Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lease residual quote

BrShootrBrShootr Member Posts: 2
edited May 2019 in Subaru
First, thanks everyone for all the info available on the forum. I have a specific question that I was not able to find the answer to: what is my risk if I get a lease that has too high of a residual?

I am getting quotes for a 2019 Ascent 7 Passenger Touring, option 12, with 34,400 OTD sale price, MF of .00115, and residual of around $25k. 3 years, 12,000mi/year.

That residual seems high to me. So, what am I risking if I get a residual that ends up being too high for the actual car's value at the end of the 3 year term?

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319
    BrShootr said:

First, thanks everyone for all the info available on the forum. I have a specific question that I was not able to find the answer to: what is my risk if I get a lease that has too high of a residual?

I am getting quotes for a 2019 Ascent 7 Passenger Touring, option 12, with 34,400 OTD sale price, MF of .00115, and residual of around $25k. 3 years, 12,000mi/year.

That residual seems high to me. So, what am I risking if I get a residual that ends up being too high for the actual car's value at the end of the 3 year term?

You actually want a high resiudal, as that makes for a lower lease payment.

You don't care about the value at the end of the lease - you're going to turn it in when you're done.

Oh? You want to buy the car at lease's end?

Then don't lease to begin with - just buy the car up front, and avoid the extra lease specific costs.

A high residual at lease end is bad news if you want to buy the car, as you will pay over market value for a 3 year old used car. And, you'll be financing with a used car interest rate - which nobody will be able to predict for 3 years from now.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    BrShootrBrShootr Member Posts: 2
    That seems about right. I just wanted to make sure I was not going to end up with a surprise at lease’s end if the residual was too high for the value of the car at that point in time.

Thanks!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,228
    BrShootr said:

That seems about right. I just wanted to make sure I was not going to end up with a surprise at lease’s end if the residual was too high for the value of the car at that point in time.

Thanks!

It might be.... but, that's what makes a great lease deal. The car depreciates more than you actually pay for.

If your goal is to buy the car, then don't lease it first.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator