Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,489
    decided after seeing a few commercials and getting feedback from the women in the house that the new Passport is nice. So putting that on the short-ish list for the next car. Probably the closest thing to the wife's current car on it too, with the big V6 and design. Might be too big and bulky though. Need to check it out in person.

I am still touting the new OB. she seems ambivalent at best about it, so I guess that will take checking out in person too. The interior likely would sway her.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
      Wow, crazy court day for you over there Michael glad all is well now. 
     That was a comment from Friday that I thought I posted is things weird sometimes 
    speaking of the wife, she may want to keep her RDX until one of them dies. We were out in the new car, and she was complaining about not knowing how to use everything, and liking having a big radio tuning knob in the RDX instead of touch screen buttons. Even though the TLX has way more presets so little need to ever tune by tough! Going to need some serious instruction time when she gets a new DD. Does not help that she drives mine infrequently so does not get used to stuff.

What a mess what happen with your friend and driving through the water hoping for the best 
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,963
    The Passport is a potential replacement for our Pilot. We will no longer need the 3rd row seating and the wife likes the V6 power and overall looks.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    ab348 said:

I had a 2013 S4. Great ride, for sure. Gonna cost him for repairs and maintenance......a LOT! If he’s OK with that, it’s a fun ride.

Personally? I’d do the new GLI with the warranty and all the modern goodies! He’ll be happier in the long run.

Don't I recall that the Audi ended up being a buyback after you had some issues with it?
    Yes....Quattro system kept disabling the car.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    stickguy said:

that was his fleet of Cadillac's that all got bought back.

I had some catastrophic bad luck with cars the early part of this decade.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    I had a 2013 S4. Great ride, for sure. Gonna cost him for repairs and maintenance......a LOT! If he’s OK with that, it’s a fun ride. Personally? I’d do the new GLI with the warranty and all the modern goodies! He’ll be happier in the long run.
    Don't I recall that the Audi ended up being a buyback after you had some issues with it?
    Minor issue

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited June 2019
    nyccarguy said:

ab348 said:

I had a 2013 S4. Great ride, for sure. Gonna cost him for repairs and maintenance......a LOT! If he’s OK with that, it’s a fun ride.

Personally? I’d do the new GLI with the warranty and all the modern goodies! He’ll be happier in the long run.

Minor issue

=-=-=-=-=- end quoted material=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Yeah, they all do that.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570
    This would make a great daily driver

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

well, no worries about seeing OK at night on back roads.

I forgot all about the Audi buyback. Man, you did have a run of bad luck. Unless you are some kind of automotive hypochondriac.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,371
    edited June 2019
    Random musings on a lazy, cloudy and rainy Sunday...

I was thinking about the attainable cars on my bucket list. These are cars that for what ever reason, I’ve desperately wanted but for one reason or another never pulled the trigger. Sometimes it was finances that held me back, sometimes it was I simply made another choice, sometimes it was just the wrong car for the time. Nothing like a Ferrari or an old Saab that would never serve well as a DD. I’ll list mine below but was wondering what the crew here has on their list.

— Jeep Grand Cherokee
    — Nissan Maxima
    (Never said this list would make sense :smile: )
    — Volvo S60 or a Volvo wagon
    — BMW Z4
    — Another pick up (I’ve had a Tacoma and a Ram)
    — Wrangler Unlimited
    — Toyota Land Cruiser (ok, at 80k this probably isn’t attainable)
    — Mercedes E wagon

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

sda said:

The Passport is a potential replacement for our Pilot. We will no longer need the 3rd row seating and the wife likes the V6 power and overall looks.

I’m a fan too. The size looks just right to me.

one downside to the Passport is that I would be hoping to get something with a bit better MPG potential. The Passport is likely to suck gas like a Pilot. Not really wanting to get worse mileage than the RDX, especially if we are keeping that one. Need at least 1 set of wheels that won't drink us out of house and home!

stickguy said:

I forgot all about the Audi buyback. Man, you did have a run of bad luck. Unless you are some kind of automotive hypochondriac.

Probably some of both!
    I like this

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    But...why?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    just buy a Jeep. easier to find parts.

• mb_enthusiastmb_enthusiast Member Posts: 232
    Do people on here have legit compulsive buying disorder or is this a forum for people to figure out ways to buy clunkers?
    My stable: 2019 Audi Q8, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG, and 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500W4Found new homes: 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2011 Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTEC, and 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8Illinois real estate broker and commercial property manager
    edited June 2019
    Well. That’s a little black and white. 

I think the better answer is “yes”, with each of us falling somewhere on the car-buying spectrum. 
    Okay, out of all the cars I saw today, that I could conceivably afford to purchase, this is my favorite:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Do people on here have legit compulsive buying disorder or is this a forum for people to figure out ways to buy clunkers?
    Welcome @mb_enthusiast .  Yes.  Most of us are here for the group.  I’m not sure if you are a long time lurker or not, but this is a “down” year for us.  We’ve got some staple members and some who have come and gone.  @corvette, what was our punch count for 2017 and 2018?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341
    au1994 said:

I was thinking about the attainable cars on my bucket list. These are cars that for what ever reason, I’ve desperately wanted but for one reason or another never pulled the trigger. Sometimes it was finances that held me back, sometimes it was I simply made another choice, sometimes it was just the wrong car for the time. Nothing like a Ferrari or an old Saab that would never serve well as a DD. I’ll list mine below but was wondering what the crew here has on their list.

— Jeep Grand Cherokee
    — Nissan Maxima
    — BMW Z4
    — Wrangler Unlimited
    — Mercedes E wagon

For me:
    M3(2008)
    Challenger Hellcat Widebody
    GT350
    Boss 302(2013)
    TR3A
    Jensen Interceptor
    Mini Cooper GP

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

kyfdx said:

Okay, out of all the cars I saw today, that I could conceivably afford to purchase, this is my favorite:

I love GTVs.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

now that is a nice Alfa. I always liked that model. Of course, have never driven one so that could certainly change.

For the BMW fans

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

"dream" cars? Mine probably fall into 2 categories. classics I would like now (and always did) and ones from back in my early driving days I really wanted but passed on for one reason or another (usually $).

a '69 and '70 Z28 always. a 911.

and stuff like an '84 Celica GTS, 1st gen GTI, 2nd gen RX7, assorted Volvos. mid-80s Mustang 5.0LX. BMW E46 3 series and the early-2000s vintage 5 series.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,963

au1994 said:

— Jeep Grand Cherokee
    — Nissan Maxima
    — BMW Z4
    — Wrangler Unlimited
    — Mercedes E wagon

For me:
    M3(2008)
    Challenger Hellcat Widebody
    GT350
    Boss 302(2013)
    TR3A
    Jensen Interceptor
    Mini Cooper GP
    The Jensen Interceptor has always been a favorite of mine. I liked the Triumph Stag for many years until I found out that a Yugo was more durable and reliable.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

can't say he wasn't warned. And when a guy with a SAAB and an Alfa warns you against it, and then laughs at you, you know you are way into the deep end of the pool without a life jacket.

edited June 2019
    @nyccarguy No, this is the first time I am reading this thread. I don't even know where to begin...

@Michaell mentioned this to me in the Porsche Lease Deals and Prices thread, because I was asked why I was still shopping when I had leased an Audi Q8 less than a month ago. Legitimate question.

I'm in my mid-twenties, and I car shop pretty much non-stop. I've always loved cars, especially German cars—Mercedes-Benzes in particular, classic and modern. Since I was about 20, I have proceeded to purchase and lease vehicles at a ridiculous clip, especially for someone who seldom works on them personally. I'll do some minor stuff here and there, certainly beyond what an average driver does, but I don't have a workshop by any stretch.

It probably became most evident to many of the people around me and to me that I had a bit of an issue when I purchased two cars within seven days of each other hundreds of miles apart. I did this while in a PHP/IOP program (an intensive outpatient program for mental/behavioral health) following the death of my mother. That was a few years ago now.

I had told the clinicians at the program that I had intense urges to buy a car, and that I could not stay off of CarGurus. If I recall correctly, their (all women) response was to tell me to keep off of CarGurus and to stop shopping. By the time I told them this, I had already visited a few dealerships looking for a particular Mercedes-Benz. I had also started negotiating to purchase a low mileage Volkswagen Phaeton that I had found on some website halfway across the country.

I put a deposit down on the Phaeton, and I booked a flight and bought an Amtrak ticket to get me to the small town where this Phaeton was so that I could drive it nearly 1k miles home. I was going to leave early on a Saturday morning and try to be home by Sunday. This was going to fulfill a childhood dream. I was fascinated with the Phaeton when it arrived in the States. I think I was 9. I drew pictures of the car and would walk past the VW dealership that was just a few blocks from my house. I so wanted my mother to get one, but of course, she insisted upon getting the 2005 E500 when it came time to replace the 2001 E320.

Anyway...Before I could travel there, I came across what I thought was the perfect Mercedes-Benz. It was a 'modern diesel,' and I had been wanting to experiment with a diesel car while still being able to use my phone for everything. For whatever reason, I wanted to be open with my father about this purchase and had him accompany me to the dealer to finalize the deal. This car would prove to be a bit of a disaster and was the car that I most recently got rid of.

I concocted a story about needing to visit an aunt as an excuse for me to travel. I was so exhausted from traveling that I kept falling asleep at the wheel trying to drive from the east coast to Ohio to overnight with the aunt before I brought the car home to Illinois. She was the only person aware of the car purchase, and because she was semi-estranged at the time from the rest of the family, I knew she wouldn't say a word about the car or the visit. Going through with this purchase was when I started hiding cars from my significant others, parking them on the streets and hiding all mail related to those vehicles, etc.

I told everyone at the program what I had done, and they were at a loss. It was reiterated to me again that I needed to stay off of CarGurus. I successfully did that for a few months, but then I started having all kinds of problems with my diesel and decided that I needed to purchase another car—convincing myself that I would get the diesel fixed if only I had another car to drive...at this point I had four cars. I ended up buying multiple other cars between then in 2017 and 2018. After going on a sleepless 72-hour buying spree in 2018 that involved me falling asleep at the wheel and skidding across five lanes of traffic before regaining control, I decided at that moment that I needed to pare down my inventory. I sold and traded four cars over the past almost 16 months. I sold three myself using eBay, Facebook, and CarGurus. I sold the Phaeton for more than I paid for it.

Last month, I traded my broken down daily driver for a 2019 Audi Q8 with the help of @Michaell and @kyfdx. The experience of negotiating a lease on the Q8 brought about a rush of emotions and reminded me how much I love to haggle.

When I was about 11, I spent over $9k on eBay auctions, buying Yu-Gi-Oh! cards, computers, G.I. Joes, and other oddities over a few months before my mom noticed...should have been a warning sign...

I'm loving my Q8, but now I feel like I should get something else. My mind: I have a lot of room in my garage and my driveway. I need to lease something else because I only have 15k miles per year. My GL450 just passed 100k miles; it's time for me to get something new. I miss having a diesel. It's time for me to get a real hybrid or EV. This Q8 is too thirsty. [Unnamed Alfa dealership owner]'s personal Alfa Romeo Stelvio was so fresh and sporty; I am so thankful that he let me borrow it; I need something so sporty; I should buy something from him since he let me borrow that. I have money for this. I can make this work. This will make me feel good (and cool cars do, no doubt about it)...etc...

Every time I log onto myAudi (the app opens on my phone every time I get in my car), I am prompted to make a reservation for the e-tron. Fully-refundable $1k deposit is all that is needed to place an order! My Audi salesmen send me more advertising messages about getting a new Audi now after I made my purchase in May than they did after I sent in a lead in December.

Super neurotic, super scattered, and struggling to find a middle ground here.

I really feel like I want to get another car.

Today, I do not compulsively buy anything besides cars.
    My stable: 2019 Audi Q8, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG, and 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500W4Found new homes: 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2011 Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTEC, and 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8Illinois real estate broker and commercial property manager
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    edited June 2019

My friend’s S4 made it 24 hours before dying. Oxygen sensor failed.  Can’t. Stop. Laughing. 

At least he can console himself with the fact that it's more "special" than a new GLI. :D
    nyccarguy said:

@corvette, what was our punch count for 2017 and 2018?

2017 - 46 punches
    2018 - 45 punches
    2019 YTD - 10 punches - get to cracking, people! :@
    au1994 said:

— Jeep Grand Cherokee
    — Nissan Maxima
    — BMW Z4
    — Wrangler Unlimited
    — Mercedes E wagon

That list is like me. There is no reason to it. I like my cars to have some practicality and utility, but my pricing is all over the place. However, I would not spend over $200k for any car. I think that's ridiculous.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    @mb_enthusiast Welcome to our group and sorry for the loss of your mother.
    kyfdx said:

For the BMW fans

I wish I would have picked a Turbo up back when they were borderline affordable...

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780

Well. That’s a little black and white. 

I think the better answer is “yes”, with each of us falling somewhere on the car-buying spectrum. 

LOL Yes exactly.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    MB, when you're hiding transactions and falling asleep at the wheel while bringing vehicles home, there's definitely a problem!

TBH, this may be a dangerous place for you... so much enabling going on here! That said, there are a few of us who have gone half-way across the country for a car. I have gone way, way further than that. In some ways, it is like a bonding experience with the car - makes the ownership more memorable even if it is not a long overall time that I own it.

You're very young yet. If you want to get your impulses under control, perhaps try to play a goal-setting game with yourself. For example, your new Q8: I suspect it would be an accomplishment for you to hold this vehicle through the lease period. As you idly hunt for what is next, that short list of what you really want front and center, then reward yourself at turn in by your next lease being the car that tops the list and checks off the most boxes.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

My friend’s S4 made it 24 hours before dying. Oxygen sensor failed.  Can’t. Stop. Laughing. 

How many previous owners? I have my eye on a red S4 at Carmax, but it doesn't say "single owner" which they usually tout. The blue A4 they have does say that.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:
    How many previous owners? I have my eye on a red S4 at Carmax, but it doesn't say "single owner" which they usually tout. The blue A4 they have does say that.
    1 owner. 

au1994 said:

— Jeep Grand Cherokee
    — Nissan Maxima
    — BMW Z4
    — Wrangler Unlimited
    — Mercedes E wagon

Attainable, huh? That completely rules out the 911 Targa for me. Oh my lord are those gorgeous!

I'm going to focus on leasing for my punches from here on out for my own daily driver. 2 years or maybe 3 if its something I can get out of free and clear after 2 years (give or take).

Grand Cherokee
    Wrangler Unlimited
    Tacoma
    Civic Si
    WRX

*Subject to change at any time without notice

@nyccarguy If I had your commute, I would take the Wrangler and Tacoma off the list.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    @nyccarguy If I had your commute, I would take the Wrangler and Tacoma off the list.

Without question.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I like the disclaimer, need to add it to mine.

edited June 2019
    Here is mine:
    VW Golf R
    Audi S4/S
    Subaru WRX
    VW GLI
    Audi SQ5
    Porsche 968*
    E92 BMW M3
    E46 BMW 330ci ZHP
    Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT

*This may actually happen one day

**This list subject to change before noon PT today.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,926
    In the process of selling dad's Legacy to carvana. The offer wasn't as strong as I hoped. It is right at auction value. But we really don't want to go through the trouble of trying to sell privately. 2015 3.6 Limited with just 10.5k miles. They are paying $18,562.

And, yes, I agree that even $20k for such a car with those miles would be a great buy for someone. But that someone ain't me because I really don't care for it. And it ain't my sis or bro because they can't afford it. Easier and less messy to just let them pick it up, hopefully this week.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

kyfdx said:
    @nyccarguy If I had your commute, I would take the Wrangler and Tacoma off the list.
    Due to ride comfort or fuel consumption?