Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Gun shy" considering another Equinox

capecodbeachfrontcapecodbeachfront Member Posts: 13
edited June 2019 in Chevrolet
My wife has enjoyed her 2011 Equinox. (2.5 engine with auto transmission).
BUT we have had major issues with it. For the first time in my car buying history we had to replace transmission at 55k miles.. Out of warranty because of the 5 year rule. Exhaust replaced. Sway bar replaced. Brakes replaced and then replaced again because of 'lub' problem? Car still only has under 70k miles on it but we are ready to replace as tires are next to go and brakes still make noise. Now I have to decide if I want to chance another Equinox. Are they still experiencing transmission failures? The 1.5 turbo would seem to be undersized? I have never owned a turbo but have repeatedly been told they have maintenance issues? Often fail at 60k miles? The 2.0 turbo requires premium gas? Should I chance another Equinox? My other choices would be a Rav4 or a Rogue.

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,985

My wife has enjoyed her 2011 Equinox. (2.5 engine with auto transmission).
    BUT we have had major issues with it. For the first time in my car buying history we had to replace transmission at 55k miles.. Out of warranty because of the 5 year rule. Exhaust replaced. Sway bar replaced. Brakes replaced and then replaced again because of 'lub' problem? Car still only has under 70k miles on it but we are ready to replace as tires are next to go and brakes still make noise. Now I have to decide if I want to chance another Equinox. Are they still experiencing transmission failures? The 1.5 turbo would seem to be undersized? I have never owned a turbo but have repeatedly been told they have maintenance issues? Often fail at 60k miles? The 2.0 turbo requires premium gas? Should I chance another Equinox? My other choices would be a Rav4 or a Rogue.

You should test drive all three, and do some serious research on the reliability and maintenance costs of each. You can check truedelta.com or Consumer Reports.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• capecodbeachfrontcapecodbeachfront Member Posts: 13
    Went to truedelta... Looked interesting and new to me. Click thru to Equinox and was then told I had used up my monthly 'free' quota. Disappointing since I never got any real information.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

Went to truedelta... Looked interesting and new to me. Click thru to Equinox and was then told I had used up my monthly 'free' quota. Disappointing since I never got any real information.

One other data point. My brother-in-law had their 2012 Equinox engine replaced by GM (within the last year). Started sounding wonky, recently, so they traded it for a Ford Edge.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator