Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Forums Feedback and Suggestions

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    PF_Flyer said:

Thanks for reporting this. It's not something that's happening across the board. I've only ever had it happen to me twice, and refreshing or backing out of the page and coming back has restored functionality. We're definitely looking into possible causes. There may be a page download speed issue that is possibly affect the functionality of icons in the comment box editor. The rich editor that we switch to (and back to the html editor) really seemed to feel the effects as well. We're not at a solution yet, but it really helps to hear from you all about the devices, operating systems, browsers and the like that are showing the behaviors.

We appreciate your patience while we chase down the gremlin!

Bob, I have laid out of the forums after the insulting and threatening comment made by your colleague on Monday over in C&C directed at people who were documenting issues there instead of here, but I cannot let this pass. AFAIK nobody can attach a local photo right now. It has been widely mentioned in a range of discussions on different boards. I cannot post a local photo after trying to do so on 3 different platforms using 3 different browsers. You do not even receive the option in the pulldown box. I reported as such a few days ago. Local photo posting has not been possible since the weekend. I have seen no speed/download issues OTOH since the rich editor was shelved. Are your tech folks actually working on the right things?

Some better transparency and communication on the mess this has become would be appreciated by the members of the community, who have gone through this same sort of scenario with forums software changes many times now. Patience is one thing but this is testing that sorely. I find myself wondering WTH is going on there regarding the performance of the forums or lack thereof.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    PF_Flyer said:

sda said:

Me again, I am unable to post any pictures from my Samsung S10+. When I select the picture icon, a drop down box URL is shown yet there is no functionality. Is this unique to me or a known issue? Thanks

Thanks for reporting this. It's not something that's happening across the board. I've only ever had it happen to me twice, and refreshing or backing out of the page and coming back has restored functionality. We're definitely looking into possible causes. There may be a page download speed issue that is possibly affect the functionality of icons in the comment box editor. The rich editor that we switch to (and back to the html editor) really seemed to feel the effects as well. We're not at a solution yet, but it really helps to hear from you all about the devices, operating systems, browsers and the like that are showing the behaviors.

We appreciate your patience while we chase down the gremlin!
    I have tried to back out of the page, clear cookies, cache, restarted phone, signed in and out of Edmunds to no avail. If I missed a step please let me know. I’m hardly an expert and have a lot to learn. Thanks

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

IPad/Safari from Photo Library:
    (Image URL)

Windows 10/Firefox:
    (Image URL)

Windows 10/Chrome:
    (Image URL)

No local photo capability. Same as previously reported. Here. This never happened using this editor prior to the rich editor switchover/switchback. In those days the pulldown icon would inconsistently at times not respond at all. That was one of the reasons given for the move to the new editor. Did you never experience that?

ab348 said:

IPad/Safari from Photo Library:
    (Image URL)

Windows 10/Firefox:
    (Image URL)

Windows 10/Chrome:
    (Image URL)

No local photo capability. Same as previously reported. Here. This never happened using this editor prior to the rich editor switchover/switchback. In those days the pulldown icon would inconsistently at times not respond at all. That was one of the reasons given for the move to the new editor. Did you never experience that?

Yes , I did experience some inconsistency, primarily on my Microsoft Surface, but not on my Samsung Galaxy S6 which was replaced about two week ago with a S10+.

sda said:

Yes , I did experience some inconsistency, primarily on my Microsoft Surface, but not on my Samsung Galaxy S6 which was replaced about two week ago with a S10+.

Sorry, @sda , I think our posts crossed over around the same time. I was responding to the mod’s post. But thanks for adding to the list of those who are having issues.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Haven't been able to post jpg from my computer. Only able to post things that have a URL.

Win 10 Chrome. I also tried Edge (yuk) and still couldn't post a picture. I've
    cleared cache with cleanup programs. Can't post.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Test

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited June 2019
    When I click on the picture icon above the text box, I get a single entry in the drop down menu--Image URL. It used to have 3 entries, one for drag and rop, and one for go to the local computer location for the graphic, along with URL.

I tried on my android phone and it did the same thing. LOL

I was going to post a screen capture of the fly down menu, but can't post anything from my local computer.
    I don't use any photo service like photobucket to post pic to and then have a URL from which to post a link.

When I click on the picture icon above the text box, I get a single entry in the drop down menu--Image URL. It used to have 3 entries, one for drag and rop, and one for go to the local computer location for the graphic, along with URL.

I tried on my android phone and it did the same thing. LOL

I was going to post a screen capture of the fly down menu, but can't post anything from my local computer.
    I don't use any photo service like photobucket to post pic to and then have a URL from which to post a link.

Yeah... I have the same setup as you. (windows10/Chrome)
    I get the "Choose Files" box, which when I click takes me to my files..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@imidazol97 Frustrating, I know.. tech is still at work on it. The intermittent nature, and it not happening for everyone doesn't help.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I've cleaned my computer with cleanup! and Ccleaner. I've tried using Edge.

I tried drag and drop by dragging the jpg into the box that dropped down, even though it did not have a drag'n drop area.

I got the same one menu item on my Android phone.

I do know yesterday I was getting the rich text format box while earlier I was getting the "old" text and entry box.f

I am far from tech savvy, but it seems something is still hanging up on your system. Especially, if you are getting the Rich Editor still, which has been turned off.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The rich Editor was showing up yesterday. It had not been there since the earlier reversion to the current box.

I am now on my other HP laptop here at home. Same pull down menu.
    It's not been updated by Win 10 as recently--I thought there might be something with the updates from Win10
    This is Version 1809 Build 17763.503

My other HP is as far up 1809 builds because it's holding for me to approve updating to Version 1903.

It would be interesting to know if anyone other than a mod can get the Choose Files choice in the drop down box. So far I have not encountered anyone else.

edited June 2019
    Good point. Could be related to permissions.

That question might help with troubleshooting.

Contrary to that, there are plenty of members posting pictures (and, plenty that are having issues).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

Contrary to that, there are plenty of members posting pictures (and, plenty that are having issues).

All I can tell you is that for the last few days, all of the images posted by members in the Mystery Car Pics had to be hosted elsewhere because nothing local could be uploaded. The same is true for images posted by members in the "I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!" forum, and the same in Cars and Conversations. The only images in those forums that were able to be uploaded were by you and pf_flyer. I know this because I just looked at what gets generated when one quotes all of those image posts. I have no idea beyond those forums that I follow of course. But that strikes me as somewhat instructive.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Part of the reason we made the switch to the rich editor was because some were having issues with the editing icons (adding images, creating hyperlinks, etc.) so the old and new editors sure don't seem like the direct cause of issues some are having. There IS an issue with the display of ads and page loading speed that could be related to the wonky comment box behavior. If you go to Recent Discussions and scroll down towards the bottom of the list, you'll see half of an ad displayed after the 42nd discussion:

We've had ads around here for a long time. We've had them in locations like after every 10th post on a page or after every 10th discussion on a list, so that being stuck in at the 42nd slot is very odd, not to mention only half of it displaying.

Whatever is causing the behavior certainly seemed to affect the rich editor a bit more, and that kind of makes sense since the rich editor is a bit more "active". (Think about all the html it created when you clicked the Quote link)

Not to add another factor, but if you're using an ad blocker (I'm not a fan of ads either, but my IGNORE is really good) let us know that as well.
    I don't run an ad blocker, other than I believe Chrome has a built in ad blocker in the US.

But the flyout menu having only the choice to source a graphic from a URL is a problem.
    Where are the other two choices?

I tried Edge thinking there might be something about Google's chrome.

So you are not seeing this?

I'm using Chrome, no special setup
    edited July 2019
    I only see the Image URL LINE. Not the two lines above it.

That's true here on my Android in doctor waiting room and on Chrome and Edge at home.

I can only insert graphics from a website. B)
    There is no way to post screen capture, because can't post from local computer.

I tried to reactivate photobucket yesterday but that site is wreck. I was hoping to post from there.

PF_Flyer said:

No. That's what I have been saying in previous posts here for the last week. I only see "Image URL' for externally hosted images and no other way to post a picture. This is also what I was referring to in my June 29th post when I said it appears to be widespread based upon my observations of member image posts in other boards. Firefox, Safari or Chrome makes no difference.

Hmm... that's the complete opposite of kyfdx's experience. He can see all the options, but can't post from a URL. I generally screenshot images and add them from my computer, let me try a URL here

It worked, but it was kind of odd the first attempt. The url pasted in just fine, but hit Enter and nothing happened. Felt like it was hanging up. Clicked on the image icon again, and the url was still there. Clicked in th eurl box and hit Enter and it got added to the post instantly.

So I'm still leaning towards some timing/speed issue that's messing with whatever editor is in place in the comment box, rather than the editors themselves. But I'm not the tech guy, just one trying to document all the behaviors people are seeing to try and corner the gremlin!

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    PF_Flyer said:

No. I'm not getting that either. All I get is one line: Image URL
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    edited July 2019
    I'm using Windows 10, the latest Firefox, and I ran CCleaner.
    edited July 2019
    PF_Flyer said:

Hmm... that's the complete opposite of kyfdx's experience. He can see all the options, but can't post from a URL. I generally screenshot images and add them from my computer, let me try a URL here

It worked, but it was kind of odd the first attempt. The url pasted in just fine, but hit Enter and nothing happened. Felt like it was hanging up. Clicked on the image icon again, and the url was still there. Clicked in th eurl box and hit Enter and it got added to the post instantly.

So I'm still leaning towards some timing/speed issue that's messing with whatever editor is in place in the comment box, rather than the editors themselves. But I'm not the tech guy, just one trying to document all the behaviors people are seeing to try and corner the gremlin!

When I post an image URL I have to copy the URL then pull down the Image box to get "Image URL" and then use CTRL + V keys to get an image posted like this:

That's what it looks like for me. And I can paste in a URL by right clicking and choosing Paste, CTRL+V, or Shift+Insert. Curiously, if I right click and Paste, I need to hit Enter to have the html for the image appear in the comment box. With CTRL+V or Shift+Insert, the html goes in the comment box on the keystroke

Ok, that is odd because I started using CTRL+V when the "right click and paste" stopped working for me. If I try to do right click, the image box goes away and the URL doesnt get inserted in the text box nor does it get pasted in the drop down box either.
    Almost like your right click is being "read" as if you hit Enter. Same for me with the CTRL+V and Shift+Insert. Normally, those would simply paste from the clipboard and whatever you did afterwards would have to wait for you to do it.

Not that I think we're particularly onto the solution, but both are unexpected behaviors that have similarities
    PF_Flyer said:

Almost like your right click is being "read" as if you hit Enter. Same for me with the CTRL+V and Shift+Insert. Normally, those would simply paste from the clipboard and whatever you did afterwards would have to wait for you to do it.

Not that I think we're particularly onto the solution, but both are unexpected behaviors that have similarities

Yes that's it.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    PF_Flyer said:

All I see is Image URL. The choose files thing I used to use is not there.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

PF_Flyer said:

All I see is Image URL. The choose files thing I used to use is not there.

Same here

Don't know how many of you experienced the outage we just had, but it was some kind of Cloudflare issue that affected all sorts of sites, not just us. It's the type of 3rd party issue that CAN affect things. It would be very interesting if some of you experiencing the image upload issue were suddenly able to upload photos. I'm not expecting it, but something WAS flipped on and off, so I thought I'd check if it caused any changes. :)

Just taking advantage of an unplanned test!
    Nope. Two of the options still missing.

Just had to ask. Thanks! :)
    edited July 2019
    Drop down menus not working at all for me right now. I'll close this window and then open it up again to see if any changes.

edit: Opened up this topic again and now the icons are "clickable" again. Image drop down menu is still the same though, "Image URL" is the only line. No changes from before.
    Thanks for helping out with your testing! Interesting that refreshing got the icons clickable again. It's lik something is preventing the page from finishing loading
    Testing image orientation

Landscape

Portrait

As I post this, icons (not just for pics) are non-responsive in Firefox and refreshing it does nothing to change that.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    FYI I am barely able to get the editor buttons to work in Safari on iPhone. For uploading images, when I do get the buttons to respond, I cannot upload local images. It just asks for a URL.

I’m getting some combination of the above 100% of the time. It occurs whether I’m in mobile view or desktop view in my browser.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    edited July 2019
    Thanks for the info @28firefighter . Every little bit helps. Whatever this is, it seems related to page loading/timing. This editor (the one we had been using all along) was going long fine, then issues with not being able to upload images and icons not working began, Don't have an exact date, but I found a reference about the issue from early April, well before we switched to the rich editor.

So the behavior of the icons is (to use an automotive analogy) sort of like a check engine light letting us know that something is amiss somewhere. The fact that it doesn't affect everyone and has been very difficult to duplicate makes it tough to see an obvious cause. I've only had an unresponsive icon 2 or 3 times since this first cropped up, but in all the testing I've done on the rich editor in a staging environment before and since the time we tried the rich editor, not once. There have been page loading and speed issues in the forums that are being addressed. How ads are displaying is part of that. I don't know exactly when that issue started, but it was certainly before we tried the rich editor as well. The ads are not part of the staging environment, and since the icon issue hasn't shown itself there, that might be an AHA moment.

Just trying to keep everyone in the loop as much as possible. Reports of how things are behaving and on what devices you're using are greatly appreciated and helpful.

Hang in there. The gremlin can't hide forever!
    Status update:I first reported not being able to post pictures on June 19. I actually experienced this issue before that date but delayed reporting it. No change that I can tell as I am unable to post from my Samsung Galaxy S10, I-pad or Microsoft Surface. Thanks, Steve

Might be interesting to turn off the ad platform even for just an hour and see if anything changes. Testing software without that in place is missing a bit part of the environment. Could also explain why non-forum pulldowns are also flaky.

Someone mentioned changing their list of autos in the profile. I tried to find the "Profile" that was in the page when I clicked on my username in the upper right corner of every page. I can't find the choice to allow changing the autos owned. I recall it wasn't easily intuitive in the past, but I can't find it at all.

Is this a lost line item like the two choices for adding picts from the local computer?

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    FYI, when on my Surface Pro using Chrome, I still cannot see the option to upload a local image. Instead, all I get is the Image URL box only. But hey, at least the icons in the editor work...
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

Someone mentioned changing their list of autos in the profile. I tried to find the "Profile" that was in the page when I clicked on my username in the upper right corner of every page. I can't find the choice to allow changing the autos owned. I recall it wasn't easily intuitive in the past, but I can't find it at all.

Is this a lost line item like the two choices for adding picts from the local computer?

Huh. I just tried it and there is no choice to edit a profile that I can see. Another feature MIA.

Edit Profile isn't blatantly visible when you go to your profile. It's in the dropdown you can click on the right side

edited July 2019
    @ab348 Good catch! Thanks for reporting. I've tried flipping the setting off/on. If that worked (the cable company solution) let us know. I didn't work for one of the mods, but on the off chance...

Added to the list of clues!
    PF_Flyer said:

Edit Profile isn't blatantly visible when you go to your profile. It's in the dropdown you can click on the right side

Here's what I see when I do that. I no longer have those choices available on the pulldown, just this:

Also the image pulldown wouldn't even give me the "Image URL" legend this time so I had to crib your code to display this.