Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,536
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

It seems there are more watches and models of watches than there are people on the earth. I like watches, but, since I can only wear one at a time I find my everyday one and one for sports (a Timex because it takes a licking and keeps on ticking....well going since they have batteries these days) is enough. Guess I could wear one on each arm and get 4 of them :p

WOW, "wear one on each arm and get 4 of them". Can you send a pic of yourself again? Don't worry about the striped shirt, we're only interested in counting your appendages. :o

jmonroe
    I have 2 now...and wear them both on the same arm at different times (one for regular use, one for sports)
    If I wear a watch on each arm I will need 2 X 2 = 4 watches.
    You're original post said, "wear ONE on each arm and get 4 of them". That sounds like you have more than 2 arms. 4 to be exact. So now you're back-peddling and telling us you're normal. Really? :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637
    driver100 said:

True of any product, you can spend a lot or a little. Only you can decide what is of value to you. Why waste your money on an M5 when a Corolla will also take you to your destination?

Cars and watches, I like 'em.

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison. If a Corolla offered similar performance to an M5 for 1/4 the cost people would never buy an M5. A Timex tells the same time as a Rolex for a lot less.

I get your point though, it’s your money to do with as you wish.
    The Rolex may tell the same time, but, I imagine, there is a feeling you get wearing a Rolex that you won't get wearing a Timex......not that I would actually know.
    But, I do know, a Rolex would be made right, it would feel really nice on the arm, and it looks great too.....the Timex, not so much.
    As I said, it’s your money but my Timex is made pretty good too and looks good IMO. Not M5 good but at least Corolla good.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

True of any product, you can spend a lot or a little. Only you can decide what is of value to you. Why waste your money on an M5 when a Corolla will also take you to your destination?

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison. If a Corolla offered similar performance to an M5 for 1/4 the cost people would never buy an M5. A Timex tells the same time as a Rolex for a lot less.

The Rolex may tell the same time, but, I imagine, there is a feeling you get wearing a Rolex that you won't get wearing a Timex......not that I would actually know.
    But, I do know, a Rolex would be made right, it would feel really nice on the arm, and it looks great too.....the Timex, not so much.
    Not to beat this horse to death but I imagine the feeling you get when wearing a Rolex, is that you've paid too damn much to know what time it is.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,490
    I just find most of these watches to be way too big/bulky/heavy. I don't have a really wide wrist either so they tend to be particularly poorly suited for me.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

I just find most of these watches to be way too big/bulky/heavy. I don't have a really wide wrist either so they tend to be particularly poorly suited for me.

A long time ago on this board a salesman told us that in the car biz your creditworthiness was judged by the quality of your watch. Maybe your shoes too.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,075
    driver100 said:

I have 2 now...and wear them both on the same arm at different times (one for regular use, one for sports)

Do that and you might become a senior citizen hip-hop celebrity, especially if you break out the striped shirt, wear some gold chains and get the windows on the Benz tinted. :)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Not to beat this horse to death but I imagine the feeling you get when wearing a Rolex, is that you've paid too damn much to know what time it is.

jmonroe
    When you wear a Rolex time is not important to you....you have to wave it in front of your face and make a big deal pretending you are looking at the time......flashing the watch in front of everyone so they notice you wear a Rolex. Otherwise, what is the point.
    With a Timex you look at the time when no one is looking at you.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

stickguy said:

You need a good designer watch....super thin. If made right it fits your wrist like a glove....perfectly conforms.

stickguy said:

A long time ago on this board a salesman told us that in the car biz your creditworthiness was judged by the quality of your watch. Maybe your shoes too.
    Sounds like a plan, but, I bet, there are a lot of wealthy people who don't care about their watch...and they wear a Timex or 20 year old Cardinal.

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

It seems there are more watches and models of watches than there are people on the earth. I like watches, but, since I can only wear one at a time I find my everyday one and one for sports (a Timex because it takes a licking and keeps on ticking....well going since they have batteries these days) is enough. Guess I could wear one on each arm and get 4 of them :p

WOW, "wear one on each arm and get 4 of them". Can you send a pic of yourself again? Don't worry about the striped shirt, we're only interested in counting your appendages. :o

jmonroe
    You're original post said, "wear ONE on each arm and get 4 of them". That sounds like you have more than 2 arms. 4 to be exact. So now you're back-peddling and telling us you're normal. Really? :o

jmonroe
    I didn't backpedal. I knew what I meant.....like the formula says. It is just that my thinking is so far advanced from most people they can't keep up. :p

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    When you wear a Rolex time is not important to you....you have to wave it in front of your face and make a big deal pretending you are looking at the time......flashing the watch in front of everyone so they notice you wear a Rolex. Otherwise, what is the point.
    Lol... there was a lyric in a pop song years ago...

Rolling up your sleeve so I can see the Rolly (Rolex) thing

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Driver, I did find a watch like that some years ago and bought it to be my "fancy" watch to wear with suits, etc. really thin leather belt, and ultra thin contoured watch part. really fit perfectly and did not stick out at all. I just don't wear watches now.

I did have a Timex chronograph style too for daily use. they are both (and the old gold Seiko I got from my wife when we got married) in the nightstand drawer, I am sure all with dead batteries.

Regarding the Focus transmission, I read they redesigned most troublesome part of it, then discontinued the car.

Pretty dumb in my opinion. If they got the problem fixed why not just call the next generation by a different name and at least have one fuel efficient sedan. Admittedly, I don’t have access to Ford’s financials so maybe the Focus was a money loser, but still...

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    I think you’re right. The guy with the Timex doesn’t want anyone to know lest they try to rob him of the 10 grand he still has in his pocket. :D

I get an occasional unsolicited comment from people that like my TLX too. The red really makes a difference.

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    I didn't backpedal. I knew what I meant.....like the formula says. It is just that my thinking is so far advanced from most people they can't keep up. :p
    Let me correct that, when dealing with you most people have a hard tIme keeping DOWN. :'(

jmonroe

My day was made today.

I was out in the convertible this morning and as I was stopped at a light the guy in the car next to me shouted out “that’s a nice car”. I thanked him and went on my way with a smile.

This is the second time in two weeks that I’ve received unsolicited compliments on the car. I’m wondering if it’s because it’s now so old that nobody knows what it is and thinks it’s something exotic. Anyway it’s nice to get praise on a bargain purchase.

The only thing better would be compliments from pretty young women.♥️😍 Guess I’ll have to buy a black Altima for that.

I know this post was for my benefit. At least you got a complement on your car. When I got complements on that black Altima it was a rental that I had when Mrs. j's old 2012 Legacy was in the shop having the right front fender replaced because a jacked-up pickup hit it in a kids hockey arena parking lot and taking off. That cost me 500 bucks out of my pocket to get it fixed.

FWIW, that black Altima was an Enterprise car. If you want more complements, you have no excuse for not knowing where to get your hands on one. Then again maybe you don't want to do that because you might get more complements on it than your Stang. What a letdown that would be. :'(

jmonroe
    jmonroe1 said:

My day was made today.

I was out in the convertible this morning and as I was stopped at a light the guy in the car next to me shouted out “that’s a nice car”. I thanked him and went on my way with a smile.

This is the second time in two weeks that I’ve received unsolicited compliments on the car. I’m wondering if it’s because it’s now so old that nobody knows what it is and thinks it’s something exotic. Anyway it’s nice to get praise on a bargain purchase.

The only thing better would be compliments from pretty young women.♥️😍 Guess I’ll have to buy a black Altima for that.

I know this post was for my benefit. At least you got a complement on your car. When I got complements on that black Altima it was a rental that I had when Mrs. j's old 2012 Legacy was in the shop having the right front fender replaced because a jacked-up pickup hit it in a kids hockey arena parking lot and taking off. That cost me 500 bucks out of my pocket to get it fixed.

FWIW, that black Altima was an Enterprise car. If you want more complements, you have no excuse for not knowing where to get your hands on one. Then again maybe you don't want to do that because you might get more complements on it than your Stang. What a letdown that would be. :'(

jmonroe
    Enterprise car you say? So if I wear my Enterprise cap while I drive the vert all the girls will throw themselves on the hood? :p

jmonroe1 said:

My day was made today.

jmonroe
    Enterprise car you say? So if I wear my Enterprise cap while I drive the vert all the girls will throw themselves on the hood? :p
    No, NO, NO, it's the car. NOT the hat and certainly NOT you. :'(

jmonroe
    jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

My day was made today.

jmonroe

jmonroe
    Well that’s disappointing. :'(

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

My day was made today.

jmonroe

jmonroe
    Well that’s disappointing. :'(
    It was meant to be. B)

jmonroe
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

driver100 said:

Ya only got one butt, but 3 cars!
    You can only drive one car at a time but you can wear multiple watches at the same time.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    For what Rolex's go for you can hire someone to wear a Timex and ask him what time it is.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    For what Rolex's go for you can hire someone to wear a Timex and ask him what time it is.
    That could work but if I could afford a Rolex, I wouldn't talk to people who wear a Timex. :@

jmonroe

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    You know, you can pick up a nice looking used Rolex for a couple grand. They aren't too insane.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,295
    edited July 2019
    Since Driver100 posted he has 4 arms, I think it's time to call the Men in Black. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    stickguy said:

You need a good designer watch....super thin. If made right it fits your wrist like a glove....perfectly conforms.

My day was made today.

The Mustang is really more of a "Guys" car.....so, I think those compliments are actually aimed at you.

stickguy said:

Driver, I did find a watch like that some years ago and bought it to be my "fancy" watch to wear with suits, etc. really thin leather belt, and ultra thin contoured watch part. really fit perfectly and did not stick out at all. I just don't wear watches now.

I did have a Timex chronograph style too for daily use. they are both (and the old gold Seiko I got from my wife when we got married) in the nightstand drawer, I am sure all with dead batteries.

Stick....there are some things I still like. One is a watch, and another is a real newspaper. Then I can glance through and find the stories I want to read. I can fold it up and take it with me. I can look at the ads and see if they are of interest to me. Another thing I like is still having a land line. I also like a real clock, not a digital one.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited July 2019
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Stick....there are some things I still like. One is a watch, and another is a real newspaper. Then I can glance through and find the stories I want to read. I can fold it up and take it with me. I can look at the ads and see if they are of interest to me. Another thing I like is still having a land line. I also like a real clock, not a digital one.

“And, these are a few of your favorite things”.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    A newspaper ??? What’s that?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,723
    We now have six electric charging stations in my work garage. Today, it was a Tesla 3 dealership, 3 red, two blue, one black. Didn't note what was docked at the four outdoor stations.

Check engine light came on last night. Code reads an issue with the EVAP system, probably not the gas cap. Hopefully only a couple hundred dollar fix. Or, is it cheaper to just buy a new car?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

carnaught said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Yes, I am a simple man.
    Knock it off JMonroe...no comments from you :@

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    edited July 2019
    Just came back from Kroger picking up a chicken for dinner.

In the checkout lane was a 5-6 year old in a Superman outfit with the BIG S design on the front.
    He was entertaining his younger brother sitting in the cart's child seat with exaggerated Superman
    actions.

I would like to have taken a picture to post here because it would have been perfect. I thought
    of Driver100 when I saw him.

I didn't notice if he was wearing a watch.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

We now have six electric charging stations in my work garage. Today, it was a Tesla 3 dealership, 3 red, two blue, one black. Didn't note what was docked at the four outdoor stations.

Check engine light came on last night. Code reads an issue with the EVAP system, probably not the gas cap. Hopefully only a couple hundred dollar fix. Or, is it cheaper to just buy a new car?

You know it ain't cheaper but you'll smile more. :p

jmonroe
    driver100 said:

carnaught said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Yes, I am a simple man.
    Knock it off JMonroe...no comments from you :@
    I wasn't going to say nothin. :o

jmonroe
    Evap problem might be covered under the emissions warranty. Usually longer than the basic vehicle warranty.
    driver100 said:

My day was made today.

The Mustang is really more of a "Guys" car.....so, I think those compliments are actually aimed at you.

The Mustang isn’t a convertible, I was driving the 20 yo Sebring.

I did have a NYS trooper pull up along side the Mustang once and ask me if I wanted to trade for his patrol car.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Daughter arrived in Florida today - Boynton Beach. I am relieved she arrived safely - it’s a long drive (1300+ miles). When I spoke with her, she was still unloading the truck her friend drove down for her. She starts work on Monday morning.

I asked her to join me for dinner tomorrow night, but I haven’t heard back from her yet. Good to have a child close instead of spread out all over the country. Also happy she found an apartment so she didn’t have to move in with me with her cat.

2021 Genesis G90

edited July 2019
    @abacomike,
    I wouldn't discount the cat just yet.
    If she accepts your dinner invite, I wouldn't bring up the subject either. ;)

@abacomike,

Absolutely not! But she does know about my allergy to cat hair. But all kidding aside, it’s going to be nice to have my daughter close at hand.

2021 Genesis G90

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702

@abacomike,

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    With this tropical storm Barry approaching southern Louisiana, I started wondering why people would want to live in an area that is kept dry most of the time by earthen levies and huge pumps. I’ve been to New Orleans many times and was always in awe seeing boats and barges moving above my head on the Mississippi River.

It seems that every year the lowlands on each side of the levies flood. I will admit that the food there is great as is the music and excitement on Bourbon Street. But living in an area that is below sea level is dangerous. The Netherlands are similar, but they have dikes which work better than earthen levies.

My prayers are with the folks who live in the path of Barry. 20” of rain is certainly no laughing matter.

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

@abacomike,

Absolutely not! But she does know about my allergy to cat hair. But all kidding aside, it’s going to be nice to have my daughter close at hand.
    Turn that around a little and it would be even better if she waited on you hand AND foot. :D

jmonroe
    edited July 2019

:@

In the checkout lane was a 5-6 year old in a Superman outfit with the BIG S design on the front.
    He was entertaining his younger brother sitting in the cart's child seat with exaggerated Superman
    actions.

I would like to have taken a picture to post here because it would have been perfect. I thought

I started a trend...I get a Superman Costume and now everyone wants one!

driver100 said:

actions.

I prefer Spider-Man for a costume. At least your face is covered so know one can recognize you as a complete idiot for wearing a costume to play pickle ball - right driver? 🤪😜😝😛

2021 Genesis G90

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

@abacomike,

Turn that around a little and it would be even better if she waited on you hand AND foot. :D

jmonroe

The last time anyone waited on me “hand AND foot” was a few years ago when I got a manicure and a pedicure in one sitting. Boy, that was delightful! 😝

2021 Genesis G90

edited July 2019
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

actions.

I prefer Spider-Man for a costume. At least your face is covered so know one can recognize you as a complete idiot for wearing a costume to play pickle ball - right driver?
    🤪😜😝😛

lol, but, last Halloween I went as Batman and that required a full facial mask. It was difficult to eat with that mask on....so this year I thought I would try it with no mask.

• houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    Wife bought me a Rolex a few years ago. Wear it very seldom, doesn't keep very good time. Every day watch is a Casio. Keeps perfect time.