Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,660

I bought a '13 Jaguar XF. After one year, I kept it. Damn the statistics, full speed ahead!

I admire your bravery. What steps
    stickguy said:

“Farmer, I’ll be right around the corner from Mohawk this weekend. Maybe I should pop in and grill them!”

I don’t know, you might end up driving home in a new Civic. ;) If you get over there you might as well take a look at the air museum across the street. They have some nice old jets.

First I heard about an aviation museum. But I haven’t been up state street in many, many years.
    https://www.esam.org/

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    edited May 2019
    When I was in Ohio over the weekend, saw a green Jag 2 door convertible, plate was 'GAMBLED'. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    stickguy said:

I have used Lowes more recently with no issues. But at this point prefer a local mom and pop appliance shop, even if it costs an extra $50 (and it doesn't always).

For appliances I'd use either Costco or local chain called Famous Tate. I only bought water heater from Lowes, as those two didn't have it at that time. Costco's selections still isn't that great and they peddle LG too much, after my dishwasher disaster it's off my list for the next 5-10 years. I ended up getting Bosch dishwasher from Famous Tate, even though Costco was really good in making LG buy that POS back. After reading all those test results in Consumer Reports, I knew there was nothing for me but Bosch, and Costco didn't have it. BTW, so far so good, the dishwasher works just great - quiet, effective, even dries well, despite some earlier complaints. I think Bosch improved it and also educated salespeople to set expectations at correct levels (plastics will remain wet, as Bosch does not "cook" its dishes) and stress proper procedure to get best results on things that will be dried well.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    stickguy said:
    I have used Lowes more recently with no issues. But at this point prefer a local mom and pop appliance shop, even if it costs an extra $50 (and it doesn't always).
    I bought from Home Depot but didn’t have them delivered or installed so I guess that doesn’t count. 

We have a great privately owned appliance store right up the road and they matched HD’s OTD price when I used them.   They don’t charge for delivery but HD does.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    Johnnies I assume. that is where I got our fridge a few years ago, and will go back when I next need an appliance.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    Yes. Good people. They stepped up when my Maytag washer fried it’s circuit board in the first week and was on back order. They replaced the machine immediately.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,874
    Evidently there is a shortage of type O blood, especially O negative. The Red Cross is even offering gift cards and t-shirts. Even though they seem to cry wolf a lot, this time it appears true.

Anyway...since I am O -, I looked up when the donation center is open in my town. It's on Tuesdays from noon to 6 pm! That's it! No wonder there is a shortage.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,731
    Donate blood regularly, you get free cookies. I'm working on my 10 gallon pin.
    Close to 8 years of Jag ownership, for you doubting Terry-Thomas', and only one big electronic issue; covered under warranty with loaner car. No issues out of warranty. Not a perfect car, but my experience allows me to recommend Jag! YMMV.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    venture said:

Evidently there is a shortage of type O blood, especially O negative. The Red Cross is even offering gift cards and t-shirts. Even though they seem to cry wolf a lot, this time it appears true.

Anyway...since I am O -, I looked up when the donation center is open in my town. It's on Tuesdays from noon to 6 pm! That's it! No wonder there is a shortage.

O- is always in short supply as it can be used by anyone (the universal donor) but people with O- can ONLY use O- blood if they need it. My daughter is O- and was a regular donor for many years partially in gratitude for the blood transfusions I received before and during my transplant. It’s a great gift if you can be a donor.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    suydam said:

venture said:

O- is always in short supply as it can be used by anyone (the universal donor) but people with O- can ONLY use O- blood if they need it. My daughter is O- and was a regular donor for many years partially in gratitude for the blood transfusions I received before and during my transplant. It’s a great gift if you can be a donor.
    I donate occasionally; not nearly enough. My wife used to donate when she was able timewise. Our local Red Cross didn't treat her with much respect and she slowly stopped donating - a shame.

We are both O- so, naturally, our kids are too. I used to occasionally get a phone call to go donate. I haven't had a call for many years. Our local unit is sort of a mess.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    edited May 2019
    I LIKE to donate, but the nonstop harassment calls in between donations was too much for me, so I told them to never call me again. 

If/when I go again, I’ll have to give a fake number.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    A class-action settlement in Canada for Ford Focus and Fiesta owners with troublesome Powershift automatic transmissions:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/ford-fiesta-focus-class-action-settlement-canada-1.5131270

The story notes that there has also been litigation in the US and Australia. Remarkable how Ford left this thing fester for so long. Perhaps they deemed it unfixable internally. One wonders how it made it through the development and testing process.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

qbrozen said:

I LIKE to donate, but the nonstop harassment calls in between donations was too much for me, so I told them to never call me again. 

If/when I go again, I’ll have to give a fake number.

There has to be a happy medium in there somewhere.

I don't blame you.

ab348 said:

A class-action settlement in Canada for Ford Focus and Fiesta owners with troublesome Powershift automatic transmissions:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/ford-fiesta-focus-class-action-settlement-canada-1.5131270

The story notes that there has also been litigation in the US and Australia. Remarkable how Ford left this thing fester for so long. Perhaps they deemed it unfixable internally. One wonders how it made it through the development and testing process.

The only Focus I drove that had a glitchy transmission was an older 2015 lease return but I would have been POed if it were mine. It bucked and hesitated on launch. Really annoying. 2017+ didn’t seem to have that problem.

I too wonder how a problem like that could make it to market without someone raising a flag.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    ab348 said:

It has been a problem in the US too. Ford is trying to find a cure, and has a few excuses (it is really a manual transmission so drive it a little differently) but a lot of people are getting cars that jump and hesitate.
    https://youtu.be/YnJ03nHvoFg

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Is Scotty bipolar?

I don't know but did you see when he opens his garage door? Not sure about bipolar, but definitely a hoarder!

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    My son’s Fiesta had that same issue with his previous Fiesta. He became so frustrated bringing it in to the dealership, he finally gave up and bought his GTI, which he’s been extremely pleased with.

I believe it was cheaper for Ford to keep dragging their feet on it than to replace it with a “normal” transmission and the associated cost of that. The issue really was terrible. It would wind out, clunk, shift hard, surge....just a whole host of issues. When my son first bought the car, the dealer said it was a “learning transmission” and would smooth out once he drove it a little more. If anything, it became worse.

I told him I’d walk him through the “lemon law” buyback (which he most certainly would have won), but he saw how much and how long it took me to do that and decided just to dump it and take the loss. He only had it 2-3 years.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    The 2019 I just rented was not a great car, but the tranny worked just fine. I assume it’s a different design at this point.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,390
    My sister's old 2013 Focus (now in my Dad's custody) has the powershift tranny. It's blown up twice during ownership but seems to be holding it's own for now. Truly an awful design.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    GREAT looking MB S550?
    https://youtu.be/M9Y3MTrThK8
    edited May 2019
    I wished our MB loaner car delivery person looked like that! He’s a great “old guy” & all...BUT...
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,557

ruking1 said:

GREAT looking MB S550?
    https://youtu.be/M9Y3MTrThK8

Dual airbags?
    Yes, front and rear.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    You guys are a bunch of sexist pigs. Terrible, I say, terrible! B)

With that said, the car was pretty nice too. Forgive my failing memory, isn't @abacomike driving an S class these days?
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    edited May 2019
    henryn said:

With that said, the car was pretty nice too. Forgive my failing memory, isn't @abacomike driving an S class these days?

I just appreciate FINE MB’s! But then, find presentation doesn’t hurt either.

Yes! That was the real reason for the posting.

The leather seats on a fine MB with only app 15k miles seems to be showing WEAR. I think this is another reason why I like the “MB tex” vinyl type upholsteries. I’ve seen 120,000 miles, 82,,000 miles, 65,000 miles on vinyl upholstery & it’s not too much different from new.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I'll go with the red ;)
    henryn said:

Yes, @abacomike has an S-Class (S-450, I think). With the problems he has with the parking space at his condo he just might need a chauffeur like that young lady in the pic we just saw. I'd pay double or even triple dues prices to hear him report on some shopping trips she'd be taking him on. Maybe we could all pitch in so he could get a chauffeur like her. Our pay off would be well worth it. Sign me up right now. ;)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Hey, maybe I'm just not a Mercedes person :o
    berri said:

Hey, maybe I'm just not a Mercedes person :o

No problem, @driver100 can convince you that you are. :o

jmonroe
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    15K FL miles is probably like 100K sane world miles. That being said, I didn't notice any worrisome wear, but most people fail to remember to maintain leather.

I am with you about MB Tex, it wears like iron, just keep it clean and it barely ages, one can find junkyard MBs with clean interiors.
    ruking1 said:

The leather seats on a fine MB with only app 15k miles seems to be showing WEAR. I think this is another reason why I like the “MB tex” vinyl type upholsteries. I’ve seen 120,000 miles, 82,,000 miles, 65,000 miles on vinyl upholstery & it’s not too much different from new.

fintail said:

15K FL miles is probably like 100K sane world miles. That being said, I didn't notice any worrisome wear, but most people fail to remember to maintain leather.

I am with you about MB Tex, it wears like iron, just keep it clean and it barely ages, one can find junkyard MBs with clean interiors.

ruking1 said:

Yes, it’s really hard to tell if at 15,000 miles if the 2015 MB S550 has had some to any leather care. The (my) schedule has always been every quarter, six months, leather care is in order. @ Every car wash, a soapy water wipe & clear water rinse is in order.
    ruking1 said:

fintail said:

ruking1 said:

Yes, it’s really hard to tell if at 15,000 miles if the 2015 MB S550 has had some to any leather care. The (my) schedule has always been every quarter, six months, leather care is in order. @ Every car wash, a soapy water wipe & clear water rinse is in order.
    "every car wash" ?? You're forgetting, many people do not wash their cars. Or at best, very infrequently. My cars are washed probably twice a month on average, but I am not the norm.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    My blood is AB positive. It's not very versatile for transfusions for others, but I can receive blood from several other blood types, if I understand how this works.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Car washing season here starts once the pollen is done in the spring and ends when we start getting (technical term alert) yucky weather in late Sept/early Oct. Right now we have the pollen and if I wanted the cars clean, I could wash every #^%@#$ day. We're into bugs now too... SO glad I don't have a black car right now
    Boy the hits keep coming for Ford. Now I’m hearing they have to recall a bunch of Fusions because some cable in the tranny can fail allowing people to remove the key while still in gear allowing the car to roll away.

My 97’ Chrysler had a recall for the same thing but I never got it fixed because I’m not, you know, stupid. I always put my cars in park before I turn off the engine. Unfortunately one of my son’s friends was less intelligent and knocked the car in gear while parked and it rolled into his garage door. In retrospect I should have got it fixed.

edited May 2019
    berri
    Hey, maybe I'm just not a Mercedes person

No problem, @driver100 can convince you that you are. :o

jmonro

Don't knock it until you have tried it.

Boy the hits keep coming for Ford. Now I’m hearing they have to recall a bunch of Fusions because some cable in the tranny can fail allowing people to remove the key while still in gear allowing the car to roll away.

My 97’ Chrysler had a recall for the same thing but I never got it fixed because I’m not, you know, stupid. I always put my cars in park before I turn off the engine. Unfortunately one of my son’s friends was less intelligent and knocked the car in gear while parked and it rolled into his garage door. In retrospect I should have got it fixed.

Always drive defensively.

Like I was taught, think of the stupidest thing the other guy can do, and then be prepared, because he will probably do it.

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited May 2019

How was that even possible? I thought all older style automatics prevented the key removal if the shifter was on park, or in case of new ones with electronic shifters, they set to park automatically after ignition is turned off. I know mine does. Or was it there, but it malfunctioned?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    henryn said:
    You guys are a bunch of sexist pigs. Terrible, I say, terrible! B) With that said, the car was pretty nice too. Forgive my failing memory, isn't @abacomike driving an S class these days?
    If I had the “dual airbags lady” delivering my S Class to me after service, I would have an oil change on my car every month and put a new battery in my key fob once a week.  I would love developing a closer relationship with my MB dealer if I had a delivery like that.  :DB)

2021 Genesis G90

My blood is AB positive. It's not very versatile for transfusions for others, but I can receive blood from several other blood types, if I understand how this works.

AB is the universal recipient and O- is the universal donor from what I understand. Mine is O-. Yours is better to have. :smile:

edited May 2019
    henryn said:

ruking1 said:

fintail said:

ruking1 said:

"every car wash" ?? You're forgetting, many people do not wash their cars. Or at best, very infrequently. My cars are washed probably twice a month on average, but I am not the norm.

No, because what makes me think that someone is going to wash the insides, when they’re not even going to wash the outside or vice versa?
    dino001 said:

How was that even possible? I thought all older style automatics prevented the key removal if the shifter was on park, or in case of new ones with electronic shifters, they set to park automatically after ignition is turned off. I know mine does. Or was it there, but it malfunctioned?
    Can’t speak for the current Ford problem but late 90s Chrysler’s had a plastic part that would wear out allowing the gear lever to be moved at any time. Even if the steering column was locked the shifter could be moved.

Back in the 60s every car could do that. I remember a bunch of jokers going to their friend’s house across the street one night and pulling the shift lever into neutral and rolling his Buick into the road. Caused a lot of commotion as cars started honking at the apparently abandoned vehicle sideways in the street.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    I would condition the seats in my leather cars every 3-6 months. But now both of my cars are Tex, so just a quick wipe here and there, maybe a tougher one now and then for denim rubs on the driver's seat. Couldn't be easier. Leather is nice, but it isn't a big deal for me, I'd choose other toys over it.
    ruking1 said:

edited May 2019
    I have a question someone may know. The 2015 GLK is off of warranty :s , so we now pay for the maintenance. It is 4 years old and it has 18000 miles on it. Would you do the full "B" service as recommended every 2 years or 20000 miles ($700 CDN)?;

Mercedes-Benz B-Service

The B-Service first visit is at approximately 20,000 miles or 1 year after the previous service. The exact time is determined by the vehicle's Flexible Service System.

Then it is typically every 20,000 miles or 2 years (approximately). This is for model year 2009 and newer. Please see service advisor for all Mercedes-Benz B-Service specifics.

Services Performed:
    Synthetic Motor Oil Replacement
    Oil Filter Replacement
    Cabin Dust/Combination Filter Replacement
    Brake Fluid Exchange
    All Fluid Level Checks & Corrections Are Dependent On Factory-Recommended Service Intervals For Your Vehicle's Year & Model.
    Tire Inflation Check & Correction
    Brake Component Inspection
    Reset Maintenance Counter

Is there anything you could really leave out?
    btw...now 2 out of 3 of our cars are out of warranty, and mine will be in another year :o

edited May 2019
    driver100 said:

I have a question someone may know. The 2015 GLK is off of warranty :s , so we now pay for the maintenance. It is 4 years old and it has 18000 miles on it. Would you do the full "B" service as recommended every 2 years or 20000 miles ($700 CDN)?;

Mercedes-Benz B-Service

The B-Service first visit is at approximately 20,000 miles or 1 year after the previous service. The exact time is determined by the vehicle's Flexible Service System.

Then it is typically every 20,000 miles or 2 years (approximately). This is for model year 2009 and newer. Please see service advisor for all Mercedes-Benz B-Service specifics.

Services Performed:
    Synthetic Motor Oil Replacement
    Oil Filter Replacement
    Cabin Dust/Combination Filter Replacement
    Brake Fluid Exchange
    All Fluid Level Checks & Corrections Are Dependent On Factory-Recommended Service Intervals For Your Vehicle's Year & Model.
    Tire Inflation Check & Correction
    Brake Component Inspection
    Reset Maintenance Counter

Is there anything you could really leave out?
    btw...now 2 out of 3 of our cars are out of warranty, and mine will be in another year :o

My, my, such old cars. Soon you’ll be flipping through Craigslist for old hoopties like me.

If you don’t put a lot of miles on your cars I’d probably go with the calendar schedule rather than the mileage. Seems like a lot of money for what you listed. Since they’re out of warranty why not look into an indie shop?

All I'm really seeing on that list is an oil change, a brake fluid exchange, and a cabin filter. No way is that worth $700 of my money. I would do it myself, or find an independent shop.
    I understand the soon to be released 2020 Ford Explorer is going to offer AtiveX (or some such moniker) seating that is similar to MB Tex. What is this stuff, heavy duty vinyl?
    @driver100,
    If you want to keep the GLK, you might as well have the service done.
    Cheaper than buying a new one.
    You might get a hard lesson on depreciation.