Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Starting problem

bugsbaybugsbay Member Posts: 1
edited July 2019 in Jeep
Hi...my jeep won't start from time to time...maybe a click or 2..I let it sit overnight and then it starts right up..It has a remote startup, which I never use...once it starts there is no problem...I changed the starter 4 months ago..Any idea what it can be...it can start 9 straight times, then nothing..I let it sit, and then it starts right up...

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The click or two makes me think weak battery or a bad starter solenoid. Since you changed the starter, that eliminates the starter itself(assuming the replacement starter is OK) and since it does start and run most of the time, you have spark and fuel.

Remote starter may not be an issue, although it does make me think of possible electrical drains and not enough juice available when you go to start. Just thinking out loud.

Certainly feels electrical. Any ideas @thecardoc3 or @imidazol97
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,742
    Loud click, or soft click? Do you have a volt meter? When the problem is happening, measure from the battery positive post to the cable connection at the starter. How many volts do you read when trying to start the engine? Repeat the test from the battery negative cable to the body of the starter. Remember to get these measurements when the problem is occurring and someone is trying to start the engine.