Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    qbrozen said:

I think the Mets gave up already this year. Just sayin.

Good to be a Phils fan for the moment. 

Not good to be a Mets fan this year, so far at least. Ask me how I know... :s

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    nyccarguy said:

Driving home Sunday from NYC, Merritt Parkway, ~3pm Fairfield area; a Honda Pilot camped out in the left lane, doing ~45mph. Bradd???

I've been accused of many things in my lifetime.  Left Lane Camping isn't 1 of them.  I have a solid alibi too.  I was digging. 

Espalier your tree? I like it!

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Was only locked out once today. Came home and had the wife come out and see. Worked perfectly every time! Now she says I just want a new car...wink, wink!! Went out an hour later...of course it opened the first time. Tell her I'm not crazy but she thinks I am, well maybe just a little!!
    Still on the fence about tomorrow. My gut is saying just forget about it. And just put things on hold till after we get back on Monday. Going to Kissimmee/Lake Buena Vista hotel on Saturday just to get away. Wife has a lot of points at Best Western hotels, so we're going to see the oldest and hang out in Orlando. Tax season is over so a little vaca is in order I guess. Taking the Audi as I don't trust mine to be honest.
    After the fridge and my vehicle's nonsense, I need a rest so might be a good thing to get away for a couple of days and all within 2.5 hours. Good deal!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    kyfdx said:
    Bored, today.. Called SiriusXM - saved $13/mo. for the next year (our trial was up, and it was $20.XX/mo. Called the local newspaper (yes, I still subscribe to the paper) - My rate went up by $12/mo. about 4 months ago, but I'd been dragging my feet. Got it knocked down by $9/mo. It's tough living on a fixed income... ;)
    $22/mo savings = $264/yr

How much time did you spend on the phone? Looks like a pretty good return. 

Unlike the folks who ask for 37 sets of lease numbers and have not a clue of what they want. Then end up getting a killer deal on a car they don’t like. 

Am stuck at Houston Hobby Airport, waiting for my flight to Midland. First a delay, now a gate change. 

Have I mentioned how much I enjoy working from home?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Michaell said:

Am stuck at Houston Hobby Airport, waiting for my flight to Midland. First a delay, now a gate change. 

Ahh, Hobby to Midland, I made that flight a great many times back in the day. Very happy to be well away from such things!

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
     You and your wife enjoy your little getaway Sandman. And thanks for checking in with us giving an update and everything that’s been going on with you and the family? Hopefully your car wasn’t hooked up anymore for a while everything you got a new fridge. There’s always something, that’s life never perfect. That’s why if we just make the best of every day and stay positive I mean we all have our bad days every now and then too. 
     SP 55, sure we can count that as a punch in here, congratulations to your son. 
     Michael, while the car is superlow miles from most three years old, someone’s going to get a nice used car when you turn 18 in two months. 
     Sandman take your time if not this weekend or another weekend starting some test drives, and make sure whatever you get here really get away like I’m everyone else has been staying in here agreed. 
     So my hand into a nice car accident this morning, with their 2017 pilot I think it actually might of been a 2018, hit in the side all the airbags went off definitely it’s going to be totaled. I think they had a little over a year maybe a year and a half if that. I told her thank Lord you’re OK, but now you have to do some car shopping, was a lease. 
     Oh and the left front driver side tire rim shattered. 
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    Michaell said:

The 1940 Air Terminal Museum is very neat and highly recommended if you're ever on the ground side of that airport...
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    If I have the chance, I'll check it out.

I arrived in Midland late, and in the middle of a thunderstorm. The rental car lot was a good couple of hundred yards away from the terminal. I was soaked by the time I got to my car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826
    Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

Bored, today..

Called SiriusXM - saved $13/mo. for the next year (our trial was up, and it was $20.XX/mo.

Called the local newspaper (yes, I still subscribe to the paper) - My rate went up by $12/mo. about 4 months ago, but I'd been dragging my feet. Got it knocked down by $9/mo.

It's tough living on a fixed income... ;)

$22/mo savings = $264/yr

Unlike the folks who ask for 37 sets of lease numbers and have not a clue of what they want. Then end up getting a killer deal on a car they don’t like. 

About 20 minutes total... half of that going through the phone tree to get to a rep. Pleasantly surprised.

If I had kept pushing, probably could have saved another $1 or so on the SiriusXM by going to a 6-month term, but I'm happy to have it locked for a year. It's the wife's car, or I would have just dropped it. She loves it.

I pushed harder on the newspaper... but, that was the best I could do.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Glad you made it home safe and sound, even though coming home in the middle of a thunderstorm. Glad you got the price lowered on your XM satellite radio, and the newspaper. 
     Other job interview today, we’ll see what happens. 
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    kyfdx said:

Bored, today..

Called SiriusXM - saved $13/mo. for the next year (our trial was up, and it was $20.XX/mo.

Called the local newspaper (yes, I still subscribe to the paper) - My rate went up by $12/mo. about 4 months ago, but I'd been dragging my feet. Got it knocked down by $9/mo.

Fixed income or not, I hate being the target of any sort of price increases or any sort of product malfeasance that a company won’t stand behind when they don’t keep their serviceability promises.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Good luck, Marco!
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

Bored, today..

$22/mo savings = $264/yr

I used to travel a lot both domestic and international. While the points and miles were nice and getting to see the world on someone elses nickel was priceless, I do not miss the headaches that occasionally come. Couple that with the fact that planes are crammed, people are unfailingly rude, its just not fun anymore. Plus I have no status with the airlines as I might travel 2-3 times per year for business now.

Rental cars were always fun though. Got to sample a lot of rides but mostly of stuff I'd never be interested in. Funny story...Avis 'upgraded' me to a Dodge Caravan in Wichita once. At the time I was far, far, from the target demographic of a minivan being single and mid 30's. I had a 3 hr drive to my destination and I absolutely loved that thing. Quiet, comfortable, good visibility across the Kansas plains to see cops. Almost hated to turn in in!!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    I had a 3 hr drive to my destination and I absolutely loved that thing. Quiet, comfortable, good visibility across the Kansas plains to see cops. Almost hated to turn in in!!

When I traveled heavily for work in the early 2000s we had a 96 Town and Country and a similar vintage Grand Cherokee at the office. I almost always grabbed the van. It was nice for long drives, plus it had awesome AC and the better stereo. It was previously the owner's wife's car, so it was fully loaded.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited May 2019
    Left work yesterday and the car f'ed up again. Got home and did a test with the wife at 5 minutes, 2 hours and 4 hours. Car worked like it should. Kept telling her I'm not crazy...the door hasn't always opened properly! She thinks I just want to buy something new which just isn't the case here. Let it sit locked over nite and went out this morning. All is working perfectly so canceled VW appointment and we'll see what happens. Was going to test drive a Toyota CH-R and a Honda HR-V today but think I'll put that on hold. No sense testing anything now as I might just be tempted to pull the trigger on something I might not be happy with...been there, done that!
    And since I'm very interested in the 2020 HR-V and new Hyundai Revue, praying that things continue to work and when the time comes and these new models are out for sale, I'll test them then. Seems like a better plan to be honest at this juncture as from what I've read, the HR-V will address certain issues I have with it now. And that new Hyundai model looks like it just might be the right size vehicle for me and if I can slide in and out with no falling into the drivers seat, works for me.
    Went on the VW site and that black over black 2019 Golf is gone but their sister store in Ft. Lauderdale has a gray over black model which looks nice though I don't want a black interior. And from what it says, no 9 speaker Fender audio system which is a must for me. Would even do a Beats audio if offered but just says a 6 speaker audio system. Bummer!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    edited May 2019
    Sandy - Personally I would have kept the VW appt. My OCD would force me to figure out what in the world was going on. You never know it could be a (relatively) simple fix. Plus you'd get to roam the dealership while they are checking it out. I can sympathize with you. Little, annoying things like this would drive me crazier than a big problem that would leave you stranded!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    It almost sounds like an adjustment or fitment issue on the VW where environmental conditions cause it to work or not. Overnight is cool and it worked so maybe that is a clue. Was it in the sun yesterday at work? Have you noticed any pattern of such things?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    Marco, glad to hear that everyone was okay after that Pilot crunching!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
     Other job interview today, we’ll see what happens. 
    Good luck
    No pattern at all except it seems to work when the wife is there. Joked that maybe we should just switch vehicles when I go to work and be done with it! She said, uh...NO! Got over to the Honda store so I could try out the HR-V but it was so crowded figured I'd go another day. Afraid if I like it that much, I just might pull the trigger now when it's still missing a few things I do really want. Just gonna stay the course right now and see what happens. Personally, waiting till the 2020 models come out is the wisest thing for me to do. I'd always be kicking myself if I got a 2019 and then those changes I really like do show up in the new model. I'd be very unhappy just like I was after some time in the 2014 Tucson I had. Can always bring mine in to VW anytime to have them check it over.
    I know I'll need new sneakers within the year and probably new front brakes sooner than later so best just to wait. And am still very much intrigued about the new Hyundai Revue due out later this year. From all I've read about it, something I might really be ready to trade the Golf for. Should also have the latest tech and push button start which I do want. And of course the new HR-V should be out around the same time. Both are at the top of my short list now.
    Best to listen to my logical side right now and just hold off doing anything.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    I made a phone call to the Toyota dealership in my town earlier this AM.  I spoke with a gentleman whom I guess is the sales manager.  Told him I’d like to make an appointment to test drive a Tacoma TRD Sport.  Asked if a specific stock number was still available.  “Yes.  We are here until 7:00 PM”

I told him I’ll be there between 6:00 & 6:30 pm.  He said he’d have the truck waiting for me.

In true “no kids Bradd” fashion, I arrive at 5:55 pm.  Meet the sales manager I spoke with on the phone.  He immediately grabs a sales guy who says:  “the truck is in a lot about 2 blocks away.  I’ll be back in just a few minutes.”

I’m patiently waiting

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    Typical. And they wonder why we hate car salesmen.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    He'll have the truck waiting at 6:30. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    thebean said:

Perhaps not -- they most likely know. The question is whether they give a (wait, better yet) care. They think that whatever they're doing works, otherwise they wouldn't do it, much like robocalls.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    my guess is, they get way more people saying they will be in and ghosting, than actually showing up. So they have been trained to not put the time in dragging a car out for a cold call like this. If it turns out to be an actual person that shows up, they turn on the charm and run over to get the car.

I would expect different result if you were already a known shopper or repeat buyer, where they know you are actually going to show up.

or they just don't care is always a possibility.

but, I can't wait to hear how the test drive goes, and how close to what he expects the lease quote is.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

thebean said:
    I honestly don’t fault the guy for not having the truck ready.  If you are busy with people in front of you, then how do you know that the guy on the phone will actually show up.

I get calls all the time from random plumbers, supers, contractors.  “Yeah, this is a real plumbing supply?”

”Yes sir.  What can I do for you?”

”Do you have xxxx?”  

“Yes.  How many do you need?”

”Just one.  I’ll be there in 15 minutes, can you put it on the counter?”

I must admit, I don’t always drop what I’m doing to go get some random part for some random guy i don’t know.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Perhaps not -- they most likely know. The question is whether they give a (wait, better yet) care. They think that whatever they're doing works, otherwise they wouldn't do it, much like robocalls.
    I agree 100%

The salesman was very nice, apologetic, & sincere when he pulled up with the Tacoma.  He asked off i was ready to go.  Didn’t even ask for a license.

This is only considered a “mid-sized” truck because of the 1/2 ton giants out there.  The Tacoma is far from small.

It was rush hour.  There was no way I’d be able to test the Tacoma on the highway.  I suggested we take to some of the streets that haven’t been re-paved yet.  Trying to negotiate a tight right turn out of the parking lot and I know I’m not in my Infiniti anymore.  It’s big, but far from cumbersome.  

The test drive was all side streets.  Lots of broken pavement & a steep incline after a stop.  

The steering inputs were very smooth and fluid.  I knew exactly what the front wheels were doing at all times.  

Braking was impressive too.  I didn’t do any sort of panic stop, but the pedal was very firm and easy to modulate.  Amazing that the rear brakes are drums.  

Suspension on is very well dampened.  I knew I was going over broken pavement, but at no time were my fillings in danger of falling out.

Overall I was impressed. 

After the test drive we sat down at the sales guy’s desk.  He asked me how I’d like to structure my lease.  I told him 24 months/12K per year.  Taxes & Fees Rolled into the payment.  As little due at signing as possible.  I asked him if they do leases with MSD (Multiple Security Deposits).  He said that they do, but that’s something I’d have to discuss with the business manager.    

He got got up to go talk to his manager and came back with some numbers.  MSRP of the vehicle is $43,345.  Selling price he said is $41,000.  Through US Bank with $500 Due At Signing the monthly payment (without MSD) would be $496 per month.  He said the same numbers with TFS (Toyota Financial Services) would be somewhere in “The Fives.”

I told him I really need to come back and drive the Tacoma again on the highway.  He agreed that I should given the car I’m driving now.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    That doesn't sound like a great deal at $496 or in the $500s. :@
    corvette said:
    That doesn't sound like a great deal at $496 or in the $500s. :@
    Not at all. He didn’t know (or wasn’t told) what the US Bank Lease Rates & Money Factor are.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Leases almost as bad as an E wagon B)

I thought I had seen $299 deals on those, but maybe base models. Around here, a 4Runner or Taco is definitely an "active" hockey dad kind of vehicle, in the same vein a Subaru is for wild outdoorsy office workers, so it might suit you well.

12K miles? What's the plan? 2/3 miles on the truck, 1/3 to the Prelude? I assume you are selling the Infiniti of course.

getting it out on the highway is important. See how it cuts in and out and handles high speeds.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    I stopped by my local Jag dealer last week, wanted to look at a 2016 F-Type S AWD. Nice, young sales dude told me the car wasn't on the main lot, hadn't been prepped yet. But, he'd be glad to go get it, let me take it for a spin. No, thanks, I"m not quite ready to do that yet. So, said I'd be back, took his card. May stop by again tomorrow night.

Not all are sales folks are the same.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

stickguy said:
    12K miles? What's the plan? 2/3 miles on the truck, 1/3 to the Prelude? I assume you are selling the Infiniti of course. getting it out on the highway is important. See how it cuts in and out and handles high speeds.
    Yes.  Selling the Infiniti.  TFS only charges $.15 per mile over your mileage.  If I go with the Tacoma, I’ll be giving them extra money in the form of MSD.  The MSD will buy down the interest rate.  When the lease is up, they’ll take the MSD and use it to pay for the over mileage charges.

complicated plan, but whatever works for you!

at least if you decide on a whim to bring home a new tub from work, you can just toss it in the back.

stickguy said:
    complicated plan, but whatever works for you! at least if you decide on a whim to bring home a new tub from work, you can just toss it in the back.
    It is, but if I’m going to give TFS the money anyway, why pay more during the lease with a money factor that equates to over 6%.  I might as well enjoy the “lower” payment.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826
    stickguy said:

complicated plan, but whatever works for you!

at least if you decide on a whim to bring home a new tub from work, you can just toss it in the back.

Probably won't fit in a Tacoma bed. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    @nyccarguy
    I’m sure you know, but you can do better on the Taco once you decide to dig in deeper.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    nyccarguy said:

After the test drive we sat down at the sales guy’s desk.  He asked me how I’d like to structure my lease.  I told him 24 months/12K per year.  Taxes & Fees Rolled into the payment.  As little due at signing as possible.  I asked him if they do leases with MSD (Multiple Security Deposits).  He said that they do, but that’s something I’d have to discuss with the business manager.    

He got got up to go talk to his manager and came back with some numbers.  MSRP of the vehicle is $43,345.  Selling price he said is $41,000.  Through US Bank with $500 Due At Signing the monthly payment (without MSD) would be $496 per month.  He said the same numbers with TFS (Toyota Financial Services) would be somewhere in “The Fives.”

I told him I really need to come back and drive the Tacoma again on the highway.  He agreed that I should given the car I’m driving now.

Based on the MSRP I'm guessing this was either a TRD Sport w/Premium Package or TRD Off Road?

Compared to what some of the brokers on LH have been throwing out those quotes seem high. A broker outside of Philly has Tacomas in the high 2's, low 3s.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    tjc78 said:

@nyccarguy
    I’m sure you know, but you can do better on the Taco once you decide to dig in deeper.  

Yes I do. I had to test drive locally and go through the motions.

pensfan83 said:

nyccarguy said:

Based on the MSRP I'm guessing this was either a TRD Sport w/Premium Package or TRD Off Road?

Compared to what some of the brokers on LH have been throwing out those quotes seem high. A broker outside of Philly has Tacomas in the high 2's, low 3s.
    TRD Sport w/ Premuim. I'm in contact with 2 of them.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @marcogallo1986 ...good luck with the interview.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Good luck with the search and dealing @nyccarguy - very exciting!  

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y