Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    from reading a number of comparison tests recently, it really seems that the only 2 good choices are the Ridgeline (if you really need a big car or midsize SUV, but want a bed and some utitlity), or a Colorado (if you want an actual truck that also does a good job serving as an everyday car). The latest comparison I don't think even bothered to include the Taco.

Mostly what I remember from sitting in them is how flat on the floor you are. Not a comfy seating position.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

browsing the listings, found this tightwad special, and thought of xwesx. Not very used for a modest price. should get a lot of cheap years for chump change.

https://www.eimports4less.com/details-2018-chevrolet-cruze-certified_cruze_ls_6_speed_manual_trans_camera-used-1g1bb5sm3j7153618.html

and something that I kinda like.

https://www.eimports4less.com/details-2016-bmw-x1-certified_x1_xdrive28i_awd_premium_x_line_nav_cam_pano-used-wbxht3c34gp880139.html

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    stickguy said:
    Mostly what I remember from sitting in them is how flat on the floor you are. Not a comfy seating position.
    After my experience with the Mustang, that would nix it for me. 
    nyc, if the goal is to pull equity out of the Q40, couldn't you just refinance it?

On another note, I have the one friend who is on his third 4Runner. Has had a Honda, Saab, and Subaru, as well, and now wants nothing other than 4Runners (but might consider a Lexus). 

My neighbor who had an Xterra also just traded it for a 4Runner. Turns out she had a 4Runner before the Xterra and regretted making the trade. 
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    mjfloyd1 said:

??? “when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor”???  History re-written 

Forget it... he's rolling.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    @corvette - I don’t want to refinance with less than a year to go at 0.99% APR that I’m paying on the Q40.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Test drive the Tacoma, then go immediately and test drive an F150 with the ecoboost. You will then throw rocks (big ones) at the Taco.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    edited May 2019
    There are worse things than doing a cash out refi, although you’d lose that great rate. You can always pay it off early. I actually rearranged some things and sent my bank a large chunk of change to pay down the G37 a couple days ago. 

I second the suggestion for the F-150, as I think they lease well, although if my memory is correct, parking might be a concern at your work. 
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    henryn said:
    Test drive the Tacoma, then go immediately and test drive an F150 with the ecoboost. You will then throw rocks (big ones) at the Taco.
    I like the F150 for sure.  I’m sure they drive much better than the Tacoma.  They should for their close to $50K sticker price.  The 2 issues are that they don’t have that high 70% residual value after 2 years & I have to park it on the street at work.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

one of the car mags this month did a test of the big 3 half tons. Dodge won. No clue of course about how leases compare, but from everything I have read the Ram or F150 is going to be way more comfy for commuting. And probably get comparable mileage. But yes, need a couple feet more in a parking space! At least you aren't trying to put it in a parking garage.

I know that a couple months ago Honcker had some screaming deals on loaded leftover Rams (the old style). Still nice, and if you are looking at Tacomas, you obviously don't mind cars designed in the 90s.

what about a Colorado? Do they lease well? Same basic dimensions, probably better driving.

anyway, I speak from (recent) personal experience that you need to drive and love the car first, before worrying about the deal. Deal first, leads to trouble!

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I think @breld captured it best in his post above, the Tacoma may not win against the other trucks in comparison tests but the character and the experience of driving the Tacoma are big pluses for me. I drove the Canyon a while back and didn't find it any better or worse than the Tacoma, save for the check engine light that came on at 6 miles while test driving it. The GM twins aren't available with a sunroof which was a must have for me, and the interior isn't as nice as the Tacoma. Granted the Rdigeline has a better interior, if they added the front end from the Passport to it I think it would be more appealing. However none of these lease as well as the Tacoma thanks to the high residuals. Given how well the Tacoma leases compared to other trucks in the segment it makes a very compelling choice and for a 24 month lease it's a great way to have a truck for a couple of years.

I actually have a 46 mile round trip commute to work and 90% of it is interstate/highway travel. The V6 is adequate, certainly not a powerhouse but I don't have any complaints on the power it offers. The ride for me is fine, I've taken it on a couple of trips as well and find it comfortable and enjoyable.

I'm 6 months into my lease and it just turned 5,300 miles yesterday and I'm happy with the truck. Having the C30 as a second option probably helps, but overall I'm much happier in the Tacoma than I was with the TDI Touareg. I told @breld at the auto show that initially I wondered if the novelty of having a truck would wear off but was pleased that it hasn't.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    I’ve learned from experience that offering a contrary opinion of a vehicle someone is in love with in a forum like this is not much different than offering a buddy some advice on their choice of a girlfriend. It seldom ends well so it’s best to remain quiet.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

stickguy said:

one of the car mags this month did a test of the big 3 half tons. Dodge won.

C&D came to the same conclusion in December. The Ram won despite having the worst powertrain. IIRC, the interior is best in class, and the ride quality is better due to the independent rear suspension.
    jpp75 said:

The V6 is adequate, certainly not a powerhouse but I don't have any complaints on the power it offers. The ride for me is fine, I've taken it on a couple of trips as well and find it comfortable and enjoyable.

That's pretty much my assessment of the Xterra I rented in Austin, TX a few years back. I know it wasn't best in class, but it did everything I asked it to do. My only complaint was that it had a vibration above 85 MPH on the desolate, 85 MPH-posted, toll road I drove on.
    edited May 2019
    So, what is the deal with Honda's A/C condensors? This was a huge issue on CR-Vs, where they were extremely vulnerable to road debris, and it appears to be an issue on the Insight, as well. Can't they put some chicken wire or something in front of the fins?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    stickguy said:

browsing the listings, found this tightwad special, and thought of xwesx. Not very used for a modest price. should get a lot of cheap years for chump change.

https://www.eimports4less.com/details-2018-chevrolet-cruze-certified_cruze_ls_6_speed_manual_trans_camera-used-1g1bb5sm3j7153618.html

Nice! Needs to be a diesel, though. Pass. :p

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    corvette said:

So, what is the deal with Honda's A/C condensors? This was a huge issue on CR-Vs, where they were extremely vulnerable to road debris, and it appears to be an issue on the Insight, as well. Can't they put some chicken wire or something in front of the fins?

When the current Accord was introduced 18 months or so back that was one of the things I noticed and commented upon. The AC condenser stuck out like a sore thumb behind the lower front opening and seemed totally unprotected. Not a great design. Seems like "value engineering" (i.e. cheapening up production costs) to me.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    I saw if you want it, go for it! Sometimes you have to get something out of your system. Deal looks solid enough and you’ve got options with the equity.

No it won’t be great on gas, but its not like he’s coming from a Prius. The seating position is a little flat but in my 95 that only came into play on road trips. Around town it was fine. I think my commute at the time was 30 miles and it was fine. But I took it out of town a couple of times and it was tough. But having a truck around would be nice.

I don’t need to look, I don’t need to look, I don’t need to look.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

This is an interesting article from the Detroit Free Press about cars that get dumped most often within the first year:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2019/05/11/mercedes-bmw-audi-porsche-nissan/1161446001/

The Versa Note, Audi Q3, A3 and A4, and Jaguar XF led the list in Detroit. Nationally it was slightly different:

Mercedes-Benz C-class, 12.4%
    BMW 3-Series, 11.8%
    Land Rover Discovery Sport, 11.8%
    Land Rover Range Rover Evoque 10.9%
    Mini Clubman, 10.7%
    BMW X1, 10.4%
    BMW X3, 9%
    Nissan Versa Note, 9%
    Jaguar XF, 8.8%
    Nissan Versa, 8.7%

Looking at brands overall and not individual models, it looks like this:

BMW, 7.9%
    Porsche, 7.6%
    Mercedes, 7.4%
    Land Rover, 6.5%
    Jaguar, 6.4%
    Mini, 6.2%
    Fiat, 5.2%
    Audi, 5.1%
    Nissan, 5.0%
    Infiniti, 4.7%

Pickups have their own numbers but the top 3 are all from one brand:

Nissan Titan XD, 7.9%
    Nissan Titan, 7.6%
    Nissan Frontier, 5.3%

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    ab348 said:

I’ve learned from experience that offering a contrary opinion of a vehicle someone is in love with in a forum like this is not much different than offering a buddy some advice on their choice of a girlfriend. It seldom ends well so it’s best to remain quiet.

Well... I own a Tacoma. If I dated that girl, previously, I would be remiss to not point out issues. :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Usually it’s a 2% drop to 15k. Then after that you’re just prepaying the mileage, possibly at a discount, but figure 6000 additional miles at $.20/mile takes it down another 2%. 

$1200 is close to another 3% drop in residual. Those extra miles really hurt, if they are charged per/mile.

Ford offers an 18K/yr allowance, for a 2% drop over 15K/yr. Much more lease friendly.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    corvette said:
    Interesting it is still a problem. We had that issue on our ‘03 Pilot. After replacing it, I installed mesh in front of it. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
     Agreed on the above, you can state your opinion, but if someone likes a pretty killer model or brand it won’t matter what you tell them you’re not worth arguing everyone likes what they like, dislikes what they dislike with anything in life women whatever. Ha ha ha 
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    tifighter said:

Go test drive a Model 3 for fun. Let me know if you need a referral code ;)

Just drove one yesterday for about an hour. Drilled through every menu. I now know things that even Tesla owners don't know.
    the exposed condensor was a big issue when the 2005 restyled Odyssey came out. There were many threads about putting mesh in there. I never did. Later model years added a grill from the factory.

maybe on the CRV it is a ploy to distract you from the gas in your oil?

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497

tifighter said:

Just drove one yesterday for about an hour. Drilled through every menu. I now know things that even Tesla owners don't know.

And.....?

Nice article posted above add 348. From the Detroit Free Press. 
     Agree with everyone else in here, New York car guy, going to test drive the Tacoma and whatever else would be interested in first, then once you narrow it down to which truck or whatever it is you like the best then work on the deal with multiple dealers or a single dealer of your choice. 
     Stick guy, they still make the old version of the ram, they call it the ram 1500 classic if I’m remembering correctly. 
     Soon the next few weeks I have to go to the storage lot over here, where they keep multiple car brands and walk around and start things up again just cause I can. Haven’t been there in a couple of months. Get to start up a Ranger then to without anyone bothering me. 
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Michaell said:

I saw dire straits in concert when I was in college. Quite the fantastic show, though I’d hoped they would have played “Telegraph Road” as an encore. 

I also enjoy Mark Knopflers solo music - he wrote a song about Indy Cars (“Speedway at Nazareth”)

ab348 said:

I saw Dire Straits in concert around 1992 on their "On Every Street" tour. They did play Telegraph Road. It was an outstanding show. Setlist here: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dire-straits/1992/halifax-metro-centre-halifax-ns-canada-3d9656f.html

I have long been a big fan of Chrissie Hynde and the Pretenders. She had such a unique way of singing a line. I like this cut:

https://youtu.be/99svrFj-G_g

@Michaell..one of my favorite songs.....Telegraph Road.

Some BoDeens...

https://youtu.be/t2rjoI-FiZw
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    That's quite interesting, as I expect it to be financially insane to break a lease after a year, or dump a car after 12 payments (of the typical 72 these days). I wonder if those were all retail sales - as a number of those models are seen frequently in the "prestige" section of rental fleets. I couldn't find specific data from the source site, but I didn't look with a magnifying glass.
    ab348 said:

This is an interesting article from the Detroit Free Press about cars that get dumped most often within the first year:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2019/05/11/mercedes-bmw-audi-porsche-nissan/1161446001/

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    I see Tacomas like Jeeps and their cousin the 4Runner - they seem to be a lifestyle vehicle with an enthusiastic cult who tolerates the shortcomings for various positives. If someone wants one, they should go for it. Immense resale value or good leases makes it a low risk. Just like with a Jeep, not my kind of thing as I like a little more refinement and I have lo legit need for a truck, but being here in the land of Subarus (with Jeeps and Tacos being maybe tied for 2nd in the lifestyle vehicle category), I get it.
    jpp75 said:

I think @breld captured it best in his post above, the Tacoma may not win against the other trucks in comparison tests but the character and the experience of driving the Tacoma are big pluses for me. Having the C30 as a second option probably helps, but overall I'm much happier in the Tacoma than I was with the TDI Touareg. I told @breld at the auto show that initially I wondered if the novelty of having a truck would wear off but was pleased that it hasn't.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    carnaught said:

tifighter said:

And.....?

Well some plusses and some minuses, but nothing extraordinary either way.

Acceleration was strong but I already drive a semi-fast car, so it didn't feel much different to me in terms of power. The handling was good, at least in normal driving, no rattles, pretty quiet. All the controls were quite responsive once I got the hang of those STUPID thumbwheels. Those really gotta go, Elon.

Fit and finish looked fine to me for the price point.

Interior is neat and tidy, rather spartan. Better than a rental car, surely, but you're no Lexus, Model 3.

The ride was a bit jittery. The car has an unusual motion to the suspension, and someone in back did complain that they were feeling a bit queasy. I was driving smoothly enough, and the road wasn't twisty, so I don't know if the spring rates are just unusual, or if low center of gravity has something to do with it---or what's going on with that. But the car felt a little nervous. Maybe they ate too many tacos.

Heat and AC were excellent. The touchscreen had crisp response, although having to do everything through the screen would be an immediate deal-breaker for me, no matter what car it was. But that's just me, it's not a fault per se.

The autonomous driving feature was.....interesting...but it constantly reminds you to touch the wheel, and if you touch it/move it too strongly, it kicks you out of autonomous mode. Getting back in is very easy, though, just two firm clicks downward on the stalk. The car steered and braked itself pretty competently, although it was a bit cautious and a little tentative. You just can't beat the decision-making power of a human brain, even if you can beat the speed of execution. Autonomous driving won't work once you exit the off-ramps. If you try it, you may blow through stop signs or red lights. Not recommended.

Plenty of room inside, and I felt quite comfortable driving it, for a big fellah.

Back seat is a bit tight, but this is, no matter what Tesla says, an intermediate car. It's not a full size sedan.

"Fun" factor for the likes of me (admittedly, an extremist) was MEH--I'm not a gadget-freak and I miss the shifting, the visceral vibrations, the noise, the smells--all of it is gone, gone, gone. It's a perfectly lovely commuter car though.

Would I buy one? No. Would I take one if you gave it to me and told me I had to keep it for 3 years? Yes.

As long as I could have another car.

To be fair, the Model 3 is the equal or approximate of any automatic transmission near-lux car in that price point (Infiniti Q50). It's not a sports car and by my standards, not a sport sedan either but it's pleasant and interesting and aside from some of the ergonomics, is very easy to drive.

I spent a lot of time with the car and now I know how to do things that even Tesla owners don't know, like the "easy-entry" activation and how to turn the heated mirrors on and off.

I also learned that the Model 3 has front and rear trunk cargo weight limits--that's interesting.

I priced out the absolute stripper model, but chose a $1000 color option, and if I ordered before July 1 my MSRP would be $40,000, less a diminished tax break and California rebate. If I order after July 1, I think the tax break is gone. If you want autonomous driving features (full features) that's another $6,000, and then there are more options on the list. You can run a Model 3 up to $60K I think.

Personally, I'd rather have the S.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    Which model did you drive?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I like the Raptor; but I'd consider driving any other full-size pickup the automotive equivalent of a root canal.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    fintail said:
    That's quite interesting, as I expect it to be financially insane to break a lease after a year, or dump a car after 12 payments (of the typical 72 these days). I wonder if those were all retail sales - as a number of those models are seen frequently in the "prestige" section of rental fleets. I couldn't find specific data from the source site, but I didn't look with a magnifying glass.
    This is an interesting article from the Detroit Free Press about cars that get dumped most often within the first year: https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2019/05/11/mercedes-bmw-audi-porsche-nissan/1161446001/
    Cost me nothing to sell my Stelvio just 4 mos into its lease. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    @Mr_Shiftright, nice review. Thanks!
    corvette said:

stickguy said:

one of the car mags this month did a test of the big 3 half tons. Dodge won.

C&D came to the same conclusion in December. The Ram won despite having the worst powertrain. IIRC, the interior is best in class, and the ride quality is better due to the independent rear suspension.
    The Subaru dealer is attached to, but in a separate facilty, a CDJR dealer. Strolled the lot while in for service and can agree the the Ram is really nice looking and the interior is amazing. Can't speak to the quality of the materials but it looks really nice.

edited May 2019
    ab348 said:

The Versa Note, Audi Q3, A3 and A4, and Jaguar XF led the list in Detroit. Nationally it was slightly different:

BMW 3-Series, 11.8%
    Mini Clubman, 10.7%
    BMW X1, 10.4%
    BMW X3, 9%
    Nissan Versa Note, 9%
    Jaguar XF, 8.8%
    Nissan Versa, 8.7%

BMW, 7.9%
    Porsche, 7.6%
    Mercedes, 7.4%
    Land Rover, 6.5%
    Jaguar, 6.4%
    Mini, 6.2%
    Fiat, 5.2%
    Audi, 5.1%
    Nissan, 5.0%
    Infiniti, 4.7%

Nissan Titan XD, 7.9%
    Nissan Titan, 7.6%
    Nissan Frontier, 5.3%

Repo's?? Or dumping them just before a repo?

au1994 said:

ab348 said:

BMW 3-Series, 11.8%
    Mini Clubman, 10.7%
    BMW X1, 10.4%
    BMW X3, 9%
    Nissan Versa Note, 9%
    Jaguar XF, 8.8%
    Nissan Versa, 8.7%

BMW, 7.9%
    Porsche, 7.6%
    Mercedes, 7.4%
    Land Rover, 6.5%
    Jaguar, 6.4%
    Mini, 6.2%
    Fiat, 5.2%
    Audi, 5.1%
    Nissan, 5.0%
    Infiniti, 4.7%

Nissan Titan XD, 7.9%
    Nissan Titan, 7.6%
    Nissan Frontier, 5.3%

Repo's??
    I'll guess a lot of those luxury models are service loaners or "executive" demos. In other words, I question their methodology. (except for Fiat.. lol)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

au1994 said:

Repo's??

I went back to the original source article cited and now I think the data and conclusions are questionable. They dance around the issue of service loaners for the high-end German makes, and their criteria are to eliminate vehicles that were registered as sold while showing less than 1000 miles. I suspect most service loaners are registered with the DMV and rack up more than that mileage by the time they get sold so they get included in these stats. But those would not satisfy the intent of the analysis of being a vehicle that was dumped by an owner. They do not touch on the repo issue at all that I could see which may also distort their conclusions.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    At my dealer loaners were usually not offered for sale until they had accumulated at least 5,000 miles. We usually had around 20 or more in the loaner fleet. 

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Around here 4,500-5,000 miles seems most common. Keeps them under the 6k cutoff where they can’t be leased as new any longer.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    I think the cutoff is 5K for BMW's. They can still be leased albeit with no factory support so you need a much higher discount to compensate for lack of incentives and a lower RV.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    @nyccarguy - Did I miss the date for the test drive on the Tacoma? Looking forward to your impressions. They have some great colors on that truck. What are you considering?

@nyccarguy might be getting a Tacoma and a friend whom I helped get one told me yesterday afternoon he wants out of his. He said the truck feels strained pulling his trailer loaded up with lawn equipment and other tools in the bed and he wants more room inside and in the bed. So he has me on the hunt for a Tundra Crewmax with the large V8.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    pensfan83 said:

@nyccarguy might be getting a Tacoma and a friend whom I helped get one told me yesterday afternoon he wants out of his. He said the truck feels strained pulling his trailer loaded up with lawn equipment and other tools in the bed and he wants more room inside and in the bed. So he has me on the hunt for a Tundra Crewmax with the large V8.

You should send him to the guy in Eastern PA. Won't do better and well worth the 5 hour drive from PGH.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    Yep, none of the dealers here can or will come close to those payments. For 24/12 he would be under $300/month on a $48K truck.

When he leased it in January 2018 the every dealer in Pittsburgh was $60-$70/month higher. I expect his Tacoma, manual and all, to go quickly.