Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    @ab348 @andre1969
    Thanks to both for the imgbb information.

Photobucket long ago blocked outside links and orphaned hundreds of pictures I had there. If I paid for a pro account, I could have used url links to them.

They have had several restructures of the site as I salvaged and deleted what pictures were there. The ones there had been downsized in quality when I downloaded them back to my local drive.

Recently I read that Photobucket had been bought by a company that owns lots of other stuff on the net. I found they would now allow outside linking. BUT I found they had blocked my account because I still had over 250 pics stored there. Apparently that's their limit for free accounts. But in the end apparently they lost enough "business" that it hurt when they suddenly blocked outside links and made links already posted around the web to the pics on their sites useless. LOL

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762

The square wheel openings were something that was a 'trademark Chevy' styling thing on pickups, but I never liked that look on the 2014 and later ones.

As usual, I'm out-of-step with what's mainstream, but I think the new Silverados are the best-looking ones in a while, but supposedly they're not selling as well as even Rams.

I don't think it is the styling that is the issue. Interior design/comfort is #1, followed by drivetrain.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

But in the end apparently they lost enough "business" that it hurt when they suddenly blocked outside links and made links already posted around the web to the pics on their sites useless. LOL

Hey, cutting off your nose to spite your face is the thing to do these days! /cry

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,032

As usual, I'm out-of-step with what's mainstream, but I think the new Silverados are the best-looking ones in a while, but supposedly they're not selling as well as even Rams.

I don't care for the Silverado's overly-aggressive front ends, and all modern pickups suffer from being simply way too big. From what I have read, the Silverados suffer even more in the design of the interior. Strange how GM lost their leadership in interior design.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Recently I read that Photobucket had been bought by a company that owns lots of other stuff on the net. I found they would now allow outside linking. BUT I found they had blocked my account because I still had over 250 pics stored there. Apparently that's their limit for free accounts. But in the end apparently they lost enough "business" that it hurt when they suddenly blocked outside links and made links already posted around the web to the pics on their sites useless. LOL

Apparently image hosting isn't as lucrative as originally thought. Photobucket was a good site for a while and I had some pics there too. But I heard they were sold (to a Russian outfit maybe?) and they cut off linking to your photos from places like this. I was able to save the pics that were there at least, but people abandoned them in droves. The same thing is now happening to Flickr now that Yahoo sold it off. They have terms of service that prevent their accounts from hosting anything other than original photos, which would seem to limit their market. Imgbb seems OK for now, but who knows how long that will last.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I had seen this one driving around last week, but the wife wasn't quick enough with her phone to get a shot. Yesterday, we had to drop something of at a farmers market and there it was! 1961 International Harvester Metro van. Owner was telling me about how much work they put into restoring it, and "if I knew of anyone interested" he thinks it's worth $50K to $60K. Sounds a bit inflated to me, but as I have no appraisal expertise...

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    So it's an ice cream truck, with freezers, a generator, and the a/c on the roof? Might be worth that to somebody wanting to start that kind of business, I guess.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    What does a new ice cream truck cost? Start there, I guess.

Neat, but I think he's optimistic, good luck with sale.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Ice cream truck, I'd want a white good Humor one personally
    With a bell!
    PF_Flyer said:

I had seen this one driving around last week, but the wife wasn't quick enough with her phone to get a shot. Yesterday, we had to drop something of at a farmers market and there it was! 1961 International Harvester Metro van. Owner was telling me about how much work they put into restoring it, and "if I knew of anyone interested" he thinks it's worth $50K to $60K. Sounds a bit inflated to me, but as I have no appraisal expertise...

Looks amazing! I suspect the value is wildly optimistic, but I'm sure many folks will get a lot of enjoyment out of seeing it, which is worth a lot more (in the grand scheme of things) than a price tag.

A fellow I know bought an ice cream truck some years ago - it was a Chevy that looked similar in style to that Metro van, called a Step Van, that looked something like this:

It was restored and set up as an ice cream truck when he bought it, so it wasn't cheap, but he thought he would make some of it back by taking it to car shows and selling ice cream, along with selling it during the summer at various hot spots where people tended to go. He was disappointed to learn that the margins on ice cream would require him to sell more of it than he possibly could in order to turn a profit, so after a few years he sold it on and was glad to be done with it. It became more of a job than he wanted.

With a bell! ...and the canvass roof for the driver
    ab348 said:

A fellow I know bought an ice cream truck some years ago - it was a Chevy that looked similar in style to that Metro van, called a Step Van, that looked something like this

Union City Body Company built step vans for Chevrolet chassis from what I can find. I grew up near that town and wondered what happened to that company. It eventually became part of Utilimaster.
    https://www.trailer-bodybuilders.com/archive/union-city-body-company-plans-future-growth-new-management-philosophy

I used to see all the bare chassis being stored and run around the area of the plant when driving west from downtown Union City. Brought back memories of long ago.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    70s or early 80s night. driving around, a 1st gen early Rx7, and getting gas, a Porsche 928. I don't think it was a later run car.

and discovered that someone in my daughter's new neighborhood likes old BMWs. they had an early 2002 (small bumper car) in blue, looked liked it was on a jack in the back. further back in the yard was was an earlish looking 320.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Warmish nice day here, saw but two old cars - a 60s Fairlady roadster, the driver waved at me (I was in the fintail) and a ~70 Chevelle convertible, top down, from a distance. Kind of surprised there wasn't more out given the weather, but this place just doesn't seem to get into it. Saw a 60s-70s Manx style dune buggy on the road yesterday.
    Not running with the PA "classic car" plates, so this could be used as a daily driver

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,216
    Spotted a black on black Acura RL today. It’s really not a bad looking car, but there’s nothing to make you say “I want that!”. Wonder what the reliability is like?
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,937
    thebean said:

Spotted a black on black Acura RL today. It’s really not a bad looking car, but there’s nothing to make you say “I want that!”. Wonder what the reliability is like?

My BIL had a 2005 or 06 RL that he bought CPO with 30k. He was a region manager and drove 4K a month. The car served him well, minimal repairs. He gave it to his sons for their car to use at college. Last year at 325k the check engine light came on though it was running fine. He decided to cut bait and bought a used Sonata for the boys to use.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I'd wager RL reliability is top notch, but it looks like a 4:3 scale prior gen Accord at 3:2 the price of a loaded new one, I suspect they sell in the double digits per month.
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,216
    Also saw a well cared for dove gray Buick Rendezvous. Looked to see if Tiger Woods was driving it, but it was a “just past middle age” lady. It looked to have a lot of life left in it.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    edited July 2019
    A what I think was a 56 Chrysler, not a 300 on a flatbed, probably headed to the new owner.
    Nice looking with 2 tone white over black paint.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    thebean said:

Also saw a well cared for dove gray Buick Rendezvous. Looked to see if Tiger Woods was driving it, but it was a “just past middle age” lady. It looked to have a lot of life left in it.

Saw it’s cousin today too. Bright Yellow Aztec. What was GM thinking?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

actually driving around, an early generation Fiero. looked a little tired, but presentable.

Saw a big 90s Fleetwood on the road today, looked very clean.
    Progress on the image upload and icons front. Functionality appears to be restored. You MAY have to refresh the page or clear your cache. I had unresponsive icons on my ipad until I refreshed and not things are going along just fine.

Let us know what you're seeing in the Forums Feedback and Suggestions discussion (Yea... hyperlink icon works!)
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I went to America's Packard Museum in Dayton, Ohio, a few days ago, which is in an old Packard dealership building. This 1930 Packard Boattail was on a slowly rotating display platform. The dashboard is from a different Packard from the late 1920s....

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    Such magnificent cars. That instrument panel does not seem very easy to read however, perhaps that is the passenger's job.

I gotta stop there next time I make a trip to the AF Museum
    PF_Flyer said:

I gotta stop there next time I make a trip to the AF Museum

We went there too. Wow.

And the Dayton Art Institute is a really nice art museum.
    I always spend a full day at the AF museum. ALWAYS something new
    PF, If you haven't done it before, make sure you take the shuttle over to the presidential aircraft display. Very neat.
    Benjamin, have you been to the Gilmore Museum outside of Grand Rapids, MI? Judging from your postings. I think it is right up your alley.
    berri said:

Benjamin, have you been to the Gilmore Museum outside of Grand Rapids, MI? Judging from your postings. I think it is right up your alley.

No I haven't. But that's a good idea because it sounds great:

https://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/

The challenge is that it's almost 400 miles from where I live, and so I'd need to wait for some days off for a trip like that. Seems like you'd need at least a full day there.
    Don't worry, they have an old time diner for lunch ;)
    Some later Packards, including a 1941 Darrin Convertible, a 41 staff car of the kind used by Gen. Eisenhower, a c.1950 station wagon, and a 1955 dashboard....

I actually recall that while a little kid, my parents had one of those red plaid picnic coolers. No high priced Packard woody though!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217

The Packard museum is only an hour from my house. I'm going to have to get up there.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited July 2019
    There's a museum honoring one of the people involved with the Mustang (and Cyclone) at Ford that's not well known. It's open only by appointment. It's in the residence where Gale Halderman grew up, in the barn, in fact.
    I've been to a car show there on the property. It's a couple miles north of I70, about 10 miles north of "downtown" Dayton.

https://haldermanmustang.com/

They have some events on the property. I'd like to see the red mustang car show.

Interesting... one more stop to make!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,056
    edited July 2019
    That Packard instrument panel is a '56, since it has the pushbutton selector. The '55 panel looks very similar.

I'd been there but it's been probably twenty years. Ironically, the "National Packard Museum" is in Warren, OH. I've been there a few times. It always struck me as odd that there isn't a unified Packard museum a la the Studebaker National Museum.

I was there in South Bend last Saturday for the Concours at Copshaholm, which is right behind the Stude Museum and was the home of the Oliver family, of the Oliver Chilled Plow and Tractors family. I love touring old homes and that one was terrific. There were about 70-75 cars, which isn't a lot, but they were top-notch stuff....mostly prewar and a fair amount of foreign makes, but also had a row of 'letter' Chrysler 300's from '56 to '63. There was a row of Studebaker Presidents of various vintages too.

Parked in front of the Stude Museum was a late-model Rolls. A friend pointed out that the "RR" in the center of each wheel was pointing straight up (correctly). A couple friends later told me that the centers have a bearing and weight to ensure they always 'park' in the correct position. Now that's luxury! LOL

I drove 15 miles west of South Bend to see the former Studebaker Proving Ground, now owned by Navistar and they still use the old three-mile high-speed oval. The property is 800 acres and the trees that spell out "STUDEBAKER" from the air, half a mile long, are still there. I took a pic of the old clubhouse/mansion, which is where '60's Stude president Sherwood Egbert and his family lived. It was used as a backdrop for a lot of brochure photos. I should try again to post a couple pics I took here.

Ate at an Amish buffet on Route 20 in Nappanee, IN on the way home which I loved and enjoyed the leisurely ride home. Wife was in FL visiting her Dad with her brothers.

P.S. to fintail--that '60 Ponton is still across the street from the old Studebaker Administration Building. There's a boat next to it now, which I can't say I remember from last year.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    On another topic: What is the oddest auto model name you can think of (excluding number and letter combinations)? Mine has always been "Duster", LOL.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    Probe

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Gremlin. Should be used for a new Alfa model.

"Probe"! Forgot about that one!
    edited July 2019
    RE.: "Gremlin"--I don't know if the word had this meaning then, but that word can mean 'little problems', of course--surprising it would be chosen.
    berri said:

PF, If you haven't done it before, make sure you take the shuttle over to the presidential aircraft display. Very neat.

We did the shuttle over before, but the Presidential and Experimental stuff is all in the 4th hanger now. No more running to sign up for the shuttle! If you haven't been since the 4th hanger opened, you NEED to go!
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Dictator was an interesting name.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.

On another topic: What is the oddest auto model name you can think of (excluding number and letter combinations)? Mine has always been "Duster", LOL.

MR 2