Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Question about selling a classic Pontiac.

Sheldon4710Sheldon4710 Member Posts: 3
edited May 2019 in Pontiac
Hi all! I'm new here.

I'm trying to help my brother-in-law who is not a computer user.

He wants to sell his Pontiac 2005 GTO. It's fully loaded; mint condition; Corvette engine; 400 HP; auto transmission; limited production car; 8100 miles; red with black interior; chrome rims; garage store; purchased in 2005 off showroom floor.

He lives outside of Tampa, FL. Can anyone give me any advice on the best way of going about advertising this car for sale? Also, what might the value be?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
:smile3:

Best Answer

Answers

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,109
    We'll see if @Mr_Shiftright has an opinion on this.

The automatic is not going to help the value. Being a 2005 with the horsepower bump, and the low miles will help.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Sheldon4710Sheldon4710 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your comment; however, I'm still looking for advice on the best way to sell a car like this located in Tampa and also what the value might be.
  • Laker21Laker21 Member Posts: 9

To find the value you're going to have to find comparable vehicles. I suggest scanning the internet looking especially for Hemmings listings of used vehicles. I also suggest going to meetings of GTO groups. There are GTO groups all over the country, so you surely have one nearby. Talk to different folks in the group to see what they think about value. Remember, they may have their own reason for undervaluing or over valuing the vehicle in what they tell you.

Your best bet would be to consult a professional who does valuations of reasonably rare vehicles. Maybe someone here can suggest somebody.

Otherwise, any of us can have an opinion on the value and why it's not as good as another similar but differently equipped GTO. The advantage of bumping elbows witha GTO group, is someone there may know someone or may themselves be interested in the vehicle. Be clear, their valuations may not be fair if they have an interest in buying and saving money.

If you can't put in that time and effort to try to determine a true value and use that to advertise and negotiate, you're just going to wing it on your own.

There is a forum on edmunds where you may find some better help:
    https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/5685108#Comment_5685108page

Real world trade in values

I inherited a 2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 i V8 16V from my dad, but I don't know much about the car market. I've been browsing the various sites on the internet to compare prices with each other. And for me it was very confusing the point that prices differ greatly (I chose vehicles as similar to the characteristics, year of manufacture and mileage). Would it be all right to choose a dozen of these cars and make an average price?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,944
    look at results on bringatrailer and carsandbids. If yours is nice and reasonable miles, you might consider listing on one of those.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S