Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    welcome. To the new member above!
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    Regarding selling Apple equipment back to Apple - I did this a few months ago when I upgraded my Mac Mini to a newer version. What I got back was a gift card good at the Apple Store and not a check. This is clearly stated on the Apple website, so I knew what I was getting before I sent the old unit in. Fine with me, as I used it on a new iPhone.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,846
    Same... $98 for my old iPad.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    edited June 2019
    Yes,it’s a gift card. I used mine to get the Apple care warranty for my new MacBook Air. But if you didn’t want to do that it still gives you instructions for how to erase your hard drive.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262

Type your commentPics from the Edsel and Eleanor Ford house grounds. They’re getting ready for a charity car show fundraiser tomorrow. 

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,067
    corvette said:

Type your commentPics from the Edsel and Eleanor Ford house grounds. They’re getting ready for a charity car show fundraiser tomorrow. 

My aunt and uncle had a wagon version of that Pontiac. They used it to pull a 23' travel trailer from PA to CA when they moved to the left coast in 1978. My cousin learned to drive in it - she had an unfortunate tendancy to "aim" it down the road and not make the small course corrections to keep it centered in the lane. That must have been exciting for oncoming traffic.

The Pontiac was replaced with a Suburban after a few years.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    So the VW hitting 30K miles is as great of a reason as any to trade it in and get another car and make a punch, right? I think I'm asking the right crowd here :smile:

You know, in order to avoid the big 30K mile service job.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,146
    When I was a kid, my grandma had an Olds with a hood ornament. She said she liked this, as it helped her "drive straight down the middle of the road" or something like that, it helped her aim. I didn't quite get how that sounded like a good thing, and it still sounds funny. I suppose you could track the shoulder or fog line with the ornament.
    Michaell said:

My aunt and uncle had a wagon version of that Pontiac. They used it to pull a 23' travel trailer from PA to CA when they moved to the left coast in 1978. My cousin learned to drive in it - she had an unfortunate tendancy to "aim" it down the road and not make the small course corrections to keep it centered in the lane. That must have been exciting for oncoming traffic.

The Pontiac was replaced with a Suburban after a few years.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    andres3 said:
    So the VW hitting 30K miles is as great of a reason as any to trade it in and get another car and make a punch, right? I think I'm asking the right crowd here :smile: You know, in order to avoid the big 30K mile service job.
    Yes.  Absolutely.  ;)

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    edited June 2019
    fintail said:

When I was a kid, my grandma had an Olds with a hood ornament. She said she liked this, as it helped her "drive straight down the middle of the road" or something like that, it helped her aim. I didn't quite get how that sounded like a good thing, and it still sounds funny. I suppose you could track the shoulder or fog line with the ornament.

Dad’s ‘78 Grand LeMans Safari had a hood ornament, a hood centreline chrome spear, and a fairly prominent center hood bulge. I think they actually did help guide you to stay entered in your lane, at least subconsciously.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• mb_enthusiastmb_enthusiast Member Posts: 232
    What does it mean if there is an "unanswered" question in my dashboard, for lack of a better description?
    My stable: 2019 Audi Q8, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG, and 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500W4Found new homes: 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2011 Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTEC, and 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8Illinois real estate broker and commercial property manager
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,982
    For about 10 years hood ornaments were all the rage, then came the gold packages! If you had both you were really styling. The used 82 Cadillac Cimarron that I bought in 85, the previous owner had a hood ornament installed on it and replaced the tires with wide white wall tires.It looked awful and my goal was to have it removed, and reverse the tires to show black walls. I guess the owner felt the need to shout Cadillac instead of J-car!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

To all dads, Happy Father’s Day. Blessings to you and your family.

Happy Father’s Day to all parents and grandfather’s out there. 
     Entrées three, you know you have our support in here go for it start looking and what the replacement might be more do a bunch of test drives, and report back to us we love reading all in here. 
     Very nice on all of the above pictures Corvette. 
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited June 2019
    If you’re looking to sell old Apple gear, these guys are local to me and are great to work with. They usually are on the high side with their bids for your gear, too.

Https://www.sellyourmac.com

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,422
    andres3 said:
    So the VW hitting 30K miles is as great of a reason as any to trade it in and get another car and make a punch, right? I think I'm asking the right crowd here :smile: You know, in order to avoid the big 30K mile service job.
    What better way to celebrate Father’s Day than with a punch?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Very neat! 
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    nyccarguy said:

andres3 said:

So the VW hitting 30K miles is as great of a reason as any to trade it in and get another car and make a punch, right? I think I'm asking the right crowd here :smile:

You know, in order to avoid the big 30K mile service job.

Unfortunately Carmax is calling over 42 people's bluffs and not lowering the price on the red S4 we are all watching and waiting for them to drop the price on. It's been on their San Jose lot's location for quite some time without a price drop.

I think watching and "favoriting" the car hurts us (us being the 42 plus that have Favorited it). Less than 28K miles on a '15, as soon as they price drop-it; it'll sell. As long as we don't keep pinging their algorithm to hold off on the price drop because we keep looking at the website.

Two biggest flaws are:

1) NO Nappa Leather
    2) NO B&O sound system

Other then that, appears to be loaded model.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,422
    andres3 said:
    andres3 said:
    Unfortunately Carmax is calling over 42 people's bluffs and not lowering the price on the red S4 we are all watching and waiting for them to drop the price on. It's been on their San Jose lot's location for quite some time without a price drop. I think watching and "favoriting" the car hurts us (us being the 42 plus that have Favorited it). Less than 28K miles on a '15, as soon as they price drop-it; it'll sell. As long as we don't keep pinging their algorithm to hold off on the price drop because we keep looking at the website. Two biggest flaws are: 1) NO Nappa Leather 2) NO B&O sound system Other then that, appears to be loaded model.
    How long has it been on their lot?  Maybe they paid more than they should have.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,792
    fintail said:

Funny that you mention that. I recall my grandmother saying something similar the first time I drove her Lincoln Towncar (1991). She said, the best way to tell where the car is in your lane is to place the ornament just to the left of the fog line, or something like that. I scratched my head and decided that it was one way to do it! :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,792

What does it mean if there is an "unanswered" question in my dashboard, for lack of a better description?

If you're speaking of the dashboard for this site, the questions section is a limited scope area where a person can start a new thread by asking a question, and then the rest of us users wander through and try to point them in the right direction. When the original poster decides that a person has answered their question, they can mark it as "answered." So, that notification on your dashboard is just a way to get you to browse the open questions out there. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • mb_enthusiastmb_enthusiast Member Posts: 232
    edited June 2019
    I'm talking about this thing in the corner where a question will show up that has nothing to do with me...

I'm dumb. I don't get it. It's some question about a Honda. Idk about Hondas.
    My stable: 2019 Audi Q8, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG, and 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500W4Found new homes: 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2011 Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTEC, and 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8Illinois real estate broker and commercial property manager
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,846

I'm talking about this thing in the corner where a question will show up that has nothing to do with me...

I'm dumb. I don't get it. It's some question about a Honda. Idk about Hondas.

That is for the entire site. Some people just enjoy answering questions. Everyone sees that number.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    Growing up dad had a string of Olds 98's and Caddy Fleetwoods all of which had the 'bomb sight' on the hood. It was probably the 90 model Olds that was the first that didn't have it.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

My parents had owned at least 6 cars between the two of them that had a hood ornament. When mom finally traded her 78 Olds 98 Regency for a 87 Ford Taurus that’s one of the first things she noticed, no hood ornament! She drove that car for about 10 years before trading it on a 98 Aurora w/sunroof and autobahn suspension. That is her favorite car to date, though she really liked her 98 w/astroroof. Though the Taurus was the top of line LX also with sunroof, she never liked it as much as she did her Oldsmobile’s.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,908
    For the time a loaded Taurus LX was fairly luxurious and had lots of features that similar model cars didn’t have available.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,146
    My grandma's Olds was also replaced by a Taurus. She also commented about the hood ornament, and the trunk height compared to her prior car.

The forums software used here moves in mysterious ways. Nobody seems to fully understand it or why it does certain things at certain times. Don't worry about it, you'll get used to it.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

When you create a discussion, you can designate it as a "question". People who post questions like, "Why won't my car start?" do that. So if you ever check any of the questions and you have an answer, post away! We have quite a collection of automotive knowledge around here :)
     Good to know about all of the above everybody commented on the software in these forums. How was everyone’s weekend? Yesterday just went to my grandmothers, then went to go visit my grandfather at the cemetery, six years since he passed. Yesterday, and we had a little barbecue, and my dad met us there since my parents are divorced, I’ve been for 14 years. Saturday I wanted to go to a car show, but I had no one to drive the car for me oh well there’s always another one, I’ve gone to a cruise night last Wednesday or usually go to started up couple four weeks ago   With my younger cousin and his friend, didn’t see anyone that I knew but whatever if they don’t come up to me and I don’t see them enough to recognize their voice I never would know they’re there anyway. Still job searching going to the gym twice a week enjoying life. 
     See everybody how pretty much perfect that comment above I just brought walas, have to make this a habit and just take my time and not rush and talk super super slow, and make sure there’s no noise around me.  Lol lol
    Can you tell I just ignore the notifications?

Lol @ Corvette 
    Now that I have better WiFi...

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    some interesting stuff there.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    That Honda reminds me of interesting things from 1978.

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    What is that safety car?

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Jarring sight of the '68 Cougar and Toyota Corona staged in front of a 70MPH speed limit changed to oil crisis "55" signage. Got my first ride in a new Cougar in 1967 and loved it. By 1974 I got my first ride in a Corona which surprised me by being a likable little compact. But I was still sure back then that German imports would dominate the Honda and Toyota efforts. :)
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    edited June 2019
    FWIW, I saw nothing in the museum discussing Ford's anti-Semitism, but there is this on their website:
    https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/digital-resources/popular-topics/henry-ford-and-anti-semitism-a-complex-story

Side note, I really detest it when institutions try to paper over unsavory parts of their past - I saw the same issues at the Hoover Dam tour (which glossed over the many workers who died) and visiting Bletchley Park (which pretty much ignored Alan Turing's suicide, which was almost certainly caused by his persecution and criminal conviction due to his sexual orientation).
    omarman said:

Jarring sight of the '68 Cougar and Toyota Corona staged in front of a 70MPH speed limit changed to oil crisis "55" signage. Got my first ride in a new Cougar in 1967 and loved it.

My dad's first car was a burgundy 1968 Cougar, so I immediately sent him that picture!
    The challenges automakers faced with the advent of govt safety regulations in the late ‘60s/early ‘70s were really very significant. I found this film recently which was quite interesting and featured some familiar names from Ford Design in the early ‘70s, like Gene Bordinat and Homer LaGassey. Some of the design and engineering challenges they describe are fascinating.

Change by Design

The reporter is Dave Diles, who I remember as the host of the Prudential College Football Scoreboard Show on ABC during late Saturday fall afternoons in the early-mid 1970s.

edited June 2019
    Also, the G37 has again been wonderful on this trip. The tires and suspension adequately handle the beat-up Michigan pavement, the transmission is quick to respond (even though I've not kept it in sport mode, as @nyccarguy does). It's much quicker to kick down for passing than the Mustang was. Engine braking on downhill stretches is very good. The steering doesn't require many corrections. The seat is very comfortable. I appreciate having a grab handle on the driver's side on longer drives, as it's handy for stretching.