Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,284
    andres3 said:

Michaell said:

andres3 said:

thebean said:

20 inch wheels/tires make the Passport a no go for me. I’m not real smart, so maybe there’s a valid reason, but it seems like 18 inchers would have been just fine for it, with, of course, some design tweaks to make the wheel openings a bit smaller.

I agree, I noticed the 20's, even on lower trims! I mentioned it to the salesman, how I switched the 20's on my TTS to 19's, and it's crazy that Honda is putting 20's on a Passport even in basic trims. Now the ELITE model, at $54K, I could understand.
    I test drove the Passport, and didn't notice a rough ride on the 20's
    The sidewalls are plenty decent, even with 20" wheels, They are some big tires. Still, I could see an even beefier more off-road type tire used if they went with 18" wheels. My objection to 20" wheels is the cost of 20" tires. Have you looked lately?
    Nope - I worked pretty hard to keep the spend under $1000 when I replaced the 19" tires on our old CX-7.

I'll agree that most folks don't pay much attention to the running costs of something they buy or lease. When we got the CX-7, I knew I was in for a shock when we had to replace the tires.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,547
    Our RDX has 18s. They weren’t too pricey. A spec TLX has 19s. They will cost more. I just hope to not need to re-shoe it before it goes back. Only if I end up buying it out.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,923
    If you think about it... shouldn't the tire with the larger rim opening be cheaper?

If two tires are exactly the same height and width, but one has a 17" opening and the other has a 20" opening, doesn't the 20" tire have less rubber?

Am I missing something?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Skinnier sidewall, but more linear feet?

Might be more expensive to make. But most likely, it’s a vestige of when big tires were low production, so had to cost more. People expect it, and will pay it, so they charge it.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,318
    In the parking lot at work, a few new cars. The only one I can remember is a gray M235i convertible. :)

My truck has 22's and the tires are a long way from replacement.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    Most of the higher diameter tires are also wider (though, they wouldn't have to be). Most vehicles that go with 19" wheels standard, also increase the overall size, it seems, as well. (relative to the old model with smaller wheels).

My wife's car has a 19" wheel option (vs. standard 18"), which was one option I could do without.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    stickguy said:

Skinnier sidewall, but more linear feet?

Might be more expensive to make. But most likely, it’s a vestige of when big tires were low production, so had to cost more. People expect it, and will pay it, so they charge it.

It's a bit more then that. It takes more high-tech, engineering, and manufacturing exactness to make a skinny sidewall support, say a 96 load rating and meet the speed rating specs, than it does to work with a beefier bigger sidewall tire. Almost all tires these days are XL for extra load because cars are heavier and sidewalls are skinnier. Also, bigger tires tend to weigh more, despite the bigger hole in the middle, a lot of times because a bigger hole in the middle indicates a bigger tire around, and they tend to be wider.

Now if only they could get the ratio of price to be the same as the ratio of wheel size. For instance, get a 20" tire to cost 20/19ths what a 19" tire costs in the same size. That would be preferable to the current pricing scheme.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Sales volume also comes into play I think. If you sell less of certain sizes, their fixed and semi-fixed costs like molds and transportation are spread over a smaller base incurring individual tire cost increases.
    I think a lot of the points are valid, but I’d bet dollars to donuts they are simply more expensive because they are perceived “better” and the public will pay. 

I bet the auto auto makers added cost is negligible 

Go to Tirerack.com and check the weight of a 19" tire, vs. an 18" option on the same vehicle.

I think you'll see a substantial difference.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,167
    Went to the store, saw another new Corolla. Rental.
    kyfdx said:

Go to Tirerack.com and check the weight of a 19" tire, vs. an 18" option on the same vehicle.

I think you'll see a substantial difference.

19" wheels also tend to weight a lot more than 18" wheels.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    While a few years old, I found this informative:
    https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15130598/upsized-wheels-tires/
    In the parking lot at work a red Porsche 718.

Just looked up my tires at Tirerack. 275/45/22 Pirelli Scorpion Zero's 41 lbs $235 each.
    Saw in Auto News that Ford is now planning on keeping the Fusion in production through at least 2021.
    smart idea. but would be smart if they actually updated the darned thing. Really getting long in the tooth.

I still think it makes business sense to at least have 2 sedans. a small/medium, and a medium/large. Like a Jetta/Passat if you don't want too small, or Elantra/Sonata. Do it right, and will be 2 lengths of the same basic car so cheaper to produce.

I've read the Fusion may continue through 2023, but it's just internet chatter.
    Probably would be fleet only by then.
    Isn't the Edge on a Fusion platform? If so, the cost of keeping it may not be as high as some think as long as it still provides an incremental profit contribution.
    Fleet sales
    Not my field, but there is a school of thought out there that fracked wells will have a relatively short time span compared to conventional drilling wells. If that turns out to be true, the future may be back to cars or electric/hybrid. Japan isn't dropping minivans right now due to their potential if driver-less becomes a reality. Also, it seems young drivers are often buying cars rather than crossovers, at least initially. Time will tell I guess.
    Fusion I think is a platform mate to the Edge. these days, since all the CUVs are just tall station wagons anyway, should be super simple to go the other way and stick a sedan body on the same chassis. Especially the fancy modular ones.

The Fusion can serve as a band aid in the event the car side perks up while an updated model is set up. Gotta order tooling and the like which has lead times.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,091
    Fusion strikes me as too narrow to be used as the basis for the Edge. I thought the Fusion was a stretched Focus platform?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

The Fusion and Edge are related like the Camry and Highlander. Not too narrow, it''s wider than the Focus. But, like the Highlander, the Edge is more than a jacked up Fusion. We have the MKX and MKZ, and there are LOTS of differences.
    Have you been happy with those Lincoln's?
    I don’t think there is a single one of the CUVs that don’t have sedan DNA in them.

Yes, we’re happy. My wife likes her 2008 MKX, wants to keep it after 11 years. I like my 2011 MKZ hybrid, 35 mpg day in day out. 
    Personally, I think that Lincoln's strategy is wiser than Cadillac's. If a buyer wants European, they'll buy European. However, I think there is a market for traditional American luxury. I guess we'll see how it plays out.
    got behind a new temp tagged Corolla today. Definitely different looking from the rear. Thankfully(?) I did not see it from the front.

New style CLS in the workplace parking garage.
    I'm doing this the next time I'm sold a lemon:

might want to peel those off before trying to trade it in though.

went to our new Sprouts market today. Neat place. Quite the zoo. and probably telling of the clientele, when I came out we were parked next to a row of white CUVs. An MB GLC, Porsche Cayenne and a Volvo XC90. I hope our little old RDX did not get an inferiority complex.

Saw a new GLE on the road, got behind a Corolla Hybrid.
    same shopping trip, a white E440 coupe (pretty sharp, but the butt really does not say MB to me). Parked next to a new style Altima. actually looks pretty good, from behind.

another new Corolla. this time the hatch.

and a new Blazer. Not bad looking. I can't see us every buying one or my wife driving it (somehow, she has become a serious brand snob. I created a monster buying her an Acura I guess).

Something really odd - a new SUV...a Renault...
    diplomat car or manufacture plates?

Probably from Mexico...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Yeah, probably from Mexico. I didn’t have a chance to notice the tags. 
    texases said:

Yeah, probably from Mexico. I didn’t have a chance to notice the tags. 

I see a few cars with Mexican plates here in Colorado...but no Renaults, to this point.

VW Gol and Nissan Tsuru, however.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I've seen a couple SEATs with MX plates in WA.

Saw a Panamera wagon thingy this afternoon.
    New Blazer, not the top of the line version shown on TV.
    Color does not help and interior pretty normal GM, underwhelming.

I forget.. Is the Blazer a short Traverse? Or, an Equinox variant?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Travanox? Equiverse? Not sure.
    Acadia clone (AKA short Traverse/Enclave)

The one I saw at the auto show was a top line trim. And, I was underwhelmed.

At $46K, you'd think they could find a better class of interior than Playskool.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Yet another new Corolla, yet another rental
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,105
    edited June 2019
    I like Chevys, lifelong thing the way other people like a sports team, and have had good service with them, but I just can't like the new Blazer. I think "Nissan" when I look at one, with the quarter panel kick-up. Made in Mexico, too.

RE.: Your wife being a 'brand snob'; I am too, but a reverse-brand snob, LOL. I'm proud that the most I ever paid for a new vehicle was $24K and that was our '05 Uplander van. Our '19 Equinox LT was two grand below that. And I think that's too much money, LOL.

Another Chevy I just can't like : Camaro. I've tried. I don't.

On the other hand, I very-much like the C7 Corvette in base trim. A good buy too in that class I think.

I read they take their last C7 orders on June 23.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    edited June 2019
    At a bagel shop down the shore this morning.. 2 X5 M50 Diesel. 

What are are the odds?  I wonder where the third one they built is?