Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    edited July 2019
    Would you consider a TLX? Seems like something you might like, and the numbers would work. Plus, all the cool kids have one!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    IYou can get a better deal on a loaner S60 without costco.

Someone is currently advertising $57k T6 models for $339+tax with $2500 DAS.

I'll certainly check out the loaners when the time comes. Quite a few over on LH I've been seeing.

@stickguy
    TLX would be in the running too, a lot of car for the money.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    I'm putting the TLX on my list for the fall/early winter as well. I'm worried it won't be quick enough for me, but I love the look of the A-Spec and I don't see many of them around here.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042

I'm putting the TLX on my list for the fall/early winter as well. I'm worried it won't be quick enough for me, but I love the look of the A-Spec and I don't see many of them around here.

I, too, like the TLX. I've test driven both the 2.4 and 3.5 - either would be fine, if equipped correctly.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I find the 2.4 pretty zippy. But you can get same models with the V6. That is definitely fast.

stickguy said:

I find the 2.4 pretty zippy. But you can get same models with the V6. That is definitely fast.

stickguy said:

There were 5 of us in the car when I tested the V6, and it still had more than enough power for me.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    qbrozen said:

That's a lot of car for the money. At $57K it has to have almost every option.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    I know a guy that's going to have a clean, pampered AWD A-Spec coming off lease in September 2020. Will have only 19,000 miles.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    pensfan83 said:

qbrozen said:

yeah, its pretty good. I calculated it to about 0.75% of MSRP per month. My bimmer is at 0.725. If the volvo was something crazy like 0.66, I might make the change and risk sleeping on the couch. But, then again, its a 3-yr lease, and Volvo does not allow transfers. :(

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

once again, the perfect car and deal, when I am not in position to get one!

my 2.4, on the highway, you have to really pay attention if not using cruise to keep it below 80. It likes to "stretch it's legs"

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    qbrozen said:

pensfan83 said:

qbrozen said:

yeah, its pretty good. I calculated it to about 0.75% of MSRP per month. My bimmer is at 0.725. If the volvo was something crazy like 0.66, I might make the change and risk sleeping on the couch. But, then again, its a 3-yr lease, and Volvo does not allow transfers. :(
    3 YEARS? OH THE HORROR!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I have had two cars for 3 years +: My 2001 Ford Taurus SEL and my GTI. Everything else was 24 months or less.
    a 3 year lease does not bother me at all.

One benefit to a 2 year lease is the need to replace tires is diminished significantly if not altogether.
    offset by paying fees more often. Plus I tend to put lower miles on, so have a good shot not having to do that anyway.

pensfan83 said:

One benefit to a 2 year lease is the need to replace tires is diminished significantly if not altogether.

YES. Especially if you drive 20K per year. The prospect of a 2 year lease is very attractive.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

maybe, but I assume at those miles terms will stink. I do (so far) less than 10K a year, so don't have the same issues!

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    When my mom turned in her Hyundai SUV Specking 2003, they came to do the inspection at the house also, and a truck came to get it later the same day. It was through Hans financial I believe two as well.
    That was the best color car she had to this day and my favorite, was a nice bright red.
    @ stick guy, yes would be too big for my dad needs to, but seems nice from what I read. I also did like the Telluride it’s sister car just looks so different. From what the policy looks like, nice interior quality set in that one at the New York auto show the Telluride.
    edited July 2019
    So here is my initial list of cars to consider:
    Acura TLX V6 A-Spec (New Lease)
    BMW 4 series GC (preferably 440 lease or CPO 435)
    Audi A4 (new lease or CPO 2017)
    VW Jetta GLI (New)
    Subaru Legacy XT
    Honda Accord Sport 2.0T

None of them really gets me excited though - the 440 definitely would be fun to drive and I love the look/style of the GLI, but the interior may really bother me. The S60 isn't on the list because the styling just doesn't do it for me.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    stickguy said:

offset by paying fees more often. Plus I tend to put lower miles on, so have a good shot not having to do that anyway.

But if you do a sign & drive every time, the fees really mean nothing. I wouldn't do 24-mo if it wasn't favorable. Seems to be the way to go with big discounts, though.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

@ondrays3 nice! What will the new posabal ride be?

Not a done deal by any means, but I have first right of refusal to a 2015 Audi S4 in Misano Red with DSG with under 30K miles on the clock. I was eyeing luxury beige interior '15 A4's, but the red 333+ HP S4 just speaks to me in ways where I can forgive an all black interior.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    edited July 2019
    Does a new A/C unit count as a punch? Asking for a friend...

Fan motor on the 29 year old, extremely rusted outside unit gave up the ghost yesterday afternoon. $775 for a new fan motor or $4,175 for a new unit and new A-coil inside. Since I'm using the same company that installed my ductless mini split unit upstairs, they gave me a "frequent flier" discount. :D Also, I'm very grateful that I did not sell the window A/C unit that I used to use upstairs before I got the mini-split. I pulled it out of attic storage and put it in my bedroom window. Between running that in my downstairs bedroom and leaving the upstairs door open to allow the upstairs mini split to cool the entire house as much as it can, the house is relatively comfortable in spite of the main A/C being out of commission. I have the central HVAC blower running to circulate air, and the entire first floor has managed to stay in the low 70s today. It's a small house, but I'm still impressed.

I had a surplus I was planning on using to pay down the G37 loan, but looks like this will put me at least a couple of months out on making any extra payment on the G.
    Ugh. Annoying for sure, @corvette
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

Watching fireworks tonight and I spotted godzilla

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    I had "GOJIRA" on my MS3.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    I'm leery of cars with lots of stickers.
    So apparently I can’t upload pictures anymore? It’s asking for a URL.

Anyway I was going to post a picture of the new “SubaDoo” (Sam’s name for it) since we washed it together this afternoon.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085

So apparently I can’t upload pictures anymore? It’s asking for a URL.

Anyway I was going to post a picture of the new “SubaDoo” (Sam’s name for it) since we washed it together this afternoon.

Shhh, not allowed to discuss that anywhere except in the board devoted to it. Fixing it is apparently harder than getting parts for a Pope-Toledo though.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    stickguy said:

my wife might like the passport. Will feel a little more like our RDX maybe. But who knows. If we were looking now, I would also show her the V60 and XC60 Volvos, BMW X3, and Subaru OB (new one). along with the Passport and RDX. Might throw in a Santa Fe just for kicks.

benjaminh said:

2019 Subaru Outback 3.6 Limited in Wilderness Green.

$1k OOP (of which $600 was registration) and $298/month including 10.5% tax for 36 months and 10k a year....

Amazing that you can lease a $39k car for that.

Also amazing that while everyone else has abandoned station wagons, Subaru sales have been booming for more than ten years while selling maybe 90% station wagon-SUVs.

The Subaru Foresters that my parents used to own seemed a bit rough compared to the Hondas I owned at the time, but I imagine that today a top-of-the-line Outback with a big 6-cylinder engine is pretty close to being a luxury car.
    The big uptick in Subie sales came when the 2010 Outback debuted as the most SUV-looking wagon that ever was.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    I think the wife is not happy I got the TLX last winter. She likes it, but yesterday made a random comment when we got into the RDX that "it smells old". Could be a long 2 years until it is time for a new one, that is definitely going to be for her.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Now at about 3 months and a week with the wagon. Payment still makes me cringe a little, but it sure is nice to drive, really an ideal car. The most recent C&D has a blurb about their long term test example, nothing but positives.

Had a fun chat about it today when browsing a special interest used car lot - an employee and his father (apparently) were chatting, and noticed I drove the wagon. The father was really taken by it - car people "get it" (he had a same color W212 parked near me).
    stickguy said:

I think the wife is not happy I got the TLX last winter. She likes it, but yesterday made a random comment when we got into the RDX that "it smells old". Could be a long 2 years until it is time for a new one, that is definitely going to be for her.

Can you infuse some new car scent into the RDX? Perhaps some leather treatment?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    corvette said:

Does a new A/C unit count as a punch? Asking for a friend...

Fan motor on the 29 year old, extremely rusted outside unit gave up the ghost yesterday afternoon. $775 for a new fan motor or $4,175 for a new unit and new A-coil inside. Since I'm using the same company that installed my ductless mini split unit upstairs, they gave me a "frequent flier" discount. :D Also, I'm very grateful that I did not sell the window A/C unit that I used to use upstairs before I got the mini-split. I pulled it out of attic storage and put it in my bedroom window. Between running that in my downstairs bedroom and leaving the upstairs door open to allow the upstairs mini split to cool the entire house as much as it can, the house is relatively comfortable in spite of the main A/C being out of commission. I have the central HVAC blower running to circulate air, and the entire first floor has managed to stay in the low 70s today. It's a small house, but I'm still impressed.

I had a surplus I was planning on using to pay down the G37 loan, but looks like this will put me at least a couple of months out on making any extra payment on the G.

I know what that feels like. My condenser fan motor stopped working 2 years ago but my Lenox unit was only 9 years old when it happened. Nowhere near your 29 year old unit. However, it only cost me around $160 for a new fan motor via the internet. I was surprised it was delivered in 2 days even though I did not pay extra for shipping. I guess you can say I lucked out on that but I think the AC gods owed me that for the original early motor failure. Changing that motor was very easy. I think it took me about an hour to do it after I thought about how to go about doing it. I sure as hell wouldn't want that to happen with the heat and humidity we have had the last couple of days here in the Burgh. I don't think Ohio has been any better the last few days either. I admit that I'm a wimp when it comes to the heat of summers. To be honest, I don't know how I lived without AC when I was growing up.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    I think she just wants a new car now. This one turns 7 in September.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    stickguy said:

You sleep on the couch sir, dog house next. If I replace the Accord anytime soon, I will be in the same predicament, lol.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    stickguy said:

Maybe, it's you, and not the car?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

stickguy said:

Swap cars with her. Might be for your own good.

stickguy said:

GASP!

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Um, wasn’t the original idea to get a new vehicle for her? Your saga had so many twists and turns I can’t remember!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    @ stick guy maybe you should swap cars like you mentioned above for the time being, unless you could pull off another car payment sooner ha ha. Do you know will enable a new car punch in here without any hesitation.
    Happy belated Fourth of July everyone, sorry didn’t get in here yesterday the post. Had a nice day.
    @ Audreys three, sounds like a nice one and love that color red. My ultimate favorite
    @ Corvette, yes pull out that to be a punch in here just this one time lol
    yes, that was the original (well, at least one iteration of it) plan. But we shifted gears. I did hear a lot of "but I like my car" out of her. Which she does. She uses mine sometimes but prefers hers, since she knows how everything works, and it sits higher. So a new CUV when the time comes, with some good lessons on how the tech works.

I checked today. currently at 54,550 miles on it. I think it might last a while longer.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    jmonroe1 said:

However, it only cost me around $160 for a new fan motor via the internet. I was surprised it was delivered in 2 days even though I did not pay extra for shipping.

I briefly thought about going the DIY route and looking for the part online, but for a nearly 30 year old unit, something else is bound to go soon anyway. It's also an eyesore, and then I'd have to be outside in the heat working on it.

Since I'm trying to get my house to the point that it's as low-maintenance as the one I had before, it made sense to replace it. Once I replace the deck with Trex and install gutter guards, exterior maintenance should consist of pressure washing, occasionally painting the front porch, and having the driveway sealed every couple of years.
    edited July 2019
    corvette said:

Since I'm trying to get my house to the point that it's as low-maintenance as the one I had before, it made sense to replace it. Once I replace the deck with Trex and install gutter guards, exterior maintenance should consist of pressure washing, occasionally painting the front porch, and having the driveway sealed every couple of years.

I've lived in this place for almost 22 years. One of the reasons I bought it was that it had a detached garage. It was only a small single-car, 12'x20', but seemed well built and did the job.

The problem was that it was probably as old as the house (built mid-'50s) and was sheathed only with "ranch board" plywood (I think it's also called T1-11). It had been painted a couple of times during my ownership but was really at the end of its life and was looking shabby. I also had accumulated a bunch of home and garden stuff that really was too much to handle inside the garage along with the Cutlass. So I am right now in the middle of having what amounts to an 8"x12" garden shed extension added to it, along with new roof shingles and new vinyl siding in a color that matches the house. It should be very useful once it's finished and will allow the car space to be used just for car stuff.

As is always the case, now that the garage is looking good, the actual driveway is now looking not so hot. I don't know how old the asphalt is but it has wheel depressions in it and is also probably due for replacement. I will have to add that to my list of improvements.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    Home ownership can be a real drain on the check book, yet I prefer it to renting. At least there is the potential for appreciation and we can make modifications to it as we like.

Does your ATS have to stay outside, or is there a garage attached to your house?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

Home ownership can be a real drain on the check book, yet I prefer it to renting. At least there is the potential for appreciation and we can make modifications to it as we like.

Does your ATS have to stay outside, or is there a garage attached to your house?

No, it lives in the driveway. From time to time I think of having a carport of some sort built, but the snow and wind here might make that problematic. The other thought I have at times of weakness is to excavate a second driveway that would allow it to be parked underneath a new non-permeable deck, but it might be cheaper just to relocate. :o

Really, the list of projects is never ending - a new kitchen is likely next, then perhaps new siding on the house to replace the dated aluminum, the list goes on. Like you, having lived in rental apartments from 1982 until 1997, I would be reluctant to go back to that. I like the quiet and privacy here, and enjoy the yard and garden even if it is a lot of work at times.