Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    BMW renewal in January was $525. Outback was $515 for the first year.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    ab348 said:

Just picked up my mail and a couple of interesting things were there. First, the registration renewal for the Cadillac comes due end of September, marking 2 years of ownership. It costs $221.00 in worthless Canadian dollars for 2 years, so $110/yr. How does that compare to where others live?

The second thing was a glossy catalog from Viking River Cruises. How they got my name I dunno but I guess I'm in their demographic. If I was ever going to take a cruise it would probably be one like that rather than an ocean cruise. But man, they aren't cheap. 5 figures for a lot of them.

If the ship got in trouble, at least you might have a chance to wade/swim to shore.
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    ab348 said:

The second thing was a glossy catalog from Viking River Cruises. How they got my name I dunno but I guess I'm in their demographic. If I was ever going to take a cruise it would probably be one like that rather than an ocean cruise. But man, they aren't cheap. 5 figures for a lot of them.

The usual conversation in our house about Viking River Cruises goes something like this (captioned A and B because roles are interchangeable):

A: Hey, a Viking River Cruise might be really enjoyable some day.

B: I know. Of course that probably won't happen til we retire.

A: We'll probably still be the youngest couple on the boat.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    ab348 said:

Just picked up my mail and a couple of interesting things were there. First, the registration renewal for the Cadillac comes due end of September, marking 2 years of ownership. It costs $221.00 in worthless Canadian dollars for 2 years, so $110/yr. How does that compare to where others live?

PA registration went up to $37/year sometime in the last 18 months or so
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    Here in KY the actual registration is $21 a year, but you're also on the hook for personal property tax, which back in January was around $275 for the RDX and $75 for the Jetta.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    Cost for license plates in my county of Ohio is about $60. There's a $10 or $15 bridge tax that the county added on that's included in that number. There is no other property tax on pleasure automobiles in Ohio.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,533
    sda said:

jmonroe1 said:

@jmonroe1,
    Don't want to use that fallback, my dining room table isn't big enough. Maybe I should expand the leafs "just in case". :p

Well, that depends on whether you have straight away speed or speed in the turns. When Mrs. j started gaining on me on the straight aways I took the leafs out of the table because I figured I could get away from her in the turns and I was right. Which got me to thinking that if we had a round table I could lap her but I'm not really sure I should do that. :o

jmonroe
    You haven’t bought that new dining room suite for her yet? No wonder she cases you with a switch!
    Funny you should mention that. About two weeks ago she said something about her dining room suite and how she doesn't even want to replace it anymore. I couldn't leave well enough alone and I said something like, "I know that and because you've been so good about that, I decided to buy you a car". That did it, she said, "huh, you bought me a car"? And she said it again, "you bought me a car? You bought that car because YOU wanted it. I was satisfied with my old car".

For a second there, I thought I was in for a few laps. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    driver100 said:

ronsteve said:

driver100 said:

@ronsteve,
    Well there is a dedicated bike lane connected to a brand new bridge crossing the same road a 100 yards t their right.
    If they had bunched up a bit, a vehicle could get by, but they spread themselves out so you had to wait behind them.
    Not the end of the world, but inconsiderate of others.

I see them too, they ride in 2s or 3s and take up a whole lane. Cars coming from behind have to wait to pass or try to pass and hope cars going in the opposite direction will move over a bit.
    They live in their own little world and think they are saving the planet, but, they don't care about your safety.
    For a motorist to pass a cyclist safely, they need to leave 3 feet of clear space. If the lane is too narrow for that, a savvy cyclist will move out toward the center so a driver will see that it's not safe to pass. When a cyclist rides all the way against the white line, stupid motorists will try to squeeze past in the same lane and that's when you get overly close passes or even collisions.

If oncoming traffic makes it impossible to pass a cyclist with 3 feet of clearance, the obvious solution is to WAIT UNTIL IT IS SAFE TO PASS. Usually it's a matter of a few seconds, rarely does it end up being even a minute. Is a few seconds of your time actually more valuable than another person's life?!
    Excellent points. My problem is I go along a very busy 2 lane windy road with lots of hills and curves in the morning. I am just going to tennis so not in a rush, other people are trying to get to work. Someone can come around a curve at 50 or go over a hill....sometimes both, and there is the cyclist and the car has no choice but to try and squeeze around the cyclist. There must be roads with less traffic around.
    As a bicyclist I avoid roads like that like the plague. When it comes down to it the safety of the cyclist lies on the cyclist.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,553

🤮
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    Wagon was over $600, but the fintail is $0 due to vintage plates, so it evens out a little, and insurance just went down $10/month for some reason, so it could be worse.
    ab348 said:

It's right around 110 yankee green backs for the cars and 45 for the bike.

ronsteve said:

ab348 said:

The usual conversation in our house about Viking River Cruises goes something like this (captioned A and B because roles are interchangeable):

I have always wanted to do a riverboat cruise along one of th major rivers here.

Did you know that they do cruises on the Great Lakes?

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,071
    driver100 said:

Love the brewery, especially their blueberry wheat beer with 5 blueberries floating in it.

I don't like floaties in anything I'm drinking, unless it's an ice cube.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,071

Geez, how much would it be if they used road salt in the winter? :laughing:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    In CT passenger vehicles are $100 for 2 years. Trucks can be by GVW over a certain limit or if you register as a combination(business/personal).
    We do pay property tax based on vehicle value and town property tax rate.
    Even my 28 year old Mustang gets charged about $60 a year.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    thebean said:

Big congrats, Mike!

Ditto Mike, and I’m glad the office let you know before the weekend. Less worry time.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,635
    abacomike said:

Just got a call from my doctor - PET-Scan shows no evidence of cancer or any other anomalies. Whewwwww! Made it through another year cancer-free. So it’s been 3-years now that I am a cancer survivor. Yeah! ✋👋🙏🤙😀

That’s great news Mike!😃

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

ab348 said:

About $60-70 a year in NY. Based on weight not value.

I get the same cruise mailers.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    Great news, @abacomike. Be well.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

ronsteve said:

ab348 said:

I have always wanted to do a riverboat cruise along one of th major rivers here.

Did you know that they do cruises on the Great Lakes?
    I think you can also catch a cruise of the Erie Canal that starts in NYC and ends in the Great Lakes.

Hey Mike, glad your checkup had good results.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Those of us who are Acura fans might find this interesting. This is what I’m waiting for.....

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/acura-type-s-sedan-teaser-monterey-car-week/
    pensfan83 said:

Speaking of maintenance the Acura reminded me it's time for it's oil change/tire rotation and this time the rear differential fluid is to be changed. Called the indie shop that services the Prelude and with coupon the dealer is actually cheaper for the rear diff fluid change.

My Acura dealer is super competitive on most services. Replacing filters? Not so much. I do those myself.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    My Ford's are so cheap to maintain, I like to throw the tech a bone.
    Taking the Fusion in for 'The Works' and going to ask to change cabin air filter.
    I'm sure I could do it myself.
    Not up to 20k yet, but have had it for almost 3 years.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    one of the few things in NJ that are reasonable is car registration. Depends on class (I assume weight based) but I think the RDX is about $65/year, and we don't pay personal property tax on cars. Of course, that is made up for by the ridiculous property taxes on houses!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Here in CT we pay lots of property taxes on our homes.
    I just noticed after going to the grocery store last Sunday, we get taxed on any discount we get with a loyalty card.
    Bought 3 cases of water and saved $5, but got taxed on the $5 discount.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Thanks everyone for your kind and meaningful thoughts and words. Some of you are also cancer survivors and know what it’s like to wake up every morning wondering if the cancer has returned. It’s a constant irritant.

Thanks again.

2021 Genesis G90

Here in CT we pay lots of property taxes on our homes.
    I just noticed after going to the grocery store last Sunday, we get taxed on any discount we get with a loyalty card.
    Bought 3 cases of water and saved $5, but got taxed on the $5 discount.

I do believe that most states tax that discount, that discount is considered a rebate and most states tax you on the pre rebate price as they view it as a payment from the seller and not a price discount.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    abacomike said:

Thanks everyone for your kind and meaningful thoughts and words. Some of you are also cancer survivors and know what it’s like to wake up every morning wondering if the cancer has returned.

Indeed this is great news for you. Best of all is that the doctor called you with results as soon as the scan results were read by the radiologist. So you didn't have to wait and wonder.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Great news, Mike. I'm at 7 years. HAve met people that are better than 20-year survivors. All good.

I'm still aiming to live to 100. So far so good.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,961
    The Accord is wondering who this sassy white girl wearing 4 rings is doing in Pilot's crib.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Hopefully this is legible. My Audi customer service was able to provide the original window sticker.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited August 2019
    Today I drove to Madison, Indiana, which is a charming town with a gourmet chocolate shop, good coffee shops and other stuff in the historic downtown, Clifty Falls State Park, etc. For part of the day I went bike riding on my folding bike that's almost always in my trunk. And then for part of the day I hiked up an abandoned railroad line that has been opened to walk "at your own risk." It was fun!

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    benjaminh said:

Today I drove to Madison, Indiana, which is a charming town with a gourmet chocolate shop, good coffee shops and other stuff in the historic downtown, Clifty Falls State Park, etc. For part of the day I went bike riding on my folding bike that's almost always in my trunk. And then for part of the day I hiked up an abandoned railroad line that has been opened to walk "at your own risk." It was fun!

I can see from the picture of the rocks on the train tracks why it says “enter at your own risk”. I’ve been in a few bars that should have had that sign. :s

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702

benjaminh said:

I can see from the picture of the rocks on the train tracks why it says “enter at your own risk”. I’ve been in a few bars that should have had that sign. :s

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    omarman said:

benjaminh said:

Now that’s funny.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited August 2019
    sda said:

Hopefully this is legible. My Audi customer service was able to provide the original window sticker.

Very nicely equipped! I love the B & O audio. One thing that is now a must for me, and on my last two cars, is the surround camera.
    benjaminh said:

I love exploring new areas, how cool.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    Clifty Falls is cool. We used to go there and drink when I was in college, nearby.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    edited August 2019
    benjaminh said:

Hey, I didn’t know Mike Wolfe was on this message board. ;b

https://images.app.goo.gl/ES5C2Sxz5ZFFp9GQ6

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    nicely loaded Q5.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

sda said:

If you're willing, would you mention how much you ended up paying for this beauty with the original msrp of $49k?
    edited August 2019
    A few more scenes from Madison, Indiana, in a collage made with help from google. The local hair salon is called "Curl Up & Dye Again"! The Madison Fountain is where their farmer's market is held.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    Hanover College is a beautiful campus

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

benjaminh said:

We took a ride to Bishop Hill, IL, a small town about 25 miles south east of the Quad Cities. It has a population of about 125 and is situated in the middle of nowhere. The did a pretty good job at preserving the town and had a few nice shops as well as a lovely little historical park. We ate at a small little restaurant there that had one of the best burgers I have had and a slice of rhubarb pie. When the check came they told us that they dont take credit cards just cash or checks. The waitress told us if we didn't have the cash to pay she would give us the bill and we can mail them a check. We asked about that policy and they told us that everyone sent them the money.

benjaminh said:

sda said:

If you're willing, would you mention how much you ended up paying for this beauty with the original msrp of $49k?
    It was listed at a VW dealer where I’ve done a lot of business in the past for $26616. In the end before taxes and fees, it was a difference of $19.6k with the paid for Pilot as trade. The Pilot, though very clean and needed nothing was almost 10 model years old with 139k. It seemed to be fair price overall. The Q5 is like new, one owner lease return. Coincidentally it had 26.6k miles on it when we bought it.

I thought they’d wholesale the Pilot, but they had it on their lot two days later and it was sold within the week!

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @sda .....beautiful Q5. Congrats on the punch!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    I felt industrious yesterday and hand washed and dried all three cars and then proceeded to weed eat and mow the lawn. Yes, I slept well. The headlights were starting to haze again on the TL so I polished and put a coat of wax on them. Hopefully that will buy me time before I have to repeat.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    sda said:

benjaminh said:

sda said:

It was listed at a VW dealer where I’ve done a lot of business in the past for $26616. In the end before taxes and fees, it was a difference of $19.6k with the paid for Pilot as trade. The Pilot, though very clean and needed nothing was almost 10 model years old with 139k. It seemed to be fair price overall. The Q5 is like new, one owner lease return. Coincidentally it had 26.6k miles on it when we bought it.

I thought they’d wholesale the Pilot, but they had it on their lot two days later and it was sold within the week!
    Sounds like you made a great deal on a great SUV. Wishing you many years of driving pleasure! 😁

2021 Genesis G90

edited August 2019

And while I'm on a roll, one thing I like about the TL that the TLX and Q5 don't have is a soft touch lower door panel. They are hard plastic.

abacomike said:

sda said:

benjaminh said:

sda said:

Sounds like you made a great deal on a great SUV. Wishing you many years of driving pleasure! 😁
    Thanks Mike, we are really happy with it. I am so glad about your positive health news and can’t wait until your lease expires to learn what you get next!