Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    driver100 said:

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

houdini2 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

thebean said:

Does anyone follow the Tour de France bike race, which starts tomorrow? I think it’s the most difficult event in sports. Three weeks of relentless pain and pressure. The lovely Mrs Bean loves to watch it also, primarily for the scenery in France and surrounding areas. I look forward to it every year.

I usually dont follow it. Bike racing is a tough sport due to it requiring a consistent high level of effort to be of any good at it.

However I would say the Iditarod would be the most difficult event in sports due to the fact that you are racing through some of the most unforgiving remote areas in weather that can be brutal.
    Not sure what an Iditarod is but the hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball. If you measure the distance from the pitchers hand to the strike zone the ball is in the strike zone faster than you can think and react, so hitter has to be practically swinging by the time the ball leaves the pitchers hand.
    Yet baseballs get hit all the time.

The Iditarod is a 1,000 mile dog sledding race from just north of Anchorage to Nome in Alaska.
    Lots of lists on this topic, basically the same, no mention of Iditarod. Here is the basic list;
    10. The Downhill (Skiiing)
    9. Saving a Penalty Kick
    8. Tour De France
    7. Running a Marathon
    6. Landing a Quad (Ice skating)
    5. Returning a Serve
    4. Hitting a long straight tee shot
    3. Pole Vaulting
    2. Race Car Driving
    1. Hitting a Baseball

Maybe Iditarod is the hardest sport for dogs! :)
    Simply hitting a baseball is not that hard. Hitting a grand slam off a major league pitcher would make the list. Concerning your list, item #4. Hitting a long straight drive is one of the easier things to do in golf. Making a hole in one is much harder to do, and involves some luck. Probably the hardest thing to do in golf is to consistently "shoot your age". Being so far off on these items makes your entire list suspect.
    Simply hitting a baseball is not that hard! Oh yeh;
    In .1 second, the ball has traveled twelve feet as the batter locates the ball out from the pitcher’s hand. It takes another .07 of a second for the batter to recognize speed, movement, and trajectory. By now, the ball has traveled another ten feet, and it will require .017 of a second for the brain and body to work harmoniously when swinging. This leaves just .09 of a second for the batter to decide to swing or not. The slightest hesitation could be the difference between a home run and a swinging strike.

And that is just part of the exercise. Another aspect is swinging with the right trajectory. Swinging with too steep of a downward trajectory will result in a ground ball. Swinging with too much of an uppercut will result in a pop-up. David Kagan, physics professor at California State University-Chico, plotted all 586 home runs during April 2009 of the MLB season. The plot shows trajectory versus exit velocity off the bat. Kagan found that the average home run was launched at an angle of 29 ± 5 degrees at a speed of 101 ± 4 miles per hour (Kagan). There is not much room for error when swinging with the appropriate trajectory for hitting a home run. In addition, the trajectory at which you must swing varies from pitch-to-pitch. Thus, finding the right path at which to swing is quite difficult since there is not one given trajectory for every pitch under the sun.

It is a miracle that someone can hit a home run. And a good batting average is hitting once every 3 times!

And you think anyone can hit a baseball?
    Hitting once every 3 times is dependent on what you call hitting the ball. One in three tries is good only if you only count making it to base on a hit ball. Add those balls that are hit fair but are not considered hits due to a fly ball being caught or the batter being picked of at a base and the rate of getting a hit gets to be around what? 50 percent? Add in the hits that are foul balls but do go forward from the batter and the rate goes up even more. On baseball balls get hit all the time.
    Balls get hit but it only counts if it ends up on the playing field or a home run. The others are really misses.
    About the Iditarod, for one thing I think we are talking about mainstream sports, 99% of the people wouldn't know what an Iditarod is (even my windows program underlines the word as misspelled). But aside from that, it sounds like the things you do can be done by most people....although not done well. Probably only a tiny fraction of people could actually hit a baseball thrown by a professional pitcher. Look at the timeline....you need to judge where to hit the ball in a fraction of a second.
    I have seen a few lists of the hardest thing to do in sports, and hitting a baseball was #1 on every list.
    Only counts if it gets in the infield? Are we talking on out getting a hit in baseball or hitting a baseball? they are 2 different things.
    The hardest thing to do in sports is to "hit a baseball".......but not hit a foul ball, not hit it so it hits the ump, not hit it so it just nicks your bat, but to hit a ball that is in play. This was calculated by taking scientific factors into consideration, speed of the ball, distance ball travels, amount of time brain has to react.
    Hit a baseball means bat makes contact with the baseball. That is the definition of "hit" it is different from getting a base hit
    Snake...the last time I played baseball was a fun softball game about 15 years ago. The ball was pitched and probably traveled at 15 mph.
    I would like to see you stand at the plate, have a professional pitcher throw a fastball at 110 mph, and watch you try to make any kind of contact with the bat :)
    I doubt anyone who could pitch at 110 MPH would be worried about civilians like us. Fastest recorded pitch speed in MLB is 105 MPH.

And, we're starting to get into the definition of what "is" is.

Learned today that the players in an average soccer match run about 7 miles total. Plus all the coordination of their legs, feet and bodies, and I have a new respect for them.
    The fastest recorded speed is 105.1 but that may be on the high side as there may be issues with the radar guns used. Guinness records the fastest at just under 101. Even if not you most likely not see a pitch much faster than that. The forces required to propel a ball at speeds any greater than we see now are greater than the arm can withstand. If any pitcher ever threw a 110 MPH fastball it would likely end his career.
    OK, I'd like to see you in the batter's box hitting a baseball travelling at 85 mph :D
    It's been a while since I was in the batting cage but I did OK at it. And I still cant believe you went this route.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited July 2019
    driver100 said:

...I would like to see you stand at the plate, have a professional pitcher throw a fastball at 110 mph, and watch you try to make any kind of contact with the bat :)

I haven't had a bat in my hand since high school PE, but I am sure I'd have no trouble
    making contact with the bat.
    Now, contacting the ball would be a different matter. :)B):p;)

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

thebean said:

Does anyone follow the Tour de France bike race, which starts tomorrow? I think it’s the most difficult event in sports. Three weeks of relentless pain and pressure. The lovely Mrs Bean loves to watch it also, primarily for the scenery in France and surrounding areas. I look forward to it every year.

I usually dont follow it. Bike racing is a tough sport due to it requiring a consistent high level of effort to be of any good at it.

However I would say the Iditarod would be the most difficult event in sports due to the fact that you are racing through some of the most unforgiving remote areas in weather that can be brutal.
    Not sure what an Iditarod is but the hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball. If you measure the distance from the pitchers hand to the strike zone the ball is in the strike zone faster than you can think and react, so hitter has to be practically swinging by the time the ball leaves the pitchers hand.

The Iditarod is a 1,000 mile dog sledding race from just north of Anchorage to Nome in Alaska.
    Lots of lists on this topic, basically the same, no mention of Iditarod. Here is the basic list;
    9. Saving a Penalty Kick
    8. Tour De France
    7. Running a Marathon
    5. Returning a Serve
    3. Pole Vaulting
    2. Race Car Driving
    1. Hitting a Baseball

Is this an actual ranking? If so, I'd have to put landing a quad close to the top of the list because only recently have the best-of-the-best managed to do it!

I'm not sure running a marathon should even be on the list! I've run two, and my wife claims to be out of shape even though she has run 39. The Tour de France should be much higher on the list because that requires a fairly exhaustive effort for 21 out of 23 days. Those guys spend 4-6 hours each day putting down twice the power I can manage for an hour, and my bike splits are typically in the 2nd quartile of most of the triathlons I race.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,216
    Also, in a bike race, you have to concentrate fully for 4+ hours as you are riding inches away from the other riders and touching wheels results in a crash. Crashes at 40 mph are not a lot of fun on an asphalt road.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    ronsteve said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

thebean said:

9. Saving a Penalty Kick
    8. Tour De France
    7. Running a Marathon
    5. Returning a Serve
    3. Pole Vaulting
    2. Race Car Driving
    1. Hitting a Baseball

Is this an actual ranking? If so, I'd have to put landing a quad close to the top of the list because only recently have the best-of-the-best managed to do it!
    The list was published in U.S.A. Today. Other lists may vary....this isn't an exact science, but, hitting a baseball is #1 on almost every list. I think saving a penalty kick in soccer should be #2, because the goalie almost has to guess where the ball is going to go. The kicker has a huge advantage.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    abacomike said:

Just got some great news from my daughter - she found a 1-bedroom apartment in Boynton Beach and she is moving there when she arrives Friday! Hooray! No cat and no aggravation! Boynton Beach is about a 35-40 minute drive north of me. So my love for her at a distance remains in tact. 😜🤪😝

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    driver100 said:

ronsteve said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

thebean said:

9. Saving a Penalty Kick
    8. Tour De France
    7. Running a Marathon
    5. Returning a Serve
    3. Pole Vaulting
    2. Race Car Driving
    1. Hitting a Baseball

The list was published in U.S.A. Today. Other lists may vary....this isn't an exact science, but, hitting a baseball is #1 on almost every list. I think saving a penalty kick in soccer should be #2, because the goalie almost has to guess where the ball is going to go. The kicker has a huge advantage.

So when was the first PK save in soccer? How many goalies have done it?

When was the first (whatever counts as hitting a baseball?) How many have done it?

On the other hand, the first quad jump in figure skating was in the 1990s, and even in the last Winter Games there were medal contenders that didn't have a quad in their routine.

In the Tour de France, some of the best sprinters... guys with more stage wins than anyone else... struggle to make the time cutoff in the mountain stages.

IMHO, these "rankings" are garbage and biased toward the stick and ball sports. Not that I would make the argument that running a marathon ranks among the most difficult things in sports.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited July 2019
    Wow this was scary. I was out driving in that storm and flooded Route 95 in a Tesla Model X. Don't know how safe an electric car is in the rain but every time the lightning opened the skies I would scream with fear.

ronsteve said:

driver100 said:

ronsteve said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

thebean said:

9. Saving a Penalty Kick
    8. Tour De France
    7. Running a Marathon
    5. Returning a Serve
    3. Pole Vaulting
    2. Race Car Driving
    1. Hitting a Baseball

When was the first (whatever counts as hitting a baseball?) How many have done it?

On the other hand, the first quad jump in figure skating was in the 1990s, and even in the last Winter Games there were medal contenders that didn't have a quad in their routine.

In the Tour de France, some of the best sprinters... guys with more stage wins than anyone else... struggle to make the time cutoff in the mountain stages.

IMHO, these "rankings" are garbage and biased toward the stick and ball sports. Not that I would make the argument that running a marathon ranks among the most difficult things in sports.
    Not sure about the soccer questions or the first baseball was hit...though could probably find out.

About quadruple quads in skating....no doubt a tremendous feat to be able to do it, but, they have already seen a quadruple axel which is 4 rotations plus a half, and they think within a few years skaters will master a quintuple rotation....or 5 rotations. This will be difficult, but relies on a few calculations.......skaters speed of rotating, slope of his jump etc........they do this sport through calculations.

Hitting a baseball, is not done by a formula, it is done in a 100th of a second, by the batters brain and hand and eye coordination. And the baseball coming in is a big variable......the ice stays in the same spot.

Having said that, a lot of people would agree with you the rankings are meaningless. I think they are interesting and are fairly well thought out....but, there is no definitive answer.

omarman said:

abacomike said:

Just got some great news from my daughter - she found a 1-bedroom apartment in Boynton Beach and she is moving there when she arrives Friday! Hooray! No cat and no aggravation! Boynton Beach is about a 35-40 minute drive north of me. So my love for her at a distance remains in tact. 😜🤪😝

+1 Glad it worked out.
    Hope she can make it on her own, and glad you don't have to live with the cat.

• houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    driver100 said:

ronsteve said:

driver100 said:

ronsteve said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

thebean said:

9. Saving a Penalty Kick
    8. Tour De France
    7. Running a Marathon
    5. Returning a Serve
    3. Pole Vaulting
    2. Race Car Driving
    1. Hitting a Baseball

Not sure about the soccer questions or the first baseball was hit...though could probably find out.

About quadruple quads in skating....no doubt a tremendous feat to be able to do it, but, they have already seen a quadruple axel which is 4 rotations plus a half, and they think within a few years skaters will master a quintuple rotation....or 5 rotations. This will be difficult, but relies on a few calculations.......skaters speed of rotating, slope of his jump etc........they do this sport through calculations.

Hitting a baseball, is not done by a formula, it is done in a 100th of a second, by the batters brain and hand and eye coordination. And the baseball coming in is a big variable......the ice stays in the same spot.
    Yes, and major league players manage to get hits routinely, several times each game.

And skaters are doing quadruple quads consistently in order to compete.
    Personally, I would find a quadruple quad harder than hitting a baseball since I can't skate. In fact, I can't do a one quad.

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    edited July 2019
    What is a "quadruple quad"?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    A pint of beer?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

dino001 said:

A quad, or quadruple, is a figure skating jump with at least four but less than five revolutions. .

Relating this to cars: The jump requires subverting basic survival instincts to spin faster than 400 rotations per minute (the wheels on a car going 60 miles per hour rotate about 800 times per minute) without losing control.

Slightly different topic.....in the last month I have hit about 6 really big potholes. These are the kind where the front end makes a loud clunk and the whole car shakes. The car seems fine after.....could it be?
    All of these were hidden or there was no way to avoid them. The last one I was on a street that I haven't been on and suddenly my lane was going to end, so I moved over a lane - while a very aggressive guy in a black pick up was trying to keep me out, and I hit a man hole cover that had sunk into the ground.
    Another one was near our house, the 4 lane road had been patched. All you could see was a black patch, but hidden behind was a huge hole that dropped down. I called my counselor and it was fixed the next day.
    Is there a possibility you can hit a jaw jarring pothole, and not need an alignment?

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Might be the ultimate Supercharger B)
    bwia said:

Wow this was scary. I was out driving in that storm and flooded Route 95 in a Tesla Model X. Don't know how safe an electric car is in the rain but every time the lightning opened the skies I would scream with fear.

Lucky if just need an alignment! Real worry is a busted wheel or damaged tire. Having run flats might help with that.

edited July 2019
    driver100 said:

dino001 said:

A quad, or quadruple, is a figure skating jump with at least four but less than five revolutions. .

Relating this to cars: The jump requires subverting basic survival instincts to spin faster than 400 rotations per minute (the wheels on a car going 60 miles per hour rotate about 800 times per minute) without losing control.
    I knew what a quad was. I know what quadruple jump is. I don't know what a quadruple quad is. Four quadruple air pirouettes in the raw? :wink: That's never been done, as far as I know, it may take some supermutants to achieve.

Hint: I was pulling your chain.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    driver100 said:

Slightly different topic.....in the last month I have hit about 6 really big potholes. These are the kind where the front end makes a loud clunk and the whole car shakes. The car seems fine after.....could it be?
    All of these were hidden or there was no way to avoid them. The last one I was on a street that I haven't been on and suddenly my lane was going to end, so I moved over a lane - while a very aggressive guy in a black pick up was trying to keep me out, and I hit a man hole cover that had sunk into the ground.
    Another one was near our house, the 4 lane road had been patched. All you could see was a black patch, but hidden behind was a huge hole that dropped down. I called my counselor and it was fixed the next day.
    Is there a possibility you can hit a jaw jarring pothole, and not need an alignment?

Possible. I'd certainly check the vehicle is tracking straight, although even that might not be an "all clear" signal. I dinged a curb once while sliding in ice at low speed. car tracked straight, no noises, but the lower control arm got bent. The wheel had moved back about an inch and in a bit. At first glance, everything looked right, but after looking at the right side then the left, I noticed the difference in positioning relative to the wheel well. I was going to have the alignment checked to be sure, but that was an obvious one.

I've hit some unavoidable bone shakers that made me look closely at the wheel to see is it got damaged. I suppose a hard enough hit would make me get an alignment check. As I wasn't in the car, you have a better idea of how hard it was. And if the hits were all on one wheel, I'd lean towards checking.

Pullling, unusual tire wear, maybe even feeling different when it turns left vs right, all might be very subtle signs
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    driver100 said:

I have had major kawhaaaams and gone in for alignment check even when I didn't feel a great difference in the position of the steering wheel or the manner of steering straight down the road. Sometimes the alignment has been affected some. Sometimes the alignment guy said it was small in difference.

But I'm really sensitive to the feel of the steering and I have Michelins, which I don't want to wear out prematurely. I'm hoping to sell or junk the Cobalt with the same tires without having had to replace them.

I worry more about the rims being forced out-of-round or the tire damaged from the impact.

My alignments are $79 or so depending on how much needed redone. Yours?

I had lots of pothole problems last year because of I75 and the slow repairs on the potholes mostly in downtown Dayton. The folks running Dayton City are terrible about keeping up on reporting the problems for maintenance.

If car does not have noticeable change to the steering, I'd still get it checked. Tire wear could be increased with a toe change. Peace of mind.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

bwia said:

That boat has the largest mast, and lightening does strike the highest point. Maybe not put a large mast on your Tesla.

But we had an accident near us a few weeks ago. Guy was driving at 2 a.m., hit a telephone pole. From evidence pieced together at the scene, detectives believe he got out of the car, walking no more than 3 feet before he stepped on a downed hydro wire that was live, Stewart.

Without a street light, police do not believe he saw the black wire.

He was electrocuted and likely killed instantly.

Now they say if you think there could be electrical wires down near your car then stay in the car and don't touch anything on the car.

dino001 said:

driver100 said:

dino001 said:

I knew what a quad was. I know what quadruple jump is. I don't know what a quadruple quad is. Four quadruple air pirouettes in the raw? :wink: That's never been done, as far as I know, it may take some supermutants to achieve.

Hint: I was pulling your chain.
    Funny....I guess a quadruple quad would be 16 rotations....very hard to do. :D

Finally, somebody got it. :wink:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I like the thoughts about a wheel alignment and hitting a big pothole.
    The only thing that bothers me is I just know...I could have the alignment done, and I will hit an even larger one the next day.
    Guess you have to do it and hope for the best. At least they will throw in a car wash and I won't have to wait 2 hours.
    I am sure it will cost more than $79. Roads seem really bad this year, harsh winter and not much infrastructure money!

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460

driver100 said:

woodyww said:

driver100 said:

It is a miracle that someone can hit a home run. And a good batting average is hitting once every 3 times!

Yeah. I've watched a fair amount of MLB baseball in my life. Trying to get a hit against a great pitcher--even what passes for an "OK" pitcher in the MLB--I can't imagine. Sometimes the fielding seems the most impressive to me (depending). Those guys are athletes at a very high level.

Women's World Cup on Live, right now--the USA Women's football (soccer) team--they're some of the best athletes I've seen, in any sport.

I don't usually watch soccer but I watched that game and really enjoyed it. They are great athletes......and the U.S. won in a nicely played game. The way they play I wonder if they will be able to walk when they are 40?

Most high level sports would be hard for an average person to do. Like Malcom Gladwell says, you have to do something for 100000 hours to get really good at it. I have a feeling stickguy is going to become fantastic at doing renos at this rate.
    I hope you're right. Son #1 and I could use a good man to help us finishing up his flip house. We're on vacation now at Myrtle Beach but before we left last Friday we laid wood laminate flooring in the living room with more to do in the dining room, hall and kitchen. The 4 bedrooms will be carpeted. I'm not a fan of that laminate flooring but everyone I talk to including realtors keep telling me that people want wood or anything that looks like wood so, the more of that stuff the better. I still don't get the infatuation with that stuff but if the experts say do it, who am I to say no.

Yep, when I get back from vacation @stickguy should be expecting a call from either me or my son. He'll be done with his daughter's place by then and will probably want to show off some of his handy work.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    edited July 2019
    dino001 said:

Finally, somebody got it. :wink:

OK, I'll admit it, 16 rotations would be harder than hitting a baseball.

Alignments on my 3-series and 4-series cost $120-$200, depending if done at dealerships, or indie shops. I'd imagine your Benz will be similar. Regular tire stores would not even touch my cars with alignment jobs. They don't have the required equipment (electronics that make it simulate running at 50+ mph), only specialized stores have those.

It's basically a road hazard issue - as you said, you risk another even worse hit tomorrow, indeed, but long term it causes premature and uneven tread ware on the tires, possibly some other issues on the mechanical systems, if the geometry is significantly out of whack.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

driver100 said:

Personally, I would find a quadruple quad harder than hitting a baseball since I can't skate. In fact, I can't do a one quad.

driver100 said:

Quadruple quad isn't a thing. I think driver made that up. Now a quad jump (I think several have gone as hard as the quad lutz, but quad axels are still few and far between) is a different story.

Still, my point remains... skaters hitting quad jumps are competing at the top level of the sport right now, and it was practically unheard of 20 years ago. Kids in Little League are hitting baseballs. Maybe not 100 mph fastballs, but they are hitting baseballs and have been doing so for eons.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

jipster said:

jipster said:

qbrozen - Would be nice if it were just a fuse. Looked in the owners manual... a lot (8) of possibilities. I'll check them out when I get the chance.

Oldfarmer- Haven't had an independent in about 8 years. I would think even Goodyear would be able to diagnose and repair an a/c problem. Doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. Just went out and altered between the a/c.and heat, sounded as if the blend door was.moving.

Snake- Well, there is an independent that a few people in my HOA web site have mentioned. May check them out.

It’s not that they can’t diagnose a problem it’s what they charge to fix it. I went to Firestone for a flat. They told me my lower control arm bushings we shot. I looked at them and yeah they were right. Estimate was over a thousand. Took it to my indie guy and he fixed them for under $500. They get a commission to upsell you as well so there’s always a story at the end of your visit.

I have an indie guy for general mechanics, transmissions, body work and AC work. I like to think I’m carrying a whole bunch of small businesses.
    Last time I went to Firestone was for a brake job. They told me I needed new pads. rotors, tie rods replaced and a few other things costing big bucks. I took it to my regular guy and told him what Firestone say and his reply was "Yeah, no." All he said I needed was new pads and have the rotors turned. I stay away from Firestone.
    Not that much more $ for new rotors, as opposed to just having them turned.
    While I do believe that's the case now, but this was in the early 80's and things were a little different back then. Rotors were a bit more pricey back then.
    Also, way back when the rotors were worth turning, unlike the cheap ones today that warp on a hot day just sitting there.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

abacomike said:

Maybe she reads these forums. ;)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

Only way to know for sure is to have it checked. Probably ought to have the wheels checked too.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

woodyww said:

driver100 said:

Yeah. I've watched a fair amount of MLB baseball in my life. Trying to get a hit against a great pitcher--even what passes for an "OK" pitcher in the MLB--I can't imagine. Sometimes the fielding seems the most impressive to me (depending). Those guys are athletes at a very high level.

Women's World Cup on Live, right now--the USA Women's football (soccer) team--they're some of the best athletes I've seen, in any sport.

I don't usually watch soccer but I watched that game and really enjoyed it. They are great athletes......and the U.S. won in a nicely played game. The way they play I wonder if they will be able to walk when they are 40?

Most high level sports would be hard for an average person to do. Like Malcom Gladwell says, you have to do something for 100000 hours to get really good at it. I have a feeling stickguy is going to become fantastic at doing renos at this rate.
    I hope you're right. Son #1 and I could use a good man to help us finishing up his flip house. We're on vacation now at Myrtle Beach but before we left last Friday we laid wood laminate flooring in the living room with more to do in the dining room, hall and kitchen. The 4 bedrooms will be carpeted. I'm not a fan of that laminate flooring but everyone I talk to including realtors keep telling me that people want wood or anything that looks like wood so, the more of that stuff the better. I still don't get the infatuation with that stuff but if the experts say do it, who am I to say no.

Yep, when I get back from vacation @stickguy should be expecting a call from either me or my son. He'll be done with his daughter's place by then and will probably want to show off some of his handy work.

jmonroe
    Well, there’s laminate and then there’s laminate. The cheap stuff looks like it, but the really nice laminate like CORE-Tec is hard to tell from wood. Bonus is that dogs don’t slip as much on laminate as they do on hardwood floors. I have always ripped all carpeting out of every house I’ve lived in. Between allergies and pets, wood, laminate and tile is so much easier to keep clean.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    There are also some actual tiles, and a sort of rubber like material flooring that both resemble wood while wearing far better. Don't know much about them, but have seen both in model homes recently.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    driver100 said:

dino001 said:

Why do you do this to me? Ok a car going 60 MPH is going 1 mile a minute, if the tire is rotating at 800 times a minute that means the circumference of the tire is 1/800th of a mile or 6.6 feet or 79.2 inches. This would make the diameter of the wheel 25.2 inches. Sounds about right.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254
    edited July 2019

abacomike said:

Maybe she reads these forums. ;)
    Nobody reads these forums - we just skim through them. But if she does, by chance, read these forums, “...I love you sweetheart! Don’t pay any attention to my posts!” 😜🤪😝😇😇😇

“Nobody else does does!”

2021 Genesis G90

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

woodyww said:

driver100 said:

we laid wood laminate flooring in the living room with more to do in the dining room, hall and kitchen. . I still don't get the infatuation with that stuff but if the experts say do it, who am I to say no.
    jmonroe
    People like wood floors because they can keep them clean fairly easy.....and much cleaner than say carpets. Mrs. D would prefer tiles throughout the house if she had built our homes....but, they came with wood which is a good second choice.

dino001 said:

Alignments on my 3-series and 4-series cost $120-$200, depending if done at dealerships, or indie shops. I'd imagine your Benz will be similar. Regular tire stores would not even touch my cars with alignment jobs. They don't have the required equipment (electronics that make it simulate running at 50+ mph), only specialized stores have those.

It's basically a road hazard issue - as you said, you risk another even worse hit tomorrow, indeed, but long term it causes premature and uneven tread ware on the tires, possibly some other issues on the mechanical systems, if the geometry is significantly out of whack.

You have talked me into it..............I want to wait just a few weeks though.......see if I can drive and avoid potholes before doing an alignment.

ronsteve said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Quadruple quad isn't a thing. I think driver made that up. Now a quad jump (I think several have gone as hard as the quad lutz, but quad axels are still few and far between) is a different story.

Still, my point remains... skaters hitting quad jumps are competing at the top level of the sport right now, and it was practically unheard of 20 years ago. Kids in Little League are hitting baseballs. Maybe not 100 mph fastballs, but they are hitting baseballs and have been doing so for eons.
    The reason for my confusion is because articles I checked would say something like this;
    "Over the past few decades, the quadruple jump—consisting of four revolutions in the air", but, they call one rotation a single quad. I was writing quickly so I assumed if a single quad was one rotation, 4 rotations was a quad quad.

Kids hit baseballs in little leagues, kids play soccer, hockey, football, but there is a very different level of skill when a person plays professionally. I could say kids have been skating for a long time too......but, doing even a single quad takes a lot more skill. And, I still say, doing a quad is done by studying and working with a formula.....hitting a baseball traveling 100 mph cannot be done learning a formula.....lightening speed brain reaction, perfect timing, have to be calculating the path of the ball as it leaves the pitchers hand.

driver100 said:

dino001 said:

Why do you do this to me? Ok a car going 60 MPH is going 1 mile a minute, if the tire is rotating at 800 times a minute that means the circumference of the tire is 1/800th of a mile or 6.6 feet or 79.2 inches. This would make the diameter of the wheel 25.2 inches. Sounds about right.
    Sounds about right. I learned something today. No, not that a wheel has a circumference of 25.2 inches, I learned not to get into any discussions about "The Hardest Thing To Do In Sports".

JMonroe, you would not be getting the Princess discount. With mileage to get to the Burgh, just call it an even $10K to finish the job, and I will supply my own lunch.

thankfully the project kitchen is probably a total of 80 SF, so once we get everything set up and prepped, won't take long to snap it all together!

the tiles we got are 12x24, so I bought a 12" speed square today to help with making straight cuts, and a flat (undercut) saw to trim down the door jambs. Way easier to do that than to notch the vinyl around them, and deal with the jagged edges later!

stickguy said:

JMonroe, you would not be getting the Princess discount. With mileage to get to the Burgh, just call it an even $10K to finish the job, and I will supply my own lunch.

thankfully the project kitchen is probably a total of 80 SF, so once we get everything set up and prepped, won't take long to snap it all together!

the tiles we got are 12x24, so I bought a 12" speed square today to help with making straight cuts, and a flat (undercut) saw to trim down the door jambs. Way easier to do that than to notch the vinyl around them, and deal with the jagged edges later!

Well, at 10K to help him finish up, you ain't getting a call. Hell, I have known him for years and I'm only charging him 8 grand.

That saw you are talking about used to be called a "floor saw" and were on the high side because they were pretty specialized and not mass produced like circular saws that can't be used for jam trimming. A less expensive saw that can do jam trimming and so much more is a relatively new saw called a "multi-saw". You might want to look into getting one since they can do a lot of different types of sawing with different blades and you can even get a sanding attachment. If it wasn't such a pain postings pics I'd do it but a lot if not all of the tool makers have them so they're not hard to find. You can even get one at Harbour Freight but they don't have one with the quick change blade feature. So, I'd stay away from that one. The one I have is a Porter Cable with the quick blade change feature but there are others that are probably just as good. Mine cost about $150 a few years ago and I would not have wanted to help Son #1 with his flip house without it. That gizmo is worth every penny I paid for it and then some.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254

driver100 said:

dino001 said:

After actually reading your post 5 times, Snake, to fully capture all your computations, my brain just turned to mush! 😗😩🤪😜

2021 Genesis G90

Power tools? what, you think I am made of money. I went with the $11 option from Lowes that works on good old fashioned human power! I think there are only 4 jambs (2 doors) that I need to worry about, and I don't have to cut back that deep. I have see (on HGTV) the fancy electric ones. If I had a lot of doors to do, or ever planned to do this again, I might look into one of those.

stickguy said:

Power tools? what, you think I am made of money. I went with the $11 option from Lowes that works on good old fashioned human power! I think there are only 4 jambs (2 doors) that I need to worry about, and I don't have to cut back that deep. I have see (on HGTV) the fancy electric ones. If I had a lot of doors to do, or ever planned to do this again, I might look into one of those.

C'mon man, do you really think this is the only house your daughter is going to buy. And what about your son? Believe it or not you're going to be their go-to handy man. In the vernacular of our poster buddy @driver100, you're "the guy".

jmonroe
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    The multitool is a great thing to have and they do not have to cost $150. I got a cheapie store brand one for $29 worthless Canadian dollars and use it far more than I ever thought I would. Most useful thing was to cut through inaccessible nails at the end of a deck board hidden under a windbreak wall when I needed to replace a bad board.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

stickguy said:

I just call "The Guy".

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

. In the vernacular of our poster buddy @driver100, you're "the guy".
    jmonroe
    Two and a half Men - when Allan has to fix the TV antennae and Charlie tells him he should "Call the Guy"
    https://youtu.be/Ucspq_h7rqg

my son is planning to buy a house next spring. But he lives 4 hours away, so hard to be "the guy" for that. Plus, unlike the daughter, he has no interesting in DIYing it. So he is looking at houses that are largely done, and if it needs someone major (kitchen/bath/floors) he will budget to have a pro come in and just make it done. Maybe I will help him paint though!

the kids here are saying if they do ever move they will get something new (or fully done) but the princess loves searching for DIY projects, and after this place is done and they do the equity built math, she will be all over another cheap fixer upper place.

I am using it as a proof of concept, to convince the wife that when we finally move, can do the same thing for us.