Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited June 2019
    xwesx said:

Great write-up! I have to say, though.... those emojis are not emotorcons. :(

Yea, I know... but CARS... it's a theme :)

And thanks for reading them with a critical eye!
    andre1969 said:

First guess would be about a 1938 DeSoto, long wheelbase model? I can't remember if they were using the "Suburban" name at that point? Something about the headlights looks funny, but maybe they were altered for the movie, to get the brightness they needed?

And before I forget... Flying Leathernecks
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    edited June 2019
    This would be very cool and is a nice example except for the unfortunate woodgrain issue on the RF fender. I wonder if NOS or otherwise matching woodgrain material is available for repairs? Perfect color combo for one of these too.

The engine in there is gutless but a rebuilt Olds 403 will bolt right up.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-buick-estate-wagon/

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    Those wagons make me think of two things:

As a non-movie person, those are lost on me.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    Home Alone (top) and Adventures in Babysitting 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Nailed it. John Hughes had a thing for wood siding on cars.
    tjc78 said:

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    ab348 said:

This would be very cool and is a nice example except for the unfortunate woodgrain issue on the RF fender. I wonder if NOS or otherwise matching woodgrain material is available for repairs? Perfect color combo for one of these too.

The engine in there is gutless but a rebuilt Olds 403 will bolt right up.

Really is a nice looking wagon. Seems a long time ago now.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,684
    tjc78 said:

It's funny how some inconsequential moment in life can stick with you. I only saw "Adventures in Babysitting" once, back in 1988, but I can remember the Electra Estate wagon in it. I had gone to Ocean City, Maryland for Senior Beach Week, and we were getting under-age drunk in a condo on the boardwalk, flipping through channels trying to find something to watch.

I don't think I've ever seen a "Home Alone" movie all the way through, but for some reason I'm remembering a scene where a guy falls out of an apartment window and lands on the roof of a Mopar R-body? I'm even getting a mental image of it being "Teal Frost Metallic", which was a light, silvery green.

It IS interesting what catches our attention and burns into memory
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    1963ish Dodge Dart 4 door. Beige with what looked like original paint and hubcaps. I was driving by and it was at a stop sign, so I couldn’t get a pic. I like the simplicity of those cars.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
    The new editor will be turned on tomorrow. No need to have you hold on to anything :) It's just a setting... and if someone left a penny in place of a circuit breaker and we see sparks, it can be switched off. If you DO have questions or see anything squirrely, use the Forums Feedback and Suggestions discussion so we don't have to dig to find them. Thanks
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    That Buick wagon looks nice (and loved the movie), but I think I lean toward the Mercury Colony Park; more over the top with chrome and even opera lights on the LS model. Either way, big V8 rwd means a nice ride on the turnpike.
    edited June 2019
    If buying new in 1990, I would think the Mercury wagon was the better choice.

Driver’s airbag and fuel injection to name a few advantages. 

edited June 2019

Testing image functionality (edit, looks like manual HTML doesn't work)

Oh dear, a Landcrab and a 124 wagon in a disagreement.

Looks like the Fiat bumpers were designed as well as this forums software. 😄

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,094
    edited June 2019

Just was driving alongside, in town, a red '67 Corvette convertible, top down or no top, 427, red, knock-off wheels with thin red stripes way too far away from the wheels for my taste, backup light, with regular OH plates which read "BIGBLOC". I'd never seen it around here before. It did sound nice. I'm not much of a C2 Corvette fan but I know one like this would be one of the most-desirable ones and I have read my whole life that the '67's had by-far the best assembly quality of the C2's.

RE.: Electra Estate Wagon--a good friend and I test-drove probably an '82 Electra Estate wagon in light blue metallic, woodgrain, dark blue velour interior. those same aluminum wheels, at a Buick dealer in '84 or '85. It was very clean but a diesel, which gave my friend (looking for a car) pause, even then.

This was in Macon, GA. The new-car paperwork was still in the glovebox and he called the name later. Lady said she liked the car but that it was so big she feared hitting something everytime she drove it, LOL. I cannot remember what she told him she bought.

I never cared for the late'80's way on all of the big GM wagons, they added that brushed metal piece behind the rear doors, like on the dark blue one above.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,684

Let me guess..."National Lampoon's European Vacation"?

Yep, European Vacation, where an ADO14 Austin Maxi driven on the wrong side of the road (well, he's also on the wrong side of the car) by you know who tangles with a friendly old gent in a Fiat 124 wagon. I have to believe John Hughes also had some car casting role.

Another Colombo this morning🕵️‍♂️

edited June 2019

From the Columbo episode "Negative Reaction" with guest star Dick Van [non-permissible content removed] at the wheel of a Rolls Silver Cloud.

Lol censored

The walls have ears. Surprised the first name made the cut. 😁

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,150
    edited June 2019

This is what the Alpha and Beta testers for software (windows) feel like?

Microsoft put a note on my computer on the update page that Windows 10 version 1903 is available when I want to download it. I have to, for now at least, click on a link to do the download.

But long ago I learned to wait a week or so if the Windows software will let me before allowing the computer to download a new version. That's especially try if it's dramatically different than just a tweak to certain features and a security upgrade.

This one is a big, big change from what I've read from Alpha/Beta testers.

So Windows 10 folks, I suggest waiting for the bugs to be worked out of this new one, unless you want it and like troubleshooting--not necessarily a bad thing.

I spent hours in '17 and '18 troubleshooting quirks in Windows 10 trying to get it to download the updates because it would download and then reverse and do uninstall before ending.

This change in Vanilla text entry system is OK for me. I haven't tried to do anything fancy with it. I do see it won't let me use html language to do things, so it may not be as capable as the previous editor we had.

I do like that I can start to quote somebody or start and entry and then undo it -- WITHOUT the system having saved a draft of what I put in forever until I do a post or a quote later. OR I had to do a manual delete of my abandoned post.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472

Oh Lord above. Please don't tell me that the automated PC police actually censored his last name.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

OK, I won't tell you that. 🤐

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,094

Good grief.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355

Saw a very nice 1974 Karmann Ghia today. I'd like to have one.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,232

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537

a nice looking 71ish Riviera. Blue. very pretty.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708

A Triumph Stag, under its own power in our neighborhood. I’ve not seen a before.

Saw 3x E30 on the road today in various states of repair including a cabrio, along with an Audi V8 and a red early W126.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355

I can accept a 20 year old or older car being slow.New ones? Not so much.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

bhill2 said:

Oh Lord above. Please don't tell me that the automated PC police actually censored his last name.

bhill2 said:

No... that was a self-"censored" joke. We have no automated stuff, just us :)
    PF_Flyer said:

bhill2 said:

No... that was a self-"censored" joke. We have no automated stuff, just us :)
    Not sure I understand what you mean. When I made the post the system returned the line instantly. I went to edit it, but then changed my mind so I left it. When I hit the Cancel button I was surprised to see the word was displayed. Later on I went back and saw the censor had returned. But the original was certainly automated. And of course it was not a joke at all, but a well-known individual's actual name.

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Ok let me try... Dick Van [non-permissible content removed] in Mary Poppins (and Mary Poppins Returns).

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Wow. Soon as I clicked Post Comment the name was replaced.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    omarman said:

There ya go. Told you! :disappointed:

Yeah there are certain words that get hit right away.

ab348 said:

omarman said:

There ya go. Told you! :disappointed:
    Correct.. automated editor. No idea who populates the actual terms being censored

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

Correct.. automated editor. No idea who populates the actual terms being censored

Guess not all the mods know that.

Been so long since I'd see it in action and everyone here is very well behaved, so it slipped my mind!
    From "The Founder"

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    I love the back car in the foreground. Is that a Hudson?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Black car is a Buick of indeterminate year, 1942-48 I believe. Wheels and tires are anachronisms.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    @fintail,
    That black car does have a vaguely Y Job vibe.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    parked up front in the valet section of a local fancy steakhouse, a gorgeous white and blue 2 door 55 Belair. Stunning condition.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

This might be fuzzy, because I had to zoom in.
    I opened my garage door, and heard something rumbly. Spotted this behind the house on the next street over.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    What the heck is that black thing in the foreground? Looks like some sort of mutant crab.

Whatcha think, 60’s GMC or early 70’s?
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX