Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316
    stickguy said:

out driving, a gen 1 Supra (the jelly bean hatchback style). Light blue. Looked pretty clean. have not seen one of those on the road in ages.

Must have been vintage Toyota day - had to make a quick trip to the grocery store. Spotted a mid 80's wedge Celica GT-S, for sale. White, with aftermarket black basket wheels.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    that, I would have stopped to look at. I really need a toy car. And a bigger garage so I have someplace to put it without the TLX needing to sit outside.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316
    stickguy said:

that, I would have stopped to look at. I really need a toy car. And a bigger garage so I have someplace to put it without the TLX needing to sit outside.

If I wasn't in a hurry, I would have taken a closer look. I remember how much I liked those, in the day. My mom had an '84 GT in that ubiquitous baby blue color. It was a great car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Here's possibly the nicest '66 Buick Riviera GS in the world, subject of an obsessive and ultra-detailed restoration.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/buick/riviera/2275622.html

Pretty paint color, though the black interior is unfortunate when so many more appealing choices were available back then. But $110K? This could well be a situation like Shifty used to talk about where something is priced according to what the person spent.

Good luck is all I can say.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    The question is did they paint the car to match the bridge or did they paint the bridge to match the car!
    Great staging location to show off the color of the Buick.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556
    Spotted this morning when we were out to breakfast. Good looking from 5 feet away but there were a couple spots of  bubbling paint and the interior was hacked up a bit. Middle console was missing, as was one of the dash vents. For what is probably a 33 year old car in the rust belt though it looked pretty nice overall. I've never seen one of these in the flesh, only its counterpart the Aerocoupe.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    That’s a rare 80s machine there.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    A tech at my BMW dealer gas a 2+2; he dropped in a Chevrolet Performance crate motor and that old sled is fast.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    nice weather today, so a few out. Sweet 64 impala convertible. sounded good, looked new. and a clean 77ish beak Firebird. Period light brown. And real rare, for sale, a mid 60's Dodge cabover panel van. black, had cragers, and a little rake to the stance.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    On the road today, a white ~86 Monte SS, and a lowrider 63 Chevy wagon driving down the road with its rear end way up in the air.
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,688
    Those Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2 were rare when new. According to my old car book, they only built 1118 of them, and they had an MSRP of $18,214! For comparison, an '86 Buick Regal Grand National was only $14,349 to start. In somewhat of a defense, I think the 2+2 came pretty much fully loaded...power windows, locks, a/c, etc. A/c was still optional on the Monte Carlo SS, and I'd imagine it was on the Grand National, as well, although the vast majority of them were built with it, I'm sure.

I've also heard conflicting stories on how much horsepower the 305 that went into these cars put out. It wasn't the 180 hp unit the Monte SS used. I've seen three different HP quotes....150 hp, which is what the 305 put out in a regular Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, or Bonneville G, 165 hp, which is what it put out in the Impala/Caprice/Parisienne, and pickup trucks, starting in 1985, and 155 hp, which I'd never heard of in any other setup.

I've heard the main reason the 305 put out less hp in the midsized cars than in full-sized and pickups was a more restrictive exhaust...but IIRC, the 2+2 used a dual exhaust.
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Put some 70's "War" music on! Can't recall if that song included Eric Burdon or not.
  • Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,110
    I think those 2+2's were the normal 305 output, but you're right--if they're duals, they should be more than that. I'm pretty sure that they didn't put out the 180 the SS did.

My college prof buddy had an '87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe, in white, no T-Tops, but buckets and console in burgundy color. I liked it at the time and still would; the 'aero' window reminded me of '77-79 big Chevys. He's older, more-moneyed and into M-B's now and said not terribly long ago how he saw one and he couldn't believe how the doors closed, especially with the windows down. I know what he means, but I reminded him of the pricing and sales volume of those cars in general, and that they were a long door with frameless door glass, and also when introduced ('78) it was all about weight savings. He conceded those points. :)

I think the Grand Prix might've been the only GM personal RWD coupe of the eighties to be advertised as little or less than the Monte Carlo. I don't recall a Monte Carlo magazine or TV ad after the '81 model year.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    2+2?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    A couple of $1Million+ cars:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Another one today at a HS graduation party.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    Is that a ‘70? Very nice

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Canadian Pontiac. It is very confusing though because that is a '65 and the sporty 2-door that year was called the Custom Sport. The 2+2 nomenclature didn't appear until '67, or so I thought.

• Options
    ab348 said:

Canadian Pontiac. It is very confusing though because that is a '65 and the sporty 2-door that year was called the Custom Sport. The 2+2 nomenclature didn't appear until '67, or so I thought.

I don’t think it’s Canadian

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

ab348 said:

I don’t think it’s Canadian
    Well, you are correct sir!

I was totally unaware of this model. That doesn't happen much to me on '60s GM stuff but in fairness it wasn't sold here new. Here is a page from the US Pontiac brochure:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Pontiac/1965 Pontiac/1965_Pontiac_Performance_Brochure/1965 Pontiac Performance-12-13.html

• Options
    edited June 2019
    My friend is exhibiting at the show. I’m gone, but I’ll see if he can get a picture of the placard that came with that one.

If we hadn’t been discussing the ‘80s 2+2, it probably wouldn’t have registered with me.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Forgot this one existed:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    If you had to have one Ferrari, would it be this one?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Crappy picture, sorry. It’s a Ferrari FF. Weird

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Interior of the Gullwing Mercedes

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:
    Is that a ‘70? Very nice
    Yep. Beautiful car inside and out.
  • Options
    Ault Park
    Elegance de Concours.

Beautiful vehicles on display.

What year is that Mercedes?

• Options

Ault Park
    Elegance de Concours.

Beautiful vehicles on display.

What year is that Mercedes?

Sorry, but I don’t remember. Info overload.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

Parked on the street

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Speaking of ‘65 Pontiacs

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited June 2019

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Gullwing is likely a 54 or 55, they can exist up to 57, but the later ones are even less common. Fun to see it out in the rain.
  • Options
    One for @fintail

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    280SE low grille, 1970-71, could be 3.5.
  • Options
    It is a 3.5

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I really like that Mustang.

• Options
    kyfdx said:
    Thank you!

I assume it was trailered in from Waterford MI, and not driven. That's the White Lake area.

Beautiful. I was always fascinated by the gull wings.
    I remember when I was at Miami University and saw my first
    Mercedes SL parked along High Street.

• Options
    seeing the Gullwing and Cobra back to back, pretty much tells you all you need to know about the German and US auto industries back in the day (and probably about the respective mentalities of the countries).

• Options

kyfdx said:
    Thank you!

I assume it was trailered in from Waterford MI, and not driven. That's the White Lake area.

Beautiful. I was always fascinated by the gull wings.
    Both the Cobra and the Gullwing were probably trailered in. The Cobra is local, but with just 1900 original miles, I'll guess they don't drive it. Plus, raining and $1 million plus value.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I saw an ad for a car show in this larger area that said "no trailered cars."
    Those are often the best ones from my point of view because I like the
    ones as original as possible or as typical in the way they were equipped
    long ago in the 50s and 60s.

Maybe the show doesn't have any room for tow vehicles and a trailer to park, but...
    a distance parking lot and an SUV to run drivers back and forth would have worked.

• Options
    More stuff

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    The Evening Orchid/Iris Mist color was gorgeous IMHO. The '65 full-size Pontiacs are beautiful, but I think the 2+2 instrument panel lacks much without the wood paneling and assist grip the Bonneville and Grand Prix have. In those iterations, I don't believe there's ever been a more-expensive looking domestic instrument panel, and I'd say that includes the Olds and Buick cars of the same model year (Cadillac, well probably not, LOL).
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Two or three or so years ago, when I was there visiting one of our daughters (both went there), on High St. I saw a fifties M-B, I think a 180 or maybe a 220, with wide whites and it was a two-door with no quarter glass.
  • Options
    That would be a Ponton coupe, all badged 220S or 220SE, 1957-60 model years:

For obscure cars, lovely day here today but saw almost nothing of interest on the road. I did see a restored looking maybe late 70s squarebody Blazer, and a very clean 2nd gen Accord.

Two or three or so years ago, when I was there visiting one of our daughters (both went there), on High St. I saw a fifties M-B, I think a 180 or maybe a 220, with wide whites and it was a two-door with no quarter glass.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    kyfdx said:

Forgot this one existed:

So did 99.99999999% of the buying public.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    I’ve never seen a coupe on the road, only the vert.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    edited June 2019
    There was a coupe version of the Solistice on a dealer lot here a few years ago several different times. It was bought by the dealer principal new (he was a GM dealer) for his personal collection and he decided to get rid of several of his cars when he sold the GM store and became exclusively a Ford dealer (he had all 3 domestic brands at different stores for a while). It was offered for $36K Cdn and didn't get any takers the first few times, don't know if it eventually sold or not.

When new I preferred the styling of the Saturn Sky and I spotted this one on a dealer lot on the weekend. I remember seeing this car around town a few times. The lack of a price makes me wonder. I suspect I would not fit in it very well.

https://www.carsrus.ns.ca/used/2008-Saturn-Sky-id7400360.html

• Options
    the automatic kills that one for me.