Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244

2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

thebean said:

@driver100, I’m pretty sure it’s illegal for a MB owner to cut their own grass. Something about not soiling the image of the brand. 8^)

Thanks for pointing that out bean.....I would much rather be driving the MB and experiencing the handling and ride, than pushing a mower around. And it would ruin the image too.

btw....do you know about Chicagos Giant Bean;

I thought it was a Giant Peanut!

Then and NOW

https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/07/02/the-bean-got-spray-painted-by-a-group-of-adults-police-say/

“Adults”? There’s a story that begs for more detail.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Lee was a great showman and I was a fan. Based on his personality and power of pursuation I bought a 1980 Dodge Mirada, the model he said he personally drove. It was a nice car but it was not rain friendly as it leaked from the sun roof. As Iacocca famously said, "if you can find a better car, buy it." And that's what I did. RIP Lee, you left a giant footprint in Detroit and the auto industry in general.
    jipster said:

Finally got an electrician to look at that knob and tube wiring. The first electrician that looked at it said it was too big a job for him. This second guy's estimate is $9,200, which does not include any plaster or drywall repairs when opening things up to put new wiring in. Also, said additional costs.could arise should problems arise or more knob and tube is found. So, I'm guessing a final cost would be around $15,000. Daughter contemplating next move. She really wants the house though. I am urging caution.

If she wants it that bad just deduct $15k from the offer.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Deducting $15K from selling price will reduce her mortgage and monthly payments, but being young she may want to instead get that amount back through seller paying for closing costs and/or down payment that free's up $15K in upfront cash outlays.

jipster said:

Finally got an electrician to look at that knob and tube wiring. The first electrician that looked at it said it was too big a job for him. This second guy's estimate is $9,200, which does not include any plaster or drywall repairs when opening things up to put new wiring in. Also, said additional costs.could arise should problems arise or more knob and tube is found. So, I'm guessing a final cost would be around $15,000. Daughter contemplating next move. She really wants the house though. I am urging caution.

Looking at wording in contract. Sellers agent may have screwed up. Says sellers will not replace knob and tube unless found unsafe. Electrician says by its nature it is unsafe and recommends replacing. But, that currently he sees no.problems in the wiring itself.

2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    If the house was listed at 15K more (but the knob and tube was already gone) would it still be a good deal?

If not, walk

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Asking for $15,000 off is fine, but you're still looking at.coming up with $15,000 in cash to have house rewired and repaired.
    I'd like something " in lieu of repair on knob and tube, seller will provide $10,000 check, to be taken from funds sellers payment, to buyer". Sellers have already agreed to paying closing costs. ;-)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    Nice hearing from you Fezo. Good news you are still kicking! And keeping Mazda in business.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

berri said:

Deducting $15K from selling price will reduce her mortgage and monthly payments, but being young she may want to instead get that amount back through seller paying for closing costs and/or down payment that free's up $15K in upfront cash outlays.

Smart move. The bottom line is that if someone else wants to pay full price for a potential fire trap, let them have it.

jipster said:

Asking for $15,000 off is fine, but you're still looking at.coming up with $15,000 in cash to have house rewired and repaired.

She should apply for a GI loan.

(That stands for Generous In-Law) B)

fezo said:

I don't want to say it's been a long time, but I've missed 13K posts and you've missed two car purchases.

My wife now has a 2015 Mazda 6 GT. Soul Red. Fantastic car.

I finally gave up on the 5. It's built on a 3 platform and, unfortunately, has a 3 AC unit, which to call it inadequate would be an understatement. So I did something I hadn't done in 20 years - I traded it in. Now the proud owner of a 2014 Mazda3 hatch with a manual 6 speed. Sweet car. You can lay race car or get great gas mileage. Going to my daughter's place an hour away I averaged 40 mpg. Not bad for a plain non-hybrid engine. About 33 mixed driving.

The Prius is still in the family (actually 2 Priii - one each for the two oldest ones and the 04 Camry with 293,000 miles on it continues to carry on with the youngest two now sharing it. I'd still drive it across the country without a second thought.

All steady on the health front...

Glad you’re healthy. That red on the Mazda 6 is the nicest I’ve seen, kind of my dream red. Finding a standard shift Mazda 3 is getting difficult these days.

Post some pictures (if you can).

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    edited July 2019
    You picked a fine time to come back, @fezo . It seems your health is better than that of the forums software these days. Possibly much, much better. ;)

I'm sure you'll get caught up on those 13,000 posts in no time.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

bwia said:

Lee was a great showman and I was a fan. Based on his personality and power of pursuation I bought a 1980 Dodge Mirada, the model he said he personally drove. It was a nice car but it was not rain friendly as it leaked from the sun roof. As Iacocca famously said, "if you can find a better car, buy it." And that's what I did. RIP Lee, you left a giant footprint in Detroit and the auto industry in general.
    I bought a 1980 Dodge Omni because they were selling them cheap locally. Don’t think Iacocca had anything to do with it but I did enjoy his commercials.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    Jip, When you have costs that are around 10% of the cost of the house.......I think the problem could be even bigger.........as in money pit. That is the one big problem we know about, could there be more...plumbing, foundation.........?

Fezo, Welcome back. Are you sticking around or returning next year at this time? Glad health is well and the fleet got updated.

oldfarmer, I once read the K-Car and Minivan were ready to roll when Iacocca came aboard....they would have happened anyway. His real strength was, well the Mustang for sure, and being such a great spokesman for the company. How could you not believe him when he said these are the best cars Chrysler has ever made.....and did that really say very much?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

as long as the total invested makes sense, with an older house, I almost prefer having to redo stuff like electric. At least you know that it is all done correctly, instead of hoping what is in there is OK.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    jipster said:

jipster said:

Looking at wording in contract. Sellers agent may have screwed up. Says sellers will not replace knob and tube unless found unsafe. Electrician says by its nature it is unsafe and recommends replacing. But, that currently he sees no.problems in the wiring itself.

Out of curiosity what did the previous owners pay for the house and when. How much profit are they hoping to bring out of the house. Zillow.com does those price points over history. I watched it when my buddy and his wife were trying to unload their house in Butler KY.

The variable is how much the neighborhood values have gone up because it desirability of the area.

Myself, I'd tend to see the knob and tube as an on going project, replaced in steps area by area, as long as there were modern lines and outlets in place to carry any high load items. But the total cost would be in my estimate of how much to offer.

I watched an heir selling her parent's home they originally bought in 1976 or so on our road. They must have never done much updating; the carpet flooring folks were there for a week. I believe they redid all the carpet and floors. I wondered if the counters were upgraded. The asking price was about 20% over a reasonable asking price. They still settled for more than I thought they'd get for the house according to the County Recorder's price record of the sale.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Trying to fix my listing of the cars and somehow it's not cooperating. Went into my profile but no luck.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    Not allowed to talk about specifics here. There's another forum for that. But the link pulldown won't work here either, so all I can do is post this to guide you:

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/56332/general/x/forums-feedback-and-suggestions#latest

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

jipster said:

jipster said:

Out of curiosity what did the previous owners pay for the house and when. How much profit are they hoping to bring out of the house. Zillow.com does those price points over history. I watched it when my buddy and his wife were trying to unload their house in Butler KY.

The variable is how much the neighborhood values have gone up because it desirability of the area.

Myself, I'd tend to see the knob and tube as an on going project, replaced in steps area by area, as long as there were modern lines and outlets in place to carry any high load items. But the total cost would be in my estimate of how much to offer.

I watched an heir selling her parent's home they originally bought in 1976 or so on our road. They must have never done much updating; the carpet flooring folks were there for a week. I believe they redid all the carpet and floors. I wondered if the counters were upgraded. The asking price was about 20% over a reasonable asking price. They still settled for more than I thought they'd get for the house according to the County Recorder's price record of the sale.
    I believe $117,000 around 7 years ago. New.a/c, water heater and BIG back deck. So sellers are looking at around $30,000 gross profit.

Sellers are now saying they would help a little bit with knob and tube, but won't be paying for full replacement. Wording in contract says differently.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    @fezo Did you got into your profile and clicked the Edit Profile dropdown on the right side, chose Edit Profile, the changed what's in the Vehicles You Own box and it didn't take? Or did you get stuck along the way?

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    From the real estate listing, that house has had some serious interior updating in the last seven years.

But, as far as the electric? Does it have plaster walls? Man, fixing that back after busting it up will be pricey.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    driver100 said:

thebean said:

@driver100, I’m pretty sure it’s illegal for a MB owner to cut their own grass. Something about not soiling the image of the brand. 8^)

Thanks for pointing that out bean.....I would much rather be driving the MB and experiencing the handling and ride, than pushing a mower around. And it would ruin the image too.

People call it "the bean" but the actual name of it is cloud gate.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

bwia said:

I bought a 1980 Dodge Omni because they were selling them cheap locally. Don’t think Iacocca had anything to do with it but I did enjoy his commercials.
    I had an early 80's Omni until someone made a left turn in front of me. I replaced it with a Omni-GLH, that was a fun car.

I scared the you know what out of some lady earlier today. I am almost home going through a residential area and there is a house to my left having some work done. Across the street from that house was a van belonging to the contractors. So this van was to my right facing the same direction as I was traveling. There was this lady doing something in the back of this van and her back was to me. As I approached she backed away from the van and went to cross the street to the house they were working on. As she did this she looked down the street in the direction I was heading but not in my direction. Well I had anticipated this and started to come to a stop and was stopped maybe 5 or 6 feet from her as she crossed the street never looking in my direction. That was until she was right in front of me when she decided to check in the direction that I was coming from. Man you should have seen the look on her face when she saw me, she actually jumped back (maybe even out of her shoes), I swear she aged 5 years right in front of me.

kyfdx said:

From the real estate listing, that house has had some serious interior updating in the last seven years.

But, as far as the electric? Does it have plaster walls? Man, fixing that back after busting it up will be pricey.

Well, that listing description is a bit exaggerated IMO. Not all windows are updated, most have leaking thermal seals. I believe most.of that house would be.plaster walls.

Sellers agent saying electrical is safe, saying what is "meant" in comtract.

Daughter just.countered at $10,000 in payment, or reduction in price.of home.
    edited July 2019

driver100 said:

thebean said:

Why?
    Looks like a bean to me!

I don't know if this is true:
    Should You Buy a House with Knob and Tube Wiring?

Many home buyers ask us what their options are if they want to buy a house with knob and tube wiring. It’s important for home buyers to understand that knob and tube wiring itself is not unsafe. In fact, the necessary drilling, soldering, wrapping, and splicing during the original installation required great deal of skill, since the wiring was meant to last. However, the general rule of thumb is that it needs to be replaced in 60 days to obtain home insurance. No home insurance, no mortgage.

But, then it says:
    Financing a Home with Knob and Tube Wiring

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) states that home appraisers should examine the electrical box to ensure there are no broken or frayed wires.

Major selling guides (Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac & FHA) are ok with knob and tube wiring as long as it functions, is safe, in good condition and is a minimum of 60 amps.

I'd read up about it and see what the rules and laws are in your area.
    This article can be a start.

fezo said:

Trying to fix my listing of the cars and somehow it's not cooperating. Went into my profile but no luck.

I did it last week when I sent one of mine down the road. Nothing happened right away but I notice now the change took effect here. Perhaps any changes have to go through an Edmunds approval process.

bwia said:

I had an early 80's Omni until someone made a left turn in front of me. I replaced it with a Omni-GLH, that was a fun car.
    Was that the turbo model? I hear that was a hot little car for the time. Back then I was unaware it even existed but I was too poor back then to have bought one anyway.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012

bwia said:

Was that the turbo model? I hear that was a hot little car for the time. Back then I was unaware it even existed but I was too poor back then to have bought one anyway.
    GLH = Goes Like HE-Double-Hockey-Sticks

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I don't like to worry, so if there is something that could be an issue or unsafe, I either will bite the bullet and get it fixed up front, or pass on the purchase. Car, or house. On the flip side, I like having things done under my ownership, so I know what was done and who did it. So to me, better to get a discount on a house and have my guy do it, than to pay top dollar for a rehab, where you have no clue what corners were cut when they slapped it together.

the house my daughter and BF just got dates from 1958. So not old enough for knob and tube, but still has 60 year old stuff in there (and those damned plaster walls!). while we are doing stuff, you find oddities and previous upgrades. A few of which need attention. So good that we are taking part of the bathroom apart and redoing the wiring in there, and taking all the baseboards out. Thankfully it is a pretty simple house (3 bedroom, 1 bath ranch, with a basement and unfinished attic) so you really have good access to everything, and it just isn't that big. The inspection gave it rave reviews for being solid and clean. Electrician is coming out to replace the main line in and the meter, but the panel is pretty new. He will do a few tweaks inside (new fixture and outlet in the bathroom, a few switch replacements, possibly handing a new DR light if I can't get it done myself).

place is coming together though. done with deconstruction, and getting it back together. paint alone makes a huge difference. and in a few weeks, all the floors (hardwood through the whole house) gets redone and all new baseboards go in. that will make it look a ton better. by the time we are done, won't have more than about $6K in rehab costs into it, and I suspect upped the MV at least $30k (they really got a steal, being in the right place at right time).

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

thebean said:

Why?
    Looks like a bean to me!
    Because it's shape makes it reflect more sky than ground.

bwia said:

Yeah it was the turbocharged model. IIRC it was just under 150 hp weighing in at 2200 pounds and 0 to 60 was just over 6 seconds.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    @stickguy
    Sounds like a good deal for them. My house is also built in 58 and started its life as 3/1 and unfinished basement and attic.

When I moved in I had loads of cosmetics to do, new electric service along with all new outlets, switches and light fixtures.

With the addition and reconfigurations inside it now has 90% new plumbing. Not much original mechanicals left!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

thebean said:

Why?
    Looks like a bean to me!
    Called "Cloud Gate" because of that....no one will get that.
    Peanut makes more sense. :D

tjc78 said:

@stickguy
    Sounds like a good deal for them. My house is also built in 58 and started its life as 3/1 and unfinished basement and attic.

When I moved in I had loads of cosmetics to do, new electric service along with all new outlets, switches and light fixtures.

With the addition and reconfigurations inside it now has 90% new plumbing. Not much original mechanicals left!

similar. they are about halfway there. original bathroom, but kitchen was redone (cheaply, but can make do for now). some new outlets, but panel was updated. 2/3 of basement is finished and looks pretty good. Has a sunroom on the side which will be nice eventually. Beautiful lot, just got overgrown (almost 1/2 acre and slopes down to a creek that drains into a nearby lake). Newer windows all around. Once the cosmetics (all new paint, new baseboards, and professionally finished floors, with new ceiling fixtures) are done in a few weeks, going to look fabulous. Also putting in a new bathroom light, medicine cabinet, and vanity as soon as the electrician cleans up the wiring in there.

still has original blue tiles and tub. They would (well, daughter who cares) love to redo that from scratch but going to have to save up for that first.

so much easier to work on a small, simple house where you can mostly get at everything easily. Not like a 2 story. This place is like working on a '68 Nova 6 cylinder compared to my house.

fezo said:

I did it last week when I sent one of mine down the road. Nothing happened right away but I notice now the change took effect here. Perhaps any changes have to go through an Edmunds approval process.
    I believe the user has to sign out of the account and then back in to make the changes effective. I made that observation in the past when changing the listings.

fezo said:

I believe the user has to sign out of the account and then back in to make the changes effective. I made that observation in the past when changing the listings.
    Perhaps. I notice the change occurred here but not in my profile. The PT may haunt me forever. I also notice that when I hit the little icon in my profile the only drop down that appears is one for ‘preferences’, nothing about editing. Now I’m confused as to how I made any changes at all. :'(

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Cloud gate - sounds like another Daley family political scandal B)
    edited July 2019
    jipster said:

jipster said:

jipster said:

I believe $117,000 around 7 years ago. New.a/c, water heater and BIG back deck. So sellers are looking at around $30,000 gross profit.

Sellers are now saying they would help a little bit with knob and tube, but won't be paying for full replacement. Wording in contract says differently.
    Then the contract needs to be amended in signed writing. It's what's inside the four corners of that piece of paper that matters, according to Judge Judy. If it ain't there, in ain't a a part of the contract.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    You can't really enforce a contract like that. If the seller won't comply, then your option is to walk away. Unless your brother is an attorney who works for free.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Over the past several days, I have had some problems with getting my Vizio 50" UHD 4K TV looked at by the
    Geek Squad from Best Buy. The run-around I experienced was pathetic.

It all started on Tuesday when I noticed a 2" black circle on the bottom right of the screen. I called comcast, and they told me it was not a cable problem - that it was a TV issue. So I called Vizio Support and explained the problem. By the way, the TV is just over 2 years old, I took a picture of the spot on the cell phone and texted it to Vizio. They told me that it was a failure of pixels - burned out, and that it was unrepairable. I then called the Geek Squad since I remember I purchased a 3 or 4 year extended warranty on the TV when I bought it. Getting through to them was impossible. So I drove over to Best Buy and the manager saw the photos I took of the TV. She agreed that it was pixel burnout. Very hot to touch. She finally got through and left my cell phone number for the Geek Squad to call me back.

I decided that I would just buy another new TV and replace the one I have. Why you might ask? The only way tghe Geek Squad will replace the TV is if they attempt to fix the TV three time and fail to fix it! I explained to them that it is no repairable - that pixels had burned out. They told me that if the first Geek Squad guy was unable to repair the TV, they would have to send out a second guy and then a third guy, all at different times. Can yoiu believe that? So why bother spending 159 dollars for an extended warranty when I have to run through hoops to get them to honor the warranty. Vizio, the manufacturer, said it was irrepairable - once the pixels burn out, it cannot be repaired.

So tomorrow, the Geek Squad comes out to look at the problem on the TV. If they cannot repair it, they make another appointment to send someone else out. This continues until they have tried 3 times and coiuld not fix it and then they issue a voucher for a new TV.

So the Manager of the Best Buy said she had a brand new line of Vizio 50" UHD 4K TV's that were just released for sale by Vizio. The retail price was $550. She took off $100 and sold it to me for $450 + tax + installation and delivery. Sot it was $558.00. The Geek Squad will be out on Saturday afternoon to install the new TV. Assuming the Geek Squad cannot fix the old TV, I will receive a store credit. The told me it would take at least 2-3 weeks before they had tried to fix the TV 3 times.

Obviously I did not purchase an extended warranty with the new TV - why go through this all over again. The reason I purchased another Vizio was because the dimensions on the new TV are identical to the old TV - which is important for re-installing the new TV - the bracket on the wall it made for the old TV and the sound bar is on the bottom - so the dimensions needed to be exact.

To add to all this mess, my daughter is moving in with me for a while until she can find an apartment. So I had just received a gift of a new Samsung UHD 4K 32" TV yesterday - brand new in the box. It was from the Casino. Sos I set it up in the master bedroom for her. The old Sony Trinitron still works, but this one is so much better.

I don't have much respect for the Geek Squad or Best Buy, but the pricing on the new TV was excellent and their appreciation of the problems I was having was excellent. But that Geek Squad stinks. imagine, 3 attempts to fix a TV's pixels which cannot be fixed - but they still have to try 3 times before they issue a voucher. That is just plain stupidity. I do not recommend the Geek Squad if you ever buy a TV or appliance at Best Buy. :angry:

2021 Genesis G90

I found that even their rebate for using the credit card th o purchase is a waste of time and tricks on their part. I was shopping for a replacement bridge camera. Salesman said they wipe out unused credits and the kids mini minimum amount required. When i was buying the TV salesman made it sound like they see mm d a check for your money back.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

thebean said:

Why?
    Looks like a bean to me!
    Called "Cloud Gate" because of that....no one will get that.
    Peanut makes more sense. :D
    if you stand at it, especially to the east of it, most of what you will see reflected on its surface is the clouds in the sky.

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    Geek Squad is owned by Best Buy, so it’s a company problem. But this gives them a chance to blame each other until you get tired and give up. Very deceptive way to do business.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    Happy 4th of July everyone!!
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    edited July 2019

I scared the you know what out of some lady earlier today. I am almost home going through a residential area and there is a house to my left having some work done. Across the street from that house was a van belonging to the contractors. So this van was to my right facing the same direction as I was traveling. There was this lady doing something in the back of this van and her back was to me. As I approached she backed away from the van and went to cross the street to the house they were working on. As she did this she looked down the street in the direction I was heading but not in my direction. Well I had anticipated this and started to come to a stop and was stopped maybe 5 or 6 feet from her as she crossed the street never looking in my direction. That was until she was right in front of me when she decided to check in the direction that I was coming from. Man you should have seen the look on her face when she saw me, she actually jumped back (maybe even out of her shoes), I swear she aged 5 years right in front of me.

A few years ago I was pulling into our cul de sac and there is my neighbor (good friend for 20 + years) sitting on his lawn tractor, right next to the street. The engine was running and his back to me, and he was fiddling with something on the dash. I eased up to about 5 feet behind him and hit the horn. He whirled around with a look of sheer terror on his face, then the look changed to relief, then to pure rage, then to laughter. He has gotten me back a couple of times since then.

Happy 243rd Birthday U.S.A. Best Country on earth !