Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    breld said:

@andres3 - don't blame you for trying to track down another S4. I always thought mine was quite the perfect car, being such a great combination of luxury and sport. I know you're fond of the DSG, but the 6-speed manual in mine was sublime.

And I'm with you on being particular about the colors, though I would extend that to interior as well. Not a fan of the two-tone leather interiors that were available in those S4s. Mine was all black, which I thought was sharp. Also had the layered wood trim which was beautiful. Looked like a nice pin-stripe suit!

And I'm a sucker for the black optic package.

But of course, you put all that together, and you're quickly narrowing your search to unicorn levels.

To keep from going down to a Unicorn, you have to give some things up.

My other non-negotiable is Rear-Sport-Differential!!!! I think 85+% of them have it, but the one's that don't are a travesty.

The B&O audio, while not the best, was a no brainer at $850 when new.... a shame when not equipped.

The supercharged badges were overpriced, but I just never liked the V6T badge if you opt out.

I'm actuallya big fan of both the Nappa Leather, and the two-toned colored interiors, especially in red/black combo, but to each their own. The one's I'm seeing for sale lately are all black, and the base Alcantara/Leather mix. Not necessarily a bad thing as it has way more friction than Nappa leather and holds you better in the spirited twisties.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    Those Peugeots look nice, but I remember seeing some other Peugeots that were nothing short of hideous in styling.

I recall a Top Gear segment from several years ago when Clarkson & Co. absolutely excoriated the company for moving away from fun driver's cars to dull, boring, unappealing designs.

https://youtu.be/JQugEZOrZSc

Maybe they are rebounding.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    A new member has an interesting question about identifying a couple of cars.

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/56627/general/x/help-identify-two-cars-in-photo-from-south-africa#latest

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Time to go to VW, hopefully this nightmare will be over soon. Sad, but it's not accident related since only the rear door was replaced. Seems to me this is an odd thing to go bad but since I didn't get the extended warranty, it's on me. Hoping nothing else goes wrong in the next 40K miles or so. Just need to keep it running into the beginning of 2020 until those other vehicles I like have been out awhile.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

Time to go to VW, hopefully this nightmare will be over soon. Sad, but it's not accident related since only the rear door was replaced. Seems to me this is an odd thing to go bad but since I didn't get the extended warranty, it's on me. Hoping nothing else goes wrong in the next 40K miles or so. Just need to keep it running into the beginning of 2020 until those other vehicles I like have been out awhile.

Sandy

The extended warranty would have cost you a lot more than this 1 repair. Yes it stinks, but you LOVE the car and haven't had any other issues thus far.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    PF_Flyer said:

Any CCBAers have some thoughts that could help this truck shopper??

Does anyone make a short, stout truck (see details)

Just not sure that anything exists for what he wants

I don;t think it exists anymore either. A regular cab full size might fit the bill, but yeah its still big. Sounds to me like what he wants is a Ranger, Toyota or Nissan from the 80's.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

nyccarguy said:

Porsche Problems:

So last week my Mom tells me that passenger side front carpeting on her 2016 Cayenne was soaked. She thought maybe a bottle of water spilled, but then felt water spraying on her while she was driving. I told her that her A/C drains were most likely clogged and would need to be drained out. She took the car to Porsche the next day, they gave her a 2018 Macan to drive as a loaner, and confirmed my suspicions. Drains are clogged and the carpeting has to be removed so the vehicle can dry out properly.

The next day they call and tell us they found the low speed grinding noise she's been complaining about for quite some time. Transfer case is shot and needs to be replaced. $2,500. Whoa! Hold on there pal! Wasn't that replaced under warranty not that long ago? "I'll get back to you."

Guy calls me back the next day and said they replaced the transfer case at 55,000 miles out of warranty as a "Goodwill Gesture." Since it was replaced out of warranty as a Goodwill Gesture, it is not covered under their 2 year unlimited mile "parts warranty." He spoke to Porsche Corporate and they said the transfer case shouldn't have gone bad again at 72,500 miles (less than a year). Porsche has offered to pay for 1/2 @ $1,250. I hang up from the dealer and call Porsche corporate myself. They open a case for me and say they'll get back to me in 2-3 business days.

I don't hear from Corporate, so I call them myself this afternoon. They tell me that they are willing to offer additional assistance, but I (I called as my Dad) will still be responsible for $876.74 plus tax. Case closed.

SO I put a call into the service manager to talk to him to tell him to go ahead with the repair. Meanwhile, my Mom has put close to 1,000 miles on the loaner Macan since last Thursday.

With the 80K service lurking on the horizon, they will most likely ditch the Cayenne. I'm going to look into leasing for them.

That sucks and its really hard to believe that the second transfer case failed too. At least they are stepping up somewhat. Should be fun shopping for her though!

henryn said:

breld said:

A co-worker friend just hit me up for an opinion on a value for his truck. He's looking to sell it to his brother as a first vehicle for his nephew.

2001 Tundra Limited with...88k miles.

That's not a "KBB" car. He wants to make a friendly family deal for his brother, but also wants to get an appropriate value for it - not the $3,200 that KBB hits it at.

Honestly, I think a listing on craigslist for $10k would have it sold in hours.

Assuming the truck is clean, in good condition, I would agree with you that the $3,200 is completely unrealistic. I also think $10k is probably too high. A lot is going to depend on condition and appearance.
    With those miles you could ask 10k private party and take the 1st 8k offered.

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @ PF flyer, thanks for the clarification and the posting above, I’m glad it’s OK to bust your chops  lol 
    @ New York car guy, sorry to hear about the issues your mom is having with her 2016 Porsche, but yes would be fun to go with her and do a bunch of test drives of many different things when she’s ready to see what she likes. 
    @qb  I agree with everyone else about the pictures from your vacation are awesome, keep on posting them.  Lol lol
    @ send man good luck at the repair shop today let us know how it goes. 
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Yep, you're right about that. Another $470 and tax today so a bit expensive but, it works they say. Have a year warranty so that's good, though should really be till I sell it. But truth is, I do love the car, best I've ever owned I think.
    On another note, while at VW, stopped in to talk to one of the big guys and just asked about employment as a shuttle driver. My service advisor told me that one of their long term drivers had recently retired and it was a bit chaotic right now. So went to see the top guy. Mentioned that I've applied either 2 or 3 times in the past by filling out an application and giving it to him! I asked him outright is my using a cane a factor in their refusal to even acknowledge my previous attempts at employment. Explained that I've been a driver at Hertz for over 5 years now but the distance is starting to become an issue. Since I live not even 5 minutes from this store, it would work out better for me to work close to him. Told me to fill out another app and give it personally to him. Naturally when I was done, I did it within 20 minutes, he was gone and was told he'd stepped out of the office for "awhile". My vehicle was done about 0 minutes later and after I paid, walked by his office but still, he was gone.
    Not surprised one bit but we'll see. I could be a pain and keep going over there every few days but don't want to look like a nut so, will just wait and see if anything happens. I know my boss will give me a great rec if they do call and I know my cane is a negative, but I really do need it to walk at this point as my left leg is very weak from the injury. I need it for balance but driving is no problem for me.
    We'll just wait and see what happens.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The new editor will be turned on tomorrow. No need to have you hold on to anything :) It's just a setting... and if someone left a penny in place of a circuit breaker and we see sparks, it can be switched off. If you DO have questions or see anything squirrely, use the Forums Feedback and Suggestions discussion so we don't have to dig to find them. Thanks
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    Probably a good time for it. All of the functionality of my comment box is broken today. I cannot click on anything, though manual typing of html code works okay. That's not helpful for image uploads, though!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited June 2019
    Hey, I actually FINALLY had the Attach Image icon not work for me on my ipad this morning. Just didn't do anything. I backed up one screen, moved forward one screen and it worked again. Seems the the Comcast solution of, "Did you unplug the modem?" works for almost anything :)
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    So far all seems to be working today for me. For now. But like you say entering the code works when clicking doesn't.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    omarman said:

So far all seems to be working today for me. For now. But like you say entering the code works when clicking doesn't.

The icons not working seemed SO random, but that ought to be behind us with the new editor. And on the odd chance that the issue crops up for some with the new editor, that will help narrow down possibilities as well. The expectation is that there won't be any issues, but in case something crops up, let us know!
    Conspiracy, I say!

I'm totally shut down here. It's text or nothing. :(
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    On a whim, I decided the time-honored "try a different browser" trick. Sure enough, works just fine in Chrome. However, I will say that I *always* use Firefox for this forum, and this is the first time having this issue.
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Firefox 67.0.2 here and no problems but I delayed a Windows 10 upgrade restart this morning which probably helps. If only for a while.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    Firefox here too and after several days of the pull-downs working fine, as of this morning they are on the fritz again.

The only time I've had the icons not working, going "back" and then "forward" (essentially a refresh of the page) got them working again. Just a "for what it's worth".
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

Well...everything seems to be working as expected. And hey, more emojis!💩

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

Seems OK to me too.🙈🙉🙊 Oh fun!!

edited June 2019

True, except they are extra-tiny, so readers will know you wanted to push some sort of expression their way, but not really know what or why. :p

Edit: Apparently, lack of HTML functionality extends to auto-translation of emoji ASCII.

I was looking for the poop emoji earlier but there were so many I did not find it.

So far so good for me too, actually you all made it 100 times easier for me when typing to get into the edit box was a lot harder to prior updates, please don’t change just the way it is. And I was worried for what ha ha. Happy Friday everybody.

@ send man, glad your car is good to go and fixed. Keep on fighting hopefully they’ll give you a chance this time when you submit your application for the third time, or use a different cane then you just for walking you know what blind people use. But keep on fighting I know it’s frustrating at times send man. And we are all in here to support you.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

🍋 that's the only emoji I need for talking about my old Neon.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

@ entrées three, yes agree on your above posting hopefully you will have a repeat of that with any future car you buy what is no guarantee on anything like that in life. I hope you do end up keeping the Audi TT they would love so much.

@ Andries three, that is I hope you don’t have a repeat of that with any future car, man but above posting makes me sound so horrible I wouldn’t wish that on anybody even my worst enemy. lol

Nice weather here in New York, how’s the weather where everyone is? Anyone doing any car looking or shopping this weekend.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

Been about 80 and sunny every day here in Spain. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Feels like October here in Nova Scotia. Big rain all day yesterday, cloudy, windy and in the mid-50s today.

+1 for Colorado, too. Snow in the mountains , and lots of rain here. Low 60's today

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698

It’s bad enough when you go to Costco and end up with more than anticipated.

It’s downright tricky when you take the Miata.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

It's been very d++++ hot here in Houston. There was a heat advisory Thursday, the heat index hit 108. A bit cooler Friday (yesterday), the heat index only hit 104.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    edited June 2019

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited June 2019

Like the roses you got, @breld, for Mrs. Breld. Good work!

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    edited June 2019

Except for bad weather, do you take the Cutlass out to stretch its legs? I know you can’t or won’t do it year round.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

It actually hasn't been driven yet this year except out of the garage into the driveway for a variety of reasons to date, but it will be out and about pretty soon. We have had virtually no Spring and only in the last couple of weeks have we had more than the odd day where you would want to drive with the windows down. It's been horrible here.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435

hopefully the roses are for her.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

A balmy 90 degrees and high humidity here in Charlotte for a lacrosse tournament. Wet undies are not pleasant 😕

@breld nice on the flowers for the wife!

Nice all on all of the different. Weather. Reports!!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

The roses are for his wife because he had to leave her there!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    edited June 2019

Yep, and thunderstorms now. What location is the tournament? I am near south Charlotte, about 8 miles south of Ballantyne, just over the border in SC. Hopefully you are enjoying your visit.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435

90 and humid? Perfect!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.