Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    edited June 2019
    Our neighbors had a 69 Corona, same color, just like the one in picture #4. It was a Toyoglide with ac, a real hot rod.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    corvette said:

FWIW, I saw nothing in the museum discussing Ford's anti-Semitism, but there is this on their website:
    https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/digital-resources/popular-topics/henry-ford-and-anti-semitism-a-complex-story

Side note, I really detest it when institutions try to paper over unsavory parts of their past - I saw the same issues at the Hoover Dam tour (which glossed over the many workers who died) and visiting Bletchley Park (which pretty much ignored Alan Turing's suicide, which was almost certainly caused by his persecution and criminal conviction due to his sexual orientation).

The museum and Dearborn mayor have tried to omit Ford’s antisemitism, but the Ford family have always been pretty upfront about it. “Mr. Ford’s descendants have consistently supported Jewish charities and cultural organizations; a recommended reading list of more than a dozen books and articles; and a one-page essay entitled “Why Write About Henry Ford’s Hateful Side?”
    See https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/02/us/henry-ford-jews.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    corvette said:
    Also, the G37 has again been wonderful on this trip. The tires and suspension adequately handle the beat-up Michigan pavement, the transmission is quick to respond (even though I've not kept it in sport mode, as @nyccarguy does). It's much quicker to kick down for passing than the Mustang was. Engine braking on downhill stretches is very good. The steering doesn't require many corrections. The seat is very comfortable. I appreciate having a grab handle on the driver's side on longer drives, as it's handy for stretching.
    I’m glad you are as happy with yours as I am with mine.  It makes an excellent commuter for me.  It’s a good set of tires and a few suspension modifications always from
    being awesome!  

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    Everyone that I’ve known to have the G series love them. The only complaint I’ve heard is gas mileage and the need for premium fuel.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I found another 4-year old S4 with lower miles in red. It's listed significantly cheaper than Carmax, but is in the East Bay Area of CA. Now I know why Carmax's model works so well!!!! For little money, you can take little risk ($300 to ship to SD).

Are there people for hire that'll go look at a car for a few bucks? You really have to do an "Italian" tune up and hoon the Audi to make sure it works right.

There's a blue S4 in Henderson, but more miles on that one.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    Mr. Shiftright is in that area and does inspections. Really for classic cars, but if it isn't something he would handle, he certainly can recommend someone.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    nyccarguy said:

I’m glad you are as happy with yours as I am with mine.  It makes an excellent commuter for me.  It’s a good set of tires and a few suspension modifications always from
    being awesome!  

I'm not planning on any suspension mods, but the plus-zero Cooper tires I bought have been excellent. If I still have it when they wear out, I may go back to the factory size. I think the old Yokohama tires had been exposed to the Atlanta heat too many times and became hardened as a result. Which tires are you running now? Are your wheels the factory 17"?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    SuperBird and Civic! 👍

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

andres3 said:
    I found another 4-year old S4 with lower miles in red. It's listed significantly cheaper than Carmax, but is in the East Bay Area of CA. Now I know why Carmax's model works so well!!!! For little money, you can take little risk ($300 to ship to SD). Are there people for hire that'll go look at a car for a few bucks? You really have to do an "Italian" tune up and hoon the Audi to make sure it works right. There's a blue S4 in Henderson, but more miles on that one.
    It seems like you are getting rid of your TTS which you love due to the escalating insurance rates.  Up until about 5 years ago, I was always given 1 quote for insuring the Prelude then was always asked:  “Wait.  Do you have?” And I would reply:  “Yes.  It is a Type SH.”  Which for the longest time had a higher rate.  Nobody likes to give insurance companies their hard earned money.  Just pay to play.  I’m guessing you can afford it.  If you don’t pay your insurance company the extra $800 per year (which i will admit is A LOT), then you are going to spend it on some random repair on this used S4 you seek out.  Of if you really want to ditch the TTS for another S4, then lease a new one that suits your specs.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    edited June 2019
    Is that the Chicago blizzard? I have vague memories of that. We were living in Arkansas at the time and still got some snow. We burned through all of our snow days and had to go a couple of Saturdays to make up. Talk about some unhappy kids; and teachers for that matter.

I do remember my dad putting cinder blocks in the trunk of his car when it snowed. Not sure if it helped. RWD and V-8, not the best combo for snow!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited June 2019
    corvette said:

Can you tell I just ignore the notifications?

Heh... yea, I clear my notifications once in a while, just because. All you do is click on that red number, choose All Notifications, which takes you to your profile. Just come back to the forum and the number is cleared. But you got a big number, impressive! :)
    corvette said:

nyccarguy said:

being awesome!  

I'm not planning on any suspension mods, but the plus-zero Cooper tires I bought have been excellent. If I still have it when they wear out, I may go back to the factory size. I think the old Yokohama tires had been exposed to the Atlanta heat too many times and became hardened as a result. Which tires are you running now? Are your wheels the factory 17"?
    I'm still running the factory 17s. The dealer that I bought from swapped out the original tires (after only 7,468 miles) with a set of Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2. They are still in good shape. They perform OK, but nothing to write home about.

Pirelli PZero Nero GT's get good reviews as do BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S.

I find the car doesn't transition between lanes as well as I'd like, especially on choppy pavement. It does "axle hop" over expansion joints. I've read that an upgraded rear anti-roll car works wonders for keeping the car planted. The stock upgraded rear anti-roll bar from the "IPL" cars fit as well as from Stillen & Hotchkis.

andres3 said:

I found another 4-year old S4 with lower miles in red. It's listed significantly cheaper than Carmax, but is in the East Bay Area of CA. Now I know why Carmax's model works so well!!!! For little money, you can take little risk ($300 to ship to SD).

Are there people for hire that'll go look at a car for a few bucks? You really have to do an "Italian" tune up and hoon the Audi to make sure it works right.

There is also an Audi Dealer who posts on Lease Hackr that's in Southern California. Maybe you can get in touch with him and he'll keep an eye out for anything incoming (new or off lease).

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    Lots of car watching by me here in Spain. Couple of cool volvos and BMWs we don’t get in the US, such as the new v40 and the 1-series hatch (looks much like the old clownshoe z3. By far, the best looking all around as a company has to be Peugeot. Love the sedans, hatches, wagons, and even small SUVs. We wound up with a lowly Opel van as our chariot for the stay. Its not awful. And the “i would totally export that home” award goes to the Lada Niva. Absolutely LOVED looking at this one at the gas station.

Will have to post pics when I am back on wifi

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

Lots of car watching by me here in Spain. Couple of cool volvos and BMWs we don’t get in the US, such as the new v40 and the 1-series hatch (looks much like the old clownshoe z3. By far, the best looking all around as a company has to be Peugeot. Love the sedans, hatches, wagons, and even small SUVs. We wound up with a lowly Opel van as our chariot for the stay. Its not awful. And the “i would totally export that home” award goes to the Lada Niva. Absolutely LOVED looking at this one at the gas station.

Thanks for checking in! I hope you are enjoying your trip!

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @QB  glad you’re enjoying your vacation thanks for checking in 
     Well everything else posted about everybody !
    @  Corvette nice and warm you posted from your trip glad it’s going well. 
    qbrozen said:

I'm also very excited to hear about your vacation because our kids are similar in age and I'm curious to see what's out there for them.

One of the best parts of my trip to Ireland. All the neat cars.

Had to look up the niva. You can sorta buy one here (used). It was the basis for the Suzuki Vitara.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    The Golf's sitting at the VW store right now, $138 just to look at it and will be applied to any fix they do. A bit much but have to do something if I ever intend to sell it. Was looking at their used stuff and found a nice 2016 EOS and a 2015 EOS, the '15 model having the better audio system but the '16 a better color combo. Have always liked them and passed on a brown over beige beauty there a few years back, a big mistake!
    Brought it in around 9:30 and besides calling me to tell me they found my keys, nothing. Hopefully they'll find the issue and I'll get out of there for not much more than the $138. Besides upkeep and tires, first real money I've spent on it since new. A battery, air filter, new wiper blades, tires and oil changes are just things one must do to maintain any vehicle over time. The other issues I've had were all covered by warranty so this is the first I've spent out of the ordinary on it.
    But, next time, want something with a longer warranty.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    nyccarguy said:

I find the car doesn't transition between lanes as well as I'd like, especially on choppy pavement. It does "axle hop" over expansion joints. I've read that an upgraded rear anti-roll car works wonders for keeping the car planted. The stock upgraded rear anti-roll bar from the "IPL" cars fit as well as from Stillen & Hotchkis.

How many miles on it again?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Henry Ford wasn't to bright to libel a group of Americans like he did and I know it effected the cars our family bought for many years. My grandparents would never own a Ford product though my folks leased a '66 Lincoln Continental and bought a '72 Lincoln Continental and a '72 Ford Torino GT, one of the worst operating vehicles we ever owned. I drove it home from the dealership and never made it as it had to be towed back to the dealer within a few miles. The '72 Mustang loaner we had for a few weeks is what they should've bought!
    We never ever thought about buying any German vehicle until a few years back when we finally decided to give it a try. Hell, they're both made in Mexico!
    But Henry was just plain dumb to alienate a certain group of folks who probably bought a lot of vehicles. Why would any businessman do something like that and it's still being discussed years later. Just seems foolish, but all hate is foolish...something we have to teach because it's not born within us.
    And a dumb mayor who by his actions made it bigger than it had to be. And whatever point he was trying to make has been lost and just makes him look ignorant. Sure, it was a stupid move on his part but just showed his ignorance for the world to see!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    au1994 said:

Is that the Chicago blizzard? I have vague memories of that. We were living in Arkansas at the time and still got some snow. We burned through all of our snow days and had to go a couple of Saturdays to make up. Talk about some unhappy kids; and teachers for that matter.

I do remember my dad putting cinder blocks in the trunk of his car when it snowed. Not sure if it helped. RWD and V-8, not the best combo for snow!

The caption posted on WBUR (Boston's NPR News Station) is, "Residents of Farragut Road in South Boston dig out cars from snowdrifts from the blizzard of '78. (AP)"

Wiki uses that same image for their 1967 Chicago blizzard page. :)
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.

Our Vitara never looked like this.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

That’s cause we got the Grand!

Here is our rental

@qbrozen

how's the driving over there?

One of the Peugeots I am rather smitten with. Yes, looks like an E-wagon.

stickguy said:
    That’s cause we got the Grand!
    I found on wiki that it “inspired” the suzuki, but have not found a direct connection. Any source on that? That one I took a pic of seems to be maybe a ‘91, which predates the grand vitara by quite a bit. 

nyccarguy said:
    @qbrozen how's the driving over there?
    Honestly, very very easy. hairiest part was today when I tried to take us through the winding streets surrounding a castillo. I came to a dead end and had to make a u-turn on a street barely wider than the van is long. Yikes. 

Just called with the bad news. It's in need of a new cable and another part which is not in stock. Gonna order it and will come back on Thursday to have it fixed. No sense missing work tomorrow when they can't promise it'll be done tomorrow afternoon as the part won't be in till after 1 pm. They said come pick it up and the $138 will be applied to the $570 plus tax bill! I'm in shock right now and times like these I wish I had a toy that could be used when the other two can't be used!
    Kinda sucks because it didn't always happen but eventually, it would have had to be fixed. So, bite the bullet now, or later on down the road. Hopefully this will be it until the end of 2019 and can possibly trade it in on a new 2020 model later on this year. Not the best scenario but one that'll have to do for the moment.

Any chance they can pin it on the accident? Worth a try submitting a claim.

I like the opel. Great family car.

And the pug reminds me of a Regal wagon.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    stickguy said:

Any chance they can pin it on the accident? Worth a try submitting a claim.

Unless there was actual damage (bent sheet metal, etc) on the driver's door, then I would guess no.

If there were any damage on that door, then probably yes.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    I know they replaced a door. Don't recall if it was that one though.

stickguy said:

I know they replaced a door. Don't recall if it was that one though.

IIRC, the rear passenger door was replaced, but this issue is on the driver's door.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited June 2019
    nyccarguy said:

andres3 said:

It seems like you are getting rid of your TTS which you love due to the escalating insurance rates.  Up until about 5 years ago, I was always given 1 quote for insuring the Prelude then was always asked:  “Wait.  Do you have?” And I would reply:  “Yes.  It is a Type SH.”  Which for the longest time had a higher rate.  Nobody likes to give insurance companies their hard earned money.  Just pay to play.  I’m guessing you can afford it.  If you don’t pay your insurance company the extra $800 per year (which i will admit is A LOT), then you are going to spend it on some random repair on this used S4 you seek out.  Of if you really want to ditch the TTS for another S4, then lease a new one that suits your specs.

I ain't giving up on the TTS just yet!!! AIN is a word, LOL!

I'm trading in the Alltrack for the S4 (should I move forward with this intoxicating plan!).

That way it's not much more money, and I get a car I always wanted vs. what my wife wanted and no longer wants (Alltrack). Not only can I get the S4 I always liked, and had a good experience with, but I can buy an undamaged one.... except....

Now I find out the rear bumpers been bashed twice on the Richmond CA random used car dealer Misano Red S4; hence the lower price tag. They claim the report says minor and rear bumper for both incidents. IF you have to take a hit, the rear's the spot to take it.... and of course the salesman says the car is a 9/10 with great rear bumper body work (can't even tell he says). Need to confirm it's one owner so far.... Also, this car has had a birthday at this dealer according to the Edmunds app (good app), due to greedy asking prices in the past (way down now).

The San Jose Carmax red S4 is holding its price, but that one doesn't have the sound system upgrade (BIG VALUE), nor the supercharged badges upgrade (SMALL but of value to me). On the plus side, it has like 7K less miles, but on the negative side two owners but no accidents on the report.

I'm debating taking the TTS off full insurance coverage to save $1,000/year. I have 6-months more payments, the bank will balk at me self-insuring, and the rate is 1.49%!!! Might not want to pay off a rate that low 6-mo. early. On the other hand, that rate isn't worth 500 bucks for 6 months. Still sleeping on this one.... I can keep comprehensive and still save huge....
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited June 2019
    nyccarguy said:

andres3 said:

There is also an Audi Dealer who posts on Lease Hackr that's in Southern California. Maybe you can get in touch with him and he'll keep an eye out for anything incoming (new or off lease).
    My problem is I insist on an appropriate colored S4 (or any car for that matter). That means my next car will not be white, black, or any shade of gray/silver. That pretty much means I need to find a needle in a haystack when looking at Audi's.

My insistence and inflexibility on color might be a good reason to pay the Carmax premium. Their model is good for people like me, and they come with a 30-day warranty. Trust me, I'll make sure if something's going to break, it'll break in those 30 days of hard life for the S4, and the bonus is I'll have a lot of fun trying to break it like I stole it!
    If you're still interested in the "dirty" car, just go check it out. It's not that far away! There's always a difference between somebody else buggering up a car and it happening while you own it. No matter how minor, it always hurts worse when it's your car at the time.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    @nyccarguy , I think those Hankooks are OEM on some other makes. I'm surprised they've lasted you as long as they have.

I'm planning on getting my new Coopers rotated once I get back home. I'm beginning to hear some noise on smooth pavement as if they are getting some irregular edge wear.
    corvette said:
    @nyccarguy , I think those Hankooks are OEM on some other makes. I'm surprised they've lasted you as long as they have. I'm planning on getting my new Coopers rotated once I get back home. I'm beginning to hear some noise on smooth pavement as if they are getting some irregular edge wear.
    Don’t forget, I have a set of winter tires which I have mounted on the car from December - April.

xwesx said:
    How many miles on it again?
    I just crossed the 50K mile barrier last week.

• mb_enthusiastmb_enthusiast Member Posts: 232
    omarman said:

au1994 said:

The caption posted on WBUR (Boston's NPR News Station) is, "Residents of Farragut Road in South Boston dig out cars from snowdrifts from the blizzard of '78. (AP)"

Wiki uses that same image for their 1967 Chicago blizzard page. :)
    Based on those 1950s style buildings in the background, I would guess that it's Chicago. Boston doesn't have many of those buildings, but Chicago has a ton of them.
    My stable: 2019 Audi Q8, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG, and 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500W4Found new homes: 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2011 Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTEC, and 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8Illinois real estate broker and commercial property manager
    xwesx said:
    If you're still interested in the "dirty" car, just go check it out. It's not that far away! There's always a difference between somebody else buggering up a car and it happening while you own it. No matter how minor, it always hurts worse when it's your car at the time.
    Agreed.  If the car is perfect other than the fact that the bumper has been hit, as long as it is priced appropriately, then go for it.

andres3 said:
    I found another 4-year old S4 with lower miles in red. It's listed significantly cheaper than Carmax, but is in the East Bay Area of CA. Now I know why Carmax's model works so well!!!! For little money, you can take little risk ($300 to ship to SD). Are there people for hire that'll go look at a car for a few bucks? You really have to do an "Italian" tune up and hoon the Audi to make sure it works right. There's a blue S4 in Henderson, but more miles on that one.
    My problem is I insist on an appropriate colored S4 (or any car for that matter). That means my next car will not be white, black, or any shade of gray/silver. That pretty much means I need to find a needle in a haystack when looking at Audi's. My insistence and inflexibility on color might be a good reason to pay the Carmax premium. Their model is good for people like me, and they come with a 30-day warranty. Trust me, I'll make sure if something's going to break, it'll break in those 30 days of hard life for the S4, and the bonus is I'll have a lot of fun trying to break it like I stole it!
    How much more is the CarMax car?  How much is their famed Doug DeMuro warranty?

@QB nice on all of the above!
    @sand. Man glad your car will be getting fixed 
    @ondrays3. Glad your are not giving. Up keep on fiting!