Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    That looks like a Henry J to me.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    I agree, looks like a Henry J.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,093
    What those guys said. Henry J.

While not a car, we stayed in Lebanon, OH fairly near where daughter no. 2 graduated from Miami Univ. this past Sat. I've admired this old Texaco station before, but the overhead bay doors were opened so I walked up. It's a very cool barber shop.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,702
    That's cool. Why were you in Lebanon?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

My daughter was graduating from Miami U. in Oxford, maybe 30 (?) miles away. Not many hotels in the small town of Oxford, and we've liked the Golden Lamb in Lebanon, which is the oldest hotel in OH, being in the current building since 1815. Twelve presidents have stayed or eaten there, and Charles Dickens stayed there. My wife knows I find Warren G. Harding fascinating so booked us the room named after him. I knew this but she didn't, but that is the smallest room they have, way in the back, LOL--he even gets no respect there! :) It was a lot of togetherness but the restaurant is wonderful there IMHO.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    Nice. We ate at a local bar in Charleston called Fuel, that was also a former gas station. Still had garage doors that opened, and the period glass block wall that would have been part of the waiting room.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    There used to be a $40 haircut hipster barber shop in an 50s-60s era gas station several blocks from me - but it got torn down and replaced by generic bougie storefronts and expensive apartments.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited May 2019

...we've liked the Golden Lamb in Lebanon, which is the oldest hotel in OH, being in the current building since 1815. Twelve presidents have stayed or eaten there, and Charles Dickens stayed there. My wife knows I find Warren G. Harding fascinating so booked us the room named after him. I knew this but she didn't, but that is the smallest room they have, way in the back, LOL--he even gets no respect there! :) It was a lot of togetherness but the restaurant is wonderful there IMHO.

X2 on the great food at the restaurant. Owned by a family named Portman IIRC.

That barbershop is immaculate looking outside. Little cluttered inside, LOL. I like the mechanic tool boxes as storage for the barbers' materials. And the wide whitewall tires. I'll have to look that up. Maybe I'll go to the Blues Festival when they have a car show later in the summer...

Did @uplanderguy make to the Harper Valley movie location ice cream store on the main north/south street?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Neat looking place and neat you are now done with college students expenses. Congrats on the degree. Miami of Ohio is a good university.

...we've liked the Golden Lamb in Lebanon, which is the oldest hotel in OH, being in the current building since 1815. Twelve presidents have stayed or eaten there, and Charles Dickens stayed there. My wife knows I find Warren G. Harding fascinating so booked us the room named after him. I knew this but she didn't, but that is the smallest room they have, way in the back, LOL--he even gets no respect there! :) It was a lot of togetherness but the restaurant is wonderful there IMHO.

X2 on the great food at the restaurant. Owned by a family named Portman IIRC.

That barbershop is immaculate looking outside. Little cluttered inside, LOL. I like the mechanic tool boxes as storage for the barbers' materials. And the wide whitewall tires. I'll have to look that up. Maybe I'll go to the Blues Festival when they have a car show later in the summer...

Did @uplanderguy make to the Harper Valley movie location ice cream store on the main north/south street?

It is owned by the Portman's, now (Senator Rob Portman).

The Comisars of Maisonette restaurant fame used to own it.

I've eaten there multiple times, but never stayed there, as it is less than an hour from where we live.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@uplanderguy Congrats on the graduation!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

berri said:

Neat looking place and neat you are now done with college students expenses. Congrats on the degree. Miami of Ohio is a good university.

Miami of Ohio Miami University is a good university.

Feel free to refer to University of Miami as Miami of Florida, grin.

The two names are different but sports folks couldn't seem to understand that so they started using the diminutive "of Ohio."

kyfdx said:

It is owned by the Portman's, now (Senator Rob Portman).

The Comisars of Maisonette restaurant fame used to own it.

I didn't know the Comisars had owned it.

When my son was an intern in the senator's office, we went there to eat with him. He told the gentleman seating us that he worked for the senator. The man said, "I do too" and laughed.

We put the Golden Lamb visits on the same level as the Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill restaurant. Because my wife has difficulty walking both are a challenge because of steps.

edited May 2019
    Is that one of those schools that gives lush full rides to hockey playing Canadian kids to keep a weird feeder sports team system going? I bet those 4 years were a spicy meatball, uplander, now time to buy another Stude!

The school names of that area (like Miami) can be confusing to west coasters. I recall when I was in high school, I knew a kid a couple years older than me who went to "Cornell". I was quite impressed by this, and eventually someone told me it was actually "Cornell College", which didn't have the same cachet.

@imidazol97 I don't think I've been to Shaker Village since the early '90s.

If you like that type of food, have you been to the Boone Tavern in Berea, KY?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited May 2019
    Thanks for the kind words. Both our daughters graduated from there. Hockey is "the" sport there.

I remember seeing shirts on students that said "Miami was a university before Florida was a state", LOL.

I love the town of Oxford. It sits on top of a hill, out in the middle of nowhere, basically. But, after this past weekend, I don't care if I ever drive from Lebanon to Oxford and back, ever again! We did that several times this weekend. I gotta say, it's the farthest I've driven/ridden in our new Equinox and I think the tire noise, mostly from the rear, is bothersome. My Cruze is quieter.

Coming off daughter no. 1's wedding the weekend before, we're both tired, to say the least. The wedding was 2 hrs. 15 mins. from us and graduation about 4 hrs. 15 mins. from us.

I did see a fairly decent red and black '55 Plymouth two-door hardtop, guessing a Belvedere, in Oxford on Sat.

The Portmans do own the Golden Lamb. It's not luxurious, but old and historic-looking. Upstairs in the halls I'm sure it looks the same as it did in 1962. :) The Harding room was small....real small. We'd stayed there previously but in bigger rooms.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,299
    @uplanderguy,
    Did you stop by Bagel & Deli in Oxford to get something to eat?
    A lot of Americans go to Canada to play junior hockey, then come back to the states for college.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Saw a black last gen 9-5 with a turbo6 and maybe xwd badges on it.
    I think Americans going to Canada was more common before USHL developed into something competent. Some still go to Jr A or major junior, but the weird NCAA implications for the latter make that a limited number unless one has exceptional skill and sees an early pro career as a given.

In the workplace garage, the ~85 Prelude Si is here again - must be a summer car, and there's a later model Corvette with all kinds of racing signage and gingerbread mingling with the cloned Subarus and MDX/RX crowd, stands out.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    When we were in PA back in February, we were supposed to stay at the Omni William Penn for several days. However, because of the weather delays getting into Seattle, we could not make the reservation and just ended up just staying in a chain hotel downtown. We were out for a walk (in rather blustery weather) the next morning, and we walked by it, so we poked our heads into the lobby.

So, while we didn't get to stay there, we did get to pay a couple hundred dollars (non-refundable portion of the reservation) to walk through the lobby for about five minutes! :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Congratulations on the new Miami Red Hawk graduate.

@imidazol97

so they started using the diminutive "of Ohio."

Sorry you took it that way. It was referred to that way for many years while a football powerhouse and has always had a strong academic reputation regardless of its name. Actually, if I saw Miami University, I might confuse that as the one in Florida. Just a matter of perspective I guess. Either way, Uplander's daughter done good!
    Miami University (Ohio) was actually quite involved in military training for WWII, including signal/electronics training for the Navy.
    edited May 2019
    Did you stop by Bagel & Deli in Oxford to get something to eat?

No, but I have eaten there once.

But..after graduation, when my wife and I wanted just to get back to Lebanon (daughter was going to a party with friends), our older daughter and her husband wanted to go to Bagel and Deli and for us to meet them at "The Municipal Lot uptown" for us to pick up a package from their car. We didn't know where that was so said "Meet us at Kroger's lot" which made daughter no. 1 not happy, LOL.

Of course, Oxford was wall-to-wall cars at that point.
    @uplanderguy,
    Yup, Kroger isn't that close to B & D.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A Bond movie was on. He was being chased by an obscure one :)

And it wound up in the bay :)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    that Pontiac parked at the curb really looks out of place.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Like the Chinook. Seldom see that helicopter without a military livery.
    Didn't they use the Chinook for some sort of shuttle service in/out of Manhattan some years ago?
    They had a Chinook at a Memorial Day military encampment here at the PA Military Museum a few years ago. We were about 150 yards away when it took off. Now THAT was pretty powerful!
    I'm really not sure. There are also some large Euro-copters that may have been used. The Chinook would have been an expensive to operate people shuttle as it was designed to haul heavy weight and has a pretty long pilot training program in the Army.
    Yep, from the Pan Am building:

Nice picture texases. Taking off from the Pan Am building is very apropos. Now if there was just one of their B707 Clippers in the skyline coming into Idlewild (JFK) ... btw, the military pilot training course for the Chinook is one of the longest. Excellent aircraft, but complicated to handle.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,978
    Great picture. My dad had a cousin who worked for PanAm, in that very building. Probably worked there when that picture was taken.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    PF_Flyer said:

I think the obscure car is a Toyota Crown.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    bhill2 said:

PF_Flyer said:

I think the obscure car is a Toyota Crown.
    Look at those handling chops!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

You guys are goooood :)
    Body roll does not necessarily equate to bad handling. Without some body roll, most tires couldn't maintain traction.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,677
    kyfdx said:

Body roll does not necessarily equate to bad handling. Without some body roll, most tires couldn't maintain traction.

Doesn't a bit of body roll help keep you in your seat a bit better, as well? With most newer cars, that's probably not as much of an issue thanks to the contouring and side bolstering of the seats, but it seems to me that with an old car that corners flat, it's more likely to "throw" you, sort of like a bucking bronco.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    andre1969 said:

kyfdx said:

Doesn't a bit of body roll help keep you in your seat a bit better, as well? With most newer cars, that's probably not as much of an issue thanks to the contouring and side bolstering of the seats, but it seems to me that with an old car that corners flat, it's more likely to "throw" you, sort of like a bucking bronco.

In the old days, nothing worked better to keep you in the seat when cornering than corduroy pants on velour seat upholstery. That combo was like Velcro.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Yep, a little body roll isn't a bad thing:

A friend of mine, used to modern cars, claims I get a wheel off the ground when taking ramps at speed.

And then when searching for an image, I go down a rabbit hole and find this cool wagon conversion (from France), never seen it before:

Physics is a stubborn thing :)

@andre1969

Don't know if you get Collectible Auto magazine, but I just got the latest issue (Aug) and there is a decent article, with plenty of pictures, on Mopar cars from 1960. It has some nice shots of those Dodge vehicles you like. 1960 is an interesting year for Chrysler products whether someone likes the styling or not, including stuff like Unibody on big cars (except Imperial).
    Yep, I get collectible Automobile, but haven't seen the August issue yet. I actually like the styling of most of the Mopars that year. The only one I don't really care for is Plymouth. I think the Dart and especially the bigger Dodges are good looking cars though. I also think the DeSoto and Chrysler are really attractive...my biggest issue with them is they're just not that unique any more, and look too similar to each other. I think the '60 is sort of a "love it or hate it" for Imperial, but for some reason I love it. I just think the grille/front-end treatment is really attractive, although it also looks a bit Cadillac-ish to me!
    I actually like the Valiant. Well made and styled different, kind of Euro for its time. The DeSoto basically gave you the Chrysler (at a discount) with a smaller engine and different dash. Always liked those globe dashes on the Chrysler.
    My brother had a '62 Valiant. Black with a red/white interior

Oops...totally forgot about the Valiant! Yep, I like it, too. If I was going to get a Big Three compact that year, I'd probably go with the Valiant.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261

1965 Triumph Herald at this past Spring Carlisle.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    PF_Flyer said:

My brother had a '62 Valiant. Black with a red/white interior

My Grandmom had a white 1961 Valiant with a red interior way back in the day. My Grandpop took my Mom out once to teach her how to drive then gave up. Mom went to driving school after that.