Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    Q, this sounds like a really desirable car with the low miles. Did you bother to shop it locally? Dealer, or other lot? Heck, show them the Carvana quote and ask if they will just match it. I assume they would be a lot more flexible with the paperwork.

I know the local guy I shop at and post links from on occasion does a good business buying clean cars to resell. They have the same set-up as Carvana (minus the tow trucks I assume!) where you fill it out online, and get a quote back (probably not real time though).

https://www.royaleasing.com/trade-my-vehicle.aspx

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    Yeah, something about the GTO just doesn't smell right. Maybe shifty will pop in with an opinion for us.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    henryn said:

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/huntsville-1969-pontiac-gto/6911361098.html

This seems to be entirely too cheap, I suspect something seriously wrong here. $22.9 for a 69 GTO Judge, with a frame off restoration? I think not.

I agree. The wheels are wrong which makes me wonder. I could not find those pictures anywhere else though, so who knows.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    @stickguy
    Guy I work with bought an RX350 from Royal. It's a nice car and really clean

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    They are nice and have very clean inventory. I’ve been in a number of times, just the pieces (right car at right time) never came together. From what they sell, should be all over a car like a loaded low mile Sube.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    GTO has to be a scam. Although CL charging for ads greatly diminished the number of scammers, some pop up here and there.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    edited June 2019
    GTO’s interior is obviously original, with all the discoloration, looking two-tone.
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    Its just not the right place to sell a PHS documented, numbers matching GTO and if you have those docs, why not highlight them in the ad? I'd have it on Hemmings or a Pontiac specific site.

If it is real, the seller may be in distress and just needs the cash.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    edited June 2019
    stickguy said:

Q, this sounds like a really desirable car with the low miles. Did you bother to shop it locally? Dealer, or other lot? Heck, show them the Carvana quote and ask if they will just match it. I assume they would be a lot more flexible with the paperwork.

I know the local guy I shop at and post links from on occasion does a good business buying clean cars to resell. They have the same set-up as Carvana (minus the tow trucks I assume!) where you fill it out online, and get a quote back (probably not real time though).

https://www.royaleasing.com/trade-my-vehicle.aspx

thanks. i submitted it.

edit: and got automated response "please call us." SIGH

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    well, only the big conglomerates like Carvana will do it online. And then make you jump through all the hoops. Probably a 5 minute call and you will have an answer. Quicker than driving all the way to Carmax or Carsense.

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    stickguy said:

well, only the big conglomerates like Carvana will do it online. And then make you jump through all the hoops. Probably a 5 minute call and you will have an answer. Quicker than driving all the way to Carmax or Carsense.

Carmax eats up a solid 2 hours of my time, driving there and back and waiting for them to inspect. A few years ago, it was worth it. These days, their offers tend to be too low.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,318
    henryn said:

stickguy said:

Carmax eats up a solid 2 hours of my time, driving there and back and waiting for them to inspect. A few years ago, it was worth it. These days, their offers tend to be too low.
    CarMax seems to be in the middle.

Carvana and Vroom both offered $21K or higher for the Outback recently. CarMax offered $19,500, and the Subaru dealers keep telling me to trade it in, at a guaranteed value of $18,600.

It helps that I have a CarMax less than 10 minutes from me. About 30 minutes for the inspection and quote.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    henryn said:

stickguy said:

Carmax likes cars deemed to be ultra reliable by the buying public. They love Civics and Corollas, they don't much care for Audi's, and I think that would go for domestic iron as well.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Carmax also ponies up for real low miles. so a Sube with 10K on it should be desirable. But with them, you never know.

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    edited June 2019

Got a tech question here. How does one clean out all one's info on a MacBook Pro no longer used? There must be a way to wipe it clean so it can be used as a trade in for a new device.
    Thanks in advance for any quick way to do this.

@Sandman6472, Apple has instructions on their website on how to do this. Follow the instructions as though you were doing a trade in through their program. Or just use their trade in program. It’s a pretty decent one. That’s what I did with my old MacBook. They send you the box and label to ship it off and then send you a check once they inspect it.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,210
    Carvana had three guys doing a promotional/outreach gig at my local coffee shop. Had an interesting chat.
    Said that they buy a lot of cars from Enterprise (!). Also, they are the same company as DriveTime. Which is a mostly sub-prime financing used car lot.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,318
    kyfdx said:

Carvana had three guys doing a promotional/outreach gig at my local coffee shop. Had an interesting chat.
    Said that they buy a lot of cars from Enterprise (!). Also, they are the same company as DriveTime. Which is a mostly sub-prime financing used car lot.

Oh, wow. Drive Time runs lots of annoying commercials on TV here in Denver.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Drive time skeeves me out. Good thing I only sold to carvana, not buy. Though I enterprise explains why many of their units seem rental spec.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    edited June 2019
    I finally had my appointment to detail the inside of the Focus. Another purchase that required "dedogification." Cars make very expensive dog houses, IMO. :(

Anyhow, I took a moment to snap some photos, as is customary for purchases on this board. I know you were all waiting with bated breath, right?!

Without further ado:

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Looks ok for a beater. As long as it was cheap!

• Options
    edited June 2019
    This, however, is my daily driver:

I'm up to 400 miles now, and managed to ride ten out of ten commutes with it this week. Well, assuming I did not just jinx myself for the ride home tonight. :)

I had my first flat tire on Wednesday, but was able to get it back to running with supplies on hand. I'm somewhat surprised that I made it as long as I did (about 350 miles); bike flats are as annoying as they are inevitable.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    How many miles is your commute?

• Options
    edited June 2019
    25/day, 12.5 one-way. There are five significant hills, with overall elevation loss in the mornings, and gain on the way home at night. I tend to burn about 15% of the battery on my way to work, but use upwards of 50% more on the way home. I don't dally with it, though, so I use full assist on the hills to keep as much momentum as possible.

It's a great workout, though not debilitating like it was with my last bike (which was very similar to this, but without the electric assist). The total ride takes about 40 minutes each way (compared to about 25 minutes by car).
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    ab348 said:

henryn said:

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/huntsville-1969-pontiac-gto/6911361098.html

This seems to be entirely too cheap, I suspect something seriously wrong here. $22.9 for a 69 GTO Judge, with a frame off restoration? I think not.

I agree. The wheels are wrong which makes me wonder. I could not find those pictures anywhere else though, so who knows.
    The exhaust tips aren't correct either.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    ugh. Autotrader's cash offer program is HORRIBLE. After you enter all your info, it spits out a number. You have no chance to say yes/no/maybe. My email and phone instantly blew up with "we wanna buy your car" BS. I've been telling each one individually that the cash offer is not going to cut it, at $1700 under carvana.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Oh, by the way, Royal Leasing sent a followup email.

$17000. WHEN CAN YOU COME GET YOUR CHECK?

wow. just wow.

• Options
    xwesx said:

25/day, 12.5 one-way. There are five significant hills, with overall elevation loss in the mornings, and gain on the way home at night. I tend to burn about 15% of the battery on my way to work, but use upwards of 50% more on the way home. I don't dally with it, though, so I use full assist on the hills to keep as much momentum as possible.

It's a great workout, though not debilitating like it was with my last bike (which was very similar to this, but without the electric assist). The total ride takes about 40 minutes each way (compared to about 25 minutes by car).

It's hard to drink your coffee on the way to work, riding a bike, though. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Have you tried just listing it private sale? And worth at least calling royal. I promise they are nice people!

If I needed a car now I would snap it up. But my timing always stinks.

• Options
    Can also just drive to carmax and take what they offer.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    A few years ago, it was worth it. These days, their offers tend to be too low.

I've sold 3 cars to CarMax in the past. A 98 Cadillac Catera, that I loved and hated bought used 1 year old (13 times to the shop in less than a year), 99 Passat GLS (wife's, leased an Odyssey when we were dragging all of our infant daughter's stuff around), 2000 Olds Intrigue GL (bought a clean 01 Aurora 4.0). The prices they gave me were better than what I was being offered at the dealerships. You're right, their current offers to purchase are too low.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
  • Options
    mb_enthusiastmb_enthusiast Member Posts: 232
    CarMax was a lifesaver when getting rid of the one I traded. My preferred Mercedes dealership, where the car had been sitting disabled for two weeks offered me only $3k for the 2011 car. It was in significant disrepair, obviously, no doubt. However, before the front right air strut and motor went out, they had offered me $5k. CarMax had appraised it for $7k that same week.

Fast forward to the collapse, the Mercedes dealership was able to lock the strut in place so that I could drive it to CarMax for another appraisal. CarMax reiterated its $7k offer.

The vast majority of dealerships I contacted with while shopping were willing to match CarMax sight unseen. AutoNation also matched them. One Audi dealership even agreed to beat CarMax and AutoNation by $500. $3k vs $7k is a big difference to me...

However, when I was selling my Phaeton, they offered me only $4k and I ended up selling it on eBay for $7k.
    My stable: 2019 Audi Q8, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG, and 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500W4Found new homes: 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2011 Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTEC, and 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8Illinois real estate broker and commercial property manager
  • Options
    No PP listing yet. Wanted to make it quick and easy. It will continue to sit till I get back from vacay.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

No PP listing yet. Wanted to make it quick and easy. It will continue to sit till I get back from vacay.

When are you out? If soon or already, have a great trip!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    stickguy said:

Looks ok for a beater. As long as it was cheap!

Started out that way: I paid $1,500 for it.

However, since then, I put another $350 into it for tires (it came with a nearly new set of Blizzak, but summer tread was s-h-o-t. The detail was $200, and I will replace the struts/shocks and motor mounts before I hand it off (another $200). With this stuff done, it's a solid, comfortable car. No regrets.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Sounds like a cool trip...enjoy!!
    Went to CarMax when I bought the Golf and they offered $1K more than VW did for my Tucson. Saved the print out and after showing it to the VW dealer, they matched it and got a thousand more. Worked for me at the time since I knew selling at just over one year of ownership was ludicrous...but I just wanted out of the Tucson badly and the Golf just literally blew me away! Also, since the wife had just bought her A3 the week before, she opened the door to buying German and the rest is history. She's still happy even though it's an appliance to her, an expensive one, but still, an appliance. And the fact that it's been flawless, icing on the cake.
    Suydam, thanks for the advice about my MacBook Pro, I'll do just that and if the kid doesn't take it for a trade-in, will just get a check and bank it.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    My lead driver came over to my temp office today and tried to get me back, been there a week now. Only issue is one of the workers in the new office was fired on Thursday when I was off. Don't know all the particulars but, the locks were all changed this afternoon, whatever that means! So, looks like my stay has gone from permanent, to semi-permanent to...who knows. Just know that my new office manager told me to get used to working there for awhile!
    Works for me as it's closer to home, maybe saves me 8 miles or so and I'm getting some more time in working to right before 8 till 6, if not longer. Even though we close at 6, folks still show up at 5:58 to either drop off or pick up a vehicle. So all the way around, this new office works for me. Even volunteered for tomorrow but was told "thanks, but you're not needed. But might need you an extra day during the week", which to me means Thursday since I've got plans Tuesday. Don't mind doing that extra day but not every week, every other week could work or better, every 3 weeks. Since I never know how my pain score will be from day to day, don't want to temp the fates as they know every other day is the perfect schedule for me. Taking it easy on Tuesdays and Thursdays just works for me and anyways, I do not want to work full time anymore, will do up to 30 if necessary. But after that, would rather not.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,436
    qbrozen said:
    xwesx said:
    Thanks!
    Flight leaves JFK tomorrow night and arrives in Madrid at 11am Sunday. 
    Awesome!  Have an incredible trip!  ¡Buen viajes!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    qbrozen said:
    xwesx said:
    Thanks!
    Enjoy! We leave for vacation today too... but much closer to home 

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    qbrozen said:
    xwesx said:
    Thanks!
    Have an amazing time! 

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

xwesx said:

qbrozen said:

Thanks!

Where are you going?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    curirio said:

Glad to see people with this sickness in other part of the world.
    I thought we only have this sickness in Dubai, lol.

Hi there @curirio . Welcome to Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous. What are you driving now? What have you bought or sold in the last 18 months - 2 years?

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

xwesx said:

qbrozen said:

Thanks!

Where are you going?

Jersey Shore, Wildwood Crest

Leaving in a few with Mom, my family, SIL and her two kids. Cars are jammed!

• Options
    marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    TJC have an nice vacation!
  • Options
    QB you and your family have an nice vacation. To as whell!
  • Options
    Sandman. Glad to here all of the grate news on the job! Yes one day at an time! Glad all is also whell with the family!