Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,199
    I liked the looks of the Sky, but I've never seen one without chrome wheels. pass.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    I like chrome wheels... but then again I drive a Buick

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    stickguy said:

the automatic kills that one for me.

The manual in these was a 5-speed and a piece of crap. Autobox is the way to go.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    edited June 2019
    Having owned a 92 Miata 5sp, I was spoiled by the nice shifting trans and wonderfully simple top to lower and raise. The Miata was a fun weekend car. The SKY and Solstice were neat looking cars. From what I remember lowering and raising the top on those was a multi step cumbersome and frustrating experience.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    Automatic is never the way to go in a 2 seat convertible sports car. Sacrilege.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

sda said:

Having owned a 92 Miata 5sp, I was spoiled by the nice shifting trans and wonderfully simple top to lower and raise. The Miata was a fun weekend car. The SKY and Solstice were neat looking cars. From what I remember lowering and raising the top on those was a multi step cumbersome and frustrating experience.

Yes, that's what I read as well. Apparently not quite as bad as the old British erector-set ones, but not simple either.

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,056
    fin, that is the car model I saw on High St. at Miami U. It was a maroon or blood-red color though.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,056
    Solstice and Sky--I thought the styling of both was better than anything else out there like them. I remember in my little hometown, a Solstice was the last brand-new Pontiac the dealer had in inventory.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    Two sightings today on a short errand-running trip: a R-body Chrysler New Yorker in pristine condition, with what I suspect is a non-factory paint job. It had the two-tone pattern but instead of the typical cream and beige it had a silver and dark blue combination. Looked good. Moments later I found myself behind a mid-'80s 1st-gen Datsun/Nissan 300ZX. Hadn't seen one of those around here in forever. Looked strangely dated for what was a cutting-edge car at the time.

mid engine day. a 1st gen MR2, and a last gen MRspyder

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    ab348 said:

Two sightings today on a short errand-running trip: a R-body Chrysler New Yorker in pristine condition, with what I suspect is a non-factory paint job. It had the two-tone pattern but instead of the typical cream and beige it had a silver and dark blue combination. Looked good.

Actually, they did offer that combination on the 1980 non-5th Avenue New Yorkers. It was called "Nightwatch Blue / Burnished Silver Metallic". The 5th Ave that year was offered in the more typical creme/beige, although I believe it was a slightly different hue from the 1979, and a new, solid color, "Black Walnut Metallic".

I'd imagine there aren't too many 1980 New Yorkers around, in general. They only sold about 13,000 of them, new, down from around 54,000 in 1979. They sold about 15,000 5th Ave editions in '79, all of them that two-tone beige/creme color, so that's probably why that color seems so common, relatively speaking.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    "Nightwatch Blue / Burnished Silver Metallic".

Sure your not confusing that with the Georgia Highway Patrol ;)
    Early T-Bird

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Big money

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Fun pic of a restored fintail towing a restored (Euro style) travel trailer. They'll tow anything with anything there, I can't imagine this here, and my car would throw a fit

I assume the Ferrari is a 250 GT.
    fintail said:

Fun pic of a restored fintail towing a restored (Euro style) travel trailer. They'll tow anything with anything there, I can't imagine this here, and my car would throw a fit

I assume the Ferrari is a 250 GT.

Correct

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

berri said:

"Nightwatch Blue / Burnished Silver Metallic".

Sure your not confusing that with the Georgia Highway Patrol ;)

LOL...heck, even my old county has a variation of it, on an F-word, even :p

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I love the colors of this one. These used to be really common but not so much these days.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/ranger/2281099.html

I wish there were more pics offered. Most 390s of that era end up with cracked exhaust manifolds and I wonder if this one is afflicted too. Interesting in that even though the Ranger trim was pretty top-line back then, this is still pretty basic inside.

Saw an oddity today, a Yukon "GT" in pristine condition, just like this:

I was unfamiliar with that trim level. One brought just shy of 30K on BaT last year, so it must be worth 15K anyway.
    took a quick run to Lancaster today. quite a few interesting cars out. Nice clean 69ish Satellite wagon (rare to see one of those), and assortment of the usual Novas, Chevelles, etc. Oddest was something from the 20s (don't think it was a Model A, maybe the Chevy equivalent), actually out on a 4 lane sorta-highway (route 30). Definitely defining the slow lane, but it was moving along at maybe 45? not sure if cracking 50. Odd odd sighting.

fintail said:

Is there a color that fintail doesn’t look good? Bright yellow perhaps?

drove up for the Mets game today. The Jersey turnpike and cutting through NYC is not prime classic spotting, but in the lot just parked among the rest of the cars was a 1969ish continental Mark III. Stunning in black, though had hideous chrome dubs on it. But body was immaculate. Shocked someone would drive it there!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118
    stickguy said:

drove up for the Mets game today. The Jersey turnpike and cutting through NYC is not prime classic spotting, but in the lot just parked among the rest of the cars was a 1969ish continental Mark III. Stunning in black, though had hideous chrome dubs on it. But body was immaculate. Shocked someone would drive it there!

Off topic question - how do you get to the ballpark from South Jersey? I'd assume Verrazano Narrows bridge...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I take the Jersey Turnpike to the top and go over the George Washington bridge. usually a bit quicker, and to me a better drive. Plus cheaper I think (the VN is really expensive these days!) Plus the BQE is a lousy road. But, either way can work.

stickguy said:

I take the Jersey Turnpike to the top and go over the George Washington bridge. usually a bit quicker, and to me a better drive. Plus cheaper I think (the VN is really expensive these days!) Plus the BQE is a lousy road. But, either way can work.

Huh. Interesting. Wouldn't have thought the long way was quicker, but you certainly know the area better than I do.

I'm just fascinated by the tunnels and bridges in and around NYC. Never done the VN, but I remember taking the GW when I was on vacation as a teen in the 70's. We had flown to Tennessee to visit my mom's family, then borrowed a car for the drive to see my dad's family in Westchester County. I believe I was the navigator, and managed to get us lost around DC (not sure I-66 was compete at the time).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

driving in and around NYC is a bit of an art form. Logic doesn't always apply.

stickguy said:

driving in and around NYC is a bit of an art form. Logic doesn't always apply.

I can understand that. I've driven in Manhattan only a couple of times, and then to get off the island in a rental car and head to another destination.

I've done the NJT a lot, however. My godparents lived in Moorsetown and I would visit them anytime I got close to the area.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

The cars had a wide variety of possible colors, some better than others

I think time may have finally been kind to the styling, too. Once reviled because of the fins, they are now seen as fun kitsch, and something unique. The front end of 6cyl models has the timeless 4 lights/large light assembles like the later 108/109 cars and coupes, while the rest is something modern in 1959.
    sda said:

Is there a color that fintail doesn’t look good? Bright yellow perhaps?

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A Monday morning tester in the background :)

I can’t get a clear view, Vega Kammback?

it kinda looks like that, but seems too long and rear window line seems off. and the trunk lid. Could just be the camera angle. Hard for me to get a clear view of it.

can't wait to find out what it actually is!

My guess would be a Vega Kammback as well. What is that scene from? I'm picking up a "Rockford Files" vibe. That light green '73-74 Nova behind the Rolls is what's doing it, I think.
    I watched a 1976 Price Is Right on Youtube yesterday. One of the cars was a green Vega Kammback.

Another gem found online - looks heavy, and the early Trabi is an uncommon sight:

Poor fintail, huffing and puffing, loaded down.

Max 135 hp engine (the old hp) of somewhat small displacement - not the most relaxed tow rig.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    sda said:

Poor fintail, huffing and puffing, loaded down.

It needs some helper springs back there, or maybe airbags. :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    If someone was looking to take command of a land yacht, I think you might find this one to your liking:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163739680791?ul_noapp=true

Unfortunately someone decided not only to paint the engine incorrectly, but to use the same wrong paint on the air cleaner. Sounds small, but that sort of thing just makes me wonder how many other slapdash things were done to ready this one for sale.

Pretty color combo though and appears to be in nice condition.

sda said:

I can’t get a clear view, Vega Kammback?

Sorry for delaying your DING DING :)
    andre1969 said:

My guess would be a Vega Kammback as well. What is that scene from? I'm picking up a "Rockford Files" vibe. That light green '73-74 Nova behind the Rolls is what's doing it, I think.

Sorta close on the show. Columbo... now if you came up with the episode...LOL
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    ab - is the "club" on the steering wheel included ;)
    If it is I hope the key is also included.

PF_Flyer said:

"Any Old Port in A Storm". :p
    On my street, a clean looking later run grand marquis. White. Blue cloth roof and shiny chrome wheels. On the c pillar, script lettering that said “palm beach edition”. Very fitting.

andre1969 said:

PF_Flyer said:

"Any Old Port in A Storm". :p
    Double DING DING!
    A TCM kinda day :)

First guess would be about a 1938 DeSoto, long wheelbase model? I can't remember if they were using the "Suburban" name at that point? Something about the headlights looks funny, but maybe they were altered for the movie, to get the brightness they needed?
    Ding ding..'38

edited June 2019
    In preparation for, and to give you a heads up on the upcoming comment box changes, I've posted a guide to the new comment box. I've covered everything, where you can find it, how to use it, and what it does. Any questions you might have can be posted here in this thread. Shouldn't be too big of an adjustment. It is simply a settings change on the comment box, NOT a change in the forums software. How you navigate, sign in, and all the rest remains the same. This will get us past the issues some users have had with the links for attaching images and the like. Check it out. Wanted to try and make sure that everyone, especially you folks that make a lot of posts, will be prepared and not surprised when we implement this.

Coming Attractions - Changes to the Comment Box
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    Great write-up! I have to say, though.... those emojis are not emotorcons. :(
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250