLX 2.4 for less than an Accord EXL.
  • Options
    yes, it is very nice. If you want something like this, in a larger size (by my standards) it is a really good option.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    Michaell said:

So, do you?
    I try, I really do...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

Michaell said:

So, do you?
    I try, I really do...
    You'd slow down if we put you into a 10 year old Camcord.

Unfortunately, you'd fall asleep and crash.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    On the other thread there's the quote for the Infiniti Q50 for $487 a month, and my guess is that for significantly less you could get a loaded V-6 TLX. With the incentives like they are now you can lease a TLX 2.4 for less than an Accord EXL.

That 487 is first pencil with zero negotiation ... I am sure that can be 410-425 with some haggling. In all reality for a not too savvy shopper it comes pretty close to the 1% rule and I'd bet many people would sign the deal.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the TLX or the Q50. The TLX is certainly roomier inside, but also FWD biased versus the Infiniti's RWD.

The Infiniti drove wonderfully and I feel I could get into some serious trouble with it. The 400HP version must be a total beast.