Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    Welcome, @bryan . I'd recommend posting this question over in Real world trade-in values. @Qbrozen can give you an idea of the whole sale value and what might be reasonable for retail.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,413
    au1994 said:

@nyccarguy have you had a chance to do a test drive yet?

Not yet. I'm still in the stalking phase. I checked out a few at a local dealer last night while my son was at a hockey clinic.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• bryanbryan Member Posts: 198

Welcome, @bryan . I'd recommend posting this question over in Real world trade-in values. @Qbrozen can give you an idea of the whole sale value and what might be reasonable for retail.

Thanks for the heads up. I've posted it over there. Thanks again!
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,961
    nyccarguy said:

au1994 said:

@nyccarguy have you had a chance to do a test drive yet?

Not yet. I'm still in the stalking phase. I checked out a few at a local dealer last night while my son was at a hockey clinic.
    I will be interested in what you think after a test drive. As much as you enjoy driving and appreciate a vehicle with sharp driving dynamics I doubt you'd like it for long. I bought a new 92 Ford Ranger Super Cab with V6, 5sp, alloys, loaded. It replaced an Audi 4000. The Ranger was comfortable, quiet, rode decently but not sporty in the least. I quickly tired of it and traded it within the year.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    edited May 2019
    @28firefighter is this a Toyota dealer on the East Coast that does magical lease deals, or a broker? 
    A broker based in eastern PA who works exclusively with one dealer in eastern PA (unknown which until you agree to a deal and pay the broker fee).
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,553
    That's who I'll network my friend's deal through if/when he actually gets the ball rolling on his transfer. I still don't understand how a Tacoma isn't adequate for his needs but c'est la vie.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,371
    Just read a rumor that Subaru may bring back the Baja in 2020. I'm so in!!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    au1994 said:

Just read a rumor that Subaru may bring back the Baja in 2020. I'm so in!!

Yeah, that's what people said in the early 2000s.... didn't really translate to actual sales. :( Some of thoe Bajas sat on the lot for YEARS after the last one was made.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    @bryan

Welcome to Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous. What's currently in your fleet? When is the last time you punched your card (purchased or leased a car/truck/SUV/Motorcycle...)?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:

@bryan

Welcome to Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous. What's currently in your fleet? When is the last time you punched your card (purchased or leased a car/truck/SUV/Motorcycle...)?

Hi. Thanks for the welcome. In my current fleet is a 2015 Buick LaCrosse Premium; 2013 Buick LaCrosse Leather; 2013 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT; and 2008 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT. All purchased new. Typing this out I'm starting to see a parttern, LOL. And no, I'm not the only driver.

The '15 was purchased new March '15. And now I've got the itch. I'm 65 and my old body prefers a luxo-cruiser. My Sales Manager (and neighbor) had one of the first XTSes, and he let me drive it. I thought, wow, someday I'd like to have a car like this for my trips back and forth from Northern Virginia to the Delaware shore each weekend. And that time has come, IMO.

And good luck to you in your truck hunt! Thanks again for the warm welcome.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    No reason you shouldn’t like the XTS if you like the LaCrosse.  They are built on the same platform.  

I still miss my 2012 LaCrosse (PIII). 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

tjc78 said:

No reason you shouldn’t like the XTS if you like the LaCrosse.  They are built on the same platform.  

Yes it is. It's the best power train on any car I can remember driving. Just realized the link I attached earlier was wrong. Here's the car I'm considering. I think it's time...

https://www.lindsaycars.com/searchused.aspx?Cpo=true&Year=2018&Make=Cadillac&Model=XTS

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,073
    That color combo is my favorite for Cadillac. Dark Adriatic Blue is a lovely shade and the light interior goes well with it. I don't know what market price is for those but it only has 14K miles, is a 2018, and looks perfect, so $33K seems very fair. If you could get it for $30 or $31 it would be a no-brainer, but I think it is pretty fairly priced as-is.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Nice Caddy.  Hopefully you get it!

Lovely looking Caddy. Warren Buffett drives an XTS, so that gives it some additional street cred in my book!
    bryan said:

Yes it is. It's the best power train on any car I can remember driving. Just realized the link I attached earlier was wrong. Here's the car I'm considering. I think it's time... https://www.lindsaycars.com/searchused.aspx?Cpo=true&Year=2018&Make=Cadillac&Model=XTS
    Sharp lookin caddy!  A heathy V6 and AWD are always a good recipe in my book.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    I agree about that Caddy, hard to imagine a better color combo for it. Seems like a lot of car for the money at that age and mileage.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,489
    you could pay that much for a well equipped Camry I think. So, yeah, if you want to keep it for a long time, seems like a good option.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I also like dark red over beige. The dark blue on the Caddy is a little too close to black for my liking, but I'm sure it looks great in person.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341
    edited May 2019
    It seems that the car my bride thinks I "need" will not be easy to obtain; of the dealers I have spoken with, only one is interested in trying to find one for me. Time will tell...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    Refrigerator door broke off after I got home from work putting a soda in it, bottom hinge rusted away and have the door in my hands. Have had no ice maker since 2015 and the plastic is cracked in the freezer part. It's also a 31 year old GE side by side bought in 1988. Enough is enough!! Time to go get a new refrigerator!
    Went to Home Depot after being on the phone for 20 minutes. Brought in my cell still ringing and showed it to the manager. 3 people answered and each put me back on hold, it was a circus! All she said was, "I'm sorry" and after asking her if that's their standard operating procedure, got the same canned answer..."I'm sorry"! Told her your phone system sucks and it sends a lot of folks elsewhere.
    Long story short, can't get one at H D till next week...NEXT WEEK!! I couldn't believe it. The sales guy who sold my kid her appliances told me to go to Lowes or Best Buy to get better service and better selection. So next go to Lowes.
    Find the perfect Whirlpool side by side but since it's after 4, it's 7:30 by now, tells me Friday is the earliest. So tired by now, so said sure. Turns out they had put up tomorrow's sale signs a bit early so he says he has to give me the sales price! Store manager comes over and overrides the computer so get my $1599.00 side by side for $1199.00 and it'll be here sometime on Friday. Works for me!
    Hell, figured I got my monies worth out of the old GE unit and now, I'll have a smudge proof stainless steel unit with an ice maker in the door, which frees up space in the interior. No more ice trays!! And now will have cubes and crushed ice through the door, and I just love crushed ice in my soft drinks, any drinks for that matter. But seriously G-d, I've had a target on me since the accident in February 2018 and then my health issues then and this year. And now this!! Enough already, I need a break here so please, go "f" with someone else for awhile and please, please, just give me some peace. I've had enough!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited May 2019
    I so wish we had the “smudge proof” stainless. We have a 3 and 5 year old. Keeping a SS fridge clean and free of fingerprints is worse than a black car. I swear it gets wiped three times a day... then if certain members of the household do it, it’s all streaked so I do it again.

Good deal at 1199 for a model with the ice in the door.

Sounds like it as time a long time ago! But enjoy. You will be shocked at how much better it will work. And probably smell! Should save on the old electric bill too.

Yes, I replaced a 15+ year old fridge at my old house and the new one was much quieter and used less than half the electricity. 
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    bryan said:

tjc78 said:

Yes it is. It's the best power train on any car I can remember driving. Just realized the link I attached earlier was wrong. Here's the car I'm considering. I think it's time...

https://www.lindsaycars.com/searchused.aspx?Cpo=true&Year=2018&Make=Cadillac&Model=XTS

Welcome.

Pretty car. Just a gut feel, but I’m thinking $28K? Maybe $29K if it’s really clean and there are no dings or scratches.

Good luck. Let us know how things turn out.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    stickguy said:

Sounds like it as time a long time ago! But enjoy. You will be shocked at how much better it will work. And probably smell! Should save on the old electric bill too.

I have an ancient Kenmore in the basement, I shudder to think what that thing costs to run every month

edited May 2019
    It's a matter of paying now or paying later. The ancient ones are more costly to run but you get 15 to 30+ years of service from them. The new ones are efficient but good luck making them last even 10 years.

My grandma has a Kenmore in her garage they bought at the same time as the house - in 1965. Still chugging along with no issues. The original fridge in the kitchen was replaced around 10 years ago, a shelf clip broke and it couldn't be mended - it was still running fine too (I think it was a Frigidaire).

I went to a yard sale a couple years ago which had a 1930s monitor top style machine, in immaculate condition. Seller claimed it worked perfectly. If I had the space, I would have bought it, I think they wanted $200 for it.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,925

Pretty car. Just a gut feel, but I’m thinking $28K? Maybe $29K if it’s really clean and there are no dings or scratches.

Good luck. Let us know how things turn out.

Guess again.
    ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,559
    I want a Bevador. B)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

ab348 said:
    It's a matter of paying now or paying later. The ancient ones are more costly to run but you get 15 to 30+ years of service from them. The new ones are efficient but good luck making them last even 10 years.
    I was just saying last night.  All of our kitchen appliances are 8.5 years old now.  I wonder how long before they start giving us trouble. 

Ice maker in fridge is already a little wonky sometimes dripping water down the side of the freezer. 

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    @bryan, I like that XTS. If it passed your inspection, I’d offer $30k, maybe as high as $32k. Good luck.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,559
    tjc78 said:

ab348 said:

I was just saying last night.  All of our kitchen appliances are 8.5 years old now.  I wonder how long before they start giving us trouble. 

Ice maker in fridge is already a little wonky sometimes dripping water down the side of the freezer. 

20 years in our new house.. Replaced first refrigerator at 10 years. 2nd one had a $500 repair at 8 years, but okay since. I'd guess 10-12 years is about average life.

I wouldn't have paid $500 to repair an 8 year old refrigerator, but it's counter depth, stainless steel, and an easy $2000+ for a comparable replacement. I think I'm ahead after 2.5 years of service on the repair.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

All of the appliances in our home are approaching 7 years old. I'm fully expecting them all to crap out at some point in the next 3 years.
    Let’s see...house was built in 02 and the dishwasher, oven and microwave are original. I replaced the electric cooktop with gas back in 14 and bought a new fridge in 13 when I moved in. So like you, fully expect the original appliances to crap out any minute!

The really scary one is that we are still on the original hot water heater.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    At the old house, we had a second, older refrigerator in the mud room. I computed the cost of running that thing using one of those hour-watt meters, and it came out to $17 per month.

When I moved into this house, in 2011, I had to buy everything (HUD foreclosure). Refrigerator, stove, washer and dryer. I'm surprised the hot water heater was still there (and it's still working, too, knock on wood). I bought everything used off of Craigslist. The refrigerator (side by side, ice and water in the door) is still working, although I did spend $100 or so on a repair. Stove works great, although very seldom used. The dryer is still working, although I did have to replace the washing machine this year. But after 8 years, I definitely got my money's worth.

The refrigerator cost me $200, the stove $125, the washer and dryer $250. Craigslist is still your best bet for such items (at least in my opinion).

Mostly Home Depot and Lowe's do not stock appliances. Refrigerators, washers and dryers, etc. They have displays on the floor, but no stock. You order, and it gets delivered a few days later. Earlier this year, I went to Home Depot and then Lowes, driving my truck. They both had the washing machine I wanted on the floor, but no stock. No way to "take it home tonight". Which rather p_____ me off, but what are you gonna do?
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709
    Speaking of appliances makes me think I haven't given any update on our house situation here - we are indeed closing on our new house next month, but different than originally planned.

We decided to pass on the house we were originally thinking of - that one was a large two story (plus basement) with a 4-car garage. Beautiful house (@michaell and @jpp75 saw it), but probably more suitable for our younger family 5 years ago.

We instead have opted for a large ranch style home (in the same neighborhood) - when we looked at this one, it just felt right. It already has a finished basement, so there is plenty of room for the entire family when all the kids are home. But with one graduating college next year, and another going to college in a couple years (and the younger to follow a couple years after that), we like the idea of living on one floor and having the basement available to house kids when needed.

It "only" has a 3-car garage, but that did not give me much heartache. It's still one more than I have now. One thing I really appreciate is the garages are all insulated and finished.

We're also going from a "no-yard" situation to a half-acre lot. :o

And...last but not least...our current home is not sold yet. But we're all in and prepared to float both houses for a little bit as needed. :s

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

tjc78 said:

Be careful, or that might cause the hinges to rust and you could have the door come off in your hand like Sandy's did. :open_mouth:

All of the appliances in our home are approaching 7 years old. I'm fully expecting them all to crap out at some point in the next 3 years.

YEAR

My parents had an Amana built in fridge with custom cabinet inserts when they built their house in 1999. It required several repairs at it aged, including a new compressor. When it died, they replaced it with a stainless steel built in fridge. 
    ab348 said:

Be careful, or that might cause the hinges to rust and you could have the door come off in your hand like Sandy's did. :open_mouth:
    It actually never makes it past the first shelf before it freezes.  I think it splashes when it fills 

Just back from test driving the XTS. Very nice car. I could see myself cruising the highways in that car!

Salesman went over the CarFax with me; appears to be private one-owner; I pointed out the fact that the car had been in their possession since November 18, 2018, and had yet to sell. So...

I offered $31K before tax and tags and $799! processing fee. Salesman didn't flinch, but said he doubted the Sales Manager would bite. He didn't. Came back with no counter. Just gave me a spiel about how they price cars, etc. I told him I'd done my research and felt $31K was fair offer to start with. He went back to the Sales Manager.

Came back with $1K off their price IF I was willing to drop the Certification. It's a very nice car. I would like to have this car, but it's not a need. I'll continue my quest.

He said he would call me if there was any movement on this car. Or if he came across another XTS he thought I might like. I thanked him for his time.

bryan said:

Just back from test driving the XTS. Very nice car. I could see myself cruising the highways in that car!

Salesman went over the CarFax with me; appears to be private one-owner; I pointed out the fact that the car had been in their possession since November 18, 2018, and had yet to sell. So...

I offered $31K before tax and tags and $799! processing fee. Salesman didn't flinch, but said he doubted the Sales Manager would bite. He didn't. Came back with no counter. Just gave me a spiel about how they price cars, etc. I told him I'd done my research and felt $31K was fair offer to start with. He went back to the Sales Manager.

Came back with $1K off their price IF I was willing to drop the Certification. It's a very nice car. I would like to have this car, but it's not a need. I'll continue my quest.

He said he would call me if there was any movement on this car. Or if he came across another XTS he thought I might like. I thanked him for his time.

Best thing you can do. Walk away. It has been sitting since November. And it still sits!

Well, that’s disappointing. It’s a nice car and would be a great road trip car. I have mixed feelings on the ‘one price’ dealers. Doesn’t do any good if that one price is crap. You’d think since they’ve had it since November and we are practically to June there would be some motivation there.

I'd be shocked if they don't call within a few days.

Agreed. Patience.

On the lot for 6 months and they won't budge by under 10%? Either they overpaid, or are insanely patient.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,925
    bryan said:

So I said $33k would be fair, and they offered it for $32.6k but you walked?
    hmmmm...

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S